Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
Is the untranslated volume 9 just the latest one printed or is it an actual end to the story?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!

Verizian posted:

Is the untranslated volume 9 just the latest one printed or is it an actual end to the story?

Latest printed. The web novel it's based on (although changed) continues a fair bit further as well, so there's no end in sight.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Wrong thread.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
So out of curiosity, is this one of those manga/anime where the protagonist is the villain? And not just anti-hero, dark and edgy, or pragmatic. But just straight up Hitler/Lion King Scar goose stepping evil? The OP seems to imply as much.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Artificer posted:

So out of curiosity, is this one of those manga/anime where the protagonist is the villain? And not just anti-hero, dark and edgy, or pragmatic. But just straight up Hitler/Lion King Scar goose stepping evil? The OP seems to imply as much.

Potentially. He's treated people very well but, as he himself notes, it's not out of compassion or morality; it's the most practical way to achieve his current goals.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
He's kinda like Sarevok from Baldur's Gate, the guy with the plan, trying to pull political strings to meet his own ends and become the One.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

PerrineClostermann posted:

Potentially. He's treated people very well but, as he himself notes, it's not out of compassion or morality; it's the most practical way to achieve his current goals.

So sort of like Hitler with the great publicity but ruthless crushing of opposition sort of thing?

Mordaedil posted:

He's kinda like Sarevok from Baldur's Gate, the guy with the plan, trying to pull political strings to meet his own ends and become the One.

Sarevok is kind of a huuge rear end in a top hat. Blegh. I'm not sure I can stomach the protagonist being like this. I might give it the ol' three episode shot though.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Artificer posted:

So sort of like Hitler with the great publicity but ruthless crushing of opposition sort of thing?

Sarevok is kind of a huuge rear end in a top hat. Blegh. I'm not sure I can stomach the protagonist being like this. I might give it the ol' three episode shot though.

Noted. Sarvok is an rear end in a top hat, but Hitler was not.

I didn't mean he was literally Sarevok even in personality. I meant it only as far as how he had fingers in all the pies and was orchestrating this huge plot governing a whole region while in the guise of a different person.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Mordaedil posted:

Noted. Sarvok is an rear end in a top hat, but Hitler was not.

I didn't mean he was literally Sarevok even in personality. I meant it only as far as how he had fingers in all the pies and was orchestrating this huge plot governing a whole region while in the guise of a different person.

Hitler was also a huge rear end in a top hat, yes.

Alright. I'll give it a go. So he takes good care of the people he assumes control over then? No baby punting or orphanage burning then?

What if baby punting/orphanage burning served a really important political purpose for him? :v:

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Even though he's supposed to be the bad guy I've found him to be extremely likable so far. I think he's gonna end up being a benevolent dictator.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
The appeal of Ains is that he exploits the power fantasy nature of the story in a manner that the audience wants to achieve. If he does a terrible thing, it must be Justified by the story.

Ains is the superego of the puerile YA power fantasy genre.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Ains wants to find his guildmates if possible, or well, any other player possibly. It's just that whatever happened made him an actual Lich so his human emotions are suppressed.

Early on he pretty much maintains something close to morality by trying to live up to the example of the guild member that recruited him since he's not capable of feeling really strong emotions anymore. He "plays" at being more neutral evil since ironically people find a badass merc who demands some form of payment for everything less suspicious than an altruistic god-like dude who can flatten armies on his own.

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

dreams of an unchanging future,
a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib
If you want the 'villainous' characters, try pretty much all of Ains' direct subordinates. If he is neutral evil the vast majority of his underlings are straight chaotic evil.

Will2Powa
Jul 22, 2009
I've found from what I've read so far that Ains tends to do good or at least justifiable things under the guise of being an evil overlord. However, some of the subordinates are extremely, despicably evil yet loyal (Demiurge) while others are actually straight good-aligned, like Sebas. The humans in the story tend to be more outright evil and twisted. But I think Ains might end up doing some undeniably evil things later in the story or at least his underlings will do them without his knowledge from what I've heard.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
Ains is in a weird transitory stage as a character right now in the anime. He has his human sensibilities and such from his old life, but he inhabits the body and mind of a lich now, and is drifting into a new mindset that doesn't really have emotions or morality. I haven't read the light novel or anything, so I'm curious to see how this ends up going for him. I think that between the messed up theocracy kingdom and the weirdo death cult, he's still kind of approaching a pivot point where he will either decide that "the common people deserve a better way of life than this, as my underlings" or "whatever, just burn it all".

Off the cuff, I'm guessing that the leader of the theocracy kingdom is another Player, who went nuts when his actual self became exposed to the vast divine power and wisdom that a level 100 Priest or whatever would have possessed. I think Ains was insulated from that due to his new body being basically immune to brain problems.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.

Sharkopath posted:

A group of idol singers that get trapped in an mmo world and subjugate and modernize it through the power of both love and weaponized singing would be a cool idea for an LN.
I would watch Symphogear Online.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

deadly_pudding posted:

Ains is in a weird transitory stage as a character right now in the anime. He has his human sensibilities and such from his old life, but he inhabits the body and mind of a lich now, and is drifting into a new mindset that doesn't really have emotions or morality. I haven't read the light novel or anything, so I'm curious to see how this ends up going for him. I think that between the messed up theocracy kingdom and the weirdo death cult, he's still kind of approaching a pivot point where he will either decide that "the common people deserve a better way of life than this, as my underlings" or "whatever, just burn it all".

Off the cuff, I'm guessing that the leader of the theocracy kingdom is another Player, who went nuts when his actual self became exposed to the vast divine power and wisdom that a level 100 Priest or whatever would have possessed. I think Ains was insulated from that due to his new body being basically immune to brain problems.
He's pretty much good to his allies, and crushingly brutal to his enemies.

D&D style morality is poorly-defined as gently caress; I find myself thinking he's kinda between Neutral and Lawful evil the more I consider it. If it wasn't for the whole "generally obeys the law" thing he'd be more Lawful Evil.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Artificer posted:

Genghis Khan is a better example as Hitler almost certainly did not take "good care of" those under his control.

Fabricated posted:

He's pretty much good to his allies, and crushingly brutal to his enemies.

D&D style morality is poorly-defined as gently caress; I find myself thinking he's kinda between Neutral and Lawful evil the more I consider it. If it wasn't for the whole "generally obeys the law" thing he'd be more Lawful Evil.

Lawful Evil is generally a little more complex than "obeys the law" usually having some sort of unique code of ethics will suffice, or otherwise acting to the goal of order. Ainz has been very lawful in most generally accepted definitions of the word.

Despite his power he's nodded to the hierarchy to the guild and follows its laws to achieve his own ends; that's part of the very definition of lawful evil.

Raenir Salazar fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Aug 18, 2015

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Raenir Salazar posted:

Lawful Evil is generally a little more complex than "obeys the law" usually having some sort of unique code of ethics will suffice, or otherwise acting to the goal of order. Ainz has been very lawful in most generally accepted definitions of the word.

Despite his power he's nodded to the hierarchy to the guild and follows its laws to achieve his own ends; that's part of the very definition of lawful evil.
Ainz kinda helps the weak a bit too much (at least early on) and doesn't abuse the law quite enough to totally fit the description. He's a complete outsider so the law more or less is something he kinda just deals with to avoid a hassle rather than something he obeys due to some sort of honorable compunction. He also (sort of) avenges outsiders weaker than him which is something no lawful evil character would do.

Again this is the DnD morality argument stuff that's been had since its creation.

What's funny is that I think his "karma" on his character sheet is listed as being the most negative of all the people in the Tomb... that could just be PVP MMO type karma though (i.e. just negative points for pwning noobs or whatever) as opposed to actual "evilness".

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Fabricated posted:

What's funny is that I think his "karma" on his character sheet is listed as being the most negative of all the people in the Tomb... that could just be PVP MMO type karma though (i.e. just negative points for pwning noobs or whatever) as opposed to actual "evilness".

I think he is definitely a PVP noob pwner. It's known that no enemy players ever managed to even enter the Tomb. When he was fighting against the priests, he was getting a little caught up on them being like real people and stuff for about 15 seconds, but then instantly fell back into a mindset of "seriously? You thought this weak of a Summon was so good?"

That's why I'm sort of expecting him to start really picking apart all his potential enemies in the new world after he's done some recon. His underlying gamer's instinct is to kill these eyesore scrubs who thought they could challenge his guild.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

deadly_pudding posted:

I think he is definitely a PVP noob pwner. It's known that no enemy players ever managed to even enter the Tomb. When he was fighting against the priests, he was getting a little caught up on them being like real people and stuff for about 15 seconds, but then instantly fell back into a mindset of "seriously? You thought this weak of a Summon was so good?"

That's why I'm sort of expecting him to start really picking apart all his potential enemies in the new world after he's done some recon. His underlying gamer's instinct is to kill these eyesore scrubs who thought they could challenge his guild.

Plenty of enemy players entered the tomb. They just never left. :v:

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
IIRC there was some big combined effort that made it all the way to level 8 before everyone died and then the Tomb was considered impossible

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
I must have mis-remembered the dialog :shobon: it's been a few weeks.

Either way, he seems to have a switch that goes off once he confirms that the opposition is, in fact, a really sorry display. He's treated all the civilians and people who exhibit basic decency toward him with extreme mercy so far, but he seems to be very ruthless toward anybody that he decides is an "enemy", with a degree of bravado that suggests he's having a fantastic time. I wonder to what extent he actually cares about the well-being of the people he saves, versus the extent to which he's basically min-maxing his interactions with the new world for ideal rep grinding.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
I'm kinda hoping the people see Ains as evil but they still prefer being under him to the way things used to be.

"Well I'm not so sure about that castle of his and I wish I didn't have to send him my first born but on the other hand my children will never experience a bandit or monster raid."

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

I'm kinda hoping the people see Ains as evil but they still prefer being under him to the way things used to be.

"Well I'm not so sure about that castle of his and I wish I didn't have to send him my first born but on the other hand my children will never experience a bandit or monster raid."

Would be cool, this is a rare sort of characterization in fiction.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Fabricated posted:

Ainz kinda helps the weak a bit too much (at least early on) and doesn't abuse the law quite enough to totally fit the description. He's a complete outsider so the law more or less is something he kinda just deals with to avoid a hassle rather than something he obeys due to some sort of honorable compunction. He also (sort of) avenges outsiders weaker than him which is something no lawful evil character would do.

Again this is the DnD morality argument stuff that's been had since its creation.

Generally speaking, lawful evil is all about achieving ones own ends within a certain restriction. If you save people it doesn't matter, as long as it achieves your ends. Good is the alignment that will go to efforts against their own interest (albeit not against their own survival) while Neutral goes as far as they don't loose too much from it.

Alignment talk is kinda ridiculous, or quickly devolves into boxed thinking. It is better to think of them as fields where you grow sheep. The characters alignment corresponds mostly to what herd you grass with. Ainz, in this subjective view fits most of the herd grassing on "lawful evil".

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I heard it explained as lawful evil characters finding an ordered system more efficient or easily exploited than chaos, regardless of what system that order may be.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
Err, that fight scene felt a lot longer in the book.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Ains is a lonely, timid man who suddenly gained great power. For all that he is now essentially a god, the most important thing to him is still the good old days with his mmo guild. So, with that in mind, he only has three goals in life. Protect what his friends left behind, make himself famous so that if any of his friends are around they will come back, and avoid disappointing his evil minions who alternately serve as proxies for his friends and their children.

Of course, he gradually grows into the evil lich role he plays, but he still would give it all up in a second to be playing that mmo with his guild again.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

darkgray posted:

Err, that fight scene felt a lot longer in the book.

In the book they clashed a few times, then Ainz gets bored and does what he did in this.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
What you all missed out on:

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

Aw bugger, I was looking forward to how they'd show certain scenes from this part, but my expectations weren't met. The manga did a better job at actually making the aura of fear somewhat fearsome. Actually, the manga is often pretty good at drawing skeleton faces and expressions.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Please tell me the Hamster sticks around

maybe replacing the gothic lolita chick

please

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

OnimaruXLR posted:

please

Hes already been forced to join the guild. He cant leave even if he wanted to.

Hagop
May 14, 2012

First one out of the Ranger gets a prize!

OnimaruXLR posted:

please

LN info
Hamtaro sticks around for most of the rest of this arc, and then gets two short cameos in later arcs.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
"I feel like an old man on a merry-go-round" was a pretty good line.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
That was a good episode.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
I'm glad villager girl found a practical use for the Horn of Goblin Summoning. They're so helpful! :3:

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
It's amusing how the lovely throwaway items Ainz probably considered guild bank vendor trash are miracles to everyone outside the tomb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Fabricated posted:

It's amusing how the lovely throwaway items Ainz probably considered guild bank vendor trash are miracles to everyone outside the tomb.
He literally shits gold.

• Locked thread