Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Throwing in a recommendation for No Such Thing As A Fish (http://drinkmyurine.co.uk/podcast), even if you're not a fan of QI (why wouldn't you be?) each week they present four obscure, fascinating QI-esque facts in a really funny, informative way. There's like 70 30-45 minute episodes to go through right now and they're still going strong. Great fun to listen to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I tried Adventure Zone and Friends at the Table based on this thread. They're kind of polar opposites of gaming but both good.

Friends at the Table seems both mechanics focused, and taking the roleplay serious (although not so serious to not have some jokes). Adventure Zone, D&D is just sort of a loose anchor for them to goof around with each other, but it's really enjoyable goofing around.

Kamakaze9
Jun 11, 2005
Hey you guys!!

Rick posted:

I tried Adventure Zone and Friends at the Table based on this thread. They're kind of polar opposites of gaming but both good.

Friends at the Table seems both mechanics focused, and taking the roleplay serious (although not so serious to not have some jokes). Adventure Zone, D&D is just sort of a loose anchor for them to goof around with each other, but it's really enjoyable goofing around.

Thanks, I'll check out friends at the table. I absolutely love the adventure zone but I'm not opposed to a more rigid game.

Contrecoup
Mar 30, 2015

Spaced God posted:

I like informative/historic/sometimes comedic podcasts. The big ones I like are Caustic Soda, Hardcore History, This American Life etc.

I'm sure it's been mentioned already, but The Futility Closet would be a good fit addition to that list. It took them a few episodes to really find their format so the early episodes can feel a bit scattered, but the format is now a main weird or forgotten history (with as much backing from primary sources as could be found), a second segment of updates on previous episodes, write-ins and little things that couldn't be a full episode, and then a "lateral thinking puzzle" which is mostly schadenfreude from Greg Ross being stumped by a really simple puzzle because he doesn't think outside the box enough.

Trier
Aug 8, 2011

Stupid Newbie
This is probably a super obscure thing to ask about but I'll try anyway. Is there a philosophy podcast that deals more with philosophically debating, rather than debating philosophy?

What I mean by this is, a lot of philosophy podcasts involve debating something someone else thought / wrote about, they'll talk about Kierkegaard in relation to religion or discuss what Nietzsche wrote on this that or the other and it's all very old and dusty. Did anyone ever sit down and talk about the philosophical implications of something currently topical?

I tried listening to The Partially Examined Life, and while I enjoyed every time they criticized the study of philosophy as a circlejerk, they also just ended up retreading the same ground and beating the same dead horse.

Juche Couture
Feb 3, 2007

Trier posted:

This is probably a super obscure thing to ask about but I'll try anyway. Is there a philosophy podcast that deals more with philosophically debating, rather than debating philosophy?

What I mean by this is, a lot of philosophy podcasts involve debating something someone else thought / wrote about, they'll talk about Kierkegaard in relation to religion or discuss what Nietzsche wrote on this that or the other and it's all very old and dusty. Did anyone ever sit down and talk about the philosophical implications of something currently topical?

I tried listening to The Partially Examined Life, and while I enjoyed every time they criticized the study of philosophy as a circlejerk, they also just ended up retreading the same ground and beating the same dead horse.

The only thing I can think of is the BBC Moral Maze, which is a radio show (here in the UK) that's also available as a podcast. I personally find it tremendously annoying, though.

Trier
Aug 8, 2011

Stupid Newbie

Juche Couture posted:

The only thing I can think of is the BBC Moral Maze, which is a radio show (here in the UK) that's also available as a podcast. I personally find it tremendously annoying, though.

I'll check it out, thanks. Why do you find it annoying?

Juche Couture
Feb 3, 2007

I'll admit my hatred goes slightly beyond the rational, but basically it's the worst aspects of British radio "debate" (wildly veering off point, talking past each other, specious reasoning), and you're often forced to listen to a lot more of noted public moron Melanie Phillips than is good for your health.

Maybe you'll like it more than I do!

Captain Capacitor
Jan 21, 2008

The code you say?
The latest Sword and Scale starts with the host saying he's a bit burnt out and is going to take a break, but then just spends the majority of the episode playing the Jonestown tapes.

Bulkiest Toaster
Jan 22, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Seems like he has been going that way for awhile. I remember a recent podcast where he basically said he needs more people listening to the show to make it worth his time to do.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Captain Capacitor posted:

The latest Sword and Scale starts with the host saying he's a bit burnt out and is going to take a break, but then just spends the majority of the episode playing the Jonestown tapes.

Easy way to get past the hump of feeling burnt out. The amount of research he's got to do has to put a serious strain on his free time, especially since he's avoiding covering the usual suspects.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!

rotinaj posted:

Easy way to get past the hump of feeling burnt out. The amount of research he's got to do has to put a serious strain on his free time, especially since he's avoiding covering the usual suspects.

He has said before that he has a few people working with him. I don't see why he doesn't have them do a short episode or two during his vacation.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
How can he possibly put out an episode without his moralizing and his personal opinions? The sword and scale listeners expect him to shittily justify killing the poo poo out of the insane.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!

rotinaj posted:

How can he possibly put out an episode without his moralizing and his personal opinions? The sword and scale listeners expect him to shittily justify killing the poo poo out of the insane.

Livestream HNL

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)
Any recommendations for podcasts about ordinary people telling true stories from their lives? I tried Mortified, but those episodes are only 12-15 minutes and they only have a 20 episode backlog. Risk! is a pretty much what I want, but the host is unbearable levels of irritating. Anything similar?

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009
I love Risk! and I agree. I just fast forward through the intro and the hosts bits between stories.

Kamakaze9
Jun 11, 2005
Hey you guys!!

User-Friendly posted:

Any recommendations for podcasts about ordinary people telling true stories from their lives? I tried Mortified, but those episodes are only 12-15 minutes and they only have a 20 episode backlog. Risk! is a pretty much what I want, but the host is unbearable levels of irritating. Anything similar?

I assume you are aware of This American Life and to a lesser extent RadioLab? Another well done one with a crime slant is Criminal, though it's quite a bit shorter and takes them awhile to come out with new stuff. After listing to a few episodes, you'll realize why. The people involved go through a lot to get the information and interviews.

I'll have to check out risk!

e: After looking at Risk!, I'm not sure those are quite what you're looking for.

Kamakaze9 fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Jul 30, 2015

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator

User-Friendly posted:

I mean, there's not much backlog either, but as an lover of my national radio I feel compelled to recommend Confession Booth. It doesn't have its own page, but you can find it in iTunes. I don't listen voraciously to this genre of podcasts (or any fiction podcasts at all), but from the one episode I listened to (Annaliese Constable), it seems like a good listen.

It's an Australian podcast, though, so maybe there's cultural difference?

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.

User-Friendly posted:

Try Love + Radio maybe. I haven't heard the two podcasts you referenced to know if it fits, but its definitely (relatively) normal telling stories about themselves into a microphone.

Wake_N_Bake
Dec 5, 2003

I love to argue by using all caps. I feel it helps keep people from noticing that I have little or nothing to add to any given conversation. I also
Love + Radio, The Moth, Radio Diaries, The Heart, Strangers.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!
I'm giving Last Podcast on the Left a try. Four episodes in and the hosts are the two most unlikable, homophobic, slightly racist, assholes I've listened to. Does the format change or do they say the same?

Bulkiest Toaster
Jan 22, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Mr Hootington posted:

I'm giving Last Podcast on the Left a try. Four episodes in and the hosts are the two most unlikable, homophobic, slightly racist, assholes I've listened to. Does the format change or do they say the same?

The show is entirely based on their inappropriate humor. It doesn't really change.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!

Bulkiest Toaster posted:

The show is entirely based on their inappropriate humor. It doesn't really change.

I like inappropriate humor. Dollop, MBMBAM, all D&D podcasts. Maybe this one just made me reach my limit.

There are some interesting episodes later on it looks like. Maybe I'll check those out before dropping it. Was going in with high hopes on this podcast. It sounded great.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Mr Hootington posted:

No, they stay exactly the same. If you want something like it but not as bad, try Stuff They Don't Want You To Know. It's the exact same kind of conspiracy theory podcast, but it doesn't have hosts who slay themselves making parody voices(Especially ones that are really, really bad). Instead, they're two generic white guys in their twenties who are just kinda pleasant.

Thinking Sideways is another good one with generally funny people who don't feel the urge to do what the LPotL guys do. I wish they'd knock it off with that kind of stuff, because when they're just cracking jokes, they're a little funnier. When they really get going in a bit, it turns awful, because Henry has lovely voices.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-Qm-cO8Axw

Henry is just not good, all around. He's really the problem, of the three hosts. Ben and the other guy are either alright or at least a little more chill. Henry's trying to do the Chris Farley way too hard.

If you want investigative stuff that seems like it should be conspiracy theories, but just is telling you that poo poo be hosed, Reveal is pretty kickin' rad so far.

As for the guy looking for a storytelling show, The Lapse is good. I'm going to be checking out Love + Radio, but it looks good in concept.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
This is a bit of a weird request but if anyone knows, it's you guys.

I want to listen to what everyone is talking about with regards to Windows 10. I don't need technical rundowns but rather the gossip on the street, tweaks, warnings, new discoveries in the privacy game, etc. A podcast about operating systems or windows in particular, whatever.

Kind of like a This Week in Tech but focused on W10.

e: look at that, TWiT actually does a Windows Weekly podcast. I'll take any suggestions you've got though.

Zigmidge fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Aug 4, 2015

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!

rotinaj posted:

No, they stay exactly the same. If you want something like it but not as bad, try Stuff They Don't Want You To Know. It's the exact same kind of conspiracy theory podcast, but it doesn't have hosts who slay themselves making parody voices(Especially ones that are really, really bad). Instead, they're two generic white guys in their twenties who are just kinda pleasant.

Thinking Sideways is another good one with generally funny people who don't feel the urge to do what the LPotL guys do. I wish they'd knock it off with that kind of stuff, because when they're just cracking jokes, they're a little funnier. When they really get going in a bit, it turns awful, because Henry has lovely voices.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-Qm-cO8Axw

Henry is just not good, all around. He's really the problem, of the three hosts. Ben and the other guy are either alright or at least a little more chill. Henry's trying to do the Chris Farley way too hard.

If you want investigative stuff that seems like it should be conspiracy theories, but just is telling you that poo poo be hosed, Reveal is pretty kickin' rad so far.

As for the guy looking for a storytelling show, The Lapse is good. I'm going to be checking out Love + Radio, but it looks good in concept.

Yeah I dropped LPOTL. Just isn't my thing.

Stuff They Don't Want You To Know is pretty good. Only complaints are they guys want to break out and go into batshit crazy land, but always reign it in.

Reveal looks good. Will add that and give it a try.

I want to give a shot out to Glass Cannon. It is a pretty funny real play Pathfinder. They actually do rolling too! It is good.

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
I want a politics/news podcast. Not dry and informative, but not necessarily "funny" either. Left-leaning would be nice. Something with punditry, but well-informed, reasonable punditry.

Basically this election season is crazy, the Bugle has stopped updating, and The Rachel Maddow Show has helped me commiserate with the craziness a bit, but I want more.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.

quadrophrenic posted:

I want a politics/news podcast. Not dry and informative, but not necessarily "funny" either. Left-leaning would be nice. Something with punditry, but well-informed, reasonable punditry.

Basically this election season is crazy, the Bugle has stopped updating, and The Rachel Maddow Show has helped me commiserate with the craziness a bit, but I want more.

You could try Podcast for America. It's hosted by Annie Lowrey (New York magazine), Alex Wagner (MSNBC) and Mark Leibovich (New York Times Magazine), so yeah, it's leftish. I wouldn't call it funny, per se, but it's fairly informal and generally thoughtful. It's specifically about the run up to the US election so most of the content is related to that in some way.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

quadrophrenic posted:

Best of the Left is a ~2x weekly gathering of commentary and clips from various left-leaning news shows.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

quadrophrenic posted:

new yorker political scene

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!

quadrophrenic posted:

Our National Conversations about Conversations about Race- race issues. Uncomfortable for the whites, but is good
Amicus- Supreme Court news. Dry but you learn a ton about the court.
On point with Tom Ashbrook- NPR topic show which is excellent when Tom is doing the show. Can usually pass if it is a guest host.
New Yorker Political Scene- talks about one thing recently covered in the New Yorker. Makes you consider getting it.
slate Political Gabfest- 3 ivory tower liberals. 1 can be funny. 1 knows legal poo poo, but won't shut up about kid. 1 is a political junkie who knows his poo poo. 2 of them climb up their asses each episode.
Podcast for America- funnier Political Gabfest with less rear end climbing. Less informative though.
Ken Rudins's Political junkie- dad humor, political history, interesting interviews.
On the Media- calls out the media and points out their BS. At times needs to be called out too.
Slate whistlestop- historical stories from the presidential campaigns. Some are eerily similar to today.
5 Sunday shows. Fox News Sunday, meet the press, face the nation, this week, state of the Union- listen to interviews with candidates each week and laugh at the panels. Could skip this week since it is total garbage. Also gives you a heads up on the comin week talking points.

Avoid anything with the HuffPo connections. All are garbage. Also try to find a something from your state like a public radio news show to stay up on local too.

I will also toss Democracy Now out there as something different, but it is activist news and can get annoying at times. It is interesting, but sometimes you just have to ask "How is this going to fix that problem?"

I have yet to find a decent foreign affairs/policy (should go with bbc) or economic related podcast.

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

here's the thing donovan, I'm always hungry

Mr Hootington posted:

slate Political Gabfest- 3 ivory tower liberals. 1 can be funny. 1 knows legal poo poo, but won't shut up about kid. 1 is a political junkie who knows his poo poo. 2 of them climb up their asses each episode.

Is it a thing with Slate podcasts to have one incredibly insufferable guy? I can't even get through the Culture podcast they have. Though I suppose the sports one has 3 decent guys.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Their Whistlestop podcast is really good. Can't speak for the rest, never tried 'em.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

TheModernAmerican posted:

Is it a thing with Slate podcasts to have one incredibly insufferable guy?

I see you've met Mike Pesca

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!

TheModernAmerican posted:

Is it a thing with Slate podcasts to have one incredibly insufferable guy? I can't even get through the Culture podcast they have. Though I suppose the sports one has 3 decent guys.

A lot of them are New York or beltway pundits so it is more surprising that they are not all insufferable.

Captain Capacitor
Jan 21, 2008

The code you say?
Does anyone have a suggestion for a podcast that's a pen-and-paper game, only not D&D? I know of the 13th age podcast, but I'm looking for others not in the D&D system.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Friends at the Table did Dungeon World and are now doing MechNoir :)

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I want a podcast that focuses on similar topics to 99% Invisible, but is longer (30m or more). Anything like that exist?

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky

Captain Capacitor posted:

Does anyone have a suggestion for a podcast that's a pen-and-paper game, only not D&D? I know of the 13th age podcast, but I'm looking for others not in the D&D system.

Campaign is a 40+ episode campaign playing Star Wars: Edge of the Empire, and it's the best actual play podcast being made right now. I say this as a person who loves the one I make and listens to plenty of others: http://www.oneshotpodcast.com/category/campaign/campaign-podcast/

A scumbag smuggler who is probably illiterate, a bounty hunter with a romance novel addiction and no regard for human life, and an ex clone trooper/drug-addicted ghost hunter try to raise a five-year-old orphan as they run from the budding Empire. It includes a roughly even mix of firefights, deception, diversions, and breadsticks. The crew is made of Chicago-trained improvisers and it carries over in a great way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

I have no idea what I'm doing.
Anyone know any good episodic podcasts/bbc radio? Similar too, Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy,Ruby,We're Alive, and Wormwood. Sci-Fi is a plus but not required I'm up for anything good.

Also, anything similar to The F Plus? Like a group of people who read odd stuff on the internet or somewhere else.

Anyway thanks, tried reading through most of thread but I apologized in advance if this type of question has been asked before.