Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Space T Rex posted:

Mr. Poopy Butthole is obviously real you nerds. In his elevator memory Jerry was Beth's wife, not Sleepy Dan/Dave/Gary whatever his name is. If he was fake that memory would have had reinforced the delusions that sleepy whatever is the husband.

The flashback is the mechanism by which they breed, she didn't have a fake husband yet because they hadn't spawned fake husband's parasite yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Filthy Haiku
Oct 22, 2010

i am shattering like glass

but at least
i have

springy ride
I think I need to present them with an award for getting dorks on the internet to have actual discussion about a character named Mr Poopy Butthole.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Not enough love for Frankenstein('s Monster) admitting he "was on the wrong end of the pitchfork on this one."

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009
I'm also a fan of when Jerry is calling 911 at the end and pauses when he says "My wife just shot...a treasured family friend" because you know he was about to say "Mister Poopy Butthole" and realized how the phone call would've turned out from that point on.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Aids!

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Pooey Butt was unarguably real. It's a joke that, if you must ascribe a logical reasoning to it, has the whole 'this is a universe where Mr. Poopy Butthole has been a part of their life' going for it.

But yeah it's just funny and tragic and bizarre.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

it sure would be cool if rick and morty got to do the next nintendo direct for E3 as a result of this

esp since adult swim has a pre-existing relationship with them

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Toxxupation posted:

it sure would be cool if rick and morty got to do the next nintendo direct for E3 as a result of this

esp since adult swim has a pre-existing relationship with them

Jerrys Game really does seem like a good fit for the WiiU

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Now I want to play Rick and Morty's Bloated Budget Next Gen Adventure series.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I don't think the wii u is capable of playing roy

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Look, Morty, what I'm gonna need you to do is take this gun and spray ink EVERYWHERE!

Aw gee, I dunno Rick, isn't that something a squid should do?

You're a kid, right?! That's about the same thing!

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
Morty, morty, morty, rick?, rick? RICKANDMORTY

Not an Owl
Oct 29, 2011
I wasn't really feeling the past couple of episodes for whatever reason, but other than the Jerry plot this episode was phenomenal.

Giggle Goose
Oct 18, 2009
I honestly think that we saw a non-C137 Rick and Morty for a number of different reasons.

1. The show really implies that Mr. PB is real not only because of the events of the episode but also because of the deliberately modified intro. This combined with his not being a parasite really illustrates his central importance to the existing narrative of the Rick and Morty (and sometimes Summer) dynamic.

2. I think that there were a number of real character differences in the episode. First of all, while Rick has always been a little cavalier about his treatment of Morty and Summer this episode shows him doing things that were straight up cruel to Morty, the scale of which we haven't seen without it being balanced out soon after with something kind.

While Riskyminutes (or whatever the TV show episode was called) showed that a successful version of Beth became a heavy drinker, nothing else in the show has ever really suggested (at least not that I remember) that C137 Beth is the sort of person to get sloppy wasted in the middle of the day and then hit her daughter with a bottle, accident or otherwise. Beth usually seems like a pretty driven person and it seems out of character, although it is probably just a way to make her more interesting.

Jerry's (fake) homosexual relationship hasn't really had any sort of precedent in the show yet, although it probably has more to do with his desire to be loved than anything else. I am looking forward to see if this goes anywhere else.

3. Finally, while the rules have never really been made clear as to how much the other people on Earth C137 know about the existence of aliens and other dimensions there didn't seem to be any surprise on the part of anyone that someone like Mr. PB existed. Of course this could also be said for the Series Finale of Season 1.

Ultimately though none of this matters and I know that I shouldn't be thinking about it. But I just can't help myself.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Giggle Goose posted:

I honestly think that we saw a non-C137 Rick and Morty for a number of different reasons.

1. The show really implies that Mr. PB is real not only because of the events of the episode but also because of the deliberately modified intro. This combined with his not being a parasite really illustrates his central importance to the existing narrative of the Rick and Morty (and sometimes Summer) dynamic.

2. I think that there were a number of real character differences in the episode. First of all, while Rick has always been a little cavalier about his treatment of Morty and Summer this episode shows him doing things that were straight up cruel to Morty, the scale of which we haven't seen without it being balanced out soon after with something kind.

While Riskyminutes (or whatever the TV show episode was called) showed that a successful version of Beth became a heavy drinker, nothing else in the show has ever really suggested (at least not that I remember) that C137 Beth is the sort of person to get sloppy wasted in the middle of the day and then hit her daughter with a bottle, accident or otherwise. Beth usually seems like a pretty driven person and it seems out of character, although it is probably just a way to make her more interesting.

Jerry's (fake) homosexual relationship hasn't really had any sort of precedent in the show yet, although it probably has more to do with his desire to be loved than anything else. I am looking forward to see if this goes anywhere else.

3. Finally, while the rules have never really been made clear as to how much the other people on Earth C137 know about the existence of aliens and other dimensions there didn't seem to be any surprise on the part of anyone that someone like Mr. PB existed. Of course this could also be said for the Series Finale of Season 1.

Ultimately though none of this matters and I know that I shouldn't be thinking about it. But I just can't help myself.

All of this is easily explained by parasites that alter your memory.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
Stop making excuses for lazy writing.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe

Filthy Haiku posted:

I think I need to present them with an award for getting dorks on the internet to have actual discussion about a character named Mr Poopy Butthole.

Yes, we should, because this is no small feat. It is extremely hard to get dorks on the Internet to have actual discussions about mostly meaningless fictional characters. It's almost as hard to get people to do that as it is to find examples of sarcasm delivered without emoticons.

To be fair, though, it's hard to get people arguing like this over whether or not a new, zany character is truly real, especially when the premise of the episode in which he is introduced directly contradicts any argument for him being real, and the ending of the episode directly contradicts the premise of the episode in relation to that one new, zany character.

Then again, Rick did break the fourth wall to comment about how the living room had become a Where's Waldo game, and then he told us that commercials were coming, so it doesn't really matter all that much. It's a TV show.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

ElCondemn posted:

But the memory of Rick pushing Morty down the stairs is a real memory.

Giggle Goose
Oct 18, 2009

ElCondemn posted:

Yeah but the major character differences occur in the bad memories that the actual family have of one another. They aren't implied as being products of parasitical influence. Don't get me wrong, I know that this sort of theorizing is totally dumb and a waste of time, but then again so are most things, and I have always found it entertaining.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

r0ck0 posted:

Stop making excuses for lazy writing.

It's not lazy when they specifically lay the foundation for stuff like it.

I agree that Rick was uncharacteristically harsh towards Morty. The rick we're accustomed to has been specifically highlighted as sharing more affection for Morty than most. (Crying when he's hooked up to that gizmo and sees all the times he shared with the lil guy.)

This is "our" Rick- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcMuGCsD0hM

Although Morty did have a gun to his head. So.

Trash Trick fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Aug 17, 2015

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

r0ck0 posted:

But the memory of Rick pushing Morty down the stairs is a real memory.

Is it though? Mr Poopy Butthole was never in the show before, but suddenly he is and with his introduction we're also introduced to some crisis involving memory alteration. All we know is Morty thinks he figured it out yet one character is still out of place, there's really no reason to believe any of their memories are real or that his hypothesis was correct. Also who knows why Rick pushed Morty down the stairs and made fun of him in front of some girls, that could've been an alternate dimension rick or a robot clone, we don't know the context other than what we saw. Of course that memory could have also been made up too, there's no telling, we have no details other than a bunch of inconsistent actions leading to a pretty awesome depressing ending for Beth.

Giggle Goose
Oct 18, 2009

a cop posted:

It's not lazy when they specifically lay the foundation for stuff like it.

I agree that Rick was uncharacteristically harsh towards Morty. The rick we're accustomed to has been specifically highlighted as sharing more affection for Morty than most. (Crying when he's hooked up to that gizmo and sees all the times he shared with the lil guy.)

This is "our" Rick- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcMuGCsD0hM

Although Morty did have a gun to his head. So.

I guess that I was referring less to the gun to the head scene and more so to the flashbacks of Rick's cruelty and total disdain for Morty's well being. If you watch those flashbacks carefully, you see that way worse things are happening to Morty than we have ever seen. With the possible exception of the attempted rape that is.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Giggle Goose posted:

I guess that I was referring less to the gun to the head scene and more so to the flashbacks of Rick's cruelty and total disdain for Morty's well being. If you watch those flashbacks carefully, you see that way worse things are happening to Morty than we have ever seen. With the possible exception of the attempted rape that is.

Morty's had some pretty hosed up stuff happen to him, in the first episode Rick made him stick a giant seed in his rear end that eventually lead to him being essentially brain dead and in massive pain. Morty's world was turned into monsters and he and Rick just hopped to another dimension and took over their dead double's lives and Rick doesn't care for a second. Rick is pretty hosed up and lets Morty get pretty hosed up, we're not even sure this Morty is the same Morty Rick started with.

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science
I'm convinced all this arguing is just going to lead to a thesis paper entitled The Poopy Butthole Paradox.

Giggle Goose
Oct 18, 2009

ElCondemn posted:

Morty's had some pretty hosed up stuff happen to him, in the first episode Rick made him stick a giant seed in his rear end that eventually lead to him being essentially brain dead and in massive pain. Morty's world was turned into monsters and he and Rick just hopped to another dimension and took over their dead double's lives and Rick doesn't care for a second. Rick is pretty hosed up and lets Morty get pretty hosed up, we're not even sure this Morty is the same Morty Rick started with.

Yeah I agree with this, although the whole Cronenberg universe was at least caused by Morty in some small way and Rick did try to help clean it up, albeit without success. Also, I don't remember an episode where it is implied that Morty might not be the OG Mortiest Morty from C137. Which one is that?

^^^^^

Oh I don't mean this to be an argument, I just enjoy discussing the implications of this show as I feel that it is particularly well-thought out and planned and therefore worthy of pointless speculation.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Giggle Goose posted:

Yeah I agree with this, although the whole Cronenberg universe was at least caused by Morty in some small way and Rick did try to help clean it up, albeit without success. Also, I don't remember an episode where it is implied that Morty might not be the OG Mortiest Morty from C137. Which one is that?

In the season 1 intro sequence we see him get left behind as Rick hops through a portal without Morty. Plus Rick implies Rick's just pick up new Morty's when they die in Close Rick-counters Of The Rick Kind (they even have Morty insurance). There are plenty of reasons to believe there is no continuum for our main characters, and it's definitely true that there's no continuum for the side characters.

the culminator
Oct 29, 2012
Didn't Rick's memories show that he did torture a morty with some jumper cables? So our Morty is definitely not his first one.

Not an Owl
Oct 29, 2011
But what would the point be? What would having the characters take part in different continuums add to the story? I think it's much more interesting to assume that this is the same Rick that recently attempted suicide and the Beth that took a risk in asking things of her father than just being other versions of these characters.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Not an Owl posted:

But what would the point be? What would having the characters take part in different continuums add to the story? I think it's much more interesting to assume that this is the same Rick that recently attempted suicide and the Beth that took a risk in asking things of her father than just being other versions of these characters.

IMO assume it's our original C-137 R&M unless we're given strict evidence to the contrary. Mr. Poopy Butthole being a long time family friend who lives in the house would imply it's a different universe. But you can just as easily rationalize it as a comedy show doing whatever it wants for comedy's sake. It works both ways.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

tarlibone posted:

Then again, Rick did break the fourth wall to comment about how the living room had become a Where's Waldo game, and then he told us that commercials were coming, so it doesn't really matter all that much. It's a TV show.
Morty, of course I can break the fourth wall. There's more walls Morty, always more walls. Your little braAAAP! brain only sees four walls and it looks like I'm driving right the hell through one with a dumpdruck, but there's more walls, Morty. I'm counting something like thirty-six walls. Thirty goddamn six walls, Morty, I can afford to break one. Hell, I may just break eight of them and put in a skylight, Morty! The fourth wall isn't even there, it never was, it's all in your head, like God or that time you thought that girl at Hot Dog On A Stick was flirting with you but she was actually just trying not to sneeze, Morty. It's like that, but everywhere.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Not an Owl posted:

Because it'd be fun to see alternate realities from time to time? This is Infinite TV from infinite universes, and we don't even need Crystallized Zanthonite!

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe

Robot Hobo posted:

Morty, of course I can break the fourth wall. There's more walls Morty, always more walls. Your little braAAAP! brain only sees four walls and it looks like I'm driving right the hell through one with a dumpdruck, but there's more walls, Morty. I'm counting something like thirty-six walls. Thirty goddamn six walls, Morty, I can afford to break one. Hell, I may just break eight of them and put in a skylight, Morty! The fourth wall isn't even there, it never was, it's all in your head, like God or that time you thought that girl at Hot Dog On A Stick was flirting with you but she was actually just trying not to sneeze, Morty. It's like that, but everywhere.

Oh oh oh, I don't know, Rick, I mean if you put in a skylight, I mean, isn't that more like breaking a ceiling, and not a wall? W-walls aren't ceilings, Rick. They're not roofs either. Y-y-y-you really gotta think about this one, Rick, I mean, a skylight in a wall is just a window, isn't it?

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Giggle Goose posted:

Maybe the episode was following C137 Jerry who may have been switched with the wrong family at the end of Mortynight Run.

Mustached5thGrader
Oct 1, 2011

My mother won't let me grow a goatee.
Summer's saying awesome when Rick throws the rocks away. I watch tv with headphones

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
Everybody has a bad memory of poopybutthole now, so he's probably real IMO

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Mustached5thGrader posted:

Summer's saying awesome when Rick throws the rocks away. I watch tv with headphones

I imagine that a significant portion of the goon viewership of this show watches, like me, on a monitor with headphones.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Man this show is great at coming up with these sci-fi monsters. There's something existentially hosed up about all the memories of somebody close to you being a total lie.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Mr. Poopybutthole is real, and strong, and he's my friend

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.

Fullhouse posted:

Mr. Poopybutthole is real, and strong, and he's my friend

New thread title.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Mustached5thGrader posted:

• Locked thread