Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1w_bh2SuCvE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Besson
Apr 20, 2006

To the sun's savage brightness he exposed the dark and secret surface of his retinas, so that by burning the memory of vengeance might be preserved, and never perish.
Dang talib been in the game this long and still has no idea how to rap.

gucci bane
Oct 27, 2008

TenaciousTomato posted:

Not bad.

/turns on Young Dolph 16 Zips

Young Dolph is best output atm

edit: i made a mix a few weeks ago of cool southern rap with young dolph and other people in it https://soundcloud.com/commerz/dont-tread-on-b click on it if it interests u if not sorry!!!

gucci bane fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Aug 16, 2015

conventionalcat
Dec 17, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
To poster on the last page I guess us lurkers are going to see Straight Outta Compton in flocks. i just saw it for the second time last night and it stood up to repeat viewing, caught a lot more subtle foreshadowing and poo poo this time.

Definitely gets slower around the halfway point or so when it goes past the breakup stuff but has a satisfying endpoint. One of the better movies about rap so far (all the internet taglines are saying "its no Notorious!"). Could tell there was a personal touch and a lot of involvement from Dre and Cube / Cube's son, none of the details felt too glossed over

Lookin forward to watching it again in like a couple years! was exciting/inspiring/w.e movies are supposed to be

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
I'm gonna see it tonight. Pretty excited actually

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Is notorious really that good? I think i caught some of the beginning but i dont remember much.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4gmGYhr-7k

which one of you is the priest with the gucci tat?? fess up

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Straight Outta Compton was good just dont think the DOC got enough shine/credit. Basically just looked like a weed carrier and then a warning to Dre

the_american_dream fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Aug 17, 2015

conventionalcat
Dec 17, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

thathonkey posted:

Is notorious really that good? I think i caught some of the beginning but i dont remember much.

Nah, it was pretty cut and dry hollywood formula with brushed over story details. Sorry if my post wasnt clear

And yeah actually my one complaint about Straight Outta Compton is the focus was spread out a bit too much at parts, making core members like MC Ren seem like peripheral characters.

It did make Dr. Dre's album sound a lot better afterward tho

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

so loving future posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4gmGYhr-7k

which one of you is the priest with the gucci tat?? fess up

That's alan w the tattoo

Songs disappointing though but great pride in the video. For all the unreleased Gucci poo poo they have idk why they recycled that one

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014
Gucci Mane is still the best Rapper

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
He's at least the best mumbler :smug:

gucci bane
Oct 27, 2008

every trap house should have numerous framed photos of gucci like a shrine. best gucci tribute since yung lean donned the glasses
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PADUS_xtz8

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Harley C posted:

every trap house should have numerous framed photos of gucci like a shrine.

gucci bane
Oct 27, 2008

New father mixtape

https://soundcloud.com/liquor-cabinet/sets/crush-it-up-snort-it

only on sc right now

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Dang 16 zips is good thanks rap thred

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

hey rap thread, I listened to that Cage album Kill the Architect and really like how bleak the production sounds, is there anything similar out there?

A human heart fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Aug 17, 2015

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Straight outta Compton was really good.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Straight outta Compton was really good.
Yuuuuuuup. The 3 leads (Eazy E, Dre, Cube) knocked it out of the park.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

Absolutely. I want to see it again. The scene where Ice Cube was doing (small spoiler for the movie) No Vaseline and the NWA guys were appreciating it for what it was was awesome. I'd encourage everyone to see it. I'm sure they downplayed some things and played up some others but what are you going to do, it's a movie.

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CoHb7HQuA04

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
New Raz Simone:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZrmsUhTu_o

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

The Brokest Rapper You Know lives on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqrbSH4J8FM

ol yeller
Feb 20, 2015
sean price owned

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNqhrOAcLfM

ol yeller
Feb 20, 2015
Andre Nickatina has been around since the early 90's (when he used to be known as Dre Dog) and, like many Bay area dudes, was always ahead of his time. His first album (1993's New Jim Jones, named after the cult leader) features him crucified on the cover, him parodying the Geto Boys ("I sit alone in a four-cornered room taking a boo-boo!"), him bragging about how much he loves cocaine (but will not drink booze), and even has an entire track dedicated to an a capella freestyle. His music has elements of that memphis stuff everyone likes, but pushed through a west coast lens. It's a weird album where skits come in the middle of the songs, and his next album (1995's I Hate You With a Passion) followed in the same vein. Samples below:

Smoke Dope and Rap
Most Hated Man in Frisco
Lips
Powda 4 The Hoes
Killa Whale

After those he changed his name to Andre Nickatina, and went on a busy streak for the latter half of the 90's into the early 00's (similar to the other Dre from the bay). He predicts a lot of the modern sloppy rap stuff that's done by Lil B and Antwon and all those other Cloud guys. A lot of his stuff here actually got big play from college stations, which is bizarre considering those guys mostly played stuff like Rhymesayers or clangy NY stuff to my knowledge. After this period he kind of lost his spark but honestly most of what he does is still worth dipping into, although be aware the hit-miss ratio is nearly as bad as Lil B now.

Crack Raider Razor
Diamonds and Carrots
Sun Duck Kim
Alphabet Soup
Last Rap I'll Ever Write
Ayo For Yayo
Conversation With a Devil

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

d0s posted:

This rules thank you

It's weird but this album is doing the opposite of growing on me. The rad production got me at first but on repeat listenings I realize this rapper has absolutely nothing to say, like you can't get a sense of him as a person at all. I don't expect all rap to be super scientifical lyrical poo poo but this guy makes drake look like aesop rock. He'd be dope with a good ghostwriter though, and the videos are cool

e: I think it wouldn't be so weird if the marketing for this thing wasn't "crazy mysterious chicago rapper doing revolutionary groundbreaking poo poo!!" and you listen to it and every song is about twerkin and how hungry the dude is :geno:

d0s fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Aug 18, 2015

ol yeller
Feb 20, 2015

d0s posted:

It's weird but this album is doing the opposite of growing on me. The rad production got me at first but on repeat listenings I realize this rapper has absolutely nothing to say, like you can't get a sense of him as a person at all. I don't expect all rap to be super scientifical lyrical poo poo but this guy makes drake look like aesop rock. He'd be dope with a good ghostwriter though, and the videos are cool

e: I think it wouldn't be so weird if the marketing for this thing wasn't "crazy mysterious chicago rapper doing revolutionary groundbreaking poo poo!!" and you listen to it and every song is about twerkin and how hungry the dude is :geno:

Yeah its pretty much the reverse of what Mick Jenkins was for me last year

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

A human heart posted:

hey rap thread, I listened to that Cage album Kill the Architect and really like how bleak the production sounds, is there anything similar out there?

cage released an album called hell's winter ages ago and it's an amazing album. everything i've heard of his since that point has been dog poo poo though so ymmv

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

d0s posted:

Agreed. I liked it on the first listen (actually I... really liked the first track, the production was great) but I didn't hear anything on the album that would make me want to listen through again.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

this is a classic

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Another new Mac Miller track from GO:OD AM

http://www.audiomack.com/song/fashionably-early/break-the-law

Pretty good track, album is shaping up to be pretty good.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

A human heart posted:

When it came out I talked about how that was one of the bleakest albums front to back i'd heard. not much is gonna be continuously as dark. I'd try Cryptic One's "Anti-Mobius Strip Theory". Gravediggaz first album may also fit the bill for what you're looking for. Lil Ugly Mane has his moments (uneven compromise EP, and parts of the three sided tape series). You really wanna dig you can check old Sixtoo and Buck 65 releases. Also Alias from Anticon.

GentlemanBrofro
Mar 9, 2011

by Lowtax

d0s posted:

I think there's more to the lyrics it's just really difficult to tell what exactly is happening, the middle of the album is def the weakest part overall. They definitely had some filler in there. And its not like one dude, its apparently a crew of people which would explain their ridiculous production and videos. Like the song Jay-Z I'm pretty sure is about idol worship and being blinded by fame rather than having a passion for rap. The video having more to do with numerous socially conscious ideas. This album has that Indigoism problem of not making much sense of anything except the same topics keep being repeated. I don't know how to pin it down, guess we're just gonna have to wait for the next album.

On a more positive note: Have a transparent Waka Flocka Flame thread, including tiny Waka.

ol yeller
Feb 20, 2015

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

good song. funny cd cover.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
i like waka's new song https://soundcloud.com/wakaflockaflame/waka-flocka-workin

im gay
Jul 20, 2013

by Lowtax

bow bow bow bow bow bow bow bow bow bow bow bow bow bow bow bow bow bow

Besson
Apr 20, 2006

To the sun's savage brightness he exposed the dark and secret surface of his retinas, so that by burning the memory of vengeance might be preserved, and never perish.
Denzel Curry darkest rapper in the game.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

d0s posted:

All I really got out of the album is that some dude got really hosed up over his ex.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
pretty great video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8niW3JTj_I