Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

DrDork posted:

It's so tantalizingly close to being omni-directional. But it's not. So you end up trying to jam the damned thing in the wrong way because it almost fits, and end up damaging it.

I mean, not that I have ever done that, because I'm a careful and exacting person. But I have a wife and, uh, yeah. Thankfully so far it's only damaged the cables, and not the phone(s).

MicroUSB's connector is specifically designed so that unless absolutely unreasonable force is applied, the cable plug will break long before the device port. Mini USB, weirdly enough, was designed the other way round for no good reason

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

DrDork posted:

It's so tantalizingly close to being omni-directional. But it's not. So you end up trying to jam the damned thing in the wrong way because it almost fits, and end up damaging it.

I mean, not that I have ever done that, because I'm a careful and exacting person. But I have a wife and, uh, yeah. Thankfully so far it's only damaged the cables, and not the phone(s).

USB cables always plug in with the USB logo facing upward. That's literally part of the standard. It makes life so much easier knowing that.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
Not with micro-usb, apparently. the orientation of the socket is different between the S3 I had and the One M8 I have now, and my cable i use to charge doesn't have a logo on it.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

dpbjinc posted:

USB cables always plug in with the USB logo facing upward. That's literally part of the standard. It makes life so much easier knowing that.
There is no "upward" with mobile devices, nor is there consistency about which orientation of the cable should be toward the front of the device.

Still, I question why DrDork's wife is shoving cables with hulk strength. If it's not going in, maybe that's not the way it goes in.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

dpbjinc posted:

You're welcome to explain that to said wife at 11pm when she's already turned the lights off and is trying to fumble the plug in to her phone on the nightstand. Also you assume standards-compliant cables instead of whatever $5 cable is in the discount bin at BestBuy/Walmart/etc.

I'm not saying it's a terrible standard. I'm saying that Apple's reversible connection is about 1000% better for 90% of the population, though, and USB C should be, as well.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Rastor posted:

Still, I question why DrDork's wife is shoving cables with hulk strength. If it's not going in, maybe that's not the way it goes in.

that's what the USB port said

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

VostokProgram posted:

that's what the USB port said

"It'll go in, trust me, you just gotta push"*

*actual quote

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

DrDork posted:

Also you assume standards-compliant cables instead of whatever $5 cable is in the discount bin at BestBuy/Walmart/etc.

The Apple flavor of this failure mode is "this charging cable is not approved for this device" and enforcement varies by patch so have fun with that!

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Nintendo Kid posted:

MicroUSB's connector is specifically designed so that unless absolutely unreasonable force is applied, the cable plug will break long before the device port. Mini USB, weirdly enough, was designed the other way round for no good reason

If the USB instructor from Mindshare is to be believed, mini was cooked up by primarily software guys. Micro had proper mechanical engineers design it

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
The other cool thing about USB3.2 is its supposed to support higher voltages for faster charges and powering larger devices. Theoretically up to 100w. I don't know if we'll ever see that since it has to run at 20v to do that but 12v (a handy voltage that is already out put by the PSU so no conversion necessary) capable USB3.2 ports should be common place over the next few years.

Running a monitor off a single universal cable/port for the power, screen, and sound would be nice.

e: \/\/\/\/\/\/ Yea ports that could do something like that have existed before, I didn't say it was a first to do that, but they were usually proprietary, expensive, or both and so never really took off. USB3.2 should be everywhere eventually so its a lot more interesting and practical way to do that.

PC LOAD LETTER fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Aug 18, 2015

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

Running a monitor off a single universal cable/port for the power, screen, and sound would be nice.

Apple had that for a bit... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_Display_Connector

It kinda sucked, mostly because of the power.

Botnit
Jun 12, 2015

How long do you think it'll be before we start getting 3.1 external HDD's? There's literally no reason I got such an expensive z170 mobo except for 3.1 even though I don't even have a guestimate for how long it'll be before I end up using it.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Botnit posted:

How long do you think it'll be before we start getting 3.1 external HDD's?
What would be the point? Unless you're talking external SSDs, USB 3.0 / Gen 1 is already way faster than the HDD attached to it. I could see wanting USB C for the reversible connector, but I wonder if they could just attach that to an existing USB 3.0 chipset.

Botnit
Jun 12, 2015

DrDork posted:

What would be the point? Unless you're talking external SSDs, USB 3.0 / Gen 1 is already way faster than the HDD attached to it. I could see wanting USB C for the reversible connector, but I wonder if they could just attach that to an existing USB 3.0 chipset.

For being able to get rid of all the wall adapters I have running to all of them since 3.1 would surely be the default of having them all powered that way, instead of "ultra portable" 3.0 versions that are usually smaller capacity and more expensive on top of it.

I gots too many drat wall adapter wires running all over the place here.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Botnit posted:

For being able to get rid of all the wall adapters I have running to all of them since 3.1 would surely be the default of having them all powered that way, instead of "ultra portable" 3.0 versions that are usually smaller capacity and more expensive on top of it.

I gots too many drat wall adapter wires running all over the place here.
:stare: How many hard drives are we talking about here, and how many GBs cumulative total? External SSDs also happen to be low-power enough just like "ultra portable" hard drives that don't need to plug into an external power source. They're also not expensive anymore, though that's relatively speaking depending on your answer to my curiosity.

Sidesaddle Cavalry fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Aug 18, 2015

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Micro USB ports break crazy easily, or develop that thing where they need constant pressure in one direction to seat properly. And the cables always break if you pull the device without unplugging it first. It will be good to see that standard go.

Botnit
Jun 12, 2015

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

:stare: How many hard drives are we talking about here, and how many GBs cumulative total? External SSDs also happen to be low-power enough just like "ultra portable" hard drives that don't need to plug into an external power source. They're also not expensive anymore, though that's relatively speaking depending on your answer to my curiosity.

7 HD's, a little over 20TB total data. Most 'ultra portable' or 'go' version HDD's I've seen are max 1-2 TB while AC adapter ones are up to 8 TB now. It's not a life threatening inconvenience since they're all hidden behind an entertainment shelf for my HPTC but it'd still be nice not having as many fire hazards back there.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

DrDork posted:

USB C isn't limited to USB 3.1...or even 3.x iirc. There's going to be (or I think there already is) power only cables, and I don't think there's anything stopping lower spec cables that can only do 2.0 speeds, etc. You can have 3.1 type A ports too right? I think the only thing actually exclusively tied to USB C and 3.1 is Thunderbolt 3 of all things. And I guess VESA could adopt it as another official DP form factor if they haven't already, makes more sense than the Micro DP they announced working on a few years back.

Botnit posted:

7 HD's, a little over 20TB total data. Most 'ultra portable' or 'go' version HDD's I've seen are max 1-2 TB while AC adapter ones are up to 8 TB now. It's not a life threatening inconvenience since they're all hidden behind an entertainment shelf for my HPTC but it'd still be nice not having as many fire hazards back there.
Just wait for that 16TB SSD Samsung showed off :v:

Thought about just getting one of those big HDD towers so you can reduce down to 1-2 enclosures/power supplies? USB-PD might not work how you want if you just want to hook up the heavy powered stuff over multiple ports, cause it's an optional part of the spec iirc (and requires some extra circuitry and what not, i.e. $). I wouldn't be surprised to see 0-1 ports supporting it being common.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

Botnit posted:

:stare: :stare: :stare:

You may want to consider building / buying a NAS for your storage needs.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

That's a lot of butts.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
um yeah thats a pretty horrible way to go about getting a bunch of storage

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I believe the One Plus Two is still a USB 2.0 device despite having a type C connector because Never Settle

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Toast Museum posted:

What's so bad about micro USB?

It's not reversible, the port is kinda big (at least relatively), and if you break or bend the pin inside the connector too much then you're hosed.

The only advantage it really has over USB-C is that it currently exists in the wild.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
maybe people should stop treating their electronics like poo poo and breaking things

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

computer parts posted:

the port is kinda big (at least relatively)

Isn't Type-C about the same size as micro?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

VulgarandStupid posted:

Micro USB ports break crazy easily, or develop that thing where they need constant pressure in one direction to seat properly. And the cables always break if you pull the device without unplugging it first. It will be good to see that standard go.

No they really don't. They're very robust designs. What the hell have you done with your microUSB ports?

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Nintendo Kid posted:

No they really don't. They're very robust designs. What the hell have you done with your microUSB ports?

Most of my friends and family have encountered this, and several of my cables just don't work without pressure despite decent treatment. Anecdotal, sure, but worrisome.

Usually it's the cable that goes bad, but a friend and my father just had to get new phones due to shoddy connections in the port.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Just use wireless charging and stop plugging poo poo in.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Don Lapre posted:

I would but I don't know if this hundred dollar sticker and charger will work in my otterbox.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Subjunctive posted:

Isn't Type-C about the same size as micro?

I guess so, yeah.

USB-C, Lightning, and Micro-USB from Left to Right.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Nintendo Kid posted:

I actually treat my electronics incredibly well. But I worked in cell phone sales for years. Despite roughly half iPhone and half other smart phone that uses micro USB, I had to send way more customers home without transferring their contacts or finding methods other than using the regular Cellubrite machine due to port issues alone from the micro USB camp.

Even if customers treat their phones like poo poo, I doubt that micro USB phones somehow get treated worse which would lead to such discrepancy.

With my current unrelated job, I have two micro USB devices that I have to carry every day. I accidentally tried to walk away with them without unplugging them and am 2/2 for destroying the cables. I've done that to my iPhone 6 a few times to no ill effect. The tablet's port is now some what sketchy for charging now and completely unreliable for charging in the car now since the slightest bump will make it stop charging.

Don Lapre posted:

Wireless chargers are a joke right now and have been for years. The business model is horrible for customers, and until they can unify a standard or Apple decides they are going to start using it, you won't see major adoption, unfortunately.

VulgarandStupid fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Aug 18, 2015

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend
The IDF keynote is kinda a snooze fest so far. We get that the 'future' is devices and that Intel is trying to diversify. How about some Broadwell and Skylake chat?

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

VulgarandStupid posted:

until they can unify a standard or Apple decides they are going to start using it, you won't see major adoption, unfortunately.

a) They did, Qi. You can even buy bedside tables from Ikea with Qi charging in, and I believe GM and Toyota have it in at least some of their cars. There is another standard floating around, but gently caress that, you're exactly right that if there is time wasted over different standards, nothing will get done.

b) That's the real factor here. Once Apple does it, everyone else will. If they choose something other than Qi we're hosed all over again.

vvv Here's a search on GSM Arena with the search term "Qi" (and year set to 2013 at least). Fair few devices that have it in out of the box, but nowhere near enough, sure.
For reference, the competing standard, PMA, has far fewer compatible devices, as shown by this search. All PMA devices to date, it seems from that search, are also Qi-compatible, so there's really no point buying anything other than a Qi charger. (With the aforementioned caveat involving Apple. They could gently caress everything, of course).

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Aug 18, 2015

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

HalloKitty posted:

a) They did, Qi. You can even buy bedside tables from Ikea with Qi charging in, and I believe GM and Toyota have it in at least some of their cars.
b) That's the real factor here. Once Apple does it, everyone else will. If they choose something other than Qi we're hosed all over again.

I've been out of the cell phone game for a while. How many phone models come with the charging circuit built in, just requiring you to buy the charger? I remember the Bionic offered a different back cover which was a little thicker and wouldn't fit in any cases, and combined with the charger it was around $100. Awful, just awful.

Then there were all those little wireless charging dongles that you still had to plug into your micro USB. At least the failed HP touchpad had it built it, they got that right.

It's embarrassing that we've had the tech for years and there are very few examples of it actually improving quality of life, regardless of price.

let i hug
Dec 25, 2011

Am I understanding right that 3D xpoint is going to effectively be both ram and ssd storage rolled into one? Also why did they give it such a terrible name?

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

let i hug posted:

Am I understanding right that 3D xpoint is going to effectively be both ram and ssd storage rolled into one? Also why did they give it such a terrible name?

That's apparently why they are calling it 'Intel Optane.'

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

VulgarandStupid posted:

I've been out of the cell phone game for a while. How many phone models come with the charging circuit built in, just requiring you to buy the charger? I remember the Bionic offered a different back cover which was a little thicker and wouldn't fit in any cases, and combined with the charger it was around $100. Awful, just awful.
I bought a 4€ Qi receiver for my Galaxy S4 that fits inside the standard back cover and bulges only a little bit. The Galaxy S5 charging pad cost 30€ and works fine with the S4 and Lumia 930, except the Lumia is quite picky about the spot.

But you're right, the technology should be much more wide spread. I don't think I'll be willing to buy another mobile device without Qi charging. gently caress cables.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Idf keynote summary looked hella lame. Did I overlook anything?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Saukkis posted:

I bought a 4€ Qi receiver for my Galaxy S4 that fits inside the standard back cover and bulges only a little bit. The Galaxy S5 charging pad cost 30€ and works fine with the S4 and Lumia 930, except the Lumia is quite picky about the spot.

But you're right, the technology should be much more wide spread. I don't think I'll be willing to buy another mobile device without Qi charging. gently caress cables.
Rezence is the other standard, and Intel is backing it (unless they changed gears today), so I assume the wireless charging world will still be in flux for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Idf keynote summary looked hella lame. Did I overlook anything?

loving snack and drink serving robot man

And robot spiders