Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pnutz
Jan 5, 2015

JetsGuy posted:

via reddit:

I remember seeing one in skellige on a random island that was level 42 or so. Wonder if this is the same one in ng+

at least you'll have some nice abilities by that level to brute-force it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Snak posted:

This is really good.

edit: I also watched your The Last of Us Alternative Launch trailer, and it's amazing as well. For what it's worth, I think you're a real artist. These trailers grabbed me as much as any really good professional film trailer. I would love to ask you about your process, but this isn't really the place. Do you have an FAQ or bio somewhere where you talk about it?

They are loving fantastic aren't they? I first watched the Mass Effect 3 one and that trailer alone made me play through the entire trilogy again. He's great at really capturing what your brain thinks about each game and what makes them enjoyable.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Spikeguy posted:

They are loving fantastic aren't they? I first watched the Mass Effect 3 one and that trailer alone made me play through the entire trilogy again. He's great at really capturing what your brain thinks about each game and what makes them enjoyable.

The alt trailer for The Order is significantly more interesting than the actual game.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

pnutz posted:

I remember seeing one in skellige on a random island that was level 42 or so. Wonder if this is the same one in ng+

at least you'll have some nice abilities by that level to brute-force it

It is. And that Skellige Archgriffin is 48 in regular mode

EDIT: VVV you're right, it's 48

JetsGuy fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Aug 18, 2015

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

JetsGuy posted:

It is. And that Skellige Archgriffin is 46 in regular mode.

48 is what I remember.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

OAquinas posted:

I know that's what it says (well, I guessed at the moon language) but a Level 78 Griffin seems like it deserves some new taxonomy.

It's times like this I am glad I had to read old Russian astrophysics journals for a paper when I was in graduate school... and google translate wasn't so helpful.

I don't speak, write or really read Russian, but Cyrillic characters I can at least read phonetically. So I'll be able to say the word (badly) but have no idea what it means. For all I know that could be Polish, I just recognize the letters.

EDIT:
Greek works similarly for me. I'm able to make good stabs at what the words sound like just because I know the damned alphabet... kinda. drat you astrophysics!! :argh:

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

I did Cabaret and Carnal Sins last night. Priscilla :psyduck:

Injun Greenberg
Sep 14, 2011
Does this game tell you how many hours you've been playing at any point? Like after the credits or anything? Because I've been playing this for well over a month and I'm only just getting to the end (I think) and would really like to depress myself with how many hours that is.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Stargate posted:

Does this game tell you how many hours you've been playing at any point? Like after the credits or anything? Because I've been playing this for well over a month and I'm only just getting to the end (I think) and would really like to depress myself with how many hours that is.

Pretty sure it's in the stats thing in the menus somewhere

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Stargate posted:

Both GOG and Steam should tell you outside of the game, where you go to launch it.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
If you are on console go to the inventory page and hit R2/RT.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, but depending on your platform, it might not be accurate. On ps4 the time played seems to be based off of the system clock, and it doesn't suspend when the game is suspended. So while I've played ~ 300 hours (probably more), I haven't nearly as much as the stats screen says.

poopzilla
Nov 23, 2004

Stargate posted:

I dont even want to know. and im about to start a ng+ :shepface:

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

The PS4 seems to keep a running count for whenever the system is put in rest mode without closing the game.

edit: beaten

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Snak posted:

Yeah, but depending on your platform, it might not be accurate. On ps4 the time played seems to be based off of the system clock, and it doesn't suspend when the game is suspended. So while I've played ~ 300 hours (probably more), I haven't nearly as much as the stats screen says.

the truth posted:

The PS4 seems to keep a running count for whenever the system is put in rest mode without closing the game.

edit: beaten

According to W3, I played it many times more than I've played Destiny, and that's not even close to accurate. :xd:

The PS4 one is definitely broken and does not account for suspend play at all.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Which is sad because it means it can't be retroactively fixed.

I am really surprised that the PS4 itself doesn't track play time of different apps.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
That's probably a good thing, tbh.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
I really want it I'm all about the masochism of playtime

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I have two Gwent cards left to collect and I am running around like mad trying to find somebody I haven't played before so I can win them and finally complete my collection :cripes:

The really sad thing is that one of them is Zoltan Chivay, which I see could have been the FIRST card I won in the game, except I didn't understand the game at all (I thought your cards replenished each turn!) and got thrashed by the guy who introduces you to the game and then as far as I know disappears forever. I think you can still win him as a random reward, if not then I'm hosed :smith:

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
The card is at hanged mans tree now iirc

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

I have two Gwent cards left to collect and I am running around like mad trying to find somebody I haven't played before so I can win them and finally complete my collection :cripes:

The really sad thing is that one of them is Zoltan Chivay, which I see could have been the FIRST card I won in the game, except I didn't understand the game at all (I thought your cards replenished each turn!) and got thrashed by the guy who introduces you to the game and then as far as I know disappears forever. I think you can still win him as a random reward, if not then I'm hosed :smith:

Latest patch puts the Zoltan card next to the Hanged Man's Tree.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

So, for anyone tapping into New Game+, did they rebalance encounters with anything but adding +levels to things?

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar
Wow, gently caress that boss fight (you know which one). After dying like 15 times in a row on B&BB to his wonky teleportation bullshit, I put it down to easy to kill him and get on with the rest of the game.

The attack patterns are really simple and his first form is a breeze, it's just when you've only specced signs and he's completely immune to them, and he stunlocks you to death if the camera happens to be at the wrong angle when he gets behind you. It just seemed random to me.

Really bad bossfight imo.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Your Dead Gay Son posted:

I really want it I'm all about the masochism of playtime

It should also display your friends' playtime like Steam does

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

frozenpeas posted:

Wow, gently caress that boss fight (you know which one). After dying like 15 times in a row on B&BB to his wonky teleportation bullshit, I put it down to easy to kill him and get on with the rest of the game.

The attack patterns are really simple and his first form is a breeze, it's just when you've only specced signs and he's completely immune to them, and he stunlocks you to death if the camera happens to be at the wrong angle when he gets behind you. It just seemed random to me.

I'm completely signs other than 5 points in combat and 3 in alchemy, playing on Deathmarch, and while it's a really hard/long fight, it's doable. I did it at 27 or so though.
Quen up, Yrden trap, igni off his frozen armor once he gets his mace stuck and get in two melee attacks, repeat. Samus bombs give you a few free hits too. It's a fight about rolling so Yrden magic trap gets you some damage while you roll around while Quen makes sure you don't get oneshot doing it as he teleports. Ekhidna decoction and/or Wraith decoction are lifesavers - the former regens vitality everytime you use a sign, the latter puts up a Quen everytime you take a hit > 1/3'd vitality. Between Yrden turret and Igni when he gets his mace stuck I think I only actually meleed him about a dozen hits.

l33t b4c0n
Aug 19, 2000

King of E/N
I actually appreciated that boss fight because it was actually challenging. Past level 10, you can pretty much brute force any fight. Yeah, you should try to dodge as much as possible, but you can still play like a bit of a button-mashing moron and win most fights. That one required you to actually utilize your prowess and not focus on brute forcing it.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

So in NG+ should I just be replacing all my cool mastercraft poo poo with whatever has bigger numbers until I can craft it at a higher level again? Gonna miss that huge signs buff if that's the case...

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Oxxidation posted:

Latest patch puts the Zoltan card next to the Hanged Man's Tree.

:slick:

That just leaves Toruviel and I should be done, thanks!

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
While of course I don't blame people for trying to play the game however they want, I don't think the game is really designed to be played without putting at least some points in swords.

This playthrough I'm actually going only swords, I think. Last time I speciallize in only fast attack and adrenaline, and then went alchemy. This time I'm aiming for a 55 point sword build. It's going to be so brutal.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

frozenpeas posted:

Wonky teleportation? What?
Camera at the wrong angle? What?
If you're talking about Imlrith, stop being silly, I specced in signs and that shouldn't be a problem. Just roll away while he does his attacks. The attack pattern is always the same and he takes a good few hits after he plants his mace in the ground.
If a boss or enemy (gargoyles :arghfist: ) is an rear end in a top hat who's immune to most Signs, just throw down an Yrden, drink your Archgriffin Decoction, and heavy attack him to death.

Fishstick posted:

I'm completely signs other than 5 points in combat and 3 in alchemy, playing on Deathmarch, and while it's a really hard/long fight, it's doable. I did it at 27 or so though.
Quen up, Yrden trap, igni off his frozen armor once he gets his mace stuck and get in two melee attacks, repeat. Samus bombs give you a few free hits too. It's a fight about rolling so Yrden magic trap gets you some damage while you roll around while Quen makes sure you don't get oneshot doing it as he teleports. Ekhidna decoction and/or Wraith decoction are lifesavers - the former regens vitality everytime you use a sign, the latter puts up a Quen everytime you take a hit > 1/3'd vitality. Between Yrden turret and Igni when he gets his mace stuck I think I only actually meleed him about a dozen hits.

Can you Igni his armor off without him immediately restarting his attack string?

Rizzo Crackers
Oct 11, 2009

Like a midget at a urinal, I was gonna have to keep on my toes.

Snak posted:

This is really good.

edit: I also watched your The Last of Us Alternative Launch trailer, and it's amazing as well. For what it's worth, I think you're a real artist. These trailers grabbed me as much as any really good professional film trailer. I would love to ask you about your process, but this isn't really the place. Do you have an FAQ or bio somewhere where you talk about it?

Wow thank you very much. I used to have a Tumblr account for the making of each but it died. Think I have an AskFM link with some questions on there too. Should be on the YouTube channel. That or send me a PM. More than happy to talk about it :)

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

I just got to Skillege after basically completing EVERY side activity in Velen/Novigrad and holy poo poo, theres a lot to do here to. I can feel my interest draining, I am thinking about skipping a lot of side content. If I do end up skipping some of it, what are the level requirements to finish the game? Whats a good level you kind of need to be around?

I really don't think they designed this game with the idea that people would 100% every area before moving on, or even in a single playthrough. It's really story driven so it's easy to treat it like you would the earlier games, or Dragon Age or Mass Effect or something, but it's ultimately an open world game. Trying to do that here is a recipe for burnout.

You wouldn't try to 100% Morrowind or Fallout in one playthrough, would you?

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

the truth posted:

I did Cabaret and Carnal Sins last night. Priscilla :psyduck:

Dude Carnal Sins is so good. I never felt more in character for a video game. Really strong quest. Another holy poo poo moment was before that quest where you can ask Dudu to change into Ciri. Geralt doesn't say anything and only stares at him. Then Zoltan quietly apologizes. This is because Dudu can't change his scar on his eye so it only reminds Geralt of all the danger she's in. However all of this is gotten across without talking. It only relies on the strength of expression and timing. It's amazingly good and effective. Then again the game is full of these instances.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I don't think it was just because of the scar, but yeah that was a really good moment.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

The Sharmat posted:

I don't think it was just because of the scar, but yeah that was a really good moment.

Yeah fair enough that's just kinda how i internalized/qualified it. I just really appreciate the thought and care that went into it.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
All the best scenes in the game have none or minimal dialogue and that's not even a knock on the dialogue quality or acting.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
The visual storytelling is so good in this.

But they should never show mouths touching anything. I they can't even make a horse drinking look decent.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
The scene with Geralt and Yennefer at the end of Last Wish is one of the only times I've actually seen animated lips locking in a video game. And even then they pan the camera away from it in short order because it's so hard to animate they don't want to have to do it for long.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

The Sharmat posted:

All the best scenes in the game have none or minimal dialogue and that's not even a knock on the dialogue quality or acting.

It's just that no games even try to have moments like that. Much less optional ones people might not even see. I guess that just makes it all the more impressive when they're done well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

FauxGateau posted:

It's just that no games even try to have moments like that. Much less optional ones people might not even see. I guess that just makes it all the more impressive when they're done well.

Now, as good as W3 is, this just isn't true. Games being "cinematic" has been a thing for awhile. Many games have done a good job, and many more have tried and done poorly.

Your "much less optional ones" is pretty close to the mark. Witche 2 and 3 have a pretty unprecedented level of high quality completely miss-able content.