Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.

Tunicate posted:

So, correct me if I'm wrong, but the ending is basically that episode from futurama where they travel forward in time so far they end up in the past?

The reset events of SC happened. Araki just really wanted to make a cowboy manga for a bit, and tied the events of SBR into JJL. Due to what I guess is 「Gravity」, there will always be Joestars and Brandos, just different iterations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

SBR and JJL are just a reboot, completely unrelated to the world at the end of SO. SO's ending was basically "the world reset so now the Joestars are free from the curse of Dio and the stone mask" while SBR is "ok, let's make a horse racing version of PB"

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

Tunicate posted:

So, correct me if I'm wrong, but the ending is basically that episode from futurama where they travel forward in time so far they end up in the past?

By any chance have you read Homestuck? If not I don't blame you it's trash.
If you have, then think of it like this: Pucci just Scratched the universe.

But actually, as someone above me just said, the universe that Emporio ended up in with Irene is NOT the SBR/Jojolion universe. Jojolion and SBR are another, separate alternate universe, in a completely different part of paradox space the multiverse.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

they're technically different universes but the truth is that it doesn't matter, just consider SBR and jojolion one of those universe resets after the events of arc 1-6 because why not

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

because being its own universe is cooler and frees it from ties to the old one

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i feel like the whole 'the universe reset' thing already kinda does that. it's not like araki said that any universes after the universe of arcs 1-6 had to be incredibly similar or some poo poo.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

it doesn't really do that because there's a joestar bloodline already in the sbr universe and it doesn't involve irene

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
It's hard to call it a "universe reset" when there are so many references to poo poo that happened in the old universe, but ultimately it doesn't matter and the old stuff is just there for fun.

Steel Ball Run is good and right, as is Jojolion so far. The new era of JoJo is far brighter than the last.

Syllables
Jul 2, 2011

XOF XOF XOF

:fag:
It's because their souls will live on in the new universe.

i just remember someone saying that although its a new universe, the souls of the past universe are in this one or something? i dunno

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Pucci's whole thing was that by resetting the universe like that, the souls of everyone outside him and the kid who was in his sphere of influence would live out their lives except their souls "remember" how things went before so they'll be at peace

or at least that's how the translation I read made it sound

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

setafd posted:

Pucci's whole thing was that by resetting the universe like that, the souls of everyone outside him and the kid who was in his sphere of influence would live out their lives except their souls "remember" how things went before so they'll be at peace

or at least that's how the translation I read made it sound
Yeah, that's it. But since Emporio defeated him before the universe could loop, it became slightly different, with Pucci and the people killed by MiH not existing. In the case of the latter they're basically reborn as alternate versions of themselves and are all drawn together by "gravity" despite Stone Ocean having never happened.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

When are we going to have Crisis on Infinite Jojos

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010
I've seen people parroting the whole "SBRverse is not Ireneverse" thing without actually providing any sources for a while now, so I looked it up and, surprise surprise, it's total bullshit.

Excerpt from an interview with Hirohiko Araki published in the "Aomaru Jump" special edition of Shounen Jump in early 2004, translated from a transcript provided by @JOJO (emphasis theirs):

Aomaru Jump posted:

――: The long-awaited "SBR(Steel Ball Run)" has finally launched, but it's not part 7 of "Jojo's Bizarre Adventure", correct?

Araki: As I'm sure people who've read part 6 of "Jojo" already know, the universe made a full loop and entered the next new world, which is the setting of "SBR". But the point of "SBR" isn't to illustrate a parallel "Jojo" world. Even though that's the premise of the story, it has no impact on the plot.

――: Is that why you removed "Jojo" from the title?

Araki: Yes. However, it's just fine for long-time fans to think of "SBR" as part 7 of "Jojo" - in other words, "SBR" is a new work that is a direct continuation of "Jojo".

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

Wasn't the universe just fastforwarded to the point of restarting again? That would mean that it's not so much a reset as it is set billions and billions of years after Stone Ocean.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Battle Tendency part 2 is now available digitally!

Comixology
iTunes
Amazon Kindle

If there's another service you can buy manga on, you can probably find it there too if Viz is a publisher on it.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
I use the viz app straight up on my iPhone, seems fine to me.

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here

Doc V posted:

I've seen people parroting the whole "SBRverse is not Ireneverse" thing without actually providing any sources for a while now, so I looked it up and, surprise surprise, it's total bullshit.

Excerpt from an interview with Hirohiko Araki published in the "Aomaru Jump" special edition of Shounen Jump in early 2004, translated from a transcript provided by @JOJO (emphasis theirs):

I was vindicated a decade before I even started insisting that they were the same thing!

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Araki changes his mind all the time and probably has considering Irene isn't on the SBR Joestar tree.

It doesn't really matter but I wouldn't take that interview as anything beyond original intent.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

it's entirely possible that, you know, either irene isn't old enough yet to be relevant, if at all, or that she's an offshoot that's not even going to be looked at in the slightest. just because she was present at the end of stone ocean doesn't mean araki automatically has to go to her at some point to make it 'canon'. he said what he did in the interview, just leave it at that. sure beats the hell out of the million instances of Araki Said (tm)

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

I just finished rereading SBR and I can confirm that it is the best jojos. I forgot how loving tense it gets in the end though; Johnny and Gyro are on the back foot for at least the last third of the story, which is really fitting since they're taking on the Fighting President himself.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

Doc V posted:

Saving this

Syllables
Jul 2, 2011

XOF XOF XOF

:fag:
To be honest I prefered the kinda "villian of the week" format part 3, 4 and to an extent 6 had.

It was just so cool seeing more stands and their abilities.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Doc V posted:

Next time this thread gets made this should be quoted in the OP.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

it's entirely possible that, you know, either irene isn't old enough yet to be relevant, if at all, or that she's an offshoot that's not even going to be looked at in the slightest. just because she was present at the end of stone ocean doesn't mean araki automatically has to go to her at some point to make it 'canon'. he said what he did in the interview, just leave it at that. sure beats the hell out of the million instances of Araki Said (tm)

Except Stone Ocean and JJL both take place in 2011

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Like it's really stupid to jump through a million hoops and say :supaburn: SBRverse is a continuation of the end of Part 6!!!!

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Or we could just say it’s JoJo so who care’s let’s just roll with it.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Who cares about Irene and co? They're obviously just there to say "it's a new universe!".

They're not relevant at all.

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Aug 18, 2015

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

It would be cool to get another GirlJo, whether it's Irene or not.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Irene is a name swapped Jolyne, I would hope Araki had better ideas if he did another girl Jojo.

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

Syllables posted:

To be honest I prefered the kinda "villian of the week" format part 3, 4 and to an extent 6 had.

It was just so cool seeing more stands and their abilities.

I think the best thing about jojos is that it's always changing and evolving.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Kurtofan posted:

Irene is a name swapped Jolyne, I would hope Araki had better ideas if he did another girl Jojo.

Uh no I'm perfectly fine with Jolyne showing up again

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Part 9 should be a brother-sister sibling Jojo team.

RaspberryCommie
May 3, 2008

Stop! My penis can only get so erect.
Twin siblings that are the SBR universe equivalents of Jolyne and Josuke. Yes, I know Josefumi is technically the SBR Josuke. I still want this.

I'd read it.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Doc V posted:

Interesting!
People are going off of an interview with Araki about All-Star Battle where he referred to it as a parallel universe (referring to the two Josukes existing in parallel universes). Looks like he either changed his mind by the time Jojolion came around or it's just another thing he forgot about.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
All Star Battle was a weird time for Araki he wasn't in the right state of mind

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Bad Seafood posted:

*prepares a goat for the altar, while chanting "Shizuka Joestar...Shizuka Joestar..."*

Ekusukariba
Oct 11, 2012
Part 9 should just be Giorno and Rohan in the new universe hanging out

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

just let kyoani do a dio slice of life

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Bad Seafood posted:

YES

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Jo & Jo.