Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

when are we getting a Tingle Amiibo???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Tingle's fake, amigos.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

i believe in tingle

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
Can you walljump like you could in the original super mario bros, is the important thing

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
the physics isn't exactly like any mario game but you can wall jump

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Tingle's fake, amigos.

Tingle is real

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

Borderlawns: The Treehouse of Pandora

nftyw posted:

Can you walljump like you could in the original super mario bros, is the important thing

There's no SMB1 walljump but if a stage uses the New SMB style you get a walljump.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Lynx Winters posted:

There's no SMB1 walljump but if a stage uses the New SMB style you get a walljump.

Incorrect. There is a glitch that allows obscenely precise wall jumping, favored by speedrunners and their ilk.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
Honestly I doubt it's something most people know about, I wouldn't have known it existed if not for a YouTube of one of those Kaizo level stages where they force you to use it.

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

Borderlawns: The Treehouse of Pandora

ikanreed posted:

Incorrect. There is a glitch that allows obscenely precise wall jumping, favored by speedrunners and their ilk.

Yeah I know about the SMB1 walljump. I'm talking about Mario Maker, the game this thread is about, which I why I mentioned the NSMBU walljump.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Mario Maker is not a serious attempt to accurately recreate the behaviour of any one Mario game.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Here's a shot of the Sonic skin - it looks like they just scaled down his Sonic 1 sprite, I guess? https://miiverse.nintendo.net/replies/AYQHAAABAACXVHhnCigWlQ

Spectacle Rock
May 24, 2013

Here's a shot of the Sonic skin - it looks like they just scaled down his Sonic 1 sprite, I guess? https://miiverse.nintendo.net/replies/AYQHAAABAACXVHhnCigWlQ

Now I've seen everything!

We've yet to see what happens (if anything) when an Amiibo Costume Mario gets a regular Super Mushroom. Probably nothing, but it'd be neat if they got "bigger."

Also, it seems that each user created Mario Maker Stage uploaded to Miiverse is given a unique 16 character hexadecimal code.

So, that means there is a theoretical maximum of 18,446,744,073,709,551,616 uploaded to Miiverse Super Mario Maker levels that can exist online simultaneously at any given time.

Nintendo did say that levels won't remain indefinitely, so at least they can keep a lot online at once if they feel like it.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

kind of odd since sonic did have 8-bit games

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

this is trippy as gently caress

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Motto posted:

kind of odd since sonic did have 8-bit games

Maybe SEGA has some rule that he can only be depicted as 16-bit Sonic if he's ever referenced in sprite form?

Which would be an odd rule considering how they flooded the Virtual Console shop with all those 8-bit Sonic games back in the Wii days.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I'm guessing the scaled down 16bit sprite was used because its much more iconic than the 8bit one.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Toad appears after you beat a castle, or maybe during a 10/100 Mario Challenge, and reacts to Amiibo suits

Also, here's Olimar:

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE

Color Printer posted:

Toad appears after you beat a castle, or maybe during a 10/100 Mario Challenge, and reacts to Amiibo suits

Can't wait for somebody to make a twenty minute YouTube compilation of all the special dialogue so I don't have to spend a million hours playing to see them all myself.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Maybe SEGA has some rule that he can only be depicted as 16-bit Sonic if he's ever referenced in sprite form?

Which would be an odd rule considering how they flooded the Virtual Console shop with all those 8-bit Sonic games back in the Wii days.

He should turn into his sprite from Sonic Triple Trouble.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

TechnoSyndrome posted:

Can't wait for somebody to make a twenty minute YouTube compilation of all the special dialogue so I don't have to spend a million hours playing to see them all myself.

Are you ready for the video to be one hour long because the GameExplain guy comments and analyzes every single one before showing the next?

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Hooray!

Spectacle Rock
May 24, 2013
This game cannot come out fast enough. This game seems to have almost everything.

I don't like the 120 downloaded levels saved locally on the Wii-U at once limit. There should either be no limit (as long as you have the hard drive space) or the limit should be so large you'd almost never reach it, like 9999 levels.

But, 120 is a good number for Nintendo.

Also, we need to see Ness' Amiibo form for Mario. Probably a shrunk down Ness, but they could go with Ninten from Mother 1 (or the small sprite from the Dinosaur Section of Earthbound)

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
My understanding wrt amiibo costumes is the secret mushroom powerup replaces the super mushroom powerup and falls off when you get hit. Is that not the case?

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Total speculation: I wonder if NES Remix was a test run for the Mario Maker engine. Some of the levels in that game which were too different from the originals to just be romhacks had the same background shadow effect from Mario Maker. And if so... could we be seeing DLC that lets us use tools from other games? Maybe an actual Zelda 2 Link, instead of just a skin?

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

GameXplain video showing off some costumes, including Donkey Kong, Yoshi, Peach, and Luigi (Peach plays SMB2 music and Luigi's end course theme is the Boss Key jingle from Luigi's Mansion, holy poo poo):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQN6Zcg-_zY

NintenDaan video showing off even more costumes:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9a9JjbUsAM

GameXplain video showing off 10 Mario Challenge:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPYADlBVghQ

A video showing off some more costumes in the beginning, including the sprites for Pikachu, Mega Man, the Splatoon characters:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZEi-b__QUs

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Color Printer posted:

GameXplain video showing off some costumes, including Donkey Kong, Yoshi, Peach, and Luigi (Peach plays SMB2 music and Luigi's end course theme is the Boss Key jingle from Luigi's Mansion, holy poo poo):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQN6Zcg-_zY

NintenDaan video showing off even more costumes:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9a9JjbUsAM

GameXplain video showing off 10 Mario Challenge:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPYADlBVghQ

A video showing off some more costumes in the beginning, including the sprites for Pikachu, Mega Man, the Splatoon characters:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZEi-b__QUs

Its beautiful.... words cannot describe this

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
So there is actually a "traditional" unlock method for all the amiibo skins? Have they explained how it's supposed to work? From that video it looks like it isn't just more time-release stuff.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Yeah!

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Minidust posted:

So there is actually a "traditional" unlock method for all the amiibo skins? Have they explained how it's supposed to work? From that video it looks like it isn't just more time-release stuff.

Personally, I doubt it. They're an aesthetic "nice to have" feature, which every other title had gated fully behind amiibo.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Every time you Yeah! a post on Miiverse the enthused Luigi sound clip will now play on the gamepad.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

I'm pretty sure they or someone have said you can unlock the Mystery Mushroom skins through 100 Mario Challenge.

EDIT: A-yup, here it is in action.

Holy poo poo, the ending cutscene with Toad probably changes graphically/musically with all four game styles AND he probably says something for each costume too. Holy poo poo

edit 2: Pikachu and probably all of the other Pokemon don't come with their own sound effects and music. Thanks Game Freak/The Pokemon Company

Color Printer fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Aug 18, 2015

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Color Printer posted:

edit 2: Pikachu and probably all of the other Pokemon don't come with their own sound effects and music. Thanks Game Freak/The Pokemon Company

I wonder if Pokemon costumes were a super late addition and they were originally just going to unlock like, the mystery mushroom itself like with Wooly World.

Like it probably got really silly that Sonic, Mega Man and Pac-Man were getting representation in Mario Kart and Wooly World but they couldn't get through enough red tape to get a Pikachu outfit for anyone.

Viewtiful Jew fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Aug 18, 2015

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
This is it, this is what Mario Maker is all about condensed into one video. (sans amiibo costumes)

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
the ui for the game is so loving slick :D

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Super Mario Meme Run

Plasbad
Oct 2, 2013
Do we know if the Amiibo costumes can only be used in SMB1 style or if there's a version for each style?

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

Plasbad posted:

Do we know if the Amiibo costumes can only be used in SMB1 style or if there's a version for each style?

They're SMB1 only. SMB3 gets the Racoon Suit, SMW gets the Cape, NSMBU gets the Propeller Suit.

This is loving hysterical to me for some reason

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Plasbad posted:

Its just smb1 style

• Locked thread