Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

mentholmoose posted:

Speaking as a Flyers fan, I was better off forgetting Patrik Elias existed.

In the mean time, one defensive defenseman is surely enough, which is why I'm going to take Justin Schultz. Yeah, he's terrible without the puck, but his fancy stats picked up last season, he only just turned 25 so he probably still has room to grow as a player, and his talent with the puck is enormous. I'm hoping if I cut down on his minutes a tiny bit as well he'll be able to put up better possession numbers.

Jakub Voracek - Henrik Sedin - Patrick Kane
Dylan Strome - Bryan Little - Jarome Iginla
? - Mikael Backlund - Cody Eakin

Sami Vatanen - Andrei Markov
Morgan Rielly - Braydon Coburn
Justin Schultz - ?

Semyon Varlamov

Furnaceface is up.

He's trash and Klefbom stole his spot (also the reason that Schultz's fancy stats got better).

He's fine where you've got him though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

Gibson rules but I was surprised he got taken first. Gibson will probably be more consistent and durable but Vasy is a year younger and his quickness and athleticism make me jizz everywhere. He's a Vezina contender in a couple years, and I think he can repeat his .918 as a backup for me until then. All I need is a ho-hum veteran who can play 50-55 games and not be terrible and I'll feel very good about my team.

They are basically the same level of prospect and I haven't watched either of them so I have no further opinion.

Had I been awake I totally would have suggested that team consensus take Vasilevsky just to screw you over, though. Not that there aren't other goaltending prospects left but the rest of you suck for letting the best one drop.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Wow you guys hauled rear end the last little bit. I was really hoping for Etem but so it goes. My forward list is super thin right now but its something I can adjust to. So with that in mind I might as well finish off my D corps for now and take Paul Martin. He has big fancy stats, Pens fans love him, and other stuff. I dont know, I havnt really watched the guy but East fans almost all agree he is (was?) good at defending. Ill stick him with Oduya because that would be a cool old guy pairing. Yeah.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.
drat.

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

Martin was my guy so since he's taken, I'll invoke the ehrhoff ruling by tofes 3 pages back and take mystery man Cody Franson and hope some dumb team doesn't overpay for him

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Oh here's my team:

Pacioretty - Bergeron - Hornqvist
JJokinen - Zibanejad - Fehr
Pouliot - Bonino

AGreene - Carlson
Hickey - Klingberg

Anderson/JGibson

No young guns yet but I think it's solid all around and this should finally be the year when my goaltending doesn't peak in November and then fall to poo poo afterwards. Right wing is still a weak point like on many teams but there are flyers (not Flyers) left to be taken.

I picked Fehr because he's a RW converted to C and can play both positions and his stats, fancy or otherwise, are pretty good. As you know, you can never have enough centers, especially Pens centers who aren't Crosby/Malkin. He had better start scoring in the drat playoffs though. I would have preferred to pick Read again but oh well. Gibson is the top goaltending prospect in hockey and I won't hear otherwise. Unfortunately he'll probably be stuck in the AHL for another season thanks to the Ducks signing some kind of backup for Andersen but oh well, that may help him out in the long run. On my team he'd probably pick up 25-30 starts when Anderson inevitably injures himself.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Furnaceface posted:

Wow you guys hauled rear end the last little bit. I was really hoping for Etem but so it goes. My forward list is super thin right now but its something I can adjust to. So with that in mind I might as well finish off my D corps for now and take Paul Martin. He has big fancy stats, Pens fans love him, and other stuff. I dont know, I havnt really watched the guy but East fans almost all agree he is (was?) good at defending. Ill stick him with Oduya because that would be a cool old guy pairing. Yeah.

He's a legit number 1 when he's not broken to bits (which was every damned season, usually at the worst times).
If he has any semblance of a healthy season he might drat well be the steal of the draft coming this late.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high
k time for me to draft a dman

so get ready for another asstastic pick, everybody tell me how much he sucks (I cant evaluate dmen, i'm hoping he's a puck mover to just dish the puck to my awesome offense)

flyers 2.0 will select Kris Russell

does he solidify my defense or liquefy it more into a diarrhea tornado?

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Here's my team:

David Perron - Matt Duchene - Blake Wheeler
Cedric Paquette - Evegeni Kuznetsov - Cam Atkinson
Emerson Etem - JT Miller - Tomas Jurco

Keith Yandle - Seth Jones
Paul Postma - Andrej Sustr

Bobrovsky

I don't know about this one. It's decent on potential, but I need to get some veteran defensemen sometime soon.

E: AND THERE IT JUST loving WENT. Russell is a stay at home d-man, but he's decent enough at that going by fancystats.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

He's a legit number 1 when he's not broken to bits (which was every damned season, usually at the worst times).
If he has any semblance of a healthy season he might drat well be the steal of the draft coming this late.

I think his injury history and age are probably the 2 biggest scares with him and why he slid. Plus lets face it, outside of Pittsburgh he isnt that well known despite being really drat good at his job.

e: Im too ashamed to post my forwards so have my D instead

Trouba - PK Subban
Oduya - Martin
Nurse - J. Subban

Quick

Furnaceface fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Aug 18, 2015

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Boomer The Cannon posted:

E: AND THERE IT JUST loving WENT. Russell is a stay at home d-man, but he's decent enough at that going by fancystats.

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

maybe he meant "stay at home d man" as in "actively hurts your team unless he stays at home and skips the game"

at the same time i know nothing about the dude either, maybe hes actually good!

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET
It seems like when Russell was getting third-pairing ice time he was actually pretty good, but I guess he can't seem to handle the extra minutes.

I was debating between him and Schultz for my pick, but I liked that Schultz was younger.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Oilers take C Riley Nash

The corsi sharks are next

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

I have a hard time trusting those for really awful or really good possession systems teams. Teams like buffalo or Calgary or Toronto or Los Angeles. Much more important to go by relative Corsi on those teams imo

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013
In what is basically becoming Kings North, the Sharks take Trevor Lewis.

Habibi is up

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

Technetium posted:

I have a hard time trusting those for really awful or really good possession systems teams. Teams like buffalo or Calgary or Toronto or Los Angeles. Much more important to go by relative Corsi on those teams imo

with that in mind, here's a special guy who is still available and could put up a hero chart like this despite being on a really good possession team

how is he not taken yet?

And how is the coach who gave him top pairing minutes the final 25 games of the season still available as well

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

Technetium posted:

Those are relative corsi measurements

That said, it doesn't take into account usage and quality of competition or quality of teammates

tofes fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Aug 18, 2015

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

They're

eXXon posted:

Oh here's my team:

Pacioretty - Bergeron - Hornqvist
JJokinen - Zibanejad - Fehr
Pouliot - Bonino

AGreene - Carlson
Hickey - Klingberg

Anderson/JGibson

No young guns yet but I think it's solid all around and this should finally be the year when my goaltending doesn't peak in November and then fall to poo poo afterwards. Right wing is still a weak point like on many teams but there are flyers (not Flyers) left to be taken.

I picked Fehr because he's a RW converted to C and can play both positions and his stats, fancy or otherwise, are pretty good. As you know, you can never have enough centers, especially Pens centers who aren't Crosby/Malkin. He had better start scoring in the drat playoffs though. I would have preferred to pick Read again but oh well. Gibson is the top goaltending prospect in hockey and I won't hear otherwise. Unfortunately he'll probably be stuck in the AHL for another season thanks to the Ducks signing some kind of backup for Andersen but oh well, that may help him out in the long run. On my team he'd probably pick up 25-30 starts when Anderson inevitably injures himself.

They're really about even but I'll argue for Vasy. I think both will be Vezina contenders in the league and they're both really different. Gibson is calm as a cucumber and extremely technical and kinda unflappable. Vasy is more quickness, reflexes, and awareness and way more aggressive. I chose Vasilevsky because he's a year younger and I love watching him play more, but Gibson is a really safe bet and reminds me of Lundqvist or Price in how always always always square to the shooter he is.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
can I pick at 12? Or can RC Cola? I don't loving know

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

how the hell y'all don't know when you pick after 13 rounds of this i'll never know

rc cola is up at noon

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

Some people are just duuuuuuuumb

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

tofes posted:

Some people are just duuuuuuuumb

Its past noon and RC Cola said hed be out and we should consensus pick a D that is also an rear end in a top hat. Age/salary dont matter.

Id say [edited out for now] fills that role. Any objections?

e: He said someone not bad. Any good suggestions?

Furnaceface fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Aug 18, 2015

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

Has Bieksa been picked yet? He's an rear end in a top hat

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Gimme Matt Nieto. Pop in with a write-up later.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

tofes posted:

Has Bieksa been picked yet? He's an rear end in a top hat

He has. Adam Pardy is kind of a douche.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

andrew ference is a turd

Habibi posted:

Gimme Matt Nieto. Pop in with a write-up later.

dicks

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

I thought Ference was picked already so why dont we give him Erik Gudbranson. Guy is a total douche but also not bad at the hockeys.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

gudbranson has already been picked, ference is available from what i can tell on the spreadsheet

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
already picked, no?

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

ThinkTank posted:

He has. Adam Pardy is kind of a douche.

Emelin?

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

emelin is already gone, too. why did everyone take all the lovely dirty d-men already

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

tofes posted:

Emelin?

Already gone.

I didnt think picking a mediocre rear end in a top hat D would be this hard.

e: Lets stick with Pardy. His fancy stats are surprising and he still likes to chirp and poo poo talk like FCP so seems like it would work.

Furnaceface fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Aug 18, 2015

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

John Scott plays defense. Just gonna throw that out there.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Furnaceface posted:

Already gone.

I didnt think picking a mediocre rear end in a top hat D would be this hard.

e: Lets stick with Pardy. His fancy stats are surprising and he still likes to chirp and poo poo talk like FCP so seems like it would work.

rc cola gets pardy, T-Bone is up

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
I didn't know if he had been skipped yet you dickheads

anyway here's a risky pick maybe but I think there's a good chance he'll sign: Ilya Nikulin

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Aug 18, 2015

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Patrick Maroon aka Pat Falloon's alter ego

Paulocaust
Jan 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
pat falloon's alter ego is fat balloon, the obese slob he became mere years after being drafted

Verviticus posted:

i hate your defence but your forwards own

as much it pains me to compliment you, your team is one of the better ones here too.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Paulocaust posted:

as much it pains me to compliment you, your team is one of the better ones here too.

and he assembled it while sleeping through 80% of his picks! it's impressive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

I want Dylan Larkin.

• Locked thread