Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

BadSamaritan posted:

My husband and I were driving on a highway during a very intense rainstorm (people had mostly dropped down to 40mph on a stretch that is usually 80+ yay Massachusetts!).

Very low visibility and we are in the right lane about 2 miles from a major exit, when we realize there is a minivan just stopped in the lane ahead. Thankfully we stopped in time, but close behind them. We watch as the passenger gets out of the van and checks out the rear wheel on her side (it looked fine from our angle). Gets back in the van. Gets back out and checks it again. No hazards going, just a left turn signal.

I assume they had hydro locked or had otherwise broken down and couldn't get it to the shoulder but goddamn don't get out of your car in poo poo visibility on an interstate, and put your hazards on. They were lucky we were paying attention or we would've wrecked them with our loaded up U-Haul.

Saturday afternoon, right? I live in Framingham and was right by the Natick mall and saw something similar, a minivan stopped in the middle of Speen Street . The flooding was about 6 inches deep on his side of the road.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

I'm driving back from grabbing some lunch and myself and one car in front of me pull up to a red light. After sitting at the red light for about 10 seconds the woman in front of me apparently decided that it no longer applied to her and just drove right through it. About 10 seconds later the light changed and I caught up with her before the next light.

Why?

I was driving home yesterday evening from work and had the most idiotic, determined moron, maybe mid-20s dude not only ride my rear end in a 35mph zone on a 2 lane road, but when it opened to 4 lanes he sped up, blew past me on the right...and got stuck at the light a couple hundred meters ahead of us. He was NOT pleased when I pulled beside him, smiled big, and shook my head.

He sped off in his little special snowflake Subaru BRZ and I passed him again less than a mile up the road...pulled over by a police cruiser. :lol:

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

PenisMonkey posted:

Maybe he doesn't realize, from skimming the article, that Batman was killed.

I'm not a religious person, and I don't believe in an afterlife.. but seriously.

Whoever you are batman killer, I hope in the existence of karma just once just for you.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

SneakyFrog posted:

I'm not a religious person, and I don't believe in an afterlife.. but seriously.

Whoever you are batman killer, I hope in the existence of karma just once just for you.

To be fair, this applies to anyone who kills someone because they were driving like a reckless, inattentive dickhole.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

BadSamaritan posted:

My husband and I were driving on a highway during a very intense rainstorm (people had mostly dropped down to 40mph on a stretch that is usually 80+ yay Massachusetts!).

Very low visibility and we are in the right lane about 2 miles from a major exit, when we realize there is a minivan just stopped in the lane ahead. Thankfully we stopped in time, but close behind them. We watch as the passenger gets out of the van and checks out the rear wheel on her side (it looked fine from our angle). Gets back in the van. Gets back out and checks it again. No hazards going, just a left turn signal.

I assume they had hydro locked or had otherwise broken down and couldn't get it to the shoulder but goddamn don't get out of your car in poo poo visibility on an interstate, and put your hazards on. They were lucky we were paying attention or we would've wrecked them with our loaded up U-Haul.

You probably saved them from getting flattened by some 18-wheeler going 30.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

PenisMonkey posted:

Maybe he doesn't realize, from skimming the article, that Batman was killed.

Batman is still alive and is running for President.

quote:

Into the helicopter went William, 9; Sean, 6; Brendan, 5; and Henry, who just turned 3. Their mother went with them. Henry got scared just before takeoff and left the aircraft to be with his father. The other boys remained. William brought a GoPro camera to capture the experience; a clip later wound up on Facebook.

"Mr. Trump," he said, aiming the camera at his benefactor.

"Yes," Trump said, pulling on the lapels of his jacket.

"Are you Batman?" the boy asked.

"I am Batman," Trump said.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

SneakyFrog posted:

Hey maybe don't leave your car in the fast lane of the highway and just maybe it won't get hit. In the fast lane.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

PCOS Bill posted:

Hey maybe don't leave your car in the fast lane of the highway and just maybe it won't get hit. In the fast lane.

I believe the car ceased to move in the fast lane.
Probably no one's actual fault, a stopped car on the freeway is something that is hard to deal with.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

GutBomb posted:

Saturday afternoon, right? I live in Framingham and was right by the Natick mall and saw something similar, a minivan stopped in the middle of Speen Street . The flooding was about 6 inches deep on his side of the road.

Yeah. This poor/dumb family was on the Mass Pike right near 95. I told the booth operator about the minivan, hopefully they got out unscathed.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Saw a couple of good ones today.

Got tailgated by a dude in a Dodge Ram driven by a guy who had his left forearm draped completely over the steering wheel - like his elbow was at the 11 o'clock position. Added to that he had a serious lean to the centre of his vehicle going on.

Also had a dude yell at me in a playground zone for passing him on a two-lane road, even though I was doing less than the limit (and he was doing a lot less than that), and in a line of four vehicles that also passed him. What really got me was after he did that he sped off - through the same playground zone - doing at least 50 km/h (20 over the limit) and repassing everyone who just went past him.

I mean I know you aren't supposed to pass anyone in a playground zone, but at the same time if you're doing 15 km/h you need to gently caress right off.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Passing someone there is loving dangerious. He could be slowing down for a kid in the road or something. You're the people we share the road with. So is he for speeding off, but still.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

PT6A posted:

To be fair, this applies to anyone who kills someone because they were driving like a reckless, inattentive dickhole.

Agreed

PCOS Bill posted:

I dunno, I mean i may not drive as aggressively as some folks in here but even in the fast lane poo poo happens, I just try not to hit anything.... especially when I'm going fast..

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
a no passing playground zone wtf that is almost as retarded as the school zone i pass through daily that has never seen a child cross in its history since it is a private school and no parent would suffer that indignity

nm
Jan 28, 2008

nm posted:

Jesus gently caress. I don't like the bicyclists that run stop signs in front of me, but you know what is way more dangerous? When cars do it.
Today loving twice I've almost been creamed at two-way stop signs (aka, side road has stop sign, main road has ROW) by people who seemed to think that pulling out in front of a cyclist doing 20 mph is a smart thing to do. I'm not loving invisible, I'm a 6'4" fat man wearing a very bright shirt -- I'm pretty sure they see me and think I'm going slow or something.
They're lucky I predict this stuff and prepare to slow or they'd have a fat person size dent in their door and a lawsuit with the sole point of bankrupting their stupid asses. (Also many broken bones for me).

And today, I almost hit a cyclist at an intersection at 10:15PM with no light. He got pissed of course.
Everyone is an rear end in a top hat.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Tonight I was out for a nice motorcycle ride, approaching an intersection with a right turn lane and a left turn lane, at a T-intersection. No straight, I was on the body of the T.

In front of me was a bicyclist with a teeny tiny little red dot light under his seat, and that was the only reason I even saw him - he was dressed head to toe in dark colors, in a dark helmet, on a dark bike. He was far left in the left turn lane slowly pulling up at the red, I wanted to go right, so I signalled and proceeded to move up to the top of the line, maybe three cars then the bicycle.

As I'm about to go around him he suddenly decides to ... I don't know how to express it other than "floor it," to jump around the right side of the car in front of him, directly in front of me, and I guess he finally noticed me because he came to a dead stop and glared over his shoulder at me as I stopped behind him, before pulling up to the intersection and just running the red to take the left turn with oncoming traffic in both directions.

I yelled "Hey buddy, that light's for you too" as he took off, but he either didn't hear me or didn't care. Then I took my turn and went home.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
I think being a cyclist makes seeing other people on bikes do dumb poo poo even more frustrating. It's like "gee, thanks, you're making the average person hate me even more."

Today some guy blared on the horn as he went by me because I was on the road instead of the path. Except the path has kids and people walking their dogs etc and I was going 38mph at one point because it's downhill.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

jamal posted:

I think being a cyclist makes seeing other people on bikes do dumb poo poo even more frustrating. It's like "gee, thanks, you're making the average person hate me even more."

Today some guy blared on the horn as he went by me because I was on the road instead of the path. Except the path has kids and people walking their dogs etc and I was going 38mph at one point because it's downhill.

Exactly. I wanted to take this rear end in a top hat aside and explain to him everything his stupid fixie rear end was doing wrong as he acted like an entitled jackass. I ride the same loving street almost everyday, I don't need people associating that douchebag with me.
Afterwards he started weaving across both lanes to prevent any passing (on a wide road with a passing lane) which was extra awesome.

I do hate to say it, but if I see a fixed gear, I just assume you're an rear end in a top hat. It seems to be the douchecanoe transport method of choice, a brodozer for hipsters if you will. Gotta suck for the people who actually enjoy the challenge and importance of cadence.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

nm posted:

I do hate to say it, but if I see a fixed gear, I just assume you're an rear end in a top hat.

Same. Also those who buy 'fixie' bikes and run them singlespeed, purely for the fact that for the same money they could have a proper road bike which is better in every respect.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

88h88 posted:

Same. Also those who buy 'fixie' bikes and run them singlespeed, purely for the fact that for the same money they could have a proper road bike which is better in every respect.

Eh, I dunno. The entire point of a good fixed gear (as opposed to single speed) is to force you to keep pedaling and has some benefit.
A single speed or a fixed gear (they're different things) will be significantly cheaper to build up or buy than a decent spec road bike and cheap road bike components are just poo poo.

I'll still assume they are assholes though. That's thye worst part is these douchebags are ruining an interesting (if not actually "good" thing).
If you run without a brake you are an rear end in a top hat though.

I really can't wait until this current wave of bike poo poo goes away. The bike business is very cyclical. In the 90s it was all about mountain bikes. Then there was a decline. Lance Armstrong won* a bunch of tours and everyone wanted a red white and blue road bike and a kit. There was another decline. Then there was the fixed gear thing. The people who join up in the peak times are often entitled wieners who'd be way better off focusing on watches or something that I don't like.

nm fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Aug 19, 2015

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Problem is people here buy 'fashion' 'fixies' which are £500+ minimum which will net you road bikes which will go for years with a bare minimum of maintenance.

..but then this entire thread is about stupid people so it all fits.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

The first group I started riding with was actually fixed gear guys in Long Beach, but by the time I started riding a lot of them had road bikes and had turned into fairly responsible grown up people. We occasionally had people show up and do dumb poo poo like blow through lights, and they got asked not to come back.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
I very rarely use my horn, but the other day I couldn't let the moron buried in her phone in heavy traffic go on. Of course she looks up with a terrified look.... but only for a second. Back to the phone. Jesus.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

nm posted:

The bike business is very cyclical.

:v:

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Dude in the white shirt totally target fixated, holy gently caress.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

It's me, I'm the kid who escapes the actions of 4 idiotic adults unscathed

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

nm posted:

Passing someone there is loving dangerious. He could be slowing down for a kid in the road or something. You're the people we share the road with. So is he for speeding off, but still.

Yeah, this. The original guy is also a dick for going 15 km/h in a school zone assuming there was no good reason to go slower than 30 km/h (our school zones, for example, run from 7AM to 9PM or something like that, so there are plenty of times that a school zone is active yet no children are around).

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

This was originally meant for the chat thread but it got involved enough I'm posting it here.

What drives me up a loving wall is when I'm planning out a nice linear stop at a light behind another car, and they for absolutely no reason slam the brakes 50 feet back, making me panic stop too, then creep the rest of the way to the stop line (or past it and halfway into the intersection you know, w/e). like way to gently caress up my goddamn plans.

Unrelated, is it actually illegal to bypass a long left turn light by going straight and making a legal u-turn to come back? my school commute had two immediately consecutive lefts, timed so you'd make the first right as the second was turning yellow, and it's a solid 5m red. I'd normally consistently make the u-turn, but one time a cop pulled up behind me so I just turned into the plaza instead... he followed me. so I turned down an aisle... he followed me. i parked... he parked next to me. I ended up getting out and going into the grocery store out of sheer paranoia that he was trying to bust me for making a sequence of legal traffic maneuvers.

The route in question:

also that tight right hander after the u-turn is a blast to take at speed

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Enourmo posted:

This was originally meant for the chat thread but it got involved enough I'm posting it here.

What drives me up a loving wall is when I'm planning out a nice linear stop at a light behind another car, and they for absolutely no reason slam the brakes 50 feet back, making me panic stop too, then creep the rest of the way to the stop line (or past it and halfway into the intersection you know, w/e). like way to gently caress up my goddamn plans.

Unrelated, is it actually illegal to bypass a long left turn light by going straight and making a legal u-turn to come back? my school commute had two immediately consecutive lefts, timed so you'd make the first right as the second was turning yellow, and it's a solid 5m red. I'd normally consistently make the u-turn, but one time a cop pulled up behind me so I just turned into the plaza instead... he followed me. so I turned down an aisle... he followed me. i parked... he parked next to me. I ended up getting out and going into the grocery store out of sheer paranoia that he was trying to bust me for making a sequence of legal traffic maneuvers.

The route in question:

If it's a legal u-turn, then it's a legal u-turn. The legality of u-turns varies by jurisdiction quite a bit, but assuming it would be a legal u-turn under normal circumstances, it wouldn't become illegal because of your motivation for doing it.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Totally fine. Might slightly gently caress with a traffic planner's numbers, but if it's faster to do that they've already screwed up somewhere.

In a lot of cases that's the better option, like when there's no turn lane to make a left into a driveway or side street or something, if you go to the next light and make a u-turn you aren't holding up traffic.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Enourmo posted:

The route in question:

Completely legal. I'd love to see what he was going to write you up for though.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

GutBomb posted:

Completely legal. I'd love to see what he was going to write you up for though.

Well I'm a jackass with shaggy hair and a beard driving a yellow riceburner with a big yellow factory spoiler and a 3 inch sport exhaust with soot on the lower bumper, I'm sure he would have found something. :v:

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Enourmo posted:

Well I'm a jackass with shaggy hair and a beard driving a yellow riceburner with a big yellow factory spoiler and a 3 inch sport exhaust with soot on the lower bumper, I'm sure he would have found something. :v:

Hey fellow riceburner owner who gets profiled by cops :smith::hf::smith:

It happens less since I moved from my parents house, but every time I got pulled over I was met with borderline verbal abuse because the cop thought I was a stupid young kid racing my car. And if you knew me, you'd know I make it a point to not go a hair faster than traffic.

Red Hondas are cop magnets, basically.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
Saw an elderly woman pull onto the Northbound on ramp, get a quarter up it and completely stop traffic as she proceeded to make a 30 point turn to flip around and drive back down. I'm guessing she wanted the Southbound ramp. Completely screwed up the intersection for a good few minutes as traffic backed up waiting for her elderly rear end.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

These are the legislators you share a road with...

My city is doing away with school zones, replacing them all with playground zones (same speed, but in effect every day of the year), because apparently people can't handle two different signs. Now we get to slow down unnecessarily every single day, from 7AM to 9PM!

Next step: every time you see someone under the age of 18 within 100 meters of your car, you must park the car, get out and walk.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Back in my day, we taught kids to look both ways before crossing, to not dig your head into your phone when you walk... :corsair:

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Protocol7 posted:

Back in my day, we taught kids to look both ways before crossing, to not dig your head into your phone when you walk... :corsair:

I remember when I was maybe 8 or 9 I rode my bike out into the street and someone had to slam on their brakes to avoid hitting me, and my father smacked the poo poo out of me on the spot and made me apologize to the driver.

Today you'd probably have the parents screaming at you for being an inhuman monster for daring to drive a car on the road when their child was within 500 yards.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Protocol7 posted:

Yeah, if I got hit by a car when I was a kid, I would have been the one in trouble for loving up

Occupy Sesame Street!
Nov 20, 2012

PCOS Bill posted:

Yeah, if I got hit by a car when I was a kid, I would have been the one in trouble for loving up

Pedestrian right of way laws are both good and annoying. Someone's life is always worth more than someone's property and the law should reflect that, but the law isn't going to do poo poo for you when you get your skull cracked against someone's windshield because you walked out into traffic without looking. The pedestrian right of way is basically made to protect people/children too dumb or ignorant to protect themselves, but a whole lot of assholes think it means "as a pedestrian, you can force cars to defy the laws of physics by glaring at them afterwards." Not annoying enough to get rid of the laws, but still irritating.

Same goes for cyclists, I've seen cyclists who check their shoulders, try not to juke in front of speeding cars, and generally not be an rear end, but I've also seen Spandex Steve make an illegal left turn in front of me at 50mph downhill without looking, and flip me off when my abs went off trying not to hit him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

PCOS Bill posted:

I did get hit by a car on my bike when I was a kid. The offending driver brought me home where my mother bandaged me up, and apologized to the near-manslaughterer for the inconvenience.