Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

ffmpeg should be able to as well

code:
ffmpeg -i file.wav file.mp3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Ynglaur posted:

Believe Audacity can convert WAV to MP3.

Audacity can, but you need to separately download the LAME mp3 endcoder to do it.

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

MREs - They're whats for breakfast, lunch AND dinner !

EasyEW posted:

That appears to be happening to me, but I'm not convinced that it's actually trying to install Win10. Every auto-update since July 28th has shown me the Downloading Windows 10 message over the status bar in the Windows Update window, but it hasn't even attempted a Win10 install yet. All of yesterday's Win7 patches installed without incident or Win10. It looks like just another quirk in the rollout.

So based on this, I figured I'd go ahead, press the shiny red button and let Windows Update do its thing and see what the results would be, after making a complete image backup of my boot drive. I had Process Explorer and DU Meter going also, because I'm a paranoid motherfucker. Long story short, the above is exactly what happened. The entire time it claimed to be checking my system or maybe downloading 3 gigs of stuff, it didn't download a thing. I could mouse over the Windows Update icon in the notification area and see the % number going up, but the main Windows Update screen never displayed anything other than downloading or checking system and an infinite loop progress bar. So yeah, it's a visual glitch :mad: :argh: :fuckoff:

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
e: Nevermind.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I need to reinstall Windows 7 but I no longer have a working DVD drive. How can I make this work? I'm trying to make a bootable USB, but because it's an OEM copy Microsoft won't let me download the iso from their website, despite the fact that I have a valid product key.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

YggiDee posted:

I need to reinstall Windows 7 but I no longer have a working DVD drive. How can I make this work? I'm trying to make a bootable USB, but because it's an OEM copy Microsoft won't let me download the iso from their website, despite the fact that I have a valid product key.

Go torrent a valid untouched ISO of the correct version, Microsoft doesn't have a problem with it.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

YggiDee posted:

e:nm

tight aspirations fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Aug 14, 2015

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Thanks, I think I've got a working solution now. I'm sorta curious why OEM users got the shaft. Well, I sorta get why, it's supposed to be a one-time install or something, I'm more annoyed by it. Like, they decided to make it harder for people to fix their own installs right around the same time that Windows 10 started dropping people into irrecoverable restart loops.

Newf
Feb 14, 2006
I appreciate hacky sack on a much deeper level than you.
What's the currently recommended torrent client?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Newf posted:

I prefer utorrent 3.3.2 with the ad stuff disabled and autoupdates disabled.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Yes, let us all bring hostile software into our computers and think we aren't still encouraging that garbage just because we're disarming it.

Newf posted:

Someone forked Transmission and made it Windows-suitable. (It has a 64-bit version there too, but the 'quick download' button is a jerk.)

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Aug 15, 2015

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Yes, let us all bring hostile software into our computers and think we aren't still encouraging that garbage just because we're disarming it.

I'm so sure that utorrent's creators secretly find out about downloading from oldversion.com and get encouraged by that. :rolleyes:

Earl of Lavender
Jul 29, 2007

This is not my beautiful house!!

This is not my beautiful wife!!!
Pillbug

Newf posted:

I'm fond of qBittorrent (Ninite link) myself, and it's still seeing active development. You could also try out Deluge.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
I like Tixati.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I've been sitting on uTorrent 2.2 for like a decade now.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Banned on every private tracker under the sun.

Nintendo Kid posted:

I prefer utorrent 3.3.2 with the ad stuff disabled and autoupdates disabled.

This, uTorrent 2.2.1 or qBittorrent are probably your best bets.

Cactus Jack
Nov 16, 2005

If you even try to throw to my side of the field in a dream, you better wake up and apologize.
Another vote for qbittorrent.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Read posted:

Banned on every private tracker under the sun.

Because they're a bunch of whiny babies who don't like features.

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.
Deluge has been pretty good to me. Feels a lot like using old μtorrent.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
Hi guys, I’m selling licenses for Kaspersky Labs products in this thread here:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3736695

Check it out if you’re concerned with the protection of your setup.

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.

Earl of Lavender posted:

I'm fond of qBittorrent (Ninite link) myself, and it's still seeing active development.
This is the best choice.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
Finally bought an SSD and used the opportunity to do a clean Win7 install.

Feels nice: like a new pair of shoes.

Only problem is: I know one of the 207 Important Updates will screw the system so that svchost will use 100% CPU forever. But I don't know which one, so I am having to install them in small chunks.

On the plus side, at least the update/reboot process is pretty swift.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

spog posted:

Finally bought an SSD and used the opportunity to do a clean Win7 install.

Feels nice: like a new pair of shoes.

Only problem is: I know one of the 207 Important Updates will screw the system so that svchost will use 100% CPU forever. But I don't know which one, so I am having to install them in small chunks.

On the plus side, at least the update/reboot process is pretty swift.

One of the windows updates is responsible for this although I don't know the number and why it still exists on windows update. One of the windows updates you download actually fixes this issue , it just seems to be a slog to get to that point.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

resolved.

blue squares fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Aug 17, 2015

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Sickening posted:

One of the windows updates is responsible for this although I don't know the number and why it still exists on windows update. One of the windows updates you download actually fixes this issue , it just seems to be a slog to get to that point.

Thanks.

What irritates me is that you can only review the date that a particular update was applied - not the time. So I either take a risk and install a big lump and hope for the best, or I do a few per day, to give me the option of rolling back.

I did originally installed the whole lump and the 100% issue are wouldn't go away and I had to roll back to pre-SP1.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

what's the best video player for windows nowadays? VLC?

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
I like MPC-HC, personally, though I've had it bluescreen on me once. (I was doing something stupid with it. Don't ask.) I haven't tried VLC in a while.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Abel Wingnut posted:

what's the best video player for windows nowadays? VLC?

I'm going to be one more vote for MPC-HC over VLC.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

MPC-HC always

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I don't know if it's the "best", but for my simple needs (play local content, sometimes discs), VLC's never let me down.

Earl of Lavender
Jul 29, 2007

This is not my beautiful house!!

This is not my beautiful wife!!!
Pillbug
MPC-HC all day, every day.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Not withstanding it's inability to cache HTTP streams MPC-HC is mostly better than VLC. mpv is nice for a really minimal player and you can easily set it up so you can relatively seamlessly open videos from your browser in it.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

SlightButSteady
Sep 13, 2007

Soiled Meat
I was going to post about SMPlayer because it remembers last viewed position in video files. It saves them as [title].ini files in you appdata folder.

But the only link I could find is sourceforge and I DO know that the installer once contained hijacking software.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

SlightButSteady posted:

I was going to post about SMPlayer because it remembers last viewed position in video files.

MPC-HC does that as well.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast
I've used MPC-HC for years, and it does what I need, so.. that's probably a safe choice.

Ninogan
Apr 2, 2012

No idea how but I hosed up my Windows 10 install and had to do a clean install to fix it. What's some bomb rear end software to download that you feel is necessary to always have installed? My PC feels empty.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

Pixelslol posted:

No idea how but I hosed up my Windows 10 install and had to do a clean install to fix it. What's some bomb rear end software to download that you feel is necessary to always have installed? My PC feels empty.

https://ninite.com/

k-uno
Jun 20, 2004
Quick question from someone who hasn't owned a Windows computer in a few years: how does support for high DPI screens compare between Windows 7 and 8.1?

I am going to buy a workstation computer for work, and want to buy a 28" 4K monitor to go with it. The main applications I'll be using are a LaTeX editor, Mathematica 10, Python and Visual Studio, with maybe a little bit of CAD work here and there. I use a 15" retina macbook pro now and love it, but need something with a lot more power for numerical work, and the Mac Pro is both outdated and crazy expensive. I refuse to consider Windows 10 under any circumstances because of privacy concerns, and I've never had a good experience with Linux (at least one component of the computer always seemed to be inoperable whenever I'd installed it).

I used to own a Win7 machine and liked it a lot, and though I hated Win8 when I first used it I haven't tried 8.1 and I've heard it's a lot better. If I went with Windows 7 how much are high DPI issues like tiny text going to bother me? Is it aggravating enough that it's worth putting up with 8.1? Or are there ways to configure Win7 so that it's not an issue?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

k-uno posted:

Quick question from someone who hasn't owned a Windows computer in a few years: how does support for high DPI screens compare between Windows 7 and 8.1?

I am going to buy a workstation computer for work, and want to buy a 28" 4K monitor to go with it. The main applications I'll be using are a LaTeX editor, Mathematica 10, Python and Visual Studio, with maybe a little bit of CAD work here and there. I use a 15" retina macbook pro now and love it, but need something with a lot more power for numerical work, and the Mac Pro is both outdated and crazy expensive. I refuse to consider Windows 10 under any circumstances because of privacy concerns, and I've never had a good experience with Linux (at least one component of the computer always seemed to be inoperable whenever I'd installed it).

I used to own a Win7 machine and liked it a lot, and though I hated Win8 when I first used it I haven't tried 8.1 and I've heard it's a lot better. If I went with Windows 7 how much are high DPI issues like tiny text going to bother me? Is it aggravating enough that it's worth putting up with 8.1? Or are there ways to configure Win7 so that it's not an issue?

Windows 8.1 hands high DPI screens better than 7, and 10 even better than 8.1. If you're really that concerned about privacy, and are planning to stick with 8.1 just install classicshell and you'll forget that stupid tile poo poo even exists. 8.1 is better than 7 in pretty much every way.