Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

wait a minute......

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

Ernie. posted:

i win then. i'm a john.

Whatever works for you man.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

Quidnose posted:

My name is Nick!

hey me too! :hfive:

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

CCKeane posted:

Whatever works for you man.

jokes like these are the best thing about my name. i'm not even kidding.

i can go the whole day making euphemisms just by referring to myself in the third person.

yuming
Feb 26, 2008

dance dance dance
I was going to be named Abigail until my mom found the name Jasmine which Im glad for because I love my name.

I like the names Alice, Evelyn and Hazel.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Quidnose posted:

My name is Nick!

Kumbamontu posted:

hey me too! :hfive:

me three!

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

I haven't really made fun of the Red Sox enough this baseball season.

To be fair their players have made far more of a mockery of the team than I could ever.

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

I am Greg, and I only tend to encounter other Gregs in packs. Whether at school or work or whatever, I am either the only Greg or there are 4 or 5 of us. I don't understand this distribution. I have never seen a Greg-pair in the wild.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I never really had a nickname, everyone just called me by my last name. To the point where anyone I know from high school still does, including my wife

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Opopanax posted:

I never really had a nickname, everyone just called me by my last name. To the point where anyone I know from high school still does, including my wife

My last few relationships all had the other person calling me by my last name, which was always fun if I met the parents.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Imagine being named Adolf and then the nazis coming to power when you're 23

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
My names paul

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!
My name is Capitalist Pig irl

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
I just got a manual transmission car and oh boy teaching yourself to drive one is tricky haha.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

JakeP posted:

My names paul

I can confirm.

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

you can't take the sky from me
I'm a Kimberly, but the only person who calls me Kimberly is my grandpa. I've always been Kimmy. There are never any other Kimmys. Just me, a 28 year old with the nickname of a preschooler.

It's not all bad though, this year I was able to convince everyone in my freshman level music theory class that I'm my 21-year-old brother's twin. Having a child's name was kinda helpful there.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
i'm a dave but i go by jonas for reasons that best remain lost in the anals of time

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
ONLY THREE MORE SPACES WTF HOLY poo poo NOW IS VIRTUALLY YOUR LAST CHANCE TO PLAY IN A MAFIA GAME FOR GOD KNOWS HOW LONG JOIN NOW!

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3736881

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this
I'm a Jackson. I was going to be named Quentin, so I pretty much am eternally thankful for my name. I don't hate Quentin, I just like my name so much more.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

BottleKnight posted:

I'm a Jackson. I was going to be named Quentin, so I pretty much am eternally thankful for my name. I don't hate Quentin, I just like my name so much more.

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

you can't take the sky from me

BottleKnight posted:

I have never met a Quentin but in literature, Quentins are always self-centered douchebags.

Jackson is a family name on my dad's side, we call my little brother Jax, which is probably even more of a self-centered douchebag name but actually is a reference to a character in a Terry Brooks novel.

I actually get kinda annoyed when I think about how my siblings are named because I'm the oldest and got named Kimberly, and then the names got weirder/cooler as my parents had more kids. I have a sister named Aviva Cheri, which is the coolest loving name ever (IT'S A PALINDROME ARE YOU KIDDING ME), and another named Charis, which I picked and which is awesome simply because now that smartphones are a thing, she gets accidentally called Chairs all the time.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

I think that's unfair to Quentin Compson tbh

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

I know nothing about ufc so I don't get this reference

Look Under The Rock posted:

I have never met a Quentin but in literature, Quentins are always self-centered douchebags.

Jackson is a family name on my dad's side, we call my little brother Jax, which is probably even more of a self-centered douchebag name but actually is a reference to a character in a Terry Brooks novel.

I actually get kinda annoyed when I think about how my siblings are named because I'm the oldest and got named Kimberly, and then the names got weirder/cooler as my parents had more kids. I have a sister named Aviva Cheri, which is the coolest loving name ever (IT'S A PALINDROME ARE YOU KIDDING ME), and another named Charis, which I picked and which is awesome simply because now that smartphones are a thing, she gets accidentally called Chairs all the time.

Yeah I go by Jacks a lot. It's what my parents/sister call me. Good shortened names are very important when naming a kid.

For instance, I love the name Eleanor because it can be shortened to Ellie.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Tremendous Taste posted:

I think that's unfair to Quentin Compson tbh

one day I'll read a book and get this reference fully

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
the howling mans name is quinton jackson

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

uranus posted:

the howling mans name is quinton jackson

ahhhhh

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I'm a Mark with a K and if you spell it with a C you're the worst kind of person.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

TMMadman posted:

I'm a Mark with a K and if you spell it with a C you're the worst kind of person.

or French.

BottleKnight posted:

For instance, I love the name Eleanor because it can be shortened to Ellie.

Oh my God, it's like Abigail but not super popular. I may seriously consider this as a name for a child now.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

yeah basically just take the Bartlet women's names if you need any advice

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

You shouldn't have such a hipster attitude about your kids name, assina. You should cram a bunch of comic book references in there like me!

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

BottleKnight posted:

I know nothing about ufc so I don't get this reference

His name is Quenton "Rampage" Jackson

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Asiina posted:

or French.

What's the difference?

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

If I have a child I will name them Poopface McGillcuddy so they grow up strong, and learn that adults are senselessly cruel early.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
I had a dream last night I was a kid again, and I was meeting one of my mom's new boyfriends. His name was Dave, he was a balding, nebbish man wearing an off-white polo shirt and cargo shorts (despite being in his forties). He was driving me and one of my sisters to school when he decided to start smoking without rolling the windows down. I complained and called him disgusting and he said my mom would be unhappy to hear that "as we're getting along great, don't you want her to be happy?" I said no and insisted he pull over. I got out and tried to call an uber but it had trouble figuring out where I was (and I certainly didn't know either).

Namechat awoke my subconscious bias against daves, sorry not sorry to any daves in the audience, change your name you losers.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Opopanax posted:

You shouldn't have such a hipster attitude about your kids name, assina. You should cram a bunch of comic book references in there like me!

As someone who grew up with a lot of people around the same age with the same name, it really sucks, but I don't want something so unique that it's impossible to pronounce or spell cause I have that problem as well with Meghan having about a thousand different spellings and nobody ever guessing right on the first try. It's why I want a classy older name that everyone knows and can also spell, but isn't seen much anymore.

I've given this a lot of thought.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

TMMadman posted:

What's the difference?

:rimshot:

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
I was the only Jake in my class of 800 or so people. There was one other Jake in my school that was 2 years older than me. Seems weird for such a not uncommon name :shrug:

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

EccoRaven posted:

I had a dream last night I was a kid again, and I was meeting one of my mom's new boyfriends. His name was Dave, he was a balding, nebbish man wearing an off-white polo shirt and cargo shorts (despite being in his forties). He was driving me and one of my sisters to school when he decided to start smoking without rolling the windows down. I complained and called him disgusting and he said my mom would be unhappy to hear that "as we're getting along great, don't you want her to be happy?" I said no and insisted he pull over. I got out and tried to call an uber but it had trouble figuring out where I was (and I certainly didn't know either).

Namechat awoke my subconscious bias against daves, sorry not sorry to any daves in the audience, change your name you losers.

Ecco stop dreaming about things that have happened in my life.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
Well the problem with names is that we are all ultimately products of our environment, and while I too think Eleanor is a classy name, it's likely everyone else does, too, and in a few years it'll jump into the top 50. It's hard to find a name that's just perfect.

This is a fun website though for those who are expecting or expecting to be expecting:

http://www.babynamewizard.com/voyager

snip

EccoRaven fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Mar 27, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)
I'm Meinberg. I have sundered my given name to embrace my new, mononomic nature.

My favorite part when Asiina ran the Genius game was when the fact that Meinberg was my real name determined the winner of the game.