Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Is there any legit way to buy The Precursors, then? Apparently Gamersgate used to sell it, but now can't find.

This game actually reminded me a similar title - Parkan II, which also tried to mix FPS and space sim.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShinAli
May 2, 2003

The Kid better watch his step.
Is there a decent collection of coop maps for Doom II? Something for like 3 or 4 players? Would I use skulltag or whatever is the hot poo poo for multiplayer Doom is now and days?

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

ShinAli posted:

Is there a decent collection of coop maps for Doom II? Something for like 3 or 4 players? Would I use skulltag or whatever is the hot poo poo for multiplayer Doom is now and days?

It's called Zandronum now. Doomseeker.exe is used as a multiplayer server browser and comes with it, Zandronum being the frontend. Soon as you open Doomseeker, it will probably ask you to show it where your main wad files(Doom, Doom2, etc) are located, or just set it yourself under file paths. By trying to connect to a server it will automatically download the wads you need to play on that server. I suggest taking a look at all the ones listed as "cooperative" to see if something looks good. It's often fun to "spin the wheel", so to speak. If you want some specific stuff, find a server with like Back to Saturn X, Scythe 1 and 2, Alien Vendetta, Russian Overkill, or any mix of class/overhaul mods. Samsara is a great class wad that can be applied to any mapset and some overhaul type mods. Brutal Doom can be cool for people who have never played doom or haven't played for a long time. Anything made by TerminusEst13 posted about here.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Rocket Pan posted:

Slowed down for your amusement/education: ZDoom drawing various complex scenes piece by piece.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhmvIykT_8g

I love these. Its like Bob Ross drawing Doom.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Now that I've played through Quake again on Normal and feel like I've finally really gotten the hang of it, The Nameless City is definitely my favorite map in the game. It nails the dark and otherworldly aesthetic the best of all the original maps.

Also Backsteingotik is a great map, go play it.

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Aug 16, 2015

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

http://www.doomworld.com/vb/doomworld-news/74184-idgames-maintainer-ty-halderman-passes-away-at-69/

Ty Halderman is dead. RIP.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

drat, RIP :(

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
It's important that we remember people like Ty, the custodians who work in the background, managing and archiving our history. Ty played an important part in keeping Doom history alive, and thus keeping gaming history alive. It's because of people like him that we have archives of the past, so that we may learn from them and build into the future. My deepest condolences to his family.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

daaamn, that sucks :smith:

RIP to a guy I never realized was this important to the community.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I'd kinda feared the worst when that "idgames/ hasn't been updated since April" thread rolled around. It'd turned out by the end of that thread that he was hospitalized, so I naively just assumed he'd get better there and that'd be that. Evidently not. RIP.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

All internet communities rely on the support of technical people who keep the servers up and the sites running. The Doom community owes much of its longevity to people like Ty Halderman who worked tirelessly for 22 years and counting to keep its repositories online. Think about how many classic mods and map sets for other games are lost to history and how that has never happened to Doom.

He will be missed.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

There's a boatload of old q2/hl1 mods/betas/etc you just can't find anymore. Quake has survived pretty well and obviously there's a lot of hl1 content, too.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Kazvall posted:

There's a boatload of old q2/hl1 mods/betas/etc you just can't find anymore. Quake has survived pretty well and obviously there's a lot of hl1 content, too.

There's also UT Files for UT99 and (to a lesser extent) UT 2k4. Oldunreal is also a decent archive for old Unreal 1 mods and maps.

Doom and Quake 1 are preserved a lot better than Q2 and Q3 because there were centralized hubs for uploading content, /idgames and /idgames2, along with compilation CDs floating around that serve as physical backups for maps that would otherwise be lost. Instead of putting stuff on an FTP, people would hosting it on their own websites, either from a third party provider or from their own website, which makes it a lot harder to archive something before it goes away forever. The Doom and Quake 1 archives still have a lot of holes in them, but it's much better than the messes that are Q2 and Q3.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
It blows my mind that Ty Halderman was that old. That would have meant he was solidly middle-aged even when Doom came out. Not knowing any better, I always just imagined him as the sort of Doomer who was a twentysomething in the 90s.

RIP, dude who enabled my enjoyment of this game over the past twenty years.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

JerryLee posted:

It blows my mind that Ty Halderman was that old. That would have meant he was solidly middle-aged even when Doom came out. Not knowing any better, I always just imagined him as the sort of Doomer who was a twentysomething in the 90s.

RIP, dude who enabled my enjoyment of this game over the past twenty years.

That was the same thing that dawned on me. When I was initially looking into his background, I was thinking it was somebody in their forties who just had some health issues...but finding out he was almost 70...I wasn't expecting that.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
That's a shame, seemed like a hard working guy.

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

RIP Ty, thanks for the hard work in keeping the past alive. idgames is a huge part of why the Doom games are still going today - you only have to look at Dukeworld's closure all those years back to see what happens when a central hub for a game shuts down. I know the Doom community will keep on working content and keeping idgames up for hopefully decades to come.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Doom lasts longer than 99.9% of games (and I'm not even sure about the 0.1%), because of people like Ty. Either the content is available to the masses, or it isn't.
RIP

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Jblade posted:

I know the Doom community will keep on working content and keeping idgames up for hopefully decades to come.
The /idgames/ server hardware is handled by another group (Gamers.org) who intend to keep it going because "after two decades there's no reason to stop now". They appointed two new maintainers (Bloodshedder and TheGreenHerring) back in May, about a month after Ty's last login.

The WADs will keep on flowing, and will keep on getting sorted and archived with an unnerving frequency for years to come.

SparkTR
May 6, 2009

laserghost posted:

Is there any legit way to buy The Precursors, then? Apparently Gamersgate used to sell it, but now can't find.

This game actually reminded me a similar title - Parkan II, which also tried to mix FPS and space sim.

You can buy it on Beamdog, and then download the fan improvement patch. This was how I played it a few years ago and from what I know it's the best way to play it in English countries.

Speaking of FPS/Space simulators, has anybody tried Alpha Storm? It was developed by Psygnosis in 1997 and it seems like a mix between Doom and FTL: Faster Than Light. Here's some gameplay. You basically have to travel the galaxy, defeating or boarding ships while acquiring new technology for your ship (cloaking devices, better shields, weapons etc) or for yourself (psi powers) in order to fight the games more powerful endboss. It looks super interesting.

blackmarketlimb
Dec 27, 2005
I'm replaying Doom to deal with my grandpa's death.

I was six years old when Doom came out. My grandpa was a former naval engineer and electrician, fascinated by computers since they started to become affordable in the home. When he was forced into retirement from being an electrician because of an accident that left him with a cracked spine and no cartilage in his knees, he started a business repairing computers and got certified as a dial-up installer for the local ISP, and eventually we ended up building a really primitive early 90's gaming rig together.

The first game we tried? Shareware Doom. He wouldn't let me play because I was too young, but I'd seen Aliens and Evil Dead II so many times by that point he had like, zero qualms about letting me watch him play. I watched him play all night that Saturday and beat the episode. Immediately ordered the full game from the phone number in the manual and he beat the episode like.. at least fifty times before the full game came in the mail. And I watched him play that game every weekend when I could stay up to do so. I have nostalgic spot for Old Milwaukee, because he'd always drink that while he played.

Then when I turned ten, he decided I was old enough and bought me a copy of Doom 95 and spent almost six hours watching me struggle to teach myself how to get the game to work. I get kinda choked up now with just how drat happy little idiot me was when I got into the game and I heard that awesome music.

I was far from the best grandson - in fact, I was really loving lovely - but those nights were some of the best I ever had and I'm really glad he bothered to teach me everything he knew.

It makes me really happy that the game is still so popular twenty some years on and to know that if he'd still been able to process anything in the last few years of his life, he would have had a blast with the WADs and conversions. Especially the RPG ones.

I hope wherever he is, he has an Old Milwaukee and a cigarette and is waiting for me so we can pick up swearing at Barons of Hell right where we left off.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

blackmarketlimb posted:

I'm replaying Doom to deal with my grandpa's death.

I was six years old when Doom came out. My grandpa was a former naval engineer and electrician, fascinated by computers since they started to become affordable in the home. When he was forced into retirement from being an electrician because of an accident that left him with a cracked spine and no cartilage in his knees, he started a business repairing computers and got certified as a dial-up installer for the local ISP, and eventually we ended up building a really primitive early 90's gaming rig together.

The first game we tried? Shareware Doom. He wouldn't let me play because I was too young, but I'd seen Aliens and Evil Dead II so many times by that point he had like, zero qualms about letting me watch him play. I watched him play all night that Saturday and beat the episode. Immediately ordered the full game from the phone number in the manual and he beat the episode like.. at least fifty times before the full game came in the mail. And I watched him play that game every weekend when I could stay up to do so. I have nostalgic spot for Old Milwaukee, because he'd always drink that while he played.

Then when I turned ten, he decided I was old enough and bought me a copy of Doom 95 and spent almost six hours watching me struggle to teach myself how to get the game to work. I get kinda choked up now with just how drat happy little idiot me was when I got into the game and I heard that awesome music.

I was far from the best grandson - in fact, I was really loving lovely - but those nights were some of the best I ever had and I'm really glad he bothered to teach me everything he knew.

It makes me really happy that the game is still so popular twenty some years on and to know that if he'd still been able to process anything in the last few years of his life, he would have had a blast with the WADs and conversions. Especially the RPG ones.

I hope wherever he is, he has an Old Milwaukee and a cigarette and is waiting for me so we can pick up swearing at Barons of Hell right where we left off.

Well, this is amazing and made me feel sad but at the same time remember when I started to play in 1993 when I was 10. Thanks for sharing. Doom is still the king.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

My software Quake odyssey continues:

I'm surprised at how well Qbism super8 handles Travail, considering that Travail has very detailed maps and was designed purely for OpenGL ports. I'm using the map files from the "Epsilon" patch to get the colored lighting and water vis (discarding all the other Epsilon stuff). Unfortunately at least the first map does not play as well as it looks, it has lots of cramped areas and places where you can get caught on ornamental brushwork. Does it get better in terms of gameplay? If I'm being challenged in the first map, does that mean I'll find later maps basically impossible?

EDIT: Holy poo poo my settings are dark. I don't even notice while playing it but against a light forum background... :psyduck:

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Aug 18, 2015

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Trying to troubleshoot a Windows 98 hardware setup here -

How do I tell if CD audio is working in Blood? I've got my audio connector plugged in to the SB Live! card from the CD drive and I've verified that it works by using the CD Player program in Windows, but I'm not sure when the music is supposed to kick in in the game. I made sure that the install directory was pointing to the right drive in the game's .ini file. Should it be starting right away in the first episode or something?

Douk Douk
Mar 17, 2009

Take your pervert war elsewhere.
The CD music is just supposed to play right as you start the game, yeah. I would love to help you out, but I'm afraid I only know how to troubleshoot DOSBox.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

PINING 4 PORKINS posted:

Trying to troubleshoot a Windows 98 hardware setup here -

How do I tell if CD audio is working in Blood? I've got my audio connector plugged in to the SB Live! card from the CD drive and I've verified that it works by using the CD Player program in Windows, but I'm not sure when the music is supposed to kick in in the game. I made sure that the install directory was pointing to the right drive in the game's .ini file. Should it be starting right away in the first episode or something?

Yes. This is Blood's track 3, used in e1l1. The MIDI track used in e1l1 sounds much different.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

drat, I'm kind of stumped then. The game's telling me it detects a CD drive and music tracks in the loading console, but nothing plays. Hell, if I keep the CD player application open in Windows before I start the game it'll play and switch to a random track. It'll load the videos just fine off the CD, too.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

I just watched Quake Done 100% Quickest as a demo.

It's an assault on the senses. My head hurts. :psyduck:

Speaking of assaults...

If you listen closely you can hear my CPU crying.

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Aug 18, 2015

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Woolie Wool posted:

Speaking of assaults...

Those Quake Done Quick demos never cease to be amazing to me. That's some nice architecture in that screenie. I don't think I've played that mapset.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Woolie Wool posted:

Speaking of assaults...

This reminds me so much of the Notre Dame level from Timesplitters (2?)

Prenton
Feb 17, 2011

Ner nerr-nerrr ner
According to a post on TTLG, Night Dive have asked System Shock Portable to be taken down as they have "acquired all rights to the System Shock franchise"...

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

This is a long-shot, but I'll give it a try: I'm playing System Shock 2 via Steam, and it's loading up WINE so it'll run (I'm on OS X). That's fine, it starts up ok. but for whatever reason, the info windows in my hud are a little bit on-screen, but mostly are way too far off to the side. How do I fix this? I'd post a screenshot, but I'm not at my computer right now.

Prenton
Feb 17, 2011

Ner nerr-nerrr ner
Try fiddling with d3d_disp_scaled_2d_overlay option in cam_ext.cfg.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
RIP and tear, Ty.

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -

Woolie Wool posted:

Unfortunately at least the first map does not play as well as it looks, it has lots of cramped areas and places where you can get caught on ornamental brushwork. Does it get better in terms of gameplay? If I'm being challenged in the first map, does that mean I'll find later maps basically impossible?

Hmm. I don't remember specifically, except that the two Travail episodes are pretty different from each other. Might as well keep going!

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Woolie Wool posted:

I'm a fan of speedruns, i follow Cubeface21 on twitch who does nice speedruns of Quake, Blood, Duke Nukem 3D, The Wheel of Time and Unreal (I believe he does Quake 2 sometimes too) and Return to Castle Wolfenstein. There are also other runners for Dark Souls I/II who are worth watching. But of all games, Quake is some sort of art because of the stupid speed. It doesn't rely on breaking the game (like clipping through walls and that stuff), it's just pure skill, game knowledge and reflexes.

Douk Douk
Mar 17, 2009

Take your pervert war elsewhere.

Guillermus posted:

I'm a fan of speedruns, i follow Cubeface21 on twitch who does nice speedruns of Quake, Blood, Duke Nukem 3D, The Wheel of Time and Unreal (I believe he does Quake 2 sometimes too) and Return to Castle Wolfenstein. There are also other runners for Dark Souls I/II who are worth watching. But of all games, Quake is some sort of art because of the stupid speed. It doesn't rely on breaking the game (like clipping through walls and that stuff), it's just pure skill, game knowledge and reflexes.

Dark Souls speedruns are the most luck-based runs I've ever seen. It's all based on whether or not an enemy does a certain attack at a certain time, or if something drops in particular, etc. Dark Souls is a good game, but a terrible speedrunning game.

I don't think I've ever seen RTCW speedran before. Mostly because it flew under the radar in the first place, I suppose. I feel like people just categorized it as yet another WW2 shooter at the time. Sucks for them, they missed out on miniguns and ubersoldiers.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
Quake Done Quickest is art. Seriously.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
I dunno about speedruns of RTCW but Boot runs of RTCW are the poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Geight posted:

I dunno about speedruns of RTCW but Boot runs of RTCW are the poo poo.

Boot runs of windows 95 get pretty intense sometimes