Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

mastervj posted:

I can't be arsed to pay attention to yet another HRC scandal, unfortunately.

dunno why anyone needs to know more than "she used to sit on the board of directors for Wal-Mart" to stop supporting her frankly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogstoyevsky
Oct 9, 2012

If there is no Dog, everything is permitted

One big thing about this poll, which I initially missed, is that Trump is now leading as 1st and 2nd choice amongst likely Republican voters. Meaning the traditional wisdom that support will consolidate primarily behind someone else once other candidates drop out is perhaps questionable?

PS Trump unfavorability is 59% wrap it up Trumpailures.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

zeal posted:

dunno why anyone needs to know more than "she used to sit on the board of directors for Wal-Mart" to stop supporting her frankly

Because that's a dumb reason to stop supporting her?

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Feather posted:

All that stuff happened after months/years of raising hell, though. Rosa Parks didn't have any agenda other than "I can sit where I want on a public bus." The agenda of the BLM folks in that transcript is to get Hillary to acknowledge that there is a direct, unambiguous line running from her support for the racist prison and criminal "justice" system to the deplorable state of affairs today, and that action on that must be taken. That is a clear goal, a clear plan, a clear articulation of what Hillary--the person who seeks the power to do it--can pledge to do.

Rosa Parks was actually a long-time civil rights activist but this tends to get scrubbed away in high school history book hagiography.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

Because that's a dumb reason to stop supporting her?

you can't honestly want someone evil enough to hold that post to possess control of the united states armed forces and nuclear weapons

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

zeal posted:

you can't honestly want someone evil enough to hold that post to possess control of the united states armed forces and nuclear weapons

Maybe you should do a little reading about why she sat on that board, and what policies she suggested while she did.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

So if Trump wins the primary, does this mean in future elections Republicans will just give up dogwhistling entirely? If so I feel like we're sliding backwards.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

sharknado slashfic posted:

So if Trump wins the primary, does this mean in future elections Republicans will just give up dogwhistling entirely? If so I feel like we're sliding backwards.

Only if he wins. That's a big fuckin "if"

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

zeal posted:

Just sitting on the board doesn't mean poo poo, IIRC they wanted her to increase diversity. Did she actually do anything while on the board? Most of the positions are just "here take this money say you're on the board come to a meeting with catered food once a year" type things anyways. I wouldn't want to vote for anyone dumb enough to turn that down

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

DaveWoo posted:

Trump goes after Frank Luntz

I hope Trump nails that fucker to the wall :dance:
I doubt it--of all the acts in the Trump circus, this seems like the most contrived. Luntz is shameless enough to let big media names poo poo on him if it generates interest and attention for him (I'm reminded of when Colbert hired him to be the butt of a bunch of jokes).

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

mlmp08 posted:

FWIW, while the whole Email thing seems extremely incompetent, she wasn't intentionally passing secret documents to her lover to keep that sweet sweet affair going and to get a super glowing biography.

loving Petraeus, man.

But to clarify - that's not what he was convicted for.

He was convicted, fined, and given probation in lieu of jail time for " unauthorized removal and retention of classified information" - keeping confidential material at his house.

This isn't a witch-hunt against Clinton, people up and down the chain are fired and prosecuted for less than this all the time - CIA director John Deutch was convicted for keeping confidential info on his laptop in the 90s (later pardoned by Bill). There are multiple cases of ground-level Homeland and armed forces employees facing consequences for putting sensitive information on thumb drives.

The only way I can see her staying clean from a legal perspective here is if a number of her aides (including Huma) take a fall for stripping out confidential tags on emails forwarded to her, but even then she'd have to somehow claim as SecState she didn't realize any of these hundreds of emails contained classified info.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

TheDisreputableDog posted:

He was convicted, fined, and given probation in lieu of jail time for " unauthorized removal and retention of classified information" - keeping confidential material at his house.

This isn't a witch-hunt against Clinton, people up and down the chain are fired and prosecuted for less than this all the time - CIA director John Deutch was convicted for keeping confidential info on his laptop in the 90s (later pardoned by Bill). There are multiple cases of ground-level Homeland and armed forces employees facing consequences for putting sensitive information on thumb drives.

The only way I can see her staying clean from a legal perspective here is if a number of her aides (including Huma) take a fall for stripping out confidential tags on emails forwarded to her, but even then she'd have to somehow claim as SecState she didn't realize any of these hundreds of emails contained classified info.

So far all the emails with sensitive data were ones sent to Clinton, not stuff she took and sent out, or put on a thumb drive or something. And the emails were tagged in any way to show they were classified. Getting an email is different from taking classified info home on a thumb drive and telling it to your mistress

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

sharknado slashfic posted:

Well, there is a positive side also. There are left wing positions that the Republican base and Trump generally support, such as protecting social security, but that Republican elites disfavor and generally keep candidates from supporting.. So that's the silver lining.

Honestly, domestic policy wise, Trump is the least bad Republican. He's just a horror to contemplate on foreign policy, though.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Aug 18, 2015

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

The legality of it doesent really matter given her connections, she will be pardoned one way or another, the political reality of the situation is how it is spun. Given the current climate of federal security it could pretty easily be spun that a private email server was providing security through obscurity by not being related to federal infastructure, infastructure that has had several incredibly high profile hacks as of late.

I mean, if you think shes going down in any legal way from this I dunno what to tell you, any charges will be pardoned, the important thing about the Clinton emails is how her team handles the imaging and optics of her maintaining an independent mail database.

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

So far all the emails with sensitive data were ones sent to Clinton, not stuff she took and sent out, or put on a thumb drive or something.

To be clear, every single email we're discussing now came from a thumb drive in her attorney's possession - the emails she decided to keep were all moved there before wiping the server.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

To be clear, every single email we're discussing now came from a thumb drive in her attorney's possession - the emails she decided to keep were all moved there before wiping the server.

Yeah but wasn't this done because of the investigation?

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

Spaceman Future! posted:

Given the current climate of federal security it could pretty easily be spun that a private email server was providing security through obscurity by not being related to federal infastructure, infastructure that has had several incredibly high profile hacks as of late.

I'm laughing so hard right now it's hard to see the keyboard through my tears.

Please try that angle, Clinton campaign.

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

Yeah but wasn't this done because of the investigation?

Who cares why it was done? The fact that hundreds of classified pieces of data are sitting on a thumb drive in a lawyer's desk somewhere is demonstrative of exactly why there were regulations against doing official State Dept business via private email.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Who cares why it was done? The fact that hundreds of classified pieces of data are sitting on a thumb drive in a lawyer's desk somewhere is demonstrative of exactly why there were regulations against doing official State Dept business via private email.

hahaha

:byodood: "GIEV US THE EMAIL"

:) "Here you go"

:byodood: "OMG CLASSIFIED MATERIAL ON A THUMB DRIEVER !!@!?1"

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

I'm laughing so hard right now it's hard to see the keyboard through my tears.

Please try that angle, Clinton campaign.

No one is going to cry if Clinton vaguely blames the big faceless federal government for having bad network security and the optics of it resonate with your average voter who only sees story after story about hacks recently. It makes no one politician or any member of her party look bad specifically while calling into question the security of agencies she can claim to improve if in office. Its a relatively safe play that is only really called into question at a technical level, and thats a level you lose mainstream voters at anyway so its not really a downside play so long as it doesn't come from her mouth that the justification for the server was the bad security she is scrutinizing, the links between the two have to be provided by third parties.

I mean, anyone with 2 brain cells to rub together understands that the private server was there just to obscure her communications from the intentional federal processes put in place and its shady as hell, there's not really any confusion on that, but the general electorate and people who actually evaluate these statements have a very small overlap.

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

Nuclearmonkee posted:

hahaha

:) "Here you go. I deleted a bunch that weren't relevant (trust me) and there's nothing classified here."

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Nuclearmonkee posted:

hahaha

:) "Here you go"

Yes?

I don't even want this to sink Clinton and don't think it will but pretending it is meaningless is pretty transparently partisan.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven
That CNN poll owns.

Trump is #1 on everything from fighting ISIS, to the economy, to social issues(lol).

Also Jeb! At 57% unfavorable is amazing. Keep it going Trump, you're a gift.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Next to the Muslim foot bath, presumably.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

I mean, it's a great argument against Hilary w/r/t comparing her to bernie sanders. It's easy to see that one person does less shady things than the other. But when you compare "not using your email in a way that is acceptable" with "chomping at the bit for another endless war to never ever pay back", she ends up looking a lot better than the republican field.

That's why democrats don't care, mostly. Yea it wasn't legal what she did, but it's not 'killing a bunch of foreigners so your sugar daddies can sell some more lead' levels of unethical.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Joementum posted:

Where does one even get that many Muslim feet?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Dogstoyevsky posted:

PS Trump unfavorability is 59% wrap it up Trumpailures.

:getin:

mastervj
Feb 25, 2011

Joementum posted:

Didn't Drudge know a lot about closets?

Rocks
Dec 30, 2011

https://instagram.com/p/6h34CXGhcK/?taken-by=realdonaldtrump

lol

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
A closet in a bathroom? Rich people.

Also....

Guess which candidate just said "I will only talk to white people about the very real problems."

hdawg

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

Joementum posted:

Uh, please remember she was "dead broke" - a bathroom closet-cum-server room is obviously a must-have, but a foot bath is stretching it.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Uh, please remember she was "dead broke" - a bathroom closet was clearly within reach, but a foot bath is stretching it.

a 36 cent plastic tub

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

http://www.state.gov/r/pa/prs/dpb/2015/08/246080.htm posted:

QUESTION: And secondly, has the State Department been able to determine whether any classification markings may have been stripped from any of those documents from anyone within the State Department?

MR KIRBY: We have no indications that there were any – that there was at all any stripping of classification markings on these.

Yeah.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
Yeah, no one's going to take the fall for stripping here.

Dogstoyevsky
Oct 9, 2012

Totalizator posted:

So Hillary vs Trump would be an election between candidates >50% americans hate

Election 2016--

Dogstoyevsky fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Aug 18, 2015

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

Dogstoyevsky
Oct 9, 2012

For fun, and because I hate when people lol at Clinton's favorability numbers out of context, here's everyone's favorability numbers that I could find on the HuffPo tracker (this is why Biden is here but not Chafee).

code:
Candidate	Favorability	Unfavorability	Net

Clinton		41.5		48.4		-6.9
Sanders		28		27.9		0.1
Biden		44.3		41.8		2.5

Trump		37.3		56.1		-18.8
Bush		33.5		45.5		-12
Walker		25.1		29.6		-4.5
Carson		27.7		24		3.7
Cruz		27		38.4		-11.4
Kasich		20.8		26.3		-5.5
Huckabee	28.5		42.5		-14
Christie	26		48.1		-22.1
Rubio		29.6		32.5		-2.9
Paul		31.4		38.6		-7.2
Pretty much everyone is underwater.

Edit: Forgot Rubio and Paul. GOP field of a lifetime, for sure.

Dogstoyevsky fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Aug 18, 2015

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY
i remember seeing that even among GOP voters most of the republican candidates were underwater, i think rubio was the biggest exception with 54% favorability

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Everyone loving hates everyone else, welcome to 2015.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

Everyone loving hates everyone else, welcome to humanity.

• Locked thread