Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
The veritas people have a new manwha out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Jose posted:

The veritas people have a new manwha out

What is it?

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

khy posted:

Naver webtoon is the most addicting goddamn thing.

No joke.

I finally got around to catching up on Noblesse, reading a ton of it all at once was so much fun and I hate having to go back to weekly updates now but I'm glad it's at least getting them again. I also started reading Catharsis, Winter Woods (Winter is so creepy lol), and both of the vampire girl romances; it's neat that they started out with such similar concepts but have done entirely different things with them. Also I was excited to see S.I.D. get added. I understand it already has 100+ chapters, got dropped, and recently picked back up or something? The art looks great and supernatural cop/detective being one of my favorite genres I considered reading the fan translation at one point but never bothered because it had been discontinued, so it's nice to be able to pick up with the official translation from the beginning.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
In Korean webtoon news, Naver webtoon My Boyfriend has been canceled due to controversy about the author plagiarizing the art and coloring style of Tan Jiu and Old Xian.

Link to a post on a Korean forum where someone posts side-by-side comparisons of My Boyfriend and works (Tamen De Gushi and 19 Days) of the two Chinese artists.
Link to the author's blog, where the author claims to have been initially just taking inspiration / reference from said Chinese artists.
Link to the author's announcement / apology on Naver.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

im going to be honest, i don't really see it

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
It does look pretty derivative, but seems kinda harsh to cancel the whole thing. I was reading it and it was cute. :(

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yeah, I was fairly fond of the series as well. It was cute and simple and relaxing.

For comparison, this is what the author's artstyle was like at the end of 2013.

The last chapter of ENT, the author's previous work.

This is what the author's artstyle was like in 2014.

The author's contribution to the Naver What If series. Naver does this every year, though the only one to have been translated into English is the first one, the Vault of Horrors, which was during 2011. Which is a shame, cause while I've only read the 2011 and 2013 series (both dealing with horror / ghost stories), there are plenty of really good one-shots. Though the 2013 series was hampered by the fact that so many authors chose to delve into the same subjects.

Either way, the artstyle seems a ton more shoujou-ish, though as the one-shot shows, the author is capable of doing really creepy poo poo.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

That Works posted:

What is it?

The comic is by the artist of Veritas and a different writer, and it's called Action Idols: Age of Young Dragons. I'm fine with this because, apparently, it was the writer that was the problem with Veritas getting scrubbed.

As for The Breaker, the guys responsible for it are working on older projects for a while to keep from burning out. Consider they've been working on this comic now, more or less every couple of weeks, for the past ten goddamn years and you realize how much of their lives they've put into it. They've already said they will be coming back to it later, but for now they need some rest.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Gearhead posted:

The comic is by the artist of Veritas and a different writer, and it's called Action Idols: Age of Young Dragons. I'm fine with this because, apparently, it was the writer that was the problem with Veritas getting scrubbed.

As for The Breaker, the guys responsible for it are working on older projects for a while to keep from burning out. Consider they've been working on this comic now, more or less every couple of weeks, for the past ten goddamn years and you realize how much of their lives they've put into it. They've already said they will be coming back to it later, but for now they need some rest.

The writing in veritas was great, though. I liked how only terrible people (including the protagonist) succeeded, or even survived.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

In Korean webtoon news, Naver webtoon My Boyfriend has been canceled due to controversy about the author plagiarizing the art and coloring style of Tan Jiu and Old Xian.

Link to a post on a Korean forum where someone posts side-by-side comparisons of My Boyfriend and works (Tamen De Gushi and 19 Days) of the two Chinese artists.
Link to the author's blog, where the author claims to have been initially just taking inspiration / reference from said Chinese artists.
Link to the author's announcement / apology on Naver.

That's pretty bizarre; it just seems like he's using a lot of positions that people would naturally be in. It's not like the other author/artist patented "sitting on your bed" or "slamming your forehead into someone else's forehead."

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Serious Frolicking posted:

The writing in veritas was great, though. I liked how only terrible people (including the protagonist) succeeded, or even survived.

The writer was, however, apparently extremely hard to get along with and tended to fight with everyone.

As for the comic itself and its plot, it was kinda refreshing to have the main character being an unapologetic rear end in a top hat.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Ytlaya posted:

That's pretty bizarre; it just seems like he's using a lot of positions that people would naturally be in. It's not like the other author/artist patented "sitting on your bed" or "slamming your forehead into someone else's forehead."

I do think the art style is very similar to that of Tan Jiu. Haven't really seen too much of Old Xian, so I can't really compare with his style. And it's not just a matter of using common positions, but drawing them with similar... posture? I dunno how to phrase it. Like, "person sitting on bed" and "person studying / taking test" are common enough positions, but that doesn't mean two characters taking tests in different comics will look the same.

The art just felt really familiar while I was reading My Boyfriend, and when I looked it up like a week or so back there were already accusations about it resembling a Chinese artist's style, the first thought that came to mind was Tamen De Gushi (also because Tamen De Gushi is the only Chinese comic I've read).

I mean, it's nothing compared to, say, Nick Simmons plagiarizing pretty much everything under the sun for his stupid comic, but it's clear that the art style changed a lot from the author's previous work. The way hair is drawn / colored, the eyes, skin tones, and even the blushing. I mean, sure, art styles can change (Truthism is a clear example when you compare the first and most recently translated chapter, and there's also the guy who did Oh My Goddess), but I feel like the change is far too drastic and coincidental to say that it's not plagiarism. And it's not like good artists aren't fallible. Yuki Suetsugu, the artist behind the goon-approved Chihayafuru, also had a work cancelled cause of plagiarism and tracing.

I'm sad that it's gone, cause I liked it, but I do think that the decision to cancel the series was right depending on how serious the plagiarism charges are.

I also feel like the Best Comments section also shows that plagiarism needs to be taken more seriously in Korea. The most upvoted comments are along the lines of "sure, it looks similar, but is that really worth cancelling the webtoon over?" It's not like My Boyfriend was a fancomic, the author was being paid by Naver to create a webtoon that took a lot from someone else's work.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
Is there a thread for Chinese manwhas? Specifically Combat Continent?

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Gothmog1065 posted:

Is there a thread for Chinese manwhas? Specifically Combat Continent?

Not really.

And you should really read the novel instead. The manwha made a lot of changes, most of which aren't all that great.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

Cynic Jester posted:

Not really.

And you should really read the novel instead. The manwha made a lot of changes, most of which aren't all that great.

Yeah, I'm going to have to get a hold of it. The manwha just went into hyper drive and doing time skips and poo poo with absolutely no explanation. Is it fully translated somewhere?

e: looks like blue silver translations is the one to go to.

Gothmog1065 fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Jul 23, 2015

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile

Gothmog1065 posted:

Yeah, I'm going to have to get a hold of it. The manwha just went into hyper drive and doing time skips and poo poo with absolutely no explanation. Is it fully translated somewhere?

e: looks like blue silver translations is the one to go to.

Yepp, it's not the worlds best translation but you get what you pay for.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I tried reading the cc manwha, but it was weirdly censored. Considering that the novel translation is now on SLAUGHTER CITY, THE CITY WHERE EVERYONE DRINKS BLOOD JUST TO SHOW HOW MUCH THEY LOVE TO MURDER, they probably had to heavily rewrite the story.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile

I tried reading the cc manwha, but it was weirdly censored. Considering that the novel translation is now on SLAUGHTER CITY, THE CITY WHERE EVERYONE DRINKS BLOOD JUST TO SHOW HOW MUCH THEY LOVE TO MURDER, they probably had to heavily rewrite the story.

There are so many tiny details that I couldn't possibly imagine offending anyone but still was rewritten in weird ways. Like the guy who has the power to make recovery food, but only sausages and constantly drops innuendos. Got changed from sausages to smelly tofu, still makes innuendo.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

Cynic Jester posted:

There are so many tiny details that I couldn't possibly imagine offending anyone but still was rewritten in weird ways. Like the guy who has the power to make recovery food, but only sausages and constantly drops innuendos. Got changed from sausages to smelly tofu, still makes innuendo.

I think the worst part is how much poo poo they drop after the tournament, it just kind of does a minor plot bit then moves on. Tang San getting stronger with Tang Wu, jumps to him getting the 10k year bone with minor explanation, jumps to Ashura's path with no explanation on his appearance change, his name change, nothing, then jumps to him going to the forest for Xiao Wu. That's what confused the gently caress out of me, I thought he might have an older brother or some poo poo until he was using the same abilities. The Novel has a lot more details, but I haven't gotten to Oscar yet, but all of the nuances they left out make poo poo a lot more clear, like why Tang San went poison.

However, it's still fairly enjoyable to me, it's nice to see something much faster paced than some of the other crap I read.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
CC is kind of nice in that the protagonist isn't a horrible monster. Plus, he can occasionally fight someone without them turning out to be a doublehitler.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

CC is kind of nice in that the protagonist isn't a horrible monster. Plus, he can occasionally fight someone without them turning out to be a doublehitler.

If you guys like CC there is also Battle Through The Heavens which is fairly similar and worth checking out.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

Lyon posted:

If you guys like CC there is also Battle Through The Heavens which is fairly similar and worth checking out.

I saw that, I'm probably going to pick that up, there's a lot of good stuff coming from China, Korea and Japan right now it seems.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile

Lyon posted:

It has a much better adaptation than CC as well. It still skims over a bunch of stuff, but nothing near the stuff CC skips.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Salty Studio:
I'm glad the stuff with Sonagi's sister is out in the open now and I'm ready for Toegun and Sonagi to just be a couple already, but I'm also glad he got pissed about what they were doing and said so because that was pretty hosed up.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

is magician still on a break or is nobody translating it?

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

Jose posted:

is magician still on a break or is nobody translating it?

A bunch of updates just got posted, but they are out of order and the numbering is screwed up. It looks like it jumps from #157 to #338, but those are consecutive chapters with nothing missing in between.

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Magician

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Those have been out for a while which is why I asked

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
It sucks they didn't do some sort of split thing on the Webtoons site and put the newest chapters up as they filled in the backlog. They're at least putting up 3 chapters/week but are still only at 117 so it's going to take forever to catch up.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

well there was a chapter updated just today here http://www.readmanga.today/magician

jwang
Mar 31, 2013
Has anyone read RPG? It's about lovely game design decisions, goony folks, and someone who just wants to chill in an MMO.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Some of the running jokes in Girls of the Wild's are absolutely hilarious. I love the gangster guy who gushes over the Pug (and also just randomly starts living at Hyeshin's house) and the scenes where Queen's brother is hanging out with Jaegu's kid siblings. It's also really funny when Queen is just standing there stoically, while her mind is filled with a bunch of shoujo tropes involving Jaegu.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

Ytlaya posted:

Some of the running jokes in Girls of the Wild's are absolutely hilarious. I love the gangster guy who gushes over the Pug (and also just randomly starts living at Hyeshin's house) and the scenes where Queen's brother is hanging out with Jaegu's kid siblings. It's also really funny when Queen is just standing there stoically, while her mind is filled with a bunch of shoujo tropes involving Jaegu.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Being charmed by Jaegu runs in Queen's family.

I also like how multiple characters (particulary Jaeoh and tall kungfu girl, who are cool dudes/dudettes) have called out Jaegu on being awful and leading on Daldal and not making his intentions known with Queen. Other people in the world of this comic are actually aware of the fact that the main character has that "protagonist is asexual and socially retarded with respect to girls/relationships" problem that seems to show up in so much romantic fiction. I do wish they'd go ahead and move forward with things, though; they've already planted the seeds of Daldal being interested in that college guy and it's obvious that there's going to be some "Daldal realizes that she wasn't really in love with Jaegu" moment in the future.

I think Moonyoung and that tall kungfu girl are my favorite characters. Moonyoung owns and Jaegu is a fool for ignoring her advances early in the series, though at least she seems happy with Gangrok.

edit: As a side note, Queen's brother is a douchebag for continuing to charge Jaegu rent. One of his random helicopter trips would probably be worth a year of Jaegu's rent. I'm generally not really fond of "rich people spending money in ridiculous ways" being treated as just some silly form of characterization, particularly when it's shown directly alongside a dude who is living in abject poverty. It's one thing if the setting is 100% joking/not serious, but this series has been pretty clear about the fact that Jaegu's life is awful and stressful due to his poverty. I also imagine the weird "families controlling huge conglomerates and passing on ownership to children via nepotism" thing is something that is considered more acceptable in Korea/East Asia for whatever reason.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Aug 26, 2015

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.
It is refreshing to see a harem mc actually get called on his bs.

But the story/fight arcs are a bit repetitve now. Queen is gonna get shop lady fired, shop lady is gonna get her boyfriend and friends to fight, and it'll be crazy fight scenes and then they'll all be friends. And maybe janitor lady's daughter will join the harem.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

Leper Residue posted:

And janitor lady will join the harem.

dipple
Oct 22, 2008

Ytlaya posted:

edit: As a side note, Queen's brother is a douchebag for continuing to charge Jaegu rent.

It's been awhile since I read it but isn't Jaegu pretty big on not accepting handouts.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
This week's Winter Woods is gorgeous. The dream sequence is worth looking at even if you aren't reading it.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
daldal owns.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

Inflammatory posted:

daldal owns.

like why is it even a question at this point? Hmm, the silent lady who barely says two words to me, or the one who is pretty much already my girlfriend? Decisions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
I just randomly happened across a manhwa called 4 Cut Hero which I find pretty hysterical. It probably falls under ecchi/harem but in a pretty nonsensical/silly way.