Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
http://www.mediaite.com/tv/trump-to-oreilly-the-14th-amendment-wont-hold-up-in-court/

"We need a big, beautiful wall." I can't wait to see how luxurious this wall ends up being.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Cael posted:

What do you call them? The Guamish? Guammi Bears? Guambats?

chammoro

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Patter Song posted:

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/trump-to-oreilly-the-14th-amendment-wont-hold-up-in-court/

"We need a big, beautiful wall." I can't wait to see how luxurious this wall ends up being.

Trump is sort of like Nwabudike Morgan if you took out Morgan's shrewdness and charm

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
Carly's keeping busy, but who Yelps anymore?

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Vox Nihili posted:

I hope Hillary attacks Bernie from the left on firearms. I can taste the blood already.

i hope hillary and bernie continue being cordial to each other and remain smart with the lack of inter party mud flinging, because anything that reduces the likelyhood of one of the current republican lunatics becoming president is A Good Thing

Bunleigh
Jun 6, 2005

by exmarx

Spaceman Future! posted:

Some states allow you to collect what is basically disability pay for 3 months, so a fraction of your usual pay, after jumping through a few hoops of fire in filing the paperwork.

The american workplace has detested children ever singe they were barred as labor.
My state of Rhode Island has a new thing where you can take 6 or 8 weeks to bond with a new baby and get paid 60% of your usual pay. Both parents can do it. The only other states with something similar are New Jersey and California. This is separate from the temporary disability thing.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

a few months ago i was feeling pretty lukewarm and was even midly annoyed by the idea of a hillary presidency but after taking a closer look at her republican competition im a lot more enthusiastic about her

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

The X-man cometh posted:

Saddest cry for attention ever.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
Let's assume Trump doesn't get nod and runs independent.

If he takes 25% of the dem vote and 40 rep vote from 2012 in each state, it would cause AZ/GA/NC to go blue. Indiana, Missouri, Montana, SC, and Mississippi would take weeks to call. Trump still wouldn't win any states.

If you raise the dem portion to 35 and reps stay the same, TRump could actually win

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

The X-man cometh posted:

I hope she addresses GMOs by leaving a review of Chipotle.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Zelder posted:

People in this very thread are in so deep on the Trump Express that it's making them unironically shill for him, it's ker-razy.

It's a testament to how intensely unlikable or trustworthy american politicians are that rear end in a top hat vanity campaigms by people who arent establishment politicians see such bipartisan love.

You saw and see it with the romney campaign/this round of primaries on the conservative side, and you see it now on the progressive side. Neither group are enthusiastic about establishment choices, they just vote against the side making "crazy" campaign promises.

I mean, in the past few pages someone said "I don't like hillary enough to pay 2 dollars for a bumper sticker, but I'l vote for her because she's sane [not a republican]". That's the kind of apathy one should tolerate for deciding who you want to win the superbowl, not voting for the leader of the worlds strongest and most influential country.

....and thats why wr need Sanders/Trump 2016: gently caress Career Politicians.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Pillowpants posted:

Let's assume Trump doesn't get nod and runs independent.

If he takes 25% of the dem vote and 40 rep vote from 2012 in each state, it would cause AZ/GA/NC to go blue. Indiana, Missouri, Montana, SC, and Mississippi would take weeks to call. Trump still wouldn't win any states.

If you raise the dem portion to 35 and reps stay the same, TRump could actually win

So what you're saying is we want Trump to do well, but not too well.

I think we've become Fox News. :tinfoil:

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Neurolimal posted:

It's a testament to how intensely unlikable or trustworthy american politicians are that rear end in a top hat vanity campaigms by people who arent establishment politicians see such bipartisan love.

You saw and see it with the romney campaign/this round of primaries on the conservative side, and you see it now on the progressive side. Neither group are enthusiastic about establishment choices, they just vote against the side making "crazy" campaign promises.

I mean, in the past few pages someone said "I don't like hillary enough to pay 2 dollars for a bumper sticker, but I'l vote for her because she's sane [not a republican]". That's the kind of apathy one should tolerate for deciding who you want to win the superbowl, not voting for the leader of the worlds strongest and most influential country.

Bernie has been in politics for over 30 years.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

As an independent. In one of his elections as mayor, he was up against the Democratic candidate who had been endorsed by the Republicans in order to take him out (they failed)

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Bunleigh posted:

"Jebberish"

I think someone from freep accidentally stumbled across something mildly clever

I guess you could say he's spouting a lot of...Jebber jabber.

I'll show myself out.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
Quote is not edit.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

MrBims posted:

As an independent. In one of his elections as mayor, he was up against the Democratic candidate who had been endorsed by the Republicans in order to take him out (they failed)

So as an independent in Congress, which party did he caucus with? Which party assigned him to committees? In what meaningful way was he different from a very liberal democrat?

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Jeremy Corbyn is seen as a political outsider who is neing backstabbed by his own party. He has also been in politics for decades.

The mark of a Career Politician is that of someone who sees being an elected official as a nine-to-five; You push for fiscal stances your lobbyists want, make vague promises on social stances your voters want, you collect your checks and go have a drink with the other jesters.

When people see Hillary making a liberal change-of-heart on the campaign trail as emails are released revealing internal support for Tony "loving" Blair, they see a career politician. When voters see people like Corbyn and Sanders run without a lobbyist treasure trove, bus it to events where they hold passionate speeches for anyone who comes (2700 or not), and have decades of unwavering support and action for leftist policies (even as supposed center-left parties try to backstsb them), they see a genuine supporter of their beliefs. Not a blairite or democrat.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Neurolimal posted:

I don't know where you come from but most people never give any money to a politician they vote for. It's bizarre that you take "I'm not going to buy a sticker (especially a full year plus before an election) but I'll vote" as "apathy".

I think Obama might have set a recent record of individual donations from like 10 million people? Which would be under 1/6 of the votes he got.

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

Actually the mark of a career politician is that you hold political office for most if not all your career.

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

MrBims posted:

How does this statement refute the point that someone who has been in politics for 30 years can very reasonably be considered to be a career politician?

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Dr.Zeppelin posted:

Actually the mark of a career politician is that you hold political office for most if not all your career.

I guess, if you want to be pedantic about words to describe "people are sick of politicians who dont enact popular policies when given the chance to, because thats not their real job".

What was the excuse given when the democrats had a supermajority but waffled over "bipartisanship" untill the seats rebalanced and they could safely support progressive policies again?

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

Neurolimal posted:

I guess, if you want to be pedantic about words to describe "people are sick of politicians who dont enact popular policies when given the chance to, because thats not their real job".

What was the excuse given when the democrats waffled over "bipartisanship" untill the seats rebalanced and they could safely support progressive policies again?

It's not really pedantic to point out that it's dumb to make up your own private language where well established terms have definitions you just invented.

Dahn
Sep 4, 2004

Neurolimal posted:

The mark of a Career Politician is that of someone who sees being an elected official as a nine-to-five; You push for fiscal stances your lobbyists want, make vague promises on social stances your voters want, you collect your checks and go have a drink with the other jesters.

If you have been in office most of your adult life, your a career politician. You stance on X, Y, or Z is irrelevant.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
It's cute to see someone claiming people who have near continuously held office since before I was born aren't "career politicians". And I was old enough to vote in 2008.

Reminds me of that guy who tried to claim "illegal" = "thing I dislike" (which was said about some sports thing at that).

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
I guess it's easier to argue over the specific word used, rather than face the fact that there's only one liberal in the election, and its not hillary.

(Fishmech gets a pass on this because its kinda his gimmick)

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
I don't know why Bernie has to be a Washington Outsider. He isn't running as a Republican. As far as I know his campaign never alludes to it.
Not that that stops certain of his supporters from trying that route (and Fox News from describing his campaign as based on incredible anger). :shrug:

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

James Garfield posted:

I don't know why Bernie has to be a Washington Outsider. He isn't running as a Republican. As far as I know his campaign never alludes to it.
Not that that stops certain of his supporters from trying that route (and Fox News from describing his campaign as based on incredible anger). :shrug:

yeah I'm more concerned with what's been done during a career than how long it is.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Neurolimal posted:

I guess it's easier to argue over the specific word used, rather than face the fact that there's only one liberal in the election, and its not hillary.

Yes when you say something entirely wrong, people are going to point it out, don't get your jimmies in a twist over it. Try thinking things through before you use a term that means the opposite of what people are.

It'd be like saying "people like Donald Trump because he's a leftist".

Also what are you smoking that you think hillary Clinton isn't the very model of a liberal?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

NotJesus posted:

Why would he? Since when has Donald Trump cared about what other people are saying?

He gives a tremendous amount of fucks when they're speaking Spanish.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Oh, I didn't realize they were rebooting Wonder Showzen.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

Proposition Joe posted:

I would like to see a poll that has a four way election between Sanders, Clinton, Bush, and Trump.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8bVKt25YdE

I know I've heard the music that plays toward the end of this but I can't quite place it and it's driving me crazy. I'm pretty sure it's from an 80's movie.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

I know I've heard the music that plays toward the end of this but I can't quite place it and it's driving me crazy. I'm pretty sure it's from an 80's movie.

Somebody in the comments noted that it was The Running Man, one of three movies featuring two future US Governors.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Somebody in the comments noted that it was The Running Man, one of two movies featuring two future US Governors.

Thanks. Running Man is dope and is also a very real possibility under the Trump administration.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Somebody in the comments noted that it was The Running Man, one of three movies featuring two future US Governors.

What's the third one aside from Predator?

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

colonel_korn posted:

What's the third one aside from Predator?

Technically, Arnold Schwarzenegger and Jessie Ventura were both in Batman & Robin.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

kinda wishing there was a 50's style adventure buddy comedy starring nixon and reagan

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Aliquid posted:

kinda wishing there was a 50's style adventure buddy comedy starring nixon and reagan

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

FAUXTON posted:

He gives a tremendous amount of fucks when they're speaking Spanish.

Am I having another Canadian disconnect here? Trump's immigration policy is retarded, but I don't think it's racist. Speaking for my own country, I wish we had more Latino immigrants because every single one I've met is a hard working, awesome person, but I still want them to arrive through a [simplified] immigration process instead of just wandering across the border. If illegal immigration were a significant issue in Canada, I'd expect the government to handle it instead of ignoring it.

I still don't understand how Trump's immigration policy is racist. It's dumb as gently caress to be sure, but enforcing the border cannot be racist in and of itself. Build a wall on our border for all I care; it'll help the gun smuggling problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

PT6A posted:

Am I having another Canadian disconnect here? Trump's immigration policy is retarded, but I don't think it's racist. Speaking for my own country, I wish we had more Latino immigrants because every single one I've met is a hard working, awesome person, but I still want them to arrive through a [simplified] immigration process instead of just wandering across the border. If illegal immigration were a significant issue in Canada, I'd expect the government to handle it instead of ignoring it.

I still don't understand how Trump's immigration policy is racist. It's dumb as gently caress to be sure, but enforcing the border cannot be racist in and of itself. Build a wall on our border for all I care; it'll help the gun smuggling problem.

Because he only wants to apply it to Latinos.

• Locked thread