Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
So, how do glass screen protectors actually protect the screen from breaking? Does all of the energy just get transferred to the very top layer (the protector) whenever it's dropped or something like that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Presumably they have some sort of ablative effect where the protector will break before the screen itself, however, I'm not convinced that it really does a whole lot and "my glass screen protector broke so the actual screen definitely would have" is anything more than confirmation bias.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
I don't really think any screen protector out there can actually protect the phone if enough force is applied to it in a scenario where the screen on the phone would break otherwise. I did/would use one just to protect from scratches.

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

Stars Stripes Freedom Jozy
(Jozy not pictured here)
My son had a glass screen protector on his Galaxy and slammed the car door on the phone. Neither the protector nor the screen broke but it destroyed the LCD.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

So, how do glass screen protectors actually protect the screen from breaking? Does all of the energy just get transferred to the very top layer (the protector) whenever it's dropped or something like that?

As said by others, they basically just help avoid scratches. Even the best ones ($50) are way softer than the Gorilla glass 3 the 6 uses though, so people tend to get their protector scratched up from regular use and think the same fate would have befallen their screen without it.
They're useful if you know you'll be putting your phone somewhere it can be scratched often, or want to ensure full resale value.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

It's just an extra layer. I've seen a ton of phones come back where the front protector is cracked, actual one is fine. Whether it's because the glass screen protectors are lower quality or because it helps, I couldn't say.

But yeah, as others have said, it def is not guaranteed. I also see a lot of the flip side, where both are cracked. Personally, it's cheap enough and doesn't bother me using the phone at all, so I would always recommend it.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
So the iPhone update for 8.4 simply won't go through OTA for me. I tried multiple wifi networks, didn't try through my computer yet. Anyone else run into this?

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
There is a discount type store called Five Below that sells glass screen protectors for $5. I've had one on my phone for quite a while and it seems fine.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

I don't know if the glass screen protectors protect that much better than traditional ones, but they sure as poo poo feel better. That's worth the price to me.

On the older phones, they seemed to add a little more edge impact protection, but not so much on the 6 and 6+ since they don't go to the edge of the screen.

RhoA
Jul 20, 2014

empty baggie posted:

I don't know if the glass screen protectors protect that much better than traditional ones, but they sure as poo poo feel better. That's worth the price to me.

I like the matte screen protectors, so I guess I'll have to stick with the plastic ones.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Screen protectors always make the phone feel less responsive and gross to use so I don't use them. If the screen breaks I have Apple Care.

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

Stars Stripes Freedom Jozy
(Jozy not pictured here)

TheJoker138 posted:

Screen protectors always make the phone feel gross

Lol

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

TheJoker138 posted:

Screen protectors always make the phone feel less responsive and gross to use so I don't use them. If the screen breaks I have Apple Care.

While I experienced that with older plastic-y protectors, the glass one feels perfect and If there's any hit to responsiveness, I haven't noticed it.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I don't see the point in screen protectors at all. Iphone screens are hard as gently caress to scratch and I don't think I've ever had a visible scratch in 7 years of having iPhones. In my experience they are either flawless or if you really gently caress up they explode like a mirror, in which case some lovely sliver of plastic or glass would be useless.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
I've seen some phones with scratches over the years.

Also, when it comes to glass screen protectors, they're all the same unless they have some oil resistant coating.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

NESguerilla posted:

I don't think I've ever had a visible scratch in 7 years of having iPhones.

Do you lead an extremely sedentary lifestyle?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I've dropped my 6 face down on the pavement about 6 times, including once yesterday. Scratchless. They are really hard to scratch unless you are walking around with your rock collection in your pocket or something.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Yeah I've never scratched my screen either, and have not only dropped my phone several times (with no case) but carry it in the same pocket as my keys most of the time.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Well now we're in the thick of anecdotal evidence.

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
If I synch my iPhone with a new iTunes library, will it do a full erase of my phone, or does it involve my cloud backup somehow?

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

NESguerilla posted:

I've dropped my 6 face down on the pavement about 6 times, including once yesterday. Scratchless. They are really hard to scratch unless you are walking around with your rock collection in your pocket or something.

Or do work for a living. Dropping it on the pavement is hardly a case for scratching the glass, that's more along the lines of how it gets cracked. Trust me it's quite easy to scratch the glass.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003
I'm not convinced either way. Can a few more people on both sides of the argument provide a couple more anecdotes so I can decide if using a screen protector is acceptable or not. If you can, include age, profession, sex, and number of times your phone has been dropped face down on concrete. Thanks.

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
I've always gone bareback with my 4, and after 4.5 years it only has one slightly visible scratch. I've only dropped it in a parking lot once. Maybe you guys need to stop being suck klutzes.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

Wulfolme posted:

I've always gone bareback with my 4, and after 4.5 years it only has one slightly visible scratch. I've only dropped it in a parking lot once. Maybe you guys need to stop being suck klutzes.

Also could be easier to hold a device with a 3.5" screen .... nah, nevermind.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

maduin posted:

I'm not convinced either way. Can a few more people on both sides of the argument provide a couple more anecdotes so I can decide if using a screen protector is acceptable or not. If you can, include age, profession, sex, and number of times your phone has been dropped face down on concrete. Thanks.

Wulfolme posted:

Keep going, I'm almost there...

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

My uncle works in Apple's testing department where they spend their day spiking iPhones into different materials, and he says

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

xzzy posted:

My uncle works in Apple's testing department where they spend their day spiking iPhones into different materials, and he says

Oh, well, my neighbors cousin lives next to a guy that works at Apple and he spends his day shaking iphones up in bags of diamonds and keys, and he says

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

xzzy posted:

total cliffhanger bro

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

mAlfunkti0n posted:

Or do work for a living. Dropping it on the pavement is hardly a case for scratching the glass, that's more along the lines of how it gets cracked. Trust me it's quite easy to scratch the glass.

I'm really curious what job you have where you're around poo poo that can scratch a screen this easily but also have your phone out all the time. It sounds like whatever job it is it might be kinda dangerous to have your phone out while doing it.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

TheJoker138 posted:

I'm really curious what job you have where you're around poo poo that can scratch a screen this easily but also have your phone out all the time. It sounds like whatever job it is it might be kinda dangerous to have your phone out while doing it.

:gizz::corsair:

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

:agreed:

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

TheJoker138 posted:

I work in .... wait for it ...... "IT".

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES
I feel like the people who have dropped their phones on concrete and claim they are scratchless are the same people who are calling things "mint" on Swappa and CL with micro-scratches all over the place and clearly worn bezels, etc.

Its an affliction.

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax

Cozmosis posted:

I feel like the people who have dropped their phones on concrete and claim they are scratchless are the same people who are calling things "mint" on Swappa and CL with micro-scratches all over the place and clearly worn bezels, etc.

Its an affliction.
Yeah, they're the ones with the affliction... :rolleyes:

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus
I need some ideas on how to figure out my WiFi problem, so I guess this is the place to start.

Recently I have been having random connection issues on my phone. As far as I can tell nothing at all has changed on my phone itself, so I'm not sure exactly what the issue is. Sometimes when I'm browsing SA on my home WiFi, or playing a game, it will just randomly stop connecting, or sit loading forever. The other day I tried to download KOTOR from the app store and it took two hours to get around 20% done. The connection speed is over 100mbps, so it wasn't that it was a big file. My iPad seems fine, but it has had app store issues as well, in addition to occasional slowdowns while watching YouTube or Twitch. I'm not sure if it's the network, or iOS stuff, but I'm leaning towards the network.

My router is roughly four years old now, and on the latest firmware. Where should I start to try to fix this? Is it just time to get a new router?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Anyone else on the beta having issues where the phone just doesn't charge when plugged in sometimes (despite syncing), or do I have an iphone and ipad with dying batteries?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
The iPhone Thread: you guys are suck klutzes

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

cryptoclastic posted:

I need some ideas on how to figure out my WiFi problem, so I guess this is the place to start.

Recently I have been having random connection issues on my phone. As far as I can tell nothing at all has changed on my phone itself, so I'm not sure exactly what the issue is. Sometimes when I'm browsing SA on my home WiFi, or playing a game, it will just randomly stop connecting, or sit loading forever. The other day I tried to download KOTOR from the app store and it took two hours to get around 20% done. The connection speed is over 100mbps, so it wasn't that it was a big file. My iPad seems fine, but it has had app store issues as well, in addition to occasional slowdowns while watching YouTube or Twitch. I'm not sure if it's the network, or iOS stuff, but I'm leaning towards the network.

My router is roughly four years old now, and on the latest firmware. Where should I start to try to fix this? Is it just time to get a new router?

Crappy known issue with iOS 8 and awdl. Google wifried and read the medium article.

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus

mAlfunkti0n posted:

Crappy known issue with iOS 8 and awdl. Google wifried and read the medium article.

Awesome. I am jailbroken so I downloaded that fix. Hopefully it will work! Thank you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Yoooo so, for any other 16Gb povs out there:

Lately I've been having issues where I was drastically running out of storage space for no real reason. Started deleting apps left right and centre but the storage was always filling back up. I had my suspicions about Apple Music since it started filling up after 8.3

So, yesterday, just out of interest, I plugged it into my Mac and ran iExplorer and there was a 5Gb (!) folder of audio files from Apple music. I'd never set any files to download for offline and according to the Music app, I had no offline songs. The copy of iExplorer I have in work doesn't let me delete files so I downloaded some alternative (Macgo iPhone Explorer or something) and deleted the Cloud Assets folders containing hundreds of .m4a files.

Lo and Behold I've now got nearly half the phone free again! There were songs on the phone I hadn't listened to in months and whole downloads of Beats 1 streams that had just been sitting there. Surprised they don't get deleted after use but it's definitely worth checking out what's actually on your phone if you're low on space!