Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

Merauder posted:

Oooookay, thanks for helping out. I think I was treating the banner Agendas as a replacement for the House card instead of two co-existent cards, and that was making the verbiage on them seem really counter intuitive. So I would have both my House card (Stark, allowing for any number of loyal or non-loyal Stark cards), and the "Banner of the Watch" Agenda next to it to indicate that I can have non-loyal NW cards, to a minimum of 12 NW cards in the deck. Am I getting it now? :v:

Yup, that's it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Merauder posted:

Oooookay, thanks for helping out. I think I was treating the banner Agendas as a replacement for the House card instead of two co-existent cards, and that was making the verbiage on them seem really counter intuitive. So I would have both my House card (Stark, allowing for any number of loyal or non-loyal Stark cards), and the "Banner of the Watch" Agenda next to it to indicate that I can have non-loyal NW cards, to a minimum of 12 NW cards in the deck. Am I getting it now? :v:

Boom. Perfect.

Have fun!

nyxnyxnyx
Jun 24, 2013

GrandpaPants posted:

Take it to the standard board game thread since this is going to lead to a huge derail, moreso than suggesting a non-LCG in the LCG thread.

Criticize my Greyjoy/Baratheon deck, like, the two people who have played the game already. I'm not terribly married to the Baratheon, since it really needs Melisandre to go off, but I already have Lannister and Tyrell earmarked for a Melee deck, so I needed another source of Intrigue. Was tempted to use Stark for Ned and Arya though. I almost feel as if Renown characters need to be 3x, but it's hard to fit 60 cards.
This is my attempt at Greyjoy/Bara. To answer the other guy, kneeling is absolutely great with Greyjoy since it helps create unopposed challenges and also helps you race power against other power rushing people.

Your deck looks like it could use some of the value uniques in both factions at 1-of. Shireen is great and Chamber/Iron Throne is extremely potent with a well-timed soft board reset (Wildfire). The overall concept is solid (Renown/Kneel/Stealth) and it's definitely a deck I'm working on to play when tournaments begin, just need to get the numbers right.

Deck Created with CardGameDB.com A Game of Thrones 2nd Edition Deckbuilder

Total Cards: (60)

Faction:
Greyjoy

Agenda: (1)
1x Banner of the Stag (Core Set)

Plot: (7)
2x Filthy Accusations (Core Set)
1x Confiscation (Core Set)
1x Wildfire Assault (Core Set)
1x Heads on Spikes (Core Set)
1x Calm Over Westeros (Core Set)
1x Building Orders (Core Set)

Character: (31)
1x Aeron Damphair (Core Set)
3x Asha Greyjoy (Core Set)
3x Balon Greyjoy (Core Set)
3x Euron Crow’s Eye (Core Set)
3x Fiery Followers (Core Set)
3x Iron Islands Fishmonger (Core Set)
1x Littlefinger (Core Set)
1x Lordsport Shipwright (Core Set)
1x Maester Cressen (Core Set)
1x Maester Wendamyr (Core Set)
3x Melisandre (Core Set)
3x Salty Navigator (Core Set)
1x Selyse Baratheon (Core Set)
1x Shireen Baratheon (Core Set)
3x Theon Greyjoy (Core Set)

Attachment: (6)
1x Little Bird (Core Set)
3x Milk of the Poppy (Core Set)
2x Throwing Axe (Core Set)

Event: (10)
2x Risen from the Sea (Core Set)
3x Seen In Flames (Core Set)
3x The Kraken’s Grasp (Core Set)
2x We Do Not Sow (Core Set)

1x Chamber of the Painted Table (Core Set)
2x Great Kraken (Core Set)
3x Sea Tower (Core Set)
1x The Iron Throne (Core Set)
3x The Kingsroad (Core Set)
3x The Roseroad (Core Set)

MisterShine
Feb 21, 2006

What is the Terminal condition in AGoT?

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

MisterShine posted:

What is the Terminal condition in AGoT?

Terminal is on some attachments, which says that they are discarded instead of returned to hand when he attached card leaves play.

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013
I loved playing Lannister in the first edition, so I threw together a quick two Core Lannister/Tyrell deck, though I haven't yet played the new game.

Deck Created with CardGameDB.com A Game of Thrones 2nd Edition Deckbuilder

Total Cards: (60)

Faction:
Lannister

1x Banner of the Rose (Core Set)

1x A Game of Thrones (Core Set)
1x A Noble Cause (Core Set)
1x Building Orders (Core Set)
1x Filthy Accusations (Core Set)
2x Heads on Spikes (Core Set)
1x Sneak Attack (Core Set)

Character: (35)
2x Cersei Lannister (Core Set)
2x Courtesan of the Rose (Core Set)
2x Gold Cloaks (Core Set)
2x Grand Maester Pycelle (Core Set)
2x Joffrey Baratheon (Core Set)
2x Lannisport Merchant (Core Set)
2x Lannisport Moneylender (Core Set)
2x Left (Core Set)
2x Maester Lomys (Core Set)
2x Margaery Tyrell (Core Set)
2x Right (Core Set)
2x Ser Jaime Lannister (Core Set)
2x The Knight of Flowers (Core Set)
2x The Queen’s Assassin (Core Set)
2x Tyrion Lannister (Core Set)
2x Tywin Lannister (Core Set)
3x Rattleshirt’s Raiders (Core Set)

Attachment: (6)
2x Bodyguard (Core Set)
2x Seal of the Hand (Core Set)
2x Widow’s Wail (Core Set)

Event: (6)
2x Hear Me Roar! (Core Set)
2x Tears of Lys (Core Set)
2x Treachery (Core Set)

2x Casterly Rock (Core Set)
2x Lannisport (Core Set)
3x The Kingsroad (Core Set)
3x The Roseroad (Core Set)
3x Western Fiefdom (Core Set)

I'm usually not that fond of mono-icon characters, but these guys seem to have useful abilities. Right and Left also amuse me greatly. Still, I might have gone too far in the icon balancing, as I don't have the Intrigue focus that I probably should. I'd also like to find some room for The Things I Do For Love, The Hand's Judgement. Littlefinger or Varys would also be cool, but I think I have enough of the more expensive characters. I'll have to play with the character mix once I can actually sit down and play some games.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

I put together a Lannister/Tyrell deck as well, focused a little more on dominating Intrigue/Power challenges with chances at multiple challenges.

Faction:
Lannister

1x Banner of the Rose (Core Set)

1x A Clash of Kings (Core Set)
1x A Game of Thrones (Core Set)
1x A Noble Cause (Core Set)
1x Heads on Spikes (Core Set)
1x Taxation (Core Set)
1x Confiscation (Core Set)
1x Wildfire Assault (Core Set)

Character: (33)
3x Cersei Lannister (Core Set)
2x Grand Maester Pycelle (Core Set)
3x Littlefinger (Core Set)
3x Rattleshirt’s Raiders (Core Set)
2x Ser Jaime Lannister (Core Set)
2x The Queen’s Assassin (Core Set)
2x Tywin Lannister (Core Set)
2x Tyrion Lannister (Core Set)
3x Gold Cloaks (Core Set)
2x Left (Core Set)
3x Maester Lomys (Core Set)
2x Olenna’s Informant (Core Set)
2x Margaery Tyrell (Core Set)
2x Right (Core Set)

Attachment: (3)
3x Milk of the Poppy (Core Set)

Event: (12)
3x Hear Me Roar! (Core Set)
2x Tears of Lys (Core Set)
2x The Hand’s Judgment (Core Set)
2x Treachery (Core Set)
3x “The Bear and the Maiden Fair” (Core Set)

2x Casterly Rock (Core Set)
2x Lannisport (Core Set)
2x The Roseroad (Core Set)

It's only 54 cards, i'll take suggestions.

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013

TheHoosier posted:

I put together a Lannister/Tyrell deck as well, focused a little more on dominating Intrigue/Power challenges with chances at multiple challenges.

It's only 54 cards, i'll take suggestions.

More economy cards. Western Fiefdom/Lannisport Moneylender/The Kingsroad.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Taran_Wanderer posted:

More economy cards. Western Fiefdom/Lannisport Moneylender/The Kingsroad.

I had Moneylender and booted him out, i'll stick it back in. I gave some thought to Fiefdom as well. Thank you!

Looks like we run similar decks. I don't run Joffrey/Widow's Wail, Courtesan, SotH, and Knight of the Flower. I definitely see where they fit in though. I may dump Bear and Maiden Fair to include Joffrey for more Military. A zero-cost deck mill where I get to choose sounds pretty useful.

TheHoosier fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Aug 8, 2015

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Played my first game of Game of Thrones, using a Targaryen Fealty deck vs. my friend's Martell/Tyrell deck. I won it 15-0 and he had at most 1 power the entire game. He had three dudes out by the end of turn 1, I militaried one away, Dracarys'ed the other, and then on turn 2 I marched the last to the wall. He never got tempo again after that, since all he had left were big characters that I overpowered with a growing military and thus kept killing, so I kept unopposing him on challenges. I get the feeling I didn't get a really representative feel for the game, but it was nonetheless really satisfying to sweep a deck.

Playing the deck made me kinda want to do Targaryen/Lannister just to bring in Tyrion, since that 2 coin/Intrigue challenge goes super well with the otherwise super expensive but super good Illyrio, along with events like Dracarys or Hand's Judgments. Holding back 2 coin is surprisingly really difficult. Joffrey would probably get a lot of power in a Targaryen deck too, and Jaime is always welcome. I still don't know if I have a good grasp on proper deck ratios as far as cost distribution, due to the really weird economy in the game. I get the feeling one should be really wary of throwing out 5+ cost dudes on turn 1-2, but that may be specific against the dedicated kill decks like Targaryen, Stark and Greyjoy.

Still, was a fun game, but biased because wow did I dominate the hell out of him.

MisterShine
Feb 21, 2006

Is there any reason not to include 3 milk of the poppy cards in every deck? They seem way too useful

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

MisterShine posted:

Is there any reason not to include 3 milk of the poppy cards in every deck? They seem way too useful

I didn't add 3 in my Targaryen deck since the plan is to kill everyone.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Here's another Conquest preview for a pack we won't get for a while because wow, what the hell is going on with the Tyranids: https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2015/8/11/what-lurks-below/

That Tyranid warlord is pretty legit scary since Ambush is one of the most powerful keywords in the game. Also that Skrap Nabba owns.

MisterShine
Feb 21, 2006

Didnt we see scrap nabba in the preview for the first pack? I really hope he hasnt been pushed to the fourth.

Also my local meta is already calling that warlord the broodlord because gently caress you, Im not calling it omega-bunchanumbers

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

MisterShine posted:

Didnt we see scrap nabba in the preview for the first pack? I really hope he hasnt been pushed to the fourth.

He was part of the set fan, so he'll be in the fourth. See you in 2016, Skrap Nabba.

Fetterkey
May 5, 2013

Even without the events of forty years ago, I think man would still be a creature that fears the dark.

MisterShine posted:

Also my local meta is already calling that warlord the broodlord because gently caress you, Im not calling it omega-bunchanumbers

People are calling him "Subject Omega" around here. As for Skrap Nabba, I believe he was first shown in a general "here are things from this cycle" fan and will indeed come out in the fourth pack.

Fetterkey fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Aug 12, 2015

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Joel Eddy review of VS up https://www.boardgamegeek.com/video/75922/vs-system-2pcg/drivethrureview-408-we-have-technology-we-can-rebu

Upper Deck, shmupper deck, I don't care, I'm going to YOLO the heck out of this even if it's only for nostalgia.

Not so sure I'm interested in Marvel vs Aliens vs Predator next year, though

E: that's pretty cool that the core comes with 4 of each card.

fozzy fosbourne fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Aug 13, 2015

Fetterkey
May 5, 2013

Even without the events of forty years ago, I think man would still be a creature that fears the dark.
Looks like The Great Devourer just went live on Amazon. "Two weeks after GenCon" was real after all!

EDIT: And now it's gone again.

Fetterkey fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Aug 15, 2015

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Are there neutral staples in AGoT 2e that are 1 of in the core set? Wondering if you need 6 core sets/proxies to make 2 different faction net decks

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Are there neutral staples in AGoT 2e that are 1 of in the core set? Wondering if you need 6 core sets/proxies to make 2 different faction net decks

There's a list here: https://boardgamegeek.com/blogpost/41894/game-thrones-second-edition-lcg-spoilers

I have no idea what would constitute a staple at this point, but 1x Hand's Judgment is probably the biggest one I can see.

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Tears of Lys is probably the biggest one, as it's targeted removal with a relatively easy condition to meet. As the card pool expands, it may fall out of favor in certain decks, but I think it will still be fairly common in a number of decks for a good while. Given how important Lord and Lady characters are right now, Bodyguard is probably also really important. Still, nothing that can't be made up for in other ways.

Fetterkey
May 5, 2013

fozzy fosbourne posted:

The big staples in my experience are Roseroad, Kingsroad, Milk of the Poppy, and Littlefinger - all decks that I've made thus far have 3x of the first 3 and 1-2x Littlefinger. I think a core set comes with multiple copies of those, though I don't remember how many of each neutral is in the core. I know each core has 4 copies of Rose/Kingsroad but I'm less certain for the others.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Fetterkey posted:

The big staples in my experience are Roseroad, Kingsroad, Milk of the Poppy, and Littlefinger - all decks that I've made thus far have 3x of the first 3 and 1-2x Littlefinger. I think a core set comes with multiple copies of those, though I don't remember how many of each neutral is in the core. I know each core has 4 copies of Rose/Kingsroad but I'm less certain for the others.

Per the link above, 2x Milks, 2x Littlefingers per core.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Yeah, it looks like the only cards mentioned that are singles are Tears of Lys and Hand's Judgement.

nyxnyxnyx
Jun 24, 2013
Tears of Lys and Hand's Judgment aren't in every deck though, so I think FFG absolutely got the numbers right in the core set, with Milk and Littlefinger at 2x.

Fetterkey
May 5, 2013

Yeah, Tears only really makes sense in decks with lots of Intrigue (and even then I don't really like it, it basically does nothing in some matchups), and some decks need Hand's Judgment more than others.

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
Hey so I think I might take the plunge to Get the LoTr ccg and I had a few questions

Do I need 2 decks to get a full set of starter cards?
Ie is there a card I want 2 chipsw of but starter only has 1?

Is it possible to play as mainly dwarves? Those guys are my favorite

Last any must have expansions starting out?

mongol
Oct 11, 2005

Ronald Reagan? The actor!?

Tiny Chalupa posted:

Hey so I think I might take the plunge to Get the LoTr ccg and I had a few questions

Ok. Let me try to respond.

For a full set, you need three core sets, but there's only about 13 cards that you need that third set for, so I recommend only getting one, then getting a second if you really love it.

It is totally possible to play Dwarf decks, and for a while, they were the dominate archetype. If you want to play Dwarves, get these expansions first:
* Return to Mirkwood Adventure Pack
* The Hobbit: Over Hill and Under Hill Saga Expansion
* The Hobbit: On the Doorstep Saga Expansion

There are other great expansions, but those will give you a good start on Dwarves. For a great purchasing guide, check out my buddy Ian's blog: https://talesfromthecards.wordpress.com/2013/09/13/new-player-buying-guide/

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Tiny Chalupa posted:

You can have triples of non-hero cards, and a max of 3 heroes in each deck.
http://spontaneousderivation.com/2011/05/06/original-decklists-for-lord-of-the-rings-lcg/
That link has the core set card lists. Note that some of the cards have only one copy, but really, you don't need to buy a second (or third!) core set unless you're getting crazy into the tournament scene
I've played 5-6 games so far and haven't felt let down by my single copy of a core set. The core set encounters are designed to challenge you with the core decks.
The best argument for getting a second core set is the Gandalfs, because that's a card that you are really always going to want 3 copies of (and 4 total come in the Core set, so if you're playing with 2 everyone will want 3 Gandalfs each.)
If it's me and my money, I'm spending my gaming dollars on a bunch of expansions and new cards before buying copies of the old ones.The good news is that all the Adventure Packs have triples of all the player cards, so you'll never need to buy doubles of those.

To answer your last two questions, this appears to be a pretty good resource for rating the expansions and helping you choose what to buy.
https://talesfromthecards.wordpress.com/2013/09/13/new-player-buying-guide/
You can use the detail there to build up a dwarf deck. If you're building a dwarf deck, you will probably want the expansion that has Dain Ironfoot in it. He's the cornerstone of dwarf decks (giving ALL dwarf characters on the board +1 ATK and +1 WILL when he's readied)

e:f;b.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
There are also some cheap parted out Core Set auctions on eBay where you can top off some of the less-than-3 cards with out paying the full price of an extra Core and without then owning doubles of all the Sauron enemy cards that you won't ever need.

1 extra of the 2-ofs to make a playset, $8
1 extra of 1-ofs, $20

That was how I made it so I had 3 of everything and no extra stuff.

Uhhlive
Jun 18, 2004

I'm not the public.
I'm the President
Steward of Gondor goes in pretty much every Leadership deck and it is only a 2-of in the core set. I would get two core sets only if you are consistently playing with 4 people otherwise buy more expansions and adventure packs.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Wow, lot of GOT LCG stuff in BGW's sale
http://boardgamewarehouse.com/deals-and-specials/deal-of-the-day.html?limit=all

mongol
Oct 11, 2005

That's because the 2nd edition came out at Gen Con.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Shout out to The Redhorn Gate for milling over all the Victory Point cards before stage 3 so that I was only at 4 points after passing Caradhras and had to cycle through the entire Encounter deck and get a reshuffle before I could win. Luckily I was able to use West Road Traveller to double trigger The Dimrill Stair so my Threat was only at like 8 when I found myself in that predicament. In the end it took me 39 turns to clear. Fun quest though, even if I had to take Spirit Arwen out of the deck because the quest gave you the objective/ally one.

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012

mongol posted:

Ok. Let me try to respond.

For a full set, you need three core sets, but there's only about 13 cards that you need that third set for, so I recommend only getting one, then getting a second if you really love it.

It is totally possible to play Dwarf decks, and for a while, they were the dominate archetype. If you want to play Dwarves, get these expansions first:
* Return to Mirkwood Adventure Pack
* The Hobbit: Over Hill and Under Hill Saga Expansion
* The Hobbit: On the Doorstep Saga Expansion

There are other great expansions, but those will give you a good start on Dwarves. For a great purchasing guide, check out my buddy Ian's blog: https://talesfromthecards.wordpress.com/2013/09/13/new-player-buying-guide/
Bad rear end thank you so much for the response. Your buddies site is fantastic and incredibly insightful. I've been reading through his different decks as well as his feelings on the expansions.

canyoneer posted:

You can have triples of non-hero cards, and a max of 3 heroes in each deck.
http://spontaneousderivation.com/2011/05/06/original-decklists-for-lord-of-the-rings-lcg/
That link has the core set card lists. Note that some of the cards have only one copy, but really, you don't need to buy a second (or third!) core set unless you're getting crazy into the tournament scene
I've played 5-6 games so far and haven't felt let down by my single copy of a core set. The core set encounters are designed to challenge you with the core decks.
The best argument for getting a second core set is the Gandalfs, because that's a card that you are really always going to want 3 copies of (and 4 total come in the Core set, so if you're playing with 2 everyone will want 3 Gandalfs each.)
If it's me and my money, I'm spending my gaming dollars on a bunch of expansions and new cards before buying copies of the old ones.The good news is that all the Adventure Packs have triples of all the player cards, so you'll never need to buy doubles of those.
Great to know about the ebay....that didn't even occur to me.

This game seems really really interesting. Miniaturemarket seems to have pretty good prices right now so I"ll at least grab the starter + a few others
Sadly Return to Mirkwood is currently out of stock
So starter + Khazad Dum + The watcher in the water

Is that a good starting point for dwarves and/or the game in general?

mongol
Oct 11, 2005

Tiny Chalupa posted:

Bad rear end thank you so much for the response. Your buddies site is fantastic and incredibly insightful. I've been reading through his different decks as well as his feelings on the expansions.

Once you've exhausted his, check out my blog, which is admittedly not as good, but features more videos of gameplay!

http://mirkwoodrunner.blogspot.com/

MisterShine
Feb 21, 2006

FFG continues to impress with faction plays similar to tabletop with Tyranids being swarms with upgradable big bugs you can get way too carried away with

Now to wait for the next cycle for loving Gorzod

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
I got terrible luck. 1 out of 4 lgs have even the starter. I've seen 2 nightmare decks and that's is it for lord of the rings
Yeah I can go online but there is no local support
Same thing with conquest. I got 2 starters plus expansion but no lgs support.

My options seem to be star wars miniature whatever, star wars armada, warmachine hordes, magic and\or Legend of the 5 rings

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-

Boco_T posted:

Shout out to The Redhorn Gate for milling over all the Victory Point cards before stage 3 so that I was only at 4 points after passing Caradhras and had to cycle through the entire Encounter deck and get a reshuffle before I could win. Luckily I was able to use West Road Traveller to double trigger The Dimrill Stair so my Threat was only at like 8 when I found myself in that predicament. In the end it took me 39 turns to clear. Fun quest though, even if I had to take Spirit Arwen out of the deck because the quest gave you the objective/ally one.

We did the same thing. Ended up dropping down to single digit threat for both players thanks to recycling Galadrims Greetings, and by the time we finished I had I think 15+ cost 4 or 5 unqiue allies in play, thanks to Imaldris Stargazer+Eldrond+Vilya. I think I quested for 40+ the final round.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Tiny Chalupa posted:

I got terrible luck. 1 out of 4 lgs have even the starter. I've seen 2 nightmare decks and that's is it for lord of the rings
Yeah I can go online but there is no local support
Same thing with conquest. I got 2 starters plus expansion but no lgs support.

My options seem to be star wars miniature whatever, star wars armada, warmachine hordes, magic and\or Legend of the 5 rings

You could always start the local support. Get your LGS to put you on the weekly schedule and start showing up/doing demos/posting on FB about it.