Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Outside Dawg
Feb 24, 2013

RadioPassive posted:

Is this a very reasonable price or a screaming deal?

http://boston.craigslist.org/nos/mcy/5155671300.html

I'd call it reasonable. But I wouldn't call it a commuter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

My commute is 1 mile of lovely Boston city streets then 20 miles of decent interstate.

Outside Dawg
Feb 24, 2013
That 1 mile is all it will take sometimes. That's why I have two bikes now.

(26 miles of nice 4 lane and 2.5 of lovely city traffic)

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
Wow that concours looks exactly like a big pregen ninja 250, pretty :krad:

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

Thoughts on this? I'm going to look at it Saturday morning, the craigslister seems like a normal human being so far.

Price seems about fair for the area I think, right?

mrlego
Feb 14, 2007

I do not avoid women, but I do deny them my essence.

RadioPassive posted:

Thoughts on this? I'm going to look at it Saturday morning, the craigslister seems like a normal human being so far.

Price seems about fair for the area I think, right?

How much is it?

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

mrlego posted:

How much is it?

What area?

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

Oops. Cropped out the title with price and location, sorry.

$2750 near Boston

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008
If it's really that clean and with the bags then probably worth it.

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

Dutymode posted:

If it's really that clean and with the bags then probably worth it.

He was very straightforward about scheduling the meet and he proposed 9 AM Saturday with perfect spelling, punctuation, and capitalization. My craigslist senses are tingling. I am filled with hope.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

RadioPassive posted:

He was very straightforward about scheduling the meet and he proposed 9 AM Saturday with perfect spelling, punctuation, and capitalization. My craigslist senses are tingling. I am filled with hope.

It's a fair price for NYC, for what it's worth.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH

An actual cafe-racer ?!

Translated
"Norton Featherbed Frame and Triumph T110 motor, Aluminium gas- and oil tank, Aluminium wheels, new instrumentation, new fot pegs, Amal MK2 carbs, Tommaselli handles and throttle roll. Brakes from newer Triumph/BSA."

I read up on the triton Hybrids and this made me laugh:

Wikipedia posted:

The Norton 650 and 750 vertical twin engines had a reliability problem. At about 7000 rpm the piston exceeds the engineering limit for piston speed, so over-revving soon destroys the engines.

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008
I should stop browsing CL for at least a couple months after getting a new bike.

http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/mcy/5163166987.html

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation
http://palmsprings.craigslist.org/mcy/5166318309.html

Careful everyone, this guy "knows what he has". Might even be willing to kill you in front of your dog.

El Jebus fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Aug 14, 2015

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
I am not sure I understand that last part. Is he saying that he will not only kill you in front of your dog, but also take $25 of the $27 you brought. Then, give $2 to the dog as condolences money?

This person is creatively insane.

edit: And lol at the "$3500-$3000 grand". That's three mil, mathmaster.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

This finally got pulled out of the storage unit after a year of being listed everywhere between $1,500 and $10,000.

And the pictures of it are still basically crap. Previous pictures of it were the bike, from behind, peeking out of a giant pile of boxes and toys and poo poo. Wish I'd saved some of the earlier postings that just said "motorcycle 10000"

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Aug 14, 2015

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Supradog posted:

Unless you're chuckling at the surprised way Wikipedia describes a known and obvious inbuilt limit on engine speed, I'm not sure what you're finding funny. It's why engines have rev limiters (at least they have done since it became practical to put them on).

Gorgeous bike though and if I ever get a garage and some spare time something like that will definitely be in my life.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Burned former owner makes Wikipedia edit.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Supradog posted:

An actual cafe-racer ?!

Translated
"Norton Featherbed Frame and Triumph T110 motor, Aluminium gas- and oil tank, Aluminium wheels, new instrumentation, new fot pegs, Amal MK2 carbs, Tommaselli handles and throttle roll. Brakes from newer Triumph/BSA."

I very much love that 49HP was considered very fast back in the day, and the bikes basically self destructed if ridden very hard.

On the flip side, these days you can buy a 5 year old literbike for 4k or so and get 3x the HP with valve check intervals equal to the rebuild interval on a bike like that ridden in anger. A Duke 390 is faster, puts out 90% of the power, and will outhandle the thing any day of the week. Beautiful.

Truly, we are blessed.

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

This finally got pulled out of the storage unit after a year of being listed everywhere between $1,500 and $10,000.

Go buy that.

Minkee
Dec 20, 2004

Fat Chicks Love Me

El Jebus posted:

http://palmsprings.craigslist.org/mcy/5166318309.html

Careful everyone, this guy "knows what he has". Might even be willing to kill you in front of your dog.

A boring dad bike?

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Unless you're chuckling at the surprised way Wikipedia describes a known and obvious inbuilt limit on engine speed, I'm not sure what you're finding funny. It's why engines have rev limiters (at least they have done since it became practical to put them on).

Gorgeous bike though and if I ever get a garage and some spare time something like that will definitely be in my life.

I just find it funny that they made an engine that by default almost straddled that limit instead of making it a little more sedate.

Backov
Mar 28, 2010
Thinking about my first Il Monstro.

http://motos.coches.net/ocasion/ducati/monster_695/2006-en-valencia-5880469.htm

It's a 2006 695 with 33000km. He says he changed the timing belts at 29k. No idea what that means on a duc.

Do they all have these little shorty handlebars? I thought they had more of a standard riding position, but those look like they are going to force me to hump the tank.

EDIT: It's a 695, not a 696 - so I guess that means it has the dry clutch, and not the wet clutch that the 696 has? According to wiki the one with the wet clutch was launched in 2008.

Backov fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Aug 16, 2015

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Minkee posted:

A boring dad bike?
A once good touring bike with a bad fairing and a bad seat and a bad centerstand?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Supradog posted:

I just find it funny that they made an engine that by default almost straddled that limit instead of making it a little more sedate.

No seriously just about any motorbike engine before the late sixties (and quite a few well into the early eighties) had no rev limiter and so could grenade themselves like that. Take the rev limiter off the most Honda-est of Honda engines and the same thing will happen somewhere around 20k rpm (assuming some other component like the valvetrain doesn't fail first). The only reason this was an issue on the hotter Triumph engines was they had good enough fueling and ignition to actually reach that limit - most other bikes needed a really lovely downshift (part of the reason you're taught to let the clutch out on each downshift) to get up to that limit.

It's a tribute to the incredible increases in material sciences of the last few decades that people aren't even slightly surprised by the fact that even a relatively docile engine will be accelerating its pistons from 0 to 60 and back to zero thousands of times a minute, experiencing way over a hundred g in the process. Try calculating the forces your valve stems have to deal with, it's a miracle an engine even turns over let alone happily revs up past 10k rpm.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Backov posted:

Thinking about my first Il Monstro.

http://motos.coches.net/ocasion/ducati/monster_695/2006-en-valencia-5880469.htm

It's a 2006 695 with 33000km. He says he changed the timing belts at 29k. No idea what that means on a duc.

Do they all have these little shorty handlebars? I thought they had more of a standard riding position, but those look like they are going to force me to hump the tank.

EDIT: It's a 695, not a 696 - so I guess that means it has the dry clutch, and not the wet clutch that the 696 has? According to wiki the one with the wet clutch was launched in 2008.

All ducatis have a pretty aggressive seating position - take a sit on one before you commit.

Timing belts are normal maintenance on a ducati, as they use rubber belts over a chain.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Dutymode posted:

I should stop browsing CL for at least a couple months after getting a new bike.

http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/mcy/5163166987.html

Would you be willing to go look at that for me? I am coming down to Milwaukee in a couple weeks to take my kid to college. I miss my 95 VFR.

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008
I'm in Chicago so it would be a bit of a hike. I could maybe do it next weekend or something though. I bet the odometer has rolled over, though.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Dutymode posted:

I'm in Chicago so it would be a bit of a hike. I could maybe do it next weekend or something though. I bet the odometer has rolled over, though.

No worries, if it was just around the block, but not if you have to cross state lines. Plus it would cost you like $12 in tolls :v:

Also I totally missed that odo. Too many miles, methinks.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Britain had some dumb engine capacity taxing laws that only took into account bore diameter without measuring stroke. They would measure the bore and multiply it by a fixed number to estimate the horsepower, then tax according to that. It worked fine when engines were really inefficient, but engines got better and eventually to try to keep performance climbing without paying more in tax they got longer and longer strokes. :britain:

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
http://www.cycletrader.com/listing/2008-Suzuki-Dr-Z-400SM-115360724

Wish I could find something like this near me. Everyone around Boston with a decade old DRZ apparently thinks they're worth $4500+.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Slim Pickens posted:

Britain had some dumb engine capacity taxing laws that only took into account bore diameter without measuring stroke. They would measure the bore and multiply it by a fixed number to estimate the horsepower, then tax according to that. It worked fine when engines were really inefficient, but engines got better and eventually to try to keep performance climbing without paying more in tax they got longer and longer strokes. :britain:

We dumped those laws not long after WW2 - long strokes were kept well into the sixties for quite a lot of reasons, mostly because the valvetrain and heavier pistons (and the p-twin layout that was still the preferred layout for most Brit bikes) were still a pretty heavy restriction on peak revs so going oversquare didn't give much of an advantage.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
Thinking I really need a dual sport - but I don't really wanna spend more than $2,000.

how are these guys?

91 klr250
http://cnj.craigslist.org/mcy/5140325254.html

nicer 92 klr250
http://newjersey.craigslist.org/mcy/5173574598.html

suspiciously cheap 2012 tw200
http://newyork.craigslist.org/que/mcy/5171084441.html

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
If the TW isn't a scam (how could it not be?), you need to get it right now right now.

I had a much newer klr250 (07, i think), that I paid 1500 for. Those are probably way over priced. The bike itself wasn't bad, and I admittedly had a rough example, but gently caress kickstart only forever. Pass on that reason alone. Otherwise it had plenty of power for highway or backroads, and seemed like a durable bike.

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008
http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/mcy/5153361126.html

OK for real no more craigslist for me.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

These pregnancy-induced giveaways need a name.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

Coydog posted:

If the TW isn't a scam (how could it not be?), you need to get it right now right now.

I had a much newer klr250 (07, i think), that I paid 1500 for. Those are probably way over priced. The bike itself wasn't bad, and I admittedly had a rough example, but gently caress kickstart only forever. Pass on that reason alone. Otherwise it had plenty of power for highway or backroads, and seemed like a durable bike.

That TW has either been crashed, stolen, or both. Missing part of the dash, the ignition is missing, suspicious wiring etc, etc...

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Skreemer posted:

That TW has either been crashed, stolen, or both. Missing part of the dash, the ignition is missing, suspicious wiring etc, etc...

Seems fine as long as they have title in hand and will tell you the bin so you can run the stolen vin lookup. they don't/won't

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
There is a brand new one still at the dealership near me (Philadelphia), they ask me what do I want to pay for it. The bike is 4 years old, never sold. If anyone is interested, I can give details.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

drat good thing I don't live a few hours north. Bike seems remarkably complete and in reasonable shape from the photos for $900 :canada:

Can't imagine the unobtainaium if anything other than normal maintenance poo poo is needed though.
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-sport-bikes/calgary/1982-yamaha-xj650-seca-turbo-must-sell/1095111026?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true