Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Does that mean it's going to be not rapey? I don't know anything about Cthulhutech other than it's Lovecraftian horror in a cyberpunk setting with lots of rape.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Len posted:

Does that mean it's going to be not rapey? I don't know anything about Cthulhutech other than it's Lovecraftian horror in a cyberpunk setting with lots of rape.
It was also weirdly nonfunctional. They had mech classes with no way to build a mech, for one.

I think there's a F&F writeup.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Splicer posted:

It was also weirdly nonfunctional. They had mech classes with no way to build a mech, for one.

I think there's a F&F writeup.
There is, and you're right. Another highlight I recall is that you can get a crit fail and a crit success on the same roll, because what determines a crit fail and a crit success are two totally different things.

Ewen Cluney
May 8, 2012

Ask me about
Japanese elfgames!

Helical Nightmares posted:

I thought Retail Magic was your take on a tabletop Recettear. Or was that something else?
I had the idea to do a silly thing about the staff at a magic item shop years before Recettear existed (I ran it a couple times using Risus), and I revived the idea when I decided to try to do something non-pervy with the Maid RPG rules. I ended up playing Recettear and incorporating some ideas from it after I started on Retail Magic, and I still need to figure out how I'm going to implement the "Commerce Rules" that'll let you do a retail shop simulation in addition to the silliness.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Reene posted:

IIRC in my playthrough Lolita was one of the things I got (we random rolled for it) and I just treated it like the Japanese fashion trend because that's probably what it's actually meant to be
I remember reading the game when it was new and "what the hell is this" and uh. No. No, it is not about the fashion trend.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Yawgmoth posted:

There is, and you're right. Another highlight I recall is that you can get a crit fail and a crit success on the same roll, because what determines a crit fail and a crit success are two totally different things.
Nah that's pretty cool, as long as a crit success and a crit fail have different, independent effects. "You nuked that guy superhard but also blew out your coolant tank" is a good game thing. I have no idea what the crit successes and fails did in that game though, but based on the rest of the game I assume they involve rape in some manner.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Splicer posted:

Nah that's pretty cool, as long as a crit success and a crit fail have different, independent effects. "You nuked that guy superhard but also blew out your coolant tank" is a good game thing. I have no idea what the crit successes and fails did in that game though, but based on the rest of the game I assume they involve rape in some manner.

Hastur's faction that took over Europe and Asia was literally called "The Rapine Storm".

The other salient problem with CthulhuTech was that the adventure(s) written allowed no player agency at all. At least that is what I got from the F and F review. Here is a bunch of horrible and sick stuff you have to witness and you can do nothing about it. It was less of an adventure and more of a poorly written sick hentai fanfic.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Splicer posted:

Nope. It was presented in the nWoD "failed and also broke everything", "failed", "succeeded", "succeeded so hard it made something else easier" sort of style. I mean, you could probably figure out some sort of complicated success style thing but as written it just reeked of "we didn't playtest this at all."

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Yawgmoth posted:

Nope. It was presented in the nWoD "failed and also broke everything", "failed", "succeeded", "succeeded so hard it made something else easier" sort of style. I mean, you could probably figure out some sort of complicated success style thing but as written it just reeked of "we didn't playtest this at all."
Why do I keep giving people the benefit of the doubt :sigh:

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?

gradenko_2000 posted:

Some nice nominees in there. Schoolgirl RPG, Base Raiders, Blueholme I'm all familiar with.

Awesome! Random fun fact - on the Base Raiders website, I posted about super soldier drugs once during the Kickstarter. To this day, random people find the website, think I'm describing real drugs and volunteer to 'test them out' http://www.baseraiders.com/2012/11/04/compound-b13-and-other-super-soldier-drugs/

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

clockworkjoe posted:

Awesome! Random fun fact - on the Base Raiders website, I posted about super soldier drugs once during the Kickstarter. To this day, random people find the website, think I'm describing real drugs and volunteer to 'test them out' http://www.baseraiders.com/2012/11/04/compound-b13-and-other-super-soldier-drugs/

:psyduck:

Unsure if trolling.

Helical Nightmares fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Aug 18, 2015

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Evil Mastermind posted:

The 2014 Indie RPG Awards nominees have been announced. It's a pretty eclectic mix, but there's some cool stuff in there.

Read "The Few" earlier today. Very nice, if a bit too simple.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

Littlefinger posted:

Will it eventually end up on dtrpg, though? That would be nice.

Hey, I didn't reply to this because I was out of town and not keeping up. But yeah, I'm doing PoD through Drive thru and the PDF will be there too.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

:psyduck:

Unsure if trolling.

I can't tell either but I love every single comment there. It reminds me of the time when I learned that Delta Green has been worked into conspiracy theories

Littlefinger
Oct 13, 2012

Jimbozig posted:

Hey, I didn't reply to this because I was out of town and not keeping up. But yeah, I'm doing PoD through Drive thru and the PDF will be there too.
Wonderful, I can't wait.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

clockworkjoe posted:

I can't tell either but I love every single comment there. It reminds me of the time when I learned that Delta Green has been worked into conspiracy theories

You can't just say this without a link.

Adam Scott Glancy and the rest of the Pagan team must be so proud :allears:

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

And they wonder why anime fans are socially shunned.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UUcGZ2u4Q1c

"I want it to be known that this character is named after the protagonist in the first hentai I've ever seen."

"That's cute, in a creepy way."

:stare:

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Evil Mastermind posted:

The 2014 Indie RPG Awards nominees have been announced. It's a pretty eclectic mix, but there's some cool stuff in there.

some interesting games on there, anyone have Cold Steel Wardens, cause that seems the most interesting one there to me

also on the topic of Cthulhutech, it's one of those things where the basic idea is solid, and it had a lot of interesting ideas, but turned out to be a mess, supposedly they're going to be doing a reboot with a new system in the relatively near future, and hopefully they'll both trim out the stupid parts and have a system that's actually functional(might run something in a modified version of Cthulhutech's setting using Battle Century G for the rules though)

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

:tvtropes:

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Boy I sure hope Romney doesn't win the election!

drrockso20 posted:

some interesting games on there, anyone have Cold Steel Wardens, cause that seems the most interesting one there to me

also on the topic of Cthulhutech, it's one of those things where the basic idea is solid, and it had a lot of interesting ideas, but turned out to be a mess, supposedly they're going to be doing a reboot with a new system in the relatively near future, and hopefully they'll both trim out the stupid parts and have a system that's actually functional(might run something in a modified version of Cthulhutech's setting using Battle Century G for the rules though)

I liked that the servants of Shub Niggurath were literally sexy furries.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Is there any context in which you don't like sexy furries?

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
My sister posted a craigslist link on my Facebook timeline:

quote:

D&D Dungeon Master
compensation: $100.00 per session
employment type: part-time

A Westside family is looking for a Dungeon master to play Dungeons and Dragons with 4-5 kids every Sunday from 1-5. Must be an expert at the game and like kids . The pay is $100.00. Please respond with a resume.

:3:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

$100 a session? poo poo, even I'd run D&D for that.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Ewen Cluney posted:

I had the idea to do a silly thing about the staff at a magic item shop years before Recettear existed (I ran it a couple times using Risus), and I revived the idea when I decided to try to do something non-pervy with the Maid RPG rules. I ended up playing Recettear and incorporating some ideas from it after I started on Retail Magic, and I still need to figure out how I'm going to implement the "Commerce Rules" that'll let you do a retail shop simulation in addition to the silliness.

I certainly think there is a market for editing or refining ideas from other games. Sine Nomine did a great job reimagining Traveller in Stars Without Number and using that as a launch pad for exploring other genres. Ettin's Nyarlanthotech (sp?) was a hack of Cthulhutech with the aim to remove all the stupidity and I think that had merit. So as much as I detest anime and the fanbase of drooling amorphous manchildren, cleaning up the Maid RPG rules into something that doesn't involve rolling for lolita is also useful.

I haven't seen a full magic shop simulator table top game, and I think the idea is very cool and has a lot of potential. Whether you design a full simulator of a fantasy economy or reduce supply and demand scarcity to a series of tables (or both!) I'm interested to see what you come up with.

On the subject of modeling business, Caleb Stokes' Red Markets will have some very interesting negotiation mechanics. At this moment in the Red Market's beta they are one of the most gritty and bleak systems I've ever come across but I'm certain they could be adapted to any number of different genres.

In a magic retail shop I could also imagine bidding wars for a rare object or perhaps stock at a wholesale marketplace. This brings to mind the Auction rules in Kenneth Hite's Bookhounds of London.

And if you design a full system for a retail magic shop economy and rules for interacting with gear hunting adventurers why stop there?

How about running a shop on a space station?

Or applying the rules to a goodfella who is trying turn a profit running a Speakeasy in the 1930's and has to make border runs to Canada to keep his stock full?

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

Galaga Galaxian posted:

It's technically only $20/hr, but it was really tempting if the location in question wasn't a three hour round trip. Also, kids playing d&d :allears:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Captain Walker posted:

Also, kids playing d&d :allears:

There are much better RPGs kids could be playing IMO.

Personally, I'd see if the parent(s) were dedicated on D&D or if its just a case of "thats what they know". I'd probably do something like Ryuutama.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Golden Sky Stories? I keep hearing that's a good game for kiddos.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
I keep hearing the same. Won an Indy award on the previous page too.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Even if it was pathfinder?

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

Galaga Galaxian posted:

There are much better RPGs kids could be playing IMO.

Personally, I'd see if the parent(s) were dedicated on D&D or if its just a case of "thats what they know". I'd probably do something like Ryuutama.

I totally agree, I meant more like, " kids getting into the hobby in general" :allears:

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Potsticker posted:

Even if it was pathfinder?
Excuse me, the ad said D&D. :smugwizard:

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Exactly.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

dwarf74 posted:

Excuse me, the ad said D&D. :smugwizard:

So not 4th edition then? :(

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

It could just be D&D because thats the only thing that exists to the parents. The kids could also be teens and the parents just want them to shuttup.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

moths posted:

Exactly.

ftfy

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

no please no

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Boy I sure hope Romney doesn't win the election!

that'd be one of the things I'd be changing/throwing out

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

You can't just say this without a link.

Adam Scott Glancy and the rest of the Pagan team must be so proud :allears:

It was on Glancy's Facebook wall months ago. I can't find it via Google now.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Reene posted:

no please no
_________________________/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Error 404 posted:

_________________________/