Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Plasbad
Oct 2, 2013
That's still pretty cool, and gives a good incentive to use the SMB1 style more often.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Sad news, Pikachu (and most likely other pokemons) don't have unique voice clips and sound clips, they use the mario ones:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vI5a82st48o

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrHSylEV5wE

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Why do the enemies look lower res than Mario, like they're copy pasted pre-renders

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Probably to prevent slowdown when a ton of enemies are on screen. The animations have less frames then in NSMBU too.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Hakkesshu posted:

Why do the enemies look lower res than Mario, like they're copy pasted pre-renders
If it's anything like NSMB on the DS, then the enemies are pre-rendered sprites to keep the framerate up while Mario's a 3D model. I wouldn't be surprised if the enemies are lower-res than they'd normally be under the expectations that lots more enemies would be on screen than in a normal Mario game.

Also, all their animations are in sync with each other.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Ah yeah, makes sense if you can basically fill the screen with enemies, it's probably a necessity

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Color Printer posted:

They're SMB1 only. SMB3 gets the Racoon Suit,

Wait, SMB3 only gets the Raccoon Suit? No frog suit and, more importantly, no tanooki suit?

:mad: preorder cancelled :mad:

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Kill all embargos

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Aug 18, 2015

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
So what exactly is it about Pokemon that keeps Pokemon stuff out of Nintendo games? I would have thought Nintendo had some rights to that property.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Bean posted:

So what exactly is it about Pokemon that keeps Pokemon stuff out of Nintendo games? I would have thought Nintendo had some rights to that property.

The Pokemon Company isn't directly owned by Nintendo. Nintendo has exclusive publishing rights though.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

:siren: IMPORTANT :siren:

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Ometeotl posted:

owns

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

In case you were wondering about whether or not Mario Maker respects your powers over time and space, I found an answer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CszEpvTb5BM&t=239s

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Color Printer posted:

GameXplain video showing off 10 Mario Challenge:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPYADlBVghQ
Are these challenge modes using a random assortment of user generated levels, or are they just how you access the Nintendo made levels?

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

J-Spot posted:

Are these challenge modes using a random assortment of user generated levels, or are they just how you access the Nintendo made levels?

I think 10 Mario Challenge uses the Nintendo-made levels (and unlocks them) and 100 Mario Challenge uses online.

Also more amiibos!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9DZCDDo7CY

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Man, the lack of sloped ground seems like a really bad oversight...Mario 3 had slopes in the second level; its not uncommon.

Sex Tragedy
Jan 28, 2007

father of three with an extra large butt

Color Printer posted:

I think 10 Mario Challenge uses the Nintendo-made levels (and unlocks them) and 100 Mario Challenge uses online.

Also more amiibos!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9DZCDDo7CY

At 2:25 things get hosed up

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Shulk only speaks in his boring generic Japanese voice gently caress this

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

jivjov posted:

Man, the lack of sloped ground seems like a really bad oversight...Mario 3 had slopes in the second level; its not uncommon.
This and the lack of more than a screen's worth of vertical scrolling feel like the biggest omissions I've seen. I also wish they had stuff like the ice flower and the Mario World style fences. Here's hoping they have DLC planned.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Ometeotl posted:

Oh, gently caress. YES.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Just saw Digby. My friend will finally have his day

edit: i am the great king of evil gabobdoof

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Aug 19, 2015

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Sam Faust posted:

In case you were wondering about whether or not Mario Maker respects your powers over time and space, I found an answer.
This guy is bad.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Dr Pepper posted:

This guy is bad.

I find him being creative, reaching out, giving what the viewers want while having fun doing it and showing off the game. His levels might even be better than yours.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

AfroLine posted:

I find him being creative, reaching out, giving what the viewers want while having fun doing it and showing off the game. His levels might even be better than yours.

Iwas mostly talking about his actual play.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
One of the 'effects' is touch fuzzy get dizzy, but it doesn't actually change gameplay just appearance.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Andre would literally commit suicide if he couldn't spoil every aspect of a game before launch.

Edit: Mercy Kill

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Aug 19, 2015

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Important update:

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

May as well link the video

Shows off a ton of other costumes like the icarus guys and palutena as well as ike and the pokemon

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I'm surprised that nobody has shown off Ganondorf, Dr. Mario or ESPECIALLY Zero Suit Samus yet. Guess none of the review copy holders are also amiibo importers.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

jivjov posted:

I'm surprised that nobody has shown off Ganondorf, Dr. Mario or ESPECIALLY Zero Suit Samus yet. Guess none of the review copy holders are also amiibo importers.

Ganondorf is a few posts up. Also we did see Doc kind of but it's a small blurry mess. He looks like one of the fire emblems in a coat

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

I wish the amiibo costumes could get other power ups, or were just aesthetic choices per-level instead of being power ups themselves

But I guess if there's like 100 of them then having big forms and fireball forms is like double to triple the work so I can kind of understand

Sucks that charizard and bowser can't spit fireballs or doctor Mario can't throw pills, etc. not even asking for custom abilities just re skinned fire Mario

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

OldSenileGuy posted:

Wait, SMB3 only gets the Raccoon Suit? No frog suit and, more importantly, no tanooki suit?

I'm a little disappointed each Mario game-style won't have all their original powerups but this is easily going to be game of the year.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
Frog Suit Mario would lead to some hilarious shenanigans, they'd use it as a trap powerup where if you grab it, you flounder with your decreased mobility and die.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

nftyw posted:

Frog Suit Mario would lead to some hilarious shenanigans, they'd use it as a trap powerup where if you grab it, you flounder with your decreased mobility and die.

Just put on the Slippy outfit, good enough

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
I hope I get Toadette. Or the good captain. If loving Digby is in, y'all can toss me another toad.

Long shot: it would also be rad to see Paula, Jeff and/or Poo.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Spacebump posted:

I'm a little disappointed each Mario game-style won't have all their original powerups but this is easily going to be game of the year.

Aww that makes me sad, why wouldn't they add the beloved SMB3 powerups? At least the shoe made it.

Spectacle Rock
May 24, 2013

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Aww that makes me sad, why wouldn't they add the beloved SMB3 powerups? At least the shoe made it.

I figured it out last night why there aren't SMB3 slopes, or all the other power ups.

The reason is two-fold

1) They want everything to fit on a grid.
2) They want everything to have a counterpart in all 4 Mario-Games

Kuriko's Shoe becomes Yoshi, and that actually makes sense. Both of them can walk on spiky surfaces and let you jump higher.
The Mystery (Amiibo) Mushroom is only in Super Mario Bros. In all other games, it becomes a flight power up (raccoon leaf, feather, propeller hat). There was no flying in the original Mario Bros so this makes sense.

Basically, it seems to me an "item" or "tool" you can place in the world is only fair game if it has a counterpart of some sort for all 4 Mario titles the game emulates.

In short, the appeal of swapping on the fly for another Mario Title of style is why we probably won't get a Frog Suit anytime soon. It could happen, but they'd have to come up with an equivalent for the Frog Suit for all the 3 other games (or allow it to exist in all 4 games which is fine with me)

But, I'm not going to complain. We have Kuribo's Shoe and that's the best power up ever so life is good.

EDIT: In a stream I saw someone take Super Mario Bros 3 "Bowser Jr" and give him a Super Mushroom and Wings. Doing this made him sort of behave like Boom Boom from SMB3 in my opinion so that's cool.

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum

Spectacle Rock posted:

EDIT: In a stream I saw someone take Super Mario Bros 3 "Bowser Jr" and give him a Super Mushroom and Wings. Doing this made him sort of behave like Boom Boom from SMB3 in my opinion so that's cool.
Here it is in action.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CszEpvTb5BM&feature=youtu.be&t=2202

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
So does the freaky skinny mushroom just appear randomly? I saw a video where a guy got a skinny mushroom and then died, and when he restarted the stage that same block was a regular mushroom.

• Locked thread