Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yohan
Jan 20, 2011

Minor nitpick, it's friday.

The transition to Democracy here was really bad, the military gave amnesty to themselves and where never judged, which is probably why people think that there was no corruption then since if you were to dogwhistle you'd end dead, like José Jobim as discovered by the Truth Comission (in portuguese).

The Truth Comission was sanctioned in the 18th of November 2011 and was sanctioned by law to investigate crimes during the 1964 dictatorship. The military top brass still didn't come forth with evidence to clean it's name, which made members unwilling to come forth with proof and testimony themselves, to the point where a Lieutenant, José Conegundes do Nascimento, that participated in the repression said said "Work it out yourselves. I don't collaborate with the enemy", and there were cases of hidden documents only found by anonymous calls tipping off the commission. It was completed and handed in to the president in the 10th of December of 2014, in a small ceremony.

So that's how we've come to this insanity, any corruption was hidden through murder and censorship, and the effort to bring out the truth only started 20 years after the end of the dictatorship, and only because it was a sticking point to the recently elected President Dilma as she was tortured by the dictatorship, and to top it off the report didn't end having enough exposure or impact so far it seems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

Badger of Basra posted:

Request for a coup shocks Rio tourists

The Argentines Ramiro Rivas, 41, and Marcela Yranzo, 39, were left stunned by the banner asking for a military coup. Staying at the Othon since Sunday, they bemoaned that position:

"These people have lost their mind. But that's what happens when people get fed up. They start asking for things that don't make sense," said Rivas, taking pictures.

For Marcela, the protest was different then the ones seen in Argentina.

"There, the protests are sober. Here it's like carnaval."

"It's all people with money," said Rivas. "You can see they have money. They're well dressed. They drove here."

Extra context in case you didn't know: Argentina had brutal military regime around the same time Brazil did, around 30,000 Argentines were murdered or "disappeared" by the military government.

Wow. Thanks for the translation. Glad it's being reported at least. I take it from this report and the ongoing memory of the Dirty War that as hosed up as Argentine politics may be, demanding a military coup would be considered beyond the fringe?

rockopete fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Aug 17, 2015

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
the right in Brazil is amazing and it's spetacular how they just straight up order a military dictatorship to save brazil's democracy from communism while a bunch of well dressed and well groomed high class socialites lead protests in the name of the people.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

frajaq posted:

What do I say to my dad that wants me to go those stupid protests today

Se eu quisesse ver uma ruma de coxinhas eu ia pra bodega do lado.

e: lmao

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

rockopete posted:

Wow. Thanks for the translation. Glad it's being reported at least. I take it from this report and the ongoing memory of the Dirty War that as hosed up as Argentine politics may be, demanding a military coup would be considered beyond the fringe?

Asking publicly for a coup here would be like an American president coming out in national broadcast just to say "God sucks dicks." It's mediatic suicide if you are anyone important. That said, I know people who have said that and it tends to be followed by either a) "It wasn't actually 30,000 disappearences" or b) "State terrorism isn't A Thing".

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Wait, so the protests in Rio are calling for a military dictatorship over an appallingly corrupt presidency? :psyduck:

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Grouchio posted:

Wait, so the protests in Rio are calling for a military dictatorship over an appallingly corrupt presidency? :psyduck:

Yeah, and if the investigations hadn't been limited by laws passed by the military dictatorship that would be pretty corrupt too.

Ferdinand the Bull
Jul 30, 2006

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

Se eu quisesse ver uma ruma de coxinhas eu ia pra bodega do lado.

e: lmao

That salute looks imported directly from the Third Reich. The people are wearing soccer jerseys instead of Hugo Boss, though.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Badger of Basra posted:

Yeah, and if the investigations hadn't been limited by laws passed by the military dictatorship that would be pretty corrupt too.
And analysts were saying that Brazil could become a major power this century, right? :psyduck:
(Christ we may need to start an Anti-Brazilian coalition somewhere down the line in a super monroe doctrine phase)

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
It's not that much of a mess. It's a mess, but the whole "bring on the army" thing is by a fringe, although annoyingly vocal, minority. It's not even that this presidency is corrupt. Okay, lemme rephrase that: it's not even that this presidency is any more corrupt than any other we had before, it's just that investigators got a hell of a lot more freedom to operate in the last twelve years. As a result, a lot of poo poo has hit the fan (some of it predating PT even, the whole shebang with Petrobrás is an example) and the opposition is pushing the anti-corruption-also-PT-means-corrupt-in-Latin agenda as hard as possible.

Also, the most recent wave of investigations here had to do with construction firms. When you take into account that the military loved their gently caress-off huge construction projects like the Trans-Amazônica highway, it's very clear how dumb those coup people really are.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Dias posted:

It's not that much of a mess. It's a mess, but the whole "bring on the army" thing is by a fringe, although annoyingly vocal, minority. It's not even that this presidency is corrupt. Okay, lemme rephrase that: it's not even that this presidency is any more corrupt than any other we had before, it's just that investigators got a hell of a lot more freedom to operate in the last twelve years. As a result, a lot of poo poo has hit the fan (some of it predating PT even, the whole shebang with Petrobrás is an example) and the opposition is pushing the anti-corruption-also-PT-means-corrupt-in-Latin agenda as hard as possible.

Also, the most recent wave of investigations here had to do with construction firms. When you take into account that the military loved their gently caress-off huge construction projects like the Trans-Amazônica highway, it's very clear how dumb those coup people really are.

Please tell me this is an actual bullet point on their protests.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Grouchio posted:

And analysts were saying that Brazil could become a major power this century, right? :psyduck:
(Christ we may need to start an Anti-Brazilian coalition somewhere down the line in a super monroe doctrine phase)

I have no idea what this means.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Grouchio posted:

You're a literal insane fascist or you can't make full coherent thoughts

Either reading of this post is bad

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

ZenVulgarity posted:

You're a literal insane fascist or you can't make full coherent thoughts

Either reading of this post is bad
I was hypothesizing future Brazil acting like China and all the Spanish South American countries banding together in a coalition against them. Which yes is a stupid theory.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Azran posted:

Please tell me this is an actual bullet point on their protests.

Hah, I wish.

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011

Grouchio posted:

I was hypothesizing future Brazil acting like China and all the Spanish South American countries banding together in a coalition against them. Which yes is a stupid theory.
Brasil is the country of the future. And always will be.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Grouchio posted:

brazil is cool and good, it's just that they're massively corrupt, they kill homosexuals and trans people by the thousands, they are incredibly conservative and violent torwards women but then want them to almost always be butt naked in parades and TV...

brazil is just confusing, okay?

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Mans posted:

they are incredibly conservative and violent torwards women but then want them to almost always be butt naked in parades and TV...

These aren't contradictory. Conservative elements usually divide woman into good and bad categories based on sexuality, and denigrate sexually activity among woman while simultaneously encouraging it. It's the same in the US, the most conservative states always lead in teen pregnancy and domestic abuse by a wide margin, for example. It comes down to asserting authority over them.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Mans posted:

brazil is cool and good, it's just that they're massively corrupt, they kill homosexuals and trans people by the thousands, they are incredibly conservative and violent torwards women but then want them to almost always be butt naked in parades and TV...

Sounds like America.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Mans posted:

Dumbass Tuga.

bagual
Oct 29, 2010

inconspicuous
Brazil is corrupt and decadent. That's why we need to put the monarchy back in power

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
wasn't the monarchy not complete poo poo stains?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Crowsbeak posted:

I've heard that Pedro II's reign was the golden age of Brazil.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Crowsbeak posted:

Well they had slavery during the monarchy soooooo

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Badger of Basra posted:

Well they had slavery during the monarchy soooooo

And Pedro II was the one who repealed it which ended up giving a lot of Republican support to Deodoro by butthurt plantation owners soooooooo

Magrov
Mar 27, 2010

I'm completely lost and have no idea what's going on. I'll be at my bunker.

If you need any diplomatic or mineral stuff just call me. If you plan to nuke India please give me a 5 minute warning to close the windows!

Also Iapetus sucks!

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

And Pedro II was the one who repealed it which ended up giving a lot of Republican support to Deodoro by butthurt plantation owners soooooooo

they were butthurt because the government didn't pay indemnities for the lost slaves, not because of the repeal. european immigrant labor was already more profitable than slave labor for plantation owners by the time the repeal happened.

bagual
Oct 29, 2010

inconspicuous
The monarchy was arch-conservative garbage from the get go. There were numerous regional revolts which were ended by massacring the population, before slavery was abolished there were measures like the Land Law of 1850 which were specifically designed to prevent blacks from owning land, confining ex-slaves to the urban poverty pattern that persists to this day, that is without mentioning the "Whitening of Population" program started by the very same government in the 1870s, bringing white immigrants from europe to work the fields in semi-slave regimes. Also, the court stunted industrial growth as hard as they could to maintain our trademark commodity-export economy by undermining pioneer industrialists like the baron of Mauá. Only empire in independent america hoorayyy

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Oh yeah? well at least they didn't make my videogames more expensive, thanks dilma

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

frajaq posted:

Oh yeah? well at least they didn't make my videogames more expensive, thanks dilma

You at least have Nuuvem. :steam:

I got to say, at least you assholes over there can get designer boardgames from Devir :argh: It's me, I'm the consumerist garbage, I'm the capitalistic-minded enemy :v:

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Azran posted:

You at least have Nuuvem. :steam:

Paying 150 instead of rear end-loving 200 reais for MGSV was a godsend but still gently caress Marta Suplicy for snubbing JogoJusto.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Hey, Brazilian Steam is quite cheap, we didn't have that with the tucanos. So much for free market, heh. :smug:

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
Have you guys seen this? A chilean reporter interviewing protestors making an rear end of themselves. One dude says that pinochet was a hero and he's the reason the reporter is allowed to do his job today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tnhc3l7k4AI

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

"I raised my daughter alone. Didn't need bolsa familia and I don't live off the government" Jane Moretti, 66, Pensionista militar do evercito (i.e., receives a lifetime pension as a widow of a former member of the military)

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
Not even necessarily the widow of a soldier, as in some cases the pension could pass to any unmarried daughters. Considering the minimum wage, military pensions are pretty grossly generous.

NEED TOILET PAPER
Mar 22, 2013

by XyloJW

computer parts posted:

Sounds like America.

I dunno, I think mainland USA is still a bastion of administrative honesty compared to Latin America. Here's a PR example: we have a wildlife museum that basically nobody ever goes to, maintained by the San Juan municipal government. It's filled with a bunch of taxidermied exotic animals like tigers and poo poo. The rumor is, mayor Jorge Santini had the joint built in order to house his and his friends' hunting trophies. Bear in mind, this building has to be maintained with air conditioning and whatnot (supposedly because taxidermied animals need to be kept at a certain temperature in order to not go to poo poo? I dunno). This is pretty galling at a time in which our economy is making GBS threads itself.

Anyways, quick update on the drought: :derp::siren:HOLY gently caress IT RAINED THE OTHER DAY:siren::derp: Not enough to alleviate the situation a whole lot, but still a good sign.

bagual posted:

Only empire in independent america hoorayyy

Wasn't Mexico declared an empire at one point too? Granted, that was after the French invaded and installed a European emperor, but still :spergin:

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Well, Latin America is still working out how the whole democratic system works, what with all the USA supported dictators we had for a century or so, hehe. But all the things that guy called out also describe America to a T. Brazil tries very hard to be Southern USA, so it's not surprising.

NEED TOILET PAPER
Mar 22, 2013

by XyloJW

Dias posted:

Well, Latin America is still working out how the whole democratic system works, what with all the USA supported dictators we had for a century or so, hehe. But all the things that guy called out also describe America to a T. Brazil tries very hard to be Southern USA, so it's not surprising.

That's fair. And it's pretty funny that you compared Brazil to the US South since Brazil was the destination for a lot of Confederate emigres who still wanted to keep slaves after the Civil War.

Siselmo
Jun 16, 2013

hey there

NEED TOILET PAPER posted:

Wasn't Mexico declared an empire at one point too? Granted, that was after the French invaded and installed a European emperor, but still :spergin:

Actually, it happened twice :v:, first one was a criollo, I think. Right after independence. Lasted around a year.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

NEED TOILET PAPER posted:

That's fair. And it's pretty funny that you compared Brazil to the US South since Brazil was the destination for a lot of Confederate emigres who still wanted to keep slaves after the Civil War.

Yeah, there's even a city called Americana in São Paulo (I think) that celebrates 4th of July and has a bunch of confederate flags on display.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magrov
Mar 27, 2010

I'm completely lost and have no idea what's going on. I'll be at my bunker.

If you need any diplomatic or mineral stuff just call me. If you plan to nuke India please give me a 5 minute warning to close the windows!

Also Iapetus sucks!

Dias posted:

Yeah, there's even a city called Americana in São Paulo (I think) that celebrates 4th of July and has a bunch of confederate flags on display.

a very misleading photo, for the confederate cemitery is actually located at santa bárbara d'oeste.

also, it should be noted that it's not really a monument to the confederacy, but a private cemitery that only exists because the catholic church were assholes and refused to bury an unbaptized confederate american imigrant kid.

Magrov fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Aug 19, 2015