Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nuramor
Dec 13, 2012

Most Amewsing Prinny Ever!
Welp, can't transfer users. At least I was only up to tier 3, so I'm not leaving much behind. Switched servers and applied to SEAMN as Nuramor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Night10194 posted:

One thing to try is, remember how CAs will dodge your shots in a BB? How they suddenly change direction and can change speed fast? Do the things CAs do that most annoy you when you're in a BB and you will find joy.

I got three kills last night with a busted rudder just by moving forward and backward at the right moment, dodging two volleys of torpedoes in the process while 'steering' hostiles with my own torp volleys. If I could play like that all the time, I'd have an amazing KD ratio :v:

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Also seriously where the gently caress is the citadel on a Cleveland. It's not in the center near the waterline like it usually is, from what I can tell. Either that, or they have way better armor than I thought they did. I should just aim for the turret magazines, I think.

Everything about the Cleveland seems designed to anger me and I can't wait to get one.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Night10194 posted:

Also seriously where the gently caress is the citadel on a Cleveland. It's not in the center near the waterline like it usually is, from what I can tell. Either that, or they have way better armor than I thought they did. I should just aim for the turret magazines, I think.

Everything about the Cleveland seems designed to anger me and I can't wait to get one.

Here's a nice, handy cutaway of the Cleveland:

See those two structures the smokestacks lead to? Those are your citadel hit boxes. The Cleveland doesn't have a nice big citadel directly below them like most ships, but rather has two smaller ones that are slightly offset. I think they're lower in the hull as well than most ships, but I won't swear to that. Yes, they're a pain to hit.

edit: It feels so satisfying when you do hit them though. Had a basically full health Cleveland get stuck on an island broadside to me in a Fuso earlier. One volley later, there was no more Cleveland.

Lord Koth fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Aug 18, 2015

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up

Night10194 posted:

One thing to try is, remember how CAs will dodge your shots in a BB? How they suddenly change direction and can change speed fast? Do the things CAs do that most annoy you when you're in a BB and you will find joy.

Like fire at me 4 times for every time I fire and speaking of fire, light me on loving fire every salvo??!! Raaaaaaaage!

Kesper North posted:

Is the Lexington bad? What's wrong with it? Is it just that it always gets shat on by IX-X boats?

I like the Lex, it's nice FINALLY having 2 fighters and torp bombers at the same time. I don't really have any major issues with it other than 179,000 XP is a long rear end grind and playing CVs can get monotonous seeing as how it's like a really boring RTS at times. Just looking for a change of pace and also because I want to pay back all the a-holes who Clevelanded me over the last month...

vvvvvvvvvvvvv please tell me you're trolling, I never read the WOWS forums vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

Dark Helmut fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Aug 18, 2015

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

causticBeet posted:

I hope they fix the carrier imbalance in matchmaking. It's kinda ridiculous and almost a guaranteed loss when you have a carrier disadvantage, especially at lower tiers where you don't have much aa, so unless the other team is extraordinarily bad, you can expect to be harassed freely by torps all game long.

Next patch is adding +30 planes to all carriers so you're not going to have to worry about throwing away your poo poo in suicidal rushes anymore...

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.

Night10194 posted:

The citadels should be in front of the front stack and under/behind the rear stack. It's split in two, so there isn't a citadel in the middle. Their armor isn't super thick (127mm on the citadels), but still twice as thick as the Omaha's. The citadel's just pretty small.
This got posted earlier in the thread, the citadels are around 70 and 100 on the diagram

Clevelands are great. My first match in one I killed 3 guys and almost killed two more, the enemy Cleveland was also new and both of us were in the top two on our teams. Its shells are a bit floatier than earlier cruisers, but it isn't too hard to adjust.

efb

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

Artless Meat posted:

The Minekaze is fun and good

The Mutsuki is not, even when the matchmaking isn't throwing it into games full of tier VIII and IX ships. :ramsay:

Honestly thinking about dumping this game for War Thunder, even though botes interest me more.

Seekhay
Sep 11, 2001

College Slice

Nuramor posted:

Welp, can't transfer users. At least I was only up to tier 3, so I'm not leaving much behind. Switched servers and applied to SEAMN as Nuramor.

Welcome aboard thailor!

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

Dark Helmut posted:

I'm horrible with the Omaha and I just want to get through it to the Cleaver. Help me UNDERSTAND!

The greatest thing to remember about the Omaha is that a full broadside is only 2 more shells than being frontal or back. 6 vs 8. As such there's no real reason to ever show your sides to the enemy ships. Also, the B hull is likely the better choice to the C. You're not going to be shooting down poo poo with that anemic AA anyway and losing a gun and half your torps isn't really worth it. This will hold true even when the patch hits as a little extra range also won't make up for it.

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

Blinks77 posted:

The greatest thing to remember about the Omaha is that a full broadside is only 2 more shells than being frontal or back. 6 vs 8. As such there's no real reason to ever show your sides to the enemy ships. Also, the B hull is likely the better choice to the C. You're not going to be shooting down poo poo with that anemic AA anyway and losing a gun and half your torps isn't really worth it. This will hold true even when the patch hits as a little extra range also won't make up for it.

This doesn't really add up because the guns you lose are on the back so you have to show most of your side to fire them anyway. The torps that are left have better angles as well so again you don't have to turn as much to fire them. The AA you get is decent enough for lower tiers, it's short ranged so you won't shoot any planes down before they start their run but you do shoot plenty of lower tier ones down once they get in range, so you stop them doing a fake run to commit you into a turn at least.

evil_cheese
Sep 11, 2002
I AM A LIAR
One thing about the omaha that's pretty bad is it seem to get citadelled pretty easy compared to earlier cruisers, so dancing and not showing your broadside unless you KNOW it's not going to get hit are the only things going to keep you alive vs battle ships. I love the omaha, it is by far my best ship, but i've also been one shot by BB before from full health. Omaha is more fragile then it first appears to AP rounds, you have play sort of cautiously if you think there is a BB around.

Invader Mat
Aug 16, 2012
Applied again as invadermatt.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"
Welp gently caress this game until battleship dispersion is better or some other game modes are out there with less players or something so I can actually think my actions change the match outcome without playing a carrier. It's saying a lot that Mechwarrior is better balanced and more fun to play still.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

Washout posted:

Welp gently caress this game until battleship dispersion is better or some other game modes are out there with less players or something so I can actually think my actions change the match outcome without playing a carrier. It's saying a lot that Mechwarrior is better balanced and more fun to play still.

It really is bad in high tiers compared to laser rail gun cruisers firing HE rounds every 5 seconds from long range and having base damage for every hit, then starting fires which do even more damage. Meanwhile BB rounds have to worry about ridiculous at times dispersion, bow angles so you dont bounce, or spalling when you do hit.

RescueFreak
Sep 8, 2013

Applied as rescuefreak.

JacksLibido
Jul 21, 2004

Dark Helmut posted:

I'm horrible with the Omaha and I just want to get through it to the Cleaver. Help me UNDERSTAND!

I love the omaha and Murmansk, I loving hate the cleveland.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
All applicants approved.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Washout posted:

Now now, let's not say things we can't take back.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
Ahhh MWO..I am still upset I dropped all that money on a founders only to get dicked with lovely mechs.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

demonR6 posted:

Ahhh MWO..I am still upset I dropped all that money on a founders only to get dicked with lovely mechs.

I feel your shamepain.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
It's okay, I really didn't pay for it anyways.

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.
You can lead a pubbie to water but you can't drown the little bastards like they deserve...

Match started off decently enough, and I asked who wanted AA support. Decided to pair up with a New Mexico and he just hung back near our cap. Deciding he wasn't going to do jack poo poo I decided to go support the carriers, since they were about to get pummeled. One carrier took a bomb hit and torp and basically told us we were going to lose now, but by then I was in position and just patrolled back and forth and creamed every air strike that came in. I think 2 more flights got a torp or two off, but only one of the BBs took a torp because he was an idiot.

34 planes later I then proceeded to sink a DD and CA near our cap before finally going down in flames. I admit the match was nicely chaotic and an ADHD dream, but as you can see my team was unable to accomplish the simple task of getting into their undefended cap with a couple cruisers and a DD because they were busy off hunting the remaining carrier that was completely out of planes. Almost wish I had a cruise missile to lob at them for such blatant stupidity.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

I hate this game sometimes. Either top scorer or in the top 3 in all of those. :smithicide:

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

El Disco posted:

I hate this game sometimes. Either top scorer or in the top 3 in all of those. :smithicide:

That's a lotta the worst map in the game, too.

gently caress Two Brothers.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

Two Brothers is a good map. Probably my favorite at the moment.

EDIT: Whats this? Dispersion RNG not loving me over for once? Whats this witchcraft?

Is my team going to lose? Of course it is.

Pubbies... 10,000 xp to go till Iowa.

DurosKlav fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Aug 19, 2015

UV_Catastrophe
Dec 29, 2008

Of all the words of mice and men, the saddest are,

"It might have been."
Pillbug
Similar to how WoT progressed, I think this game has a lot of room to get better over time with the addition of new ships/nations/maps and some balance tweaks. Hopefully they don't drag their feet on adding new content.

Speaking of which, does anyone know when the next patch is supposed to drop?

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

Just showed pubbies what happens if they follow my North Carolina in when I charge. I take nearly 100 rounds from the entire enemy team in their base while the Atlanta and Cleveland that followed behind me took out 7 of their ships. Meanwhile the other friendly flank was just running away. Well done HANKxTHExTANK and MKV.

FOLLOW ME AND I SHALL LEAD YOU TO THE PROMISED LAND!

DurosKlav fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Aug 19, 2015

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
Weird, I can't apply for SEAMN because I'm in still in a tanks clan, I guess they haven't split WoWS stuff from tanks. Or I'm doing something wrong.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.

UV_Catastrophe posted:

Similar to how WoT progressed, I think this game has a lot of room to get better over time with the addition of new ships/nations/maps and some balance tweaks. Hopefully they don't drag their feet on adding new content.

Speaking of which, does anyone know when the next patch is supposed to drop?
My guess is the patch will probably be Thursday if we are lucky or sometime next week. I don't think they have a standard "patch day" like Tuesday is for some games.

And yeah, I think the game has a lot of potential despite its flaws. The carrier MM stuff in the patch should be a huge help. I hope the new maps reflect lessons learned from some of the bad maps like Two Brothers and Fault Line. Did anyone see the new maps on the test server? I have not read the official forum reaction to them, and I would not trust their reaction anyway.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

So I just unlocked the Iowa. Then I proceeded to sell my North Carolina, yay 21 million credits thats enough for the Iowa, the captain retraining and the modules. Oh wait I just accidently rebought the North Carolina.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Applied to SEAMN, IGN Scotch.

Seekhay
Sep 11, 2001

College Slice

El Scotch posted:

Applied to SEAMN, IGN Scotch.

Welcome thailor! :sissies:

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD
Ugh, grinding up the Bogue is awful. At least, for xp. The tears of hostile CVs, so delicious. I could get used to this. Got my first Clear Sky medal.
Can't wait until the MM is fixed and I don't get into any awkward matches where I'm double fighter and theres no enemy CV. At least I get some practice with dive bombers. I'm pretty sure any hits from a DB I see in high tier matches are 100% luck, because I can only really get manual drops on stationary targets, or BB/CVs.

Also, got my Kagero. Time to spend tomorrow retraining the captain, though.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

DurosKlav posted:

So I just unlocked the Iowa. Then I proceeded to sell my North Carolina, yay 21 million credits thats enough for the Iowa, the captain retraining and the modules. Oh wait I just accidently rebought the North Carolina.
Yikes, sorry mate. Brutal.

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up
Applied to SEAMN - LeVarBurton

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD
Also, man, the Iowa needs to get its rear end fixed. Doing literally no damage to its superstructure because of a bug is a little silly.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.
Just hanging out in the Fuso, doing Fuso things.

162k damage ain't bad for tier 6 - got High Caliber like 6 minutes into the game lol. Started the game off by crushing the New Mexico with a 2 citadel, 26k damage volley, then had back to back citadel volleys on the Warspite. Just one of those games where you have that perfect volley on the flat side of a BB and get no Citadel RNG love, but still do 11k with just straight up AP penetration damage. Glad I didn't sell this thing - the New Mexico is clearly a beast, but I love me some Fuso.

Sneaky Kettle
Jul 4, 2010
Applied to SEAMN again as SneakyKettle.

The secret to the Omaha is definitely to switch to AP if it looks like you can get a hit on their midsection. Cleves can rain fire, Aobas can citadel, the Omaha can do both.

To wit, from this evening:

Replay link.

Also: Previously.

It can pen almost everything it comes up against and do catastrophic damage to Furutakas, Phoenixes, Murmansks, Kumas, Aobas, even Pensacolas, any cruiser basically. St. Louis, sit at 11km and rain HE on it. Everything else, rain HE on it. It reloads quickly, so don't be afraid to switch back and forth if you're not sure if you can get an AP hit on it. The rounds are bouncy if it's anything up to 30 degrees off perpendicular, so if it's pointed mostly towards or away, just err on the side of HE, you'll still do lots of damage. Use the range and don't be afraid to fall back if you come up against a tough target.

The Omaha has a very narrow cross-section from front or back, and it can still do almost all its nominal damage pointing straight on to a target. Against the BBs it comes up against, nothing short of a lucky citadel pen through the bow will kill you, dispersion will make most battleship rounds miss you. If you're getting too close or far away, wait for him to fire and then turn; it can do a complete 180 in the time it takes for any battleship guns to reload.

Your biggest problems in an Omaha are Murmansks, other Omahas, and Cleves. Omaha and Murmansk are problematic because they're just as deadly for all the above reasons. Clevelands are tricky, it's tough to pen their citadels with how low to the waterline they are. I almost never pen Cleve citadels. Here's another match from four days ago where I went up against two Cleves and won by playing hide and seek and salvoing HE. The best bet with Cleves is to either ambush it with torpedos, out-turn it from point blank range and salvo it with HE (it will only be able to get two of its guns on you as opposed to all four) or dance at maximum range and avoid the floaty shells; in the time it takes a Cleveland salvo to arrive, you can pull a 90 degree turn easily. Whatever you do, don't show your side to anything, that'll get you killed pronto.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

Oh man, I played a game in the Iowa while waiting to see if they refund me the credits after placing a ticket for it. I've been using fully moduled BBs from the start the last 4 tiers or so and I forgot how bad their turning is without the turning module.

Oh New Mexico I cant quit you. Of those 9 hits on the Kongo 5 were citadels. He really did not have a good time.

DurosKlav fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Aug 19, 2015