Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

Bulk Vanderhuge posted:

GF and I will be driving to Vancouver for vacation in a couple of weeks. The itinerary is still up in the air but we'll be stopping at the Royal Tyrell Museum for sure (for the second time since the town was in a state of emergency the last time we came) and Lethbridge maybe (I want to pick up some sound deadener from BQuiet.)

Any recommendations for places to camp/things to see? Last time we bummed around Edmonton and camped at Dinosaur Provincial Park.
When you're in Drumheller there are some fantastic badlands especially to the east of town down the river. There's some great turnouts to see hoodoos along the highway; Highway 10X is a short spur that goes through a nice little desert valley; and the Atlas Coal Mine is a worthwhile stop depending on your interest in mines and stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp
Thanks for the recommendations guys, we're going to look into everything and see what we can fit in :cool:

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Any idea where I can buy Wurth stuff? My kart bearings are pretty bad and I'm trying to get through the race this weekend without pulling the axle apart and they've got a pretty good spray lube.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

If you are looking for some sort of magic elixir in a can, Superlube is probably about as close as you're going to get. Not sure if I'd trust any spray as a temporary lube for a race, but their stuff is really good. The general tube grease too.

http://www.super-lube.com/super-lube-multipurpose-aerosol-ezp-68.html
http://www.super-lube.com/files/pdfs/super_lube_catalog.pdf

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Yeah that looks pretty close to the Wurth stuff. Sprays on then gels up.

More or less going to be respraying it after every session. Got some decent mileage using my dad's old Wurth stuff. WD-40 lasted about three laps before the bearings started making noise again.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

That's in no small part because WD-40 isn't much of a lubricant. :buddy:

The Superlube also has PTFE suspended in it.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Yeah the WD40 was just what somebody had on hand and I was doing one last session for the night. Figured anything is better than nothing.

Where can I buy the Super Lube stuff?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Do you have a puro or dhl acct you can use? I'll send you a can if I can ship it collect.

The only other location I have that has it in Alberta is Calgary.

Not sure who else sells it maybe acklands or Gregg's.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Acklands carries it - if you're near Edmonton I can use my discount and pick up a few cans. MSRP list is $20 so I can get them for closer to $10.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Sadly no I don't have any shipping account. I'm in Calgary so that location would probably work for me. I'll check if Gregg's has it tonight. Worst case scenario I'll take my dad's can of Wurth next time I'm over there.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
Motorcycle chain lube might be worth looking into. It's designed to be sticky and resist all sorts of heat and friction

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Here's an odd question for you guys, where could you safely park a 26' moving truck for 48 hours with your entire household in it? I'm thinking one of the RV storage lots assuming they do such short stints.

Or to expand, how would you move when you have to be out of your current place on September 29 and don't take possession of the new house until October 2? Cheapest quote from a moving company was $2200 due to having to unload and load the truck into storage. I checked with PODS and they're great price wise ($550 all in) but the largest container they have is 16' and I have serious doubts that I can fit everything in to that volume.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Personally I'd park it in the locked yard of my office. Do you have any friends that work in an industrial area with a pen?

Barring that, an RV storage lot isn't a terribly bad idea but theft isn't uncommon in those either because by definition people park poo poo there for long term so caveat emptor.

8ender posted:

Motorcycle chain lube might be worth looking into. It's designed to be sticky and resist all sorts of heat and friction
That's not a crazy idea, but the super duper tackifiers in some chain & gear lube aren't really the best for a rolling element bearing but it's probably better than nothing.

e: Can you get in some real grease with an injector needle?
http://www.mastertectools.net/image_atmx/31033.jpg

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
You guys don't even know what you've awoken. You've aroused Slidebite's bearings boner.

What is done cannot be undone.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

slidebite posted:

That's not a crazy idea, but the super duper tackifiers in some chain & gear lube aren't really the best for a rolling element bearing but it's probably better than nothing.

That was initially what I was going to do but given that stuff is a bitch to clean off and how close to the ground the kart is I'm pretty sure chain lube would would just get a bunch of dirt stuck in there and cook the bearing pretty quick.

slidebite posted:

e: Can you get in some real grease with an injector needle?
http://www.mastertectools.net/image_atmx/31033.jpg

Not really enough clearance. I'm cautiously optimistic that I can get replacements cheap through the transmission supply shop on Blackfoot but the kart is handling really well and I don't want to risk loving up the alignment by taking the whole axle apart. If I'm going to have to buy through a kart supplier I'm almost certainly going to be repacking them with grease going forward. I'm probably going to look at the new bearings and see if its feasible modifying the cassettes they're held in so you can give them a quick shot from a grease gun.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Do you know what the bearings are? Like a part number?

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

slidebite posted:

Do you know what the bearings are? Like a part number?

There's a part number on the bearing. But theres also a sleeve that goes inside the bearing that you use to clamp it on to the axle that I'm assuming isn't part of the bearing itself. If I can get that sleeve off and into the new bearing without damaging it than it shouldn't be an issue. What's concerning me is pictures of the bearing in online kart stores show the sleeve as well as the bearing.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Got a link?

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

McTinkerson posted:

Here's an odd question for you guys, where could you safely park a 26' moving truck for 48 hours with your entire household in it? I'm thinking one of the RV storage lots assuming they do such short stints.

Or to expand, how would you move when you have to be out of your current place on September 29 and don't take possession of the new house until October 2? Cheapest quote from a moving company was $2200 due to having to unload and load the truck into storage. I checked with PODS and they're great price wise ($550 all in) but the largest container they have is 16' and I have serious doubts that I can fit everything in to that volume.

What part of the province? If you're within easy driving of my place you could park it on my driveway. You're up north iirc though, which is too far.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

DrakeriderCa posted:

You guys don't even know what you've awoken. You've aroused Slidebite's bearings boner.

What is done cannot be undone.
:awesome:

1500quidporsche posted:

There's a part number on the bearing. But theres also a sleeve that goes inside the bearing that you use to clamp it on to the axle that I'm assuming isn't part of the bearing itself. If I can get that sleeve off and into the new bearing without damaging it than it shouldn't be an issue. What's concerning me is pictures of the bearing in online kart stores show the sleeve as well as the bearing.

I did a google search of "kart axle bearings" and most I see look like the photo I attached below. Assuming that's it, that "sleeve" is actually the inner race of the bearing and it certainly does not come off, or if it does you are having a bad day.

Basically made for a slip fit on a shaft and then you tighten down the 2 setscrews.

Depending on what one you have, I could almost certainly tell you what you can do to get for a greasable style. You do need to be careful greasing them though as if you over do it you can easily blow the seals right off the bearing. Generally, I recommend the sealed/non-greasable bearings because it's far easier for people to over grease them which causes more harm than anything, especially if the grease cannot purge and escape the bearing.

Alternatively, they do make bearings sort-of like that with a tapered sleeve which area available separately, but if you can link to a photo or something I can probably help you out.

Also, not all bearings are created equal. There is a massive difference in quality and brands, especially between high and low end.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

If the bearing looks like that, just drill a small hole in the plastic, and hold the end of the grease gun firmly against the hole and pump grease in. I did that to a sealed idler bearing on my mack, and it held for like 60k.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Canadian Tire actually sells a grease gun fitting that looks like a hypodermic needle for just such a purpose. I've used it to grease up lovely CV and ball joints before to limp them along

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

slidebite posted:

:awesome:

I did a google search of "kart axle bearings" and most I see look like the photo I attached below. Assuming that's it, that "sleeve" is actually the inner race of the bearing and it certainly does not come off, or if it does you are having a bad day.

Basically made for a slip fit on a shaft and then you tighten down the 2 setscrews.

Depending on what one you have, I could almost certainly tell you what you can do to get for a greasable style. You do need to be careful greasing them though as if you over do it you can easily blow the seals right off the bearing. Generally, I recommend the sealed/non-greasable bearings because it's far easier for people to over grease them which causes more harm than anything, especially if the grease cannot purge and escape the bearing.

Alternatively, they do make bearings sort-of like that with a tapered sleeve which area available separately, but if you can link to a photo or something I can probably help you out.

Also, not all bearings are created equal. There is a massive difference in quality and brands, especially between high and low end.

Yeah that's more or less what it looks like, the bearing itself is much larger on my kart but if they're common enough I have a bit more confidence in being able to find a match. My understanding talking to other people is that the bearings aren't sealed but aren't greasable for whatever reasons :iiam: If I can get a bearing that is sealed I'd honestly just go that route. I can probably get you the number on the bearing if that would work. As long as I know what to ask for I should be in good shape.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

If you can get a number, add VV to the end of that number and that's the sealed version IIRC.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Powershift posted:

If the bearing looks like that, just drill a small hole in the plastic, and hold the end of the grease gun firmly against the hole and pump grease in. I did that to a sealed idler bearing on my mack, and it held for like 60k.
I recommend against that for several reasons, not the least of which those seals are typically just rubber/plastic covered metal so you'll likely dent the shield as you try to drill it which will then probably interfere with cage rotation, let alone the whole pushing debris into the bearing with your drill bit.

If you are going to go down that road and can get close enough to use a grease gun, just use that needle I linked to earlier. You can slip the end of it between the seal lips and the inner ring.

1500quidporsche posted:

Yeah that's more or less what it looks like, the bearing itself is much larger on my kart but if they're common enough I have a bit more confidence in being able to find a match. My understanding talking to other people is that the bearings aren't sealed but aren't greasable for whatever reasons :iiam: If I can get a bearing that is sealed I'd honestly just go that route. I can probably get you the number on the bearing if that would work. As long as I know what to ask for I should be in good shape.
Get me a number, preferably right off the bearing, I'll tell you what your options are.

Tommychu posted:

If you can get a number, add VV to the end of that number and that's the sealed version IIRC.
Close. "VV" is the NSK designation (and some chinese knock-offs) for non-contact rubber seals. Not the best seal to use in an environment where you are going to encounter dust/dirt in any amount. I'd go with a full contact seal especially if it's exposed to the environment. Bearings like that don't really use designations like that for seals anyhow.

Best guess, he's got something like what we in the industry would call an "insert bearing" off of a mounted unit. These are typically available in sealed/greasable versions of various configurations for locking onto the shaft.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

McTinkerson posted:

This is probably a really dumb suggestion, but why not 2 PODS?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

slidebite posted:

Close. "VV" is the NSK designation (and some chinese knock-offs) for non-contact rubber seals. Not the best seal to use in an environment where you are going to encounter dust/dirt in any amount. I'd go with a full contact seal especially if it's exposed to the environment. Bearings like that don't really use designations like that for seals anyhow.

Jesus you're like the kastein of bearings.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Side effect of basically getting into an industry when your 19 and staying with it until fat and middle aged :bahgawd:

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
I told you guys

:flaccid:

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

I like bearings and enjoy reading about them though, so I really don't mind when slidebite gets a bearing boner.

Timmy Cruise
Jun 9, 2007
Does it point north ?

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

ExecuDork posted:

This is probably a really dumb suggestion, but why not 2 PODS?

Apart from the cost literally doubling (twice the delivery and drop off fees of $140 a pop) I don't actually have room at my current residence for a second pod. The lone 16 footer will take up my entire driveway and the neighbors get all pissy at everything I do. Good thought though. If any one of the current conditions were different, that's what I would be doing.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Timmy Cruise posted:

Does it point north ?

No, but it's really good for axial loads.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

McTinkerson posted:

Apart from the cost literally doubling (twice the delivery and drop off fees of $140 a pop) I don't actually have room at my current residence for a second pod. The lone 16 footer will take up my entire driveway and the neighbors get all pissy at everything I do. Good thought though. If any one of the current conditions were different, that's what I would be doing.

If you're moving already, do you really give a single gently caress what your neighbors think anymore? Drop a second POD on your yard. What are they gonna do, get the HOA to evict you? :v:

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Got the kart van out of storage and had a quick look. Going to need to take it out of the van so I can rotate the axle to be able to read a number off the bearing but now that I can compare it looks almost identical to what you posted slidebite.

McTinkerson posted:

Where are you staying for the two days? If it was me the best piece of mind without burning cash would be just parking the moving truck in the parking lot of whatever hotel I was staying at. There's probably enough activity throughout the night that it'll deter criminals from going for something like a moving van.

There's an RV storage lot right beside my condo and its not uncommon to walk onto the porch in the morning to see another door busted open. I wouldn't trust putting all my stuff in one of them for 48 hours.

Timmy Cruise
Jun 9, 2007

Tommychu posted:

No, but it's really good for axial loads.

So like a double tapered roller.

E: assuming it goes both ways

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Timmy Cruise posted:

Does it point north ?

That's actually a heading.

Timmy Cruise
Jun 9, 2007

MrChips posted:

That's actually a heading.

:v:

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Sequential PODS. POD 1 gets dropped off at old place empty, you fill it. PODS truck comes and swaps for POD 2, which you fill while the truck takes POD 1 to their secure yard. Then the truck picks up your POD 2 and places it at that same secure facility. Storage of full PODS is a service they provide - I had my worldly possessions in one their boxes for 4 months while I was in Australia.

On the day you gain possession of your new place, it's the same process in reverse. At no point is there ever more than a single POD on your property, old or new.

You don't have to get two PODS the same size - if you think everything will fit in a 26-foot truck, get one 16-footer and one 10-footer, save a few bucks. And a locked POD (you provide the lock) is probably more secure than a truck, anyways.

Edit: they'll drop a POD in any legal parking space. Carrying your furniture across the street is a pain, but it might save some money and other hassle.

ExecuDork fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Aug 19, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

I wonder if they'd agree to stack the PODs. They do it when they're in their storage area.