Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Jan 23, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Gutter Owl posted:

Well, yeah, ethnic extermination is a Thing the Continentals and the later US did a lot of. But that's not the issue Volko is raising.

The question isn't, "Why did the Continental Army attack the Iroquois?" The question is, "Why did the Continental Army attack the Iroquois RIGHT NOW, with a huge military offensive and logistical support, while otherwise occupied in the middle of a war zone? Why couldn't this wait?" And the answer is, "Because the Iroquois Confederacy were in a strong military position, and could have decided the war if not confronted, immediately and in force." Which is something that most scholarship on the American Revolutionary War doesn't really talk about. Historians have a tendency to treat the Native involvement in the war as a sideshow to the white people, when the Native confederations actually exerted a huge, active influence on the military and political landscape.

Now I'll admit I'm not an expert on the American revolution, my expertise is mostly in the 20th century, but I think an answer of "Why attack the Iroquois at that moment" is to give his newly trained army an easy win, a big morale victory, and that's my idealistic option. It could also have been driven by just wanting to wipe the Native's out. It's not unusual at all for armies to divert from the business of military objectives in order to commit war crimes. Just look at Lee's invasion of the North which confounded Union military commanders because he was more concerned about going to majority free Black towns and slave raiding as well as for supplies.

Now again I'll admit I could be wrong the era is not my expertise, most classes I have taken that dealt with the American Revolution did as well treat the Natives as a sideshow and growing up in New York when I was younger the taught us the history of the state and left things like this out of it. So he could be right.

Though this is something I do love about CDG and the COIN series is that they can, (and should) drive discussions like this.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
Yeah. It's not a case of a totally strategic goal and not a case of a totally over the top act of hatred, either. Whether it's 'easy' or not is pretty debateable too.

The iroquois began attacking french settlements around 1650 at the urging of the mohawk. Not french soldiers keep in mind--french families. This escalated over the next 100 years, and generalized to attacking american settlements. George Washington had the nickname Conotocaurious ('town destroyer') from the iroquois, because they recognized him as the great grandson of another general washington who killed (or massacred depending on how you like your terms) towns of a couple tribes (who's names I don't remember susquehannah might be one, or they were near that river? I forget) whose chiefs came out to meet the colonists under a flag of truce. And, before the war, Washington (the younger one we mostly know) made a point of saying he knew that was his nickname when he asked the Oneida to resettle on behalf of the crown (who he was still working for at that point).

Also, there's a specific element of timing that's very interesting, and something I've always kind of wondered about. In 1777, Louis the XVI responded to a request from the not-US for aid by asking for french volunteers. Lafayette, among others, responded to the request, and began forming an expedition to head over. England got word of this and told France it'd be war if they sent this aid, and lafayette was punished by his father by being sent to england to hang around for a little while at court and prove that he was a friendly guy. He came home and sort of snuck away/got talked into sneaking away to america anyway, and thus started the first shift of helping the US in the revolution. That went until 1779, when he returned home to a brief house arrest and subsequent hero's welcome in 1780. At that point he was able to put together 6000 troops and return to america with some of the aid that ended up being so important to our winning the war.

In 1779, Washington launched the Sullivan raid which ended up destroying 40 Iroquois villages/towns.

So in terms of timing, it may have had an element of currying favor with the french (whose colonists suffered from conflict with the indians and might have been salty from the fact that the Iroquois sided with the british against the french in the previous war). It also had an element of being completely necessary--since, as Gutter Owl said, they were in a good position. Perhaps more importantly, 4 of the 6 nations in the Iroquois league were allies of the british, and fighting on their side. That fighting took the shape of periodic raids into the colonial area. The mohawks were famously lead by this guy named Joseph Brant (that was his white name--he had a real one too that I can't spell) who attacked settlements in the Mohawk valley. This contributed to the problem of desertion in the revolutionary army; wanting to go home to protect your family. So if you want soldiers who will stick around, you're almost automatically on the hook to make sure their families aren't killed or captured, and their farms burned while they're away fighting the war with you. You also don't want to leave a declared ally in the backfield, denying you places to retreat away from british forces, and potentially helping to encircle you. Also worth noting is that 2 tribes joined the colonists, and they probably need a fight to secure their safety from the other native tribes that they'd split from. If you made sure they were safe, then you had allies. If not, the colonials might have lost them, or they might have been brought back in the fold on the side of the british against the revolutionary army.

Trynant
Oct 7, 2010

The final spice...your tears <3
Tangentially, everything in TheCosmicMuffet's post (and frankly this entire discourse) sounds like the warfare/diplomacy grey ground that COIN games thrive in.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Edit: sorry, wrong thread.

have a funny fake article instead.

Lichtenstein fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Aug 18, 2015

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
I bought A World At War, and am currently sorting the 2800 counters. I want to clip these, but my hands are already seizing up into arthritic pretzels just thinking about it.

Also, this may be the best review of a board game I've ever read:

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/940888/life-altering-game-deserves-kind-session-report

Trynant
Oct 7, 2010

The final spice...your tears <3

COOL CORN posted:

I want to clip these, but my hands are already seizing up into arthritic pretzels just thinking about it.

If you use a good corner rounder (2mm or 2.5mm) and take your time, it'll be tedious but painless. I started with nail-clippers and that gave me a RWI (no really).

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
Since Cuba Libre might not be back in print for a while, if I wanted to play on Vassal solo are there any manuals I need that GMT isn't offering? I know for Navajo Wars(which I own) GMT doesn't offer some of the flow charts to prevent people from just not buying the physical game.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

sonatinas posted:

Since Cuba Libre might not be back in print for a while, if I wanted to play on Vassal solo are there any manuals I need that GMT isn't offering? I know for Navajo Wars(which I own) GMT doesn't offer some of the flow charts to prevent people from just not buying the physical game.

There are AI flowcharts you won't be able to use, but in general all you need is the rulebook/playbook to learn and play solo.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

COOL CORN posted:

There are AI flowcharts you won't be able to use, but in general all you need is the rulebook/playbook to learn and play solo.

If that's the case what do the AI flowcharts offer that the rule/play book doesn't? Just an easier explanation?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Technically the only info you're missing how the bots handle special events, which you can probably figure out for yourself. If you find the rulebook to hard to refer to (I did in FITL) you can just use it to make your own flowchart.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

sonatinas posted:

If that's the case what do the AI flowcharts offer that the rule/play book doesn't? Just an easier explanation?

The AI flowchart plays the non-player-factions for you. "If there are less than X forces in Havana, then do Y action" "If X faction has less than Y resources, then do Z action", etc.

The rulebook itself doesn't have any of that.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Jan 23, 2016

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

this is incredible

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

T-Bone posted:

this is incredible

Seriously. Reading that is what made me want to buy AWAW.

That said, I just posted a turn 1 AAR of the North Africa scenario, mostly to make sure I'm playing the rules right. If anyone wants to see it, I'll post here as well. But... it's pretty dry and boring.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
A clipper arrived
The corners await their turn
Will this be the last?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

COOL CORN posted:

Seriously. Reading that is what made me want to buy AWAW.

That said, I just posted a turn 1 AAR of the North Africa scenario, mostly to make sure I'm playing the rules right. If anyone wants to see it, I'll post here as well. But... it's pretty dry and boring.

:justpost:

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Welp, it's pending approval :geno: I'll post it after I can get to it again.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Does anyone have experience with any of the games published by Nuts Publishing?

The Mantis
Jul 19, 2004

what is yall sayin?
Does anyone have any experience with ordering from Worthington Publishing? I live overseas and there's been a bit of a shipping snafu on the copy of hold the Line I ordered.

Have been in sporadic contact with one of their reps, but wondering if should wait it out or ping them more often.

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.
Played my first ASL game. Successfully defended Vierville by crudely sacrificing two squads and then murdering lots of germans. Feels like positioning is everything in this game.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Illegal Username posted:

Played my first ASL game. Successfully defended Vierville by crudely sacrificing two squads and then murdering lots of germans. Feels like positioning is everything in this game.

Welcome, friend. Welcome.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?

Illegal Username posted:

Well, it kind of is. Depending on your definition of positioning. But yes, the good players are always looking at things like cutting off (and keeping open) route paths, firepower that can be brought on various hexes, etc.

quote:

And yet when I emerge from the cabin with hair down to my waist and dice pips for eyes, I will not have actually lost a single day to the game, because in my alternate universe I never stayed at a job I disliked, never put off breaking up with someone out of guilt, never sat through a bad film or boring dinner just to be nice, never got stuck at a distant relative's house for the holidays, or went to a depressing funeral or a hopeless and demeaning job interview, or done any of the thousand things we tragically feel we must do as grownups but which slowly rob us of our spirit, and also somehow erode the value we place on innocent play. In the daydream my hands possess the ability to resurrect vanished hours, and I’ve collected enough to spread them around like GeekGold. Take them, I say to the gamers I pass as I walk home down that now sun-dappled country road, take them and stay young, count as many hexes and evade as many zones of control as you can dream of, and play as if we're all fifteen years old--back when the still-limitless world seemed to wait humbly, patiently, for our every daring move.

I'm pretty sure this review actually ended with a single gunshot. :suicide:

SlyFrog fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Aug 19, 2015

Das_Ubermike
Sep 2, 2011

www.oldmanmurray.com

COOL CORN posted:

I bought A World At War, and am currently sorting the 2800 counters. I want to clip these, but my hands are already seizing up into arthritic pretzels just thinking about it.

Also, this may be the best review of a board game I've ever read:

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/940888/life-altering-game-deserves-kind-session-report

Actually I thought the dude seemed like a shitlord. The sort of person who has to casually mention in every conversation how he doesn't even own a TV. Still, i'm glad this netted him an A in his creative writing class.

4outof5
Nov 10, 2003

Leader of the ULT Right.
Grabbing pussy since April 2, 1994
This is what happens when you let sex criminals make wargames

wrong nationality, wrong name, wrong paint surely this counter is for this unit!

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

4outof5 posted:

wrong nationality, wrong name, wrong paint surely this counter is for this unit!

It's technically the exact same plane, just a export/lend-lease version.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?

4outof5 posted:

Is that a GMT game?

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
So, Churchill.

Lichtenstein posted:

I've been in two minds about this game ever since the rules were spoiled. It's got a cool angle on WWII, but a number of gameplay ideas behind it seem fairly unconvincing. On the other hand, it's Mark Herman and he's super excited about this, and he knows his poo poo when it comes to wargaming, right?

If you share your impressions, apart from the general "is it good", I'd kindly ask you to day how some of the things work in practice:

- Is the actual cardplay interesting, beyond the basic twist of "it's War... But with a third player!"? What little cards I've seen were of the fairly unexciting "+1 if played on issue X" and "you can play this dude, but then he might die" variety.
- The final scoring seems like a convoluted, kludgy, die-rolly attempt at dealing with runaway leader problem. But who knows, maybe Herman's reasoning behind does indeed make sense?

Anyone finally had a chance to play it?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

My copy of EotS is now fully sleeved as well as clipped. Anything else I could spruce up? :v:

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Tekopo posted:

My copy of EotS is now fully sleeved as well as clipped. Anything else I could spruce up? :v:

You got a plano box in there son?

You could always go the extra mile and double sleeve the cards. Which considering how expensive OOP wargames are is not totally insane.

4outof5
Nov 10, 2003

Leader of the ULT Right.
Grabbing pussy since April 2, 1994

SlyFrog posted:

Is that a GMT game?

of course it is they put the rape in rape and pillage you know.

MikeCrotch posted:

You got a plano box in there son?

You could always go the extra mile and double sleeve the cards. Which considering how expensive OOP wargames are is not totally insane.

GMT makes GMT counter trays which are perfect for anything other than monster games like ASL and leave much more room than plano boxes in the box.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

4outof5 posted:

of course it is they put the rape in rape and pillage you know.

GMT makes GMT counter trays which are perfect for anything other than monster games like ASL and leave much more room than plano boxes in the box.

With the mounted map, there is ZERO room in the box for anything larger than tiny ziplock bags.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Does EotS have dice? Perhaps custom Japanese and U.S. Dice? I just bought some stupid Q Workshop dice to spruce up my copy of Reds!

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Lord Frisk posted:

Does EotS have dice? Perhaps custom Japanese and U.S. Dice? I just bought some stupid Q Workshop dice to spruce up my copy of Reds!

It comes with 1 red and 1 blue 10-sided die

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Getting custom dice for d10s is pretty expensive apparently.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Tekopo posted:

Getting custom dice for d10s is pretty expensive apparently.

Custom d10s have less usable real estate per side and actual structural/manufacturing issues with symbols engraved near the points; this is a big reason why Fantasy Flight Games stopped using them when it revised one of its big roleplaying games.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Yeah, but I'm still gonna give it a try. Will send out emails and report back.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

As an aside, does anyone want some red and yellow Q Workshop communist dice or black and white dog tag d6s? I've got fifteen of each coming in the mail and I'm only using two. Maybe pimp one die from twilight struggle?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Lichtenstein posted:

So, Churchill.

Anyone finally had a chance to play it?

I got a chance to play the tournament scenario up until the last conference where the US player decided he had better things to do like go to college or some poo poo like that. Anyway, the initial impression is "pretty decent." I didn't get the chance to go to scoring so I don't know about your complaint but there are rules for 'tournament scoring' which removes the die rolls and just makes it flat cutoffs. The card play isn't bad, the actual play is pretty simple but figuring out what to grab and when to do so is tricky. (And there are some staffers with slightly more interesting abilities, but nothing especially mindblowing.) My problem with the game is that it seems a little too heavy for what it is, there's lots of upkeep and stuff that takes time away from the actual decision-making; and I imagine there might be some slight issues introducing it to new players. (On a scale of conventional boardgames that is, it's simpler than 90% of the games in this thread.) That said, I did enjoy it and want to try it again. There's nothing quite like it, both in theme and in the way that theme is communicated; it feels like playing a coop but you're also seeking to stab all your partners in the back. I don't have a good grasp on the strategy yet, so I think it will take a few more plays to really form a solid opinion, but right now I would say that while it's not going to blow minds it's definitely interesting and there's nothing serious wrong with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.
The weirdest loving thing happened.
I played that ASL game yesterday, and today my friend calls me if i'm up for a game.
"Dude,i literally spent this morning thinking how I could have won that scenario. Meet you at five?"
"Haha, gently caress, sure It's been ages since we played wargames, isn't it?"

It's been over a decade since we spent our meager cash on WH40k and spent every gaming session bickering about rules minutiae, having meltdowns about losing and never noticing the horrible imbalance which meant the newest army would always win.
I don't know if it's because we now have an actual Good Game or is it just because we're grown-rear end men who realize board games are not Serious Business (but are still childish enough to devote hours into them), we had an absolute loving blast.
He wanted a rematch of Vierville and this time it did not take three loving hours. Ultimately i won, but he absolutely murdered my Paratroopers and came within a hex of his objective with a series of balls-tighteningly close melees. No bickering whatsoever, just good times and dice throwing and the occasional sperg about probabilities because he is just that kind of a guy.
Ok, now for the weird poo poo. My girlfriend who initially told me i am a idiot child for spending so much money on a boardgame was around. At first she retreated to watch tv but at some point she joined me on the couch and started asking things like "what do those numbers on the cardboard mean?" and "why did you just flip the chit, didn't they just get shot?" and ultimately things like "why didn't you move those squads in that building instead, you would have had full firepower to his half firepower?"

She wants to play a game of ASL tomorrow :psyduck:

I don't know if i should be happy or terrified

George Rouncewell fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Aug 20, 2015