Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Unmake has existed for years guys

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Yeah I don't think any 3-mana creature removal is gonna be tearing up any constructed formats outside of Standard.

TheKingofSprings posted:

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

Entropic posted:

Yeah I don't think any 3-mana creature removal is gonna be tearing up any constructed formats outside of Standard.

Look at how big a splash utter end made though!

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

TheKingofSprings posted:

Unmake is a cool card and should be reprinted in standard soon.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Balon posted:

It gets around indestructible and stifles death triggers. It's way too good.

Yeah but it doesn't do anything against planeswalkers which is a big negative.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Aug 18, 2015

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

mcmagic posted:

Yeah but it doesn't do anything against plainswalkers which is a big negative.

Graceful Antelope really is destroying everything we hold near and dear.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Count Bleck posted:

Graceful Antelope really is destroying everything we hold near and dear.

Bleh

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

That's what I initially suggested:

Blank Check
1BB
Instant
Devoid
Destroy target creature

I think that would be a cool card to exist. Then he said it would be the most powerful removal spell ever printed and that was kind of a puzzling thing to say because it's so plainly not.
I keep seeing this puzzling demand to kill Emrakul with a devoid spell. There are already ways you can kill Emrakul (not a ton of them), but the entire point of Emrakul existing is you lose when someone lands one.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

The real way to beat Emmy is play your own Emmy when they show and tell it onto the board because they're dumb and didn't choose Omniscience for Show and Tell.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Angry Grimace posted:

I keep seeing this puzzling demand to kill Emrakul with a devoid spell. There are already ways you can kill Emrakul (not a ton of them), but the entire point of Emrakul existing is you lose when someone lands one.

Back in 2011-12, Gearheart managed to beat two Emmy landings - including the attack. People should just play better against Emmy. Forget if it was a GP top 8 or what but it's still a lol story.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

TheKingofSprings posted:

Costing BBB is (or any combo of B/W) is a bit more narrow than costing 1BB. Also the environments are much different, and mechanic templating is much different. Unmake still triggers "leaves the battlefield" abilities (relevant when the card was printed), but wouldn't trigger the new "when this creature dies" templating (relevant in the current environment).

Removing a hangarback or deathmist harmlessly is pretty significant in today's standard environment.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Count Bleck posted:

The real way to beat Emmy is play your own Emmy when they show and tell it onto the board because they're dumb and didn't choose Omniscience for Show and Tell.

The best way is to Stifle their extra turn trigger and then use the Omniscience you just put into play off their show and tell to play your own Emrakul.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

mcmagic posted:

The best way is to Stifle their extra turn trigger and then use the Omniscience you just put into play off their show and tell to play your own Emrakul.

But what if they daze the stifle with FoW backup?!

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Count Bleck posted:

I already had four FoW in my hand with four blue cards.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Count Bleck posted:

Then they're running Daze with City of Traitors

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

mcmagic posted:

They don't get an extra turn when show and telling emrakul, it wasn't cast.

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
is the jury still out on why colorless murder is the best removal spell ever or have we busted this poo poo wide open

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/arcana/battle-zendikar-pax-prime-2015-08-18

PAX Prime schedule.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Wow, I wish there would have been ROE drafts at PAX East. I would have done nothing all day Saturday but do those.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

black potus posted:

is the jury still out on why colorless murder is the best removal spell ever or have we busted this poo poo wide open

There is going to be a 1B - Instant - Destroy target colorless creature.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Cactrot posted:

They don't get an extra turn when show and telling emrakul, it wasn't cast.

They played it off of their Omniscience.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

TheKingofSprings posted:

Given that they really don't like associating their keywords with downsides that would've been super unlikely even if threshold was in block

Bellowing Saddlebrute in Khans had "Raid- lose 4 life if you didn't attack this turn." Yes that's just one instance but it does happen, and recently at that.

No Friend of Gravity
Feb 24, 2006

AlternateNu posted:

There is going to be a 1B - Instant - Destroy target colorless creature.

Not the Doom Blade we deserved, but the Doom Blade we needed.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
WHo else is really digging the fnm promo serum visions art? I feel like I want to cast this card over and over again.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Sickening posted:

WHo else is really digging the fnm promo serum visions art? I feel like I want to cast this card over and over again.

I do but unfortunately it has received the nickname of semen visions as well. :/

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Chill la Chill posted:

I do but unfortunately it has received the nickname of semen visions as well. :/

I traded one for the Path from last month straight up.

I don't regret that.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

C-Euro posted:

Bellowing Saddlebrute in Khans had "Raid- lose 4 life if you didn't attack this turn." Yes that's just one instance but it does happen, and recently at that.

Bellowing Sadbrute, the invitational card of the masses.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

You could've gotten the Rebecca Guay one instead. :psyduck:

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Sickening posted:

I'm torn between my love of Russian cards and the fact that the only Russian Serum Visions has that art.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Chill la Chill posted:

You could've gotten the Rebecca Guay one instead. :psyduck:

It's actually worth more than the FNM Visions.

fuckingwhocares
Apr 23, 2003

Josh #2

I really dislike that they made the party GA this year, and moved it into the convention center itself. It is going to be much less enjoyable with a billion kids floating around.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I can't imagine a cool party for wizard poker being enjoyable unless it was just LSV and Kibler doing lines of coke all night.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Brian Kibler is annoying enough when he's sober

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

mehall posted:

Are you anywhere near a Welsh wmcq? I think it may be too close, though you could email. You definitely got enough for England? It's points req is higher than a lot of others. Scotland is a cinch to qualify for.

I have 475 points so I can play for the UK. I emailed them and If they can't do anything about it I might have to take the long train to Wales

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon
When RoE was in standard was there any decks that actually used Emrakul in them or was he banned?

Was there any crazy ramp back then that people raced for to poo poo him out? What about removal? What were decks like back then?

Anti-Citizen
Oct 24, 2007
As You're Playing Chess, I'm Playing Russian Roulette

Lieutenant Centaur posted:

When RoE was in standard was there any decks that actually used Emrakul in them or was he banned?

Was there any crazy ramp back then that people raced for to poo poo him out? What about removal? What were decks like back then?

Polymorph was also a deck, in format there was O-ring to handle it. And the bizzare if supper sweet tech of Cunning Spark Mage and a Basilisk Collar off of Stoneforge Mystic in the super sweet Naya zoo deck of the time.

Mindbreak could also handle it if you were feeling really cheeky, and Fleshbag also existed. Honestly Emrakul wasn't even the best target for the ramp decks, Sovereigns of Lost Aluara getting Conscription, or just you know Valakut where better.

Emrakul isn't really all that unbeatable, and in a standard format where you only really need to track a few problem decks it's really easy to get the silver bullet for.

Or you know, just play a deck with Goblin Guide and Lightning Bolt, that's basically an 80% win against any deck with a copy of Emrakul in it.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Lieutenant Centaur posted:

Polymorphism was really cool and everyone had a Jace because he was cheap and oppressed under blood braid elf's reign. o ring was the answer.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Avenger of Zendikar was the better big finisher guy from that block

Anti-Citizen
Oct 24, 2007
As You're Playing Chess, I'm Playing Russian Roulette

Chill la Chill posted:

Polymorphism was really cool and everyone had a Jace because he was cheap and oppressed under blood braid elf's reign. o ring was the answer.

Emrakul and Jace being released in the same format as Bloodbraid and Goblin Guide remains my favorite practical joke from Wizzos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Chill la Chill posted:

"Cheap"

The days when paying $35 for a card was unthinkably expensive and speccing on $35 was financial suicide because it was unthinkable for a card to exceed $20 beyond collector value.

• Locked thread