Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
The fighter isn't doing "magic" as is typically thought of as in D&D though. No arcane gestures, no reagents, no spellbooks, no loud invocations. This is indeed the problem with shoving all supernatural abilities under "magic." The Windlord is very explicitly not a wizard. Like, they can surf their goddamn spear that they've thrown because that's just what fighters fuckin' do.

If you see some dude hurl a spear then leap onto it and ride it into battle and your first thought is "oh so like a wizard" then D&D has done something horrifying to you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

For a campaign I'm going to be GMing in a bit I plan on introducing a dwarf city following the Roman Gods. Their chief god will be Pluto as his domain includes underground wealth. This setting also has gnomes following the Egyptian pantheon. The problem I'm running into is that the death cleric in the DMG reads much more as a cleric of undeath. It just doesn't seem to make much sense for a non-evil Pluto or for Anubis. I would like to homebrew a death cleric that is more focused on death as a natural and proper part of things and who is more focused on easing the transistion and ensuring creatures pass without suffering, instead of being a necromancer light. Would anyone be able to offer suggestions of homebrews for me to look at or have some ideas on what the class should do?

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Almost seems like you want the Life archetype, but with a bit more focus on killing undead.

Though that depends on what exactly the god of the dead is supposed to embody.

Skellybones fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Aug 18, 2015

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Turtlicious posted:

Does anyone have good house rules for social situations, since apparently those are always pretty poo poo. What I'm hearing is, (and someone correct me if I'm wrong,) 4e's combat is amazing, and 5e stole a lot of the things people like about 5e and tweaked.

People hate that, ontop of that, they made the Fighter a trap class, and if you want to be a swordsman, you should pick something else.

Thanks man, I'll keep that in mind, and probably add some extra in-house rules about XP for failed rolls and the like.

Is 5e, or 4e better for a GM who plans, maybe an hour a week, if that? (and most monsters come from a hat.)

Is 5e or 4e better at "Social skills."

4th ed, hands down. 5th still does the stupid as gently caress, "this monster can cast fireball x/day, see the phb for fireball) poo poo. They're both pretty bad at social stuff.

As far as 13th Age goes, I run 13th Age, but I wouldn't want to be a player in it. As a lazy and bad DM, 13th Age is definitely the least work-intensive version of D&D I am aware of. From a player perspective though, it's a bit too options light for my taste and the imbalance is real.

odinson
Mar 17, 2009
This month's rule's explanations. FWIW I play 85% Adventurer's League(minimal houserules)(~9 abj. wiz)/15% drinking elfgames with some friends.

http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/news/rules-answers-august-2015

Class
-Action surge does not grant a bonus action: I don't recall anyone mis-interpreting this irl, but have seen it on forums. My friend does play a monk(6)/ftr(4)/light cleric(1)/?(?) hybrid character with competing bonus actions. So it might've come up.
-Archery style: d/n give bonus on thrown weapons: Makes sense RAW, but I don't see the harm allowing it otherwise
-2x monk rulings: 1st makes sense. Don't care enough to research the 2nd
-Ranger Whirlwind: They can't move between attacks. Never assumed they could. Would allow as a houserule on top of other ranger buffs

Feats
Sentinel 3rd clause. "When a creature within 5 ft makes an attack against a target other than you (who also isn't sentinel), use reaction 2 make a MWA against the attacking creature.
-"DMG, (252)" Their triggering attack resolves before you make your reaction attack, unlike opportunity attacks(or obviously counterspell).: I've never played with/as a Sent character, so I've never given it any thought. I probably would assume it applied before.

Combat:
-Delaying your turn rules. My DM lets us delay/hold actions/ready actions. I'm not exactly sure of the nuances. We use it more for cooperative skill checks and maneuvering than metagaming DPS nova poo poo.
-Help action: I have an owl familiar with flyby. I've mostly played it as such, but good to have a ruling. I've only personally used it for firebolt cantrips I believe.

Adventuring: Planar stuff: I've got nothing to contribute on the ruling.
Sidebar: Rests
I do feel like my AL group likes to abuse my Leo's tiny hut as much as possible. I never prepare it (and have to ritual cast it), so its 1min vs. 11mins. My DM is aware of this and foils it when reasonably possible and in good form. Ropetrick may be a more consistent/reliable. I just now realized the "Length of rope is "up to 60' long," so can have it 5-10' off the ground and not really worry about my whole team making several skill checks and risk falling damage before taking a rest.

Spellcasting
-If I’m a cleric/druid with the Disciple of Life feature, does the goodberry spell benefit from the feature? Yes. The Disciple of Life feature would make each berry restore 4 hit points, instead of 1, assuming you cast goodberry with a 1st-level spell slot.
-A lvl 1 spell now restores 40hp ~over time
-I'm 95% sure you can't upcast goodberry btw.
-1 life cleric/x lore bard (conjure pixies, see below) seems like a fun and versatile build.
-Can you concentrate on a spell while transformed by polymorph? You can’t cast spells while you’re transformed by polymorph, but nothing in the spell prevents you from concentrating on a spell that you cast before being transformed.
-My wiz has mage armor, mirror image, and polymorph. They stack, but I've not had the chance yet to try it out.
If you have a few rounds prep time, you can throw on another conc. spell if you have a teammate druid/bard with 'magical secrets: conjure woodland polymorph fly beasts.' Greater invis comes first to mind. Not sure what other scenario's where this ruling would take place other than the (what I would assume) rare scenario where a PC is maliciously polymorphed and is still maintaining a Conc. spell.

odinson fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Aug 18, 2015

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

quote:

Being able to delay your turn can let you wreak havoc on the durations of spells and other effects, particularly any of them that last until your next turn. Simply by changing when your turn happens, you could change the length of certain spells.

What? How?

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo

odinson posted:

This month's rule's explanations. FWIW I play 85% Adventurer's League(minimal houserules)(~9 abj. wiz)/15% drinking elfgames with some friends.

http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/news/rules-answers-august-2015

Most of these answers are self-evidently obvious.

Their reasons for disallowing the Delay action are garbage.
"If you could delay your turn, your decision-making would possibly become slower" - Yeah right, come on, delaying is a corner case decision. If it doesn't benefit you, you won't even consider using it. If it does benefit you, you won't even consider not using it. Time lost is negligible.
"The ability to delay your turn can make initiative meaningless" - Well no, because you can only delay downwards. In terms of determining the first strike it's still very important, whether you can delay or not.
"It can let you wreak havoc on the durations of spells and other effects" - Bullshit. Other D&D-ish games which let you delay all effortlessly solve that by saying the durations last until when your turn would've been if you hadn't delayed.
"Plus, the faster your turn ends, the sooner you get to take your next turn." - Uhhh... no? Not unless you consider taking your turn to be a single instant in time that takes place at the start of your turn coming up. It's other people's turns that determine how soon yours comes up again, not how fast you can blow through your own.

I'm not a big fan of the Delay option or anything, but if you're going to give reasons then don't make them nonsense.

The Goodberry ruling is internally inconsistent with their errata on Empowered Evocation. That time they decided that bonus damage to a spell applies to only one single damage roll, not all of them (for such spells as Scorching Rays). So if you unleash 10 beams of magic death, only one of them gets the bonus damage. But now for Goodberry if you unleash 10 fruits of magic life, then all of them get the bonus healing. That's so ludicrously powerful that any Cleric of Life basically must take a level dip in Druids now. 40 hp for a first level slot is too good to pass up.

(Incidentally, you can always upcast spells. It's just that not all of them inherently benefit from this. but you could in theory use a 9th level slot to cast Goodberry, and then have each berry heal 12 hp.)

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

Sage Genesis posted:

Most of these answers are self-evidently obvious.

Their reasons for disallowing the Delay action are garbage.
"If you could delay your turn, your decision-making would possibly become slower" - Yeah right, come on, delaying is a corner case decision. If it doesn't benefit you, you won't even consider using it. If it does benefit you, you won't even consider not using it. Time lost is negligible.
"The ability to delay your turn can make initiative meaningless" - Well no, because you can only delay downwards. In terms of determining the first strike it's still very important, whether you can delay or not.
"It can let you wreak havoc on the durations of spells and other effects" - Bullshit. Other D&D-ish games which let you delay all effortlessly solve that by saying the durations last until when your turn would've been if you hadn't delayed.
"Plus, the faster your turn ends, the sooner you get to take your next turn." - Uhhh... no? Not unless you consider taking your turn to be a single instant in time that takes place at the start of your turn coming up. It's other people's turns that determine how soon yours comes up again, not how fast you can blow through your own.

I'm not a big fan of the Delay option or anything, but if you're going to give reasons then don't make them nonsense.

The Goodberry ruling is internally inconsistent with their errata on Empowered Evocation. That time they decided that bonus damage to a spell applies to only one single damage roll, not all of them (for such spells as Scorching Rays). So if you unleash 10 beams of magic death, only one of them gets the bonus damage. But now for Goodberry if you unleash 10 fruits of magic life, then all of them get the bonus healing. That's so ludicrously powerful that any Cleric of Life basically must take a level dip in Druids now. 40 hp for a first level slot is too good to pass up.

(Incidentally, you can always upcast spells. It's just that not all of them inherently benefit from this. but you could in theory use a 9th level slot to cast Goodberry, and then have each berry heal 12 hp.)

Agreed, all of their reasonings about delay are complete BS.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
So the Archery Fighting Style only applies to bows but Crossbow Expert can mitigate Disadvantage for a caster making a ranged spell attack while in melee?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

gradenko_2000 posted:

So the Archery Fighting Style only applies to bows but Crossbow Expert can mitigate Disadvantage for a caster making a ranged spell attack while in melee?

Yes, one rule punishes fighters and the other benefits casters. What part of this is surprising to you?

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!

WotC posted:

Being able to delay your turn can let you wreak havoc on the durations of spells and other effects, particularly any of them that last until your next turn. Simply by changing when your turn happens, you could change the length of certain spells. The way to guard against such abuse would be to create a set of additional rules that would limit your ability to change durations. The net effect? More complexity would be added to the game, and with more complexity, there is greater potential for slower play.

Really?

4e Rules Compendium posted:

Delay
  • Action: Free action. A creature can take this action only when its turn is about to start
  • Delay until Later Initiative: The creature delays its turn until it decides to act later in the initiative order. However, parts of the creature's turn occur in the moment the creature delays, as detailed below.
  • Returning to the Initiative Order: After any turn has been completed, the creature ccan step back into the initiative order and take its turn. The creature's initiative changes to this new position in the initiative order.
  • Start of Turn: The start of the creature's turn occurs when the creature delays, not when it later takes its turn. Thus, effects that are triggered by the start of the turn still take place- they can't be avoided by delaying.
  • End of Turn: The end of the creature's turn gets split in two: One part occurs when the creature delays, and the second part when it later takes its delayed turn. Different things occur at each of those times.
    End of Turn when the creature delays: At the moment the creature delays, any effect that it has been sustaining ends. In addition, effects that last until the end of the creature's turn now end if they are beneficial to it and its allies- they cannot be prolonged by delaying. For instance, if the creature stunned an enemy until the end of its next turn, the stunned condition ends as soon as the creature delays.
    End of Turn after the Creature Acts: After the creature returns to the initiative order and takes its delayed turn, it makes the saving throws it normally makes at the end of its turn. In addition, harmful effects that last until the end of the creature's turn now end- they cannot be avoided by delaying. For instance, if the creature is weakened until the end of its next turn, the weakened condition ends only after it acts.
  • Losing a Delayed Turn: If the creature doesn't take its delayed turn before its initiative comes back up in the order, it loses the delayed turn, and its initiative remains where it was.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Sorry, it's just impossible.

CaPensiPraxis
Feb 7, 2013

When in france...
More than two bullet points, it's so complex it's making my head hurt.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
This is why you should just roll for initiative every round

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Of course 4th Edition already solved it. Of loving course.

And, my god, it would've been so simple to just say "We didn't want to implement the Delay action anymore because forcing people to take their turn when it's their turn* speeds up gameplay" and everyone would've bought it.

* except if they have a specific readied action they want to define and they're willing to give up their inter-turn Reaction for it.

IT BEGINS
Jan 15, 2009

I don't know how to make analogies

mastershakeman posted:

This is why you should just roll for initiative every round

How does this change anything other than probably slow the game down because of people forgetting who's turn it is?

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Kurieg posted:

Yes, one rule punishes fighters and the other benefits casters. What part of this is surprising to you?

It's actually pretty galling how consistent they are with this.

Like, who was even confused about the Archery thing? It's not a big change and I doubt it's going to make anybody especially salty but the term is right there on the tin -- Archery. The only reason to clarify it, from Mearls' perspective, is to ensure that nobody is sullying the sanctity of the Archery fighting style with loving ninja stars or whatever. If anything it makes it seem like a house rule about Archery re: throwing is doubleplusbad because hey the D&D team took time out of their busy schedule to clarify you can't do it. Don't even ask, Jimmy. It says you can't do that.

Meanwhile you can concentrate through Polymorph eh? Assuming you can keep one spell active, what's the most broken monster/animal/spell combo you can come up with?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

quote:

No. Whirlwind Attack is unusual, in that it’s a single attack with multiple attack rolls. In most other instances, an attack has one attack roll. The rule on moving between attacks (PH, 190) lets you move between weapon attacks, not between the attack rolls of an exceptional feature like Whirlwind Attack.

This poo poo is hilarious.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

NATURAL LANGUAGE!

Mendrian posted:

It's actually pretty galling how consistent they are with this.

Like, who was even confused about the Archery thing? It's not a big change and I doubt it's going to make anybody especially salty but the term is right there on the tin -- Archery. The only reason to clarify it, from Mearls' perspective, is to ensure that nobody is sullying the sanctity of the Archery fighting style with loving ninja stars or whatever. If anything it makes it seem like a house rule about Archery re: throwing is doubleplusbad because hey the D&D team took time out of their busy schedule to clarify you can't do it. Don't even ask, Jimmy. It says you can't do that.

Cause thrown weapons are what not-archery fighters are supposed to use when the enemy flies outside of the reach of your greatsword, Why the gently caress would you *specialize* in throwing axes, who on earth would find that fun? Not anyone in Mearls gaming group I can tell you!

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan
Greater Invisibility + T. rex combo for Polymorph. Level 8.

Note that the polymorph spell is itself Concentration, so you'll need your buddy to cast it on you.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I mean, you'd run out after a few attacks! You can't carry three dozen throwing axes around, that would be silly, never mind enchanting them. You'd constantly have to walk over to the things you've attacked and pull them out again.

I had a guy playing bat-gnome. He had a bat cape, and a silly batgnome voice, and a black bat-horse and everything. He also had two daggers (or maybe bat shaped darts, I forget) on his character sheet and was surprised when I told him he actually had as many as he needed at any given time (or until I took them away for dramatic purposes).

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Nice to see the one new limit on spellcasters that was put into to 5E (limited concentration) is steadily being chip-chip-chipped away over time. That was as predictable as the sun coming up in the morning.

IT BEGINS
Jan 15, 2009

I don't know how to make analogies

goatface posted:

This poo poo is hilarious.

I guess they were trying to keep it consistent with how whirlwind attack worked in 3.5? It's kind of a shame, would be pretty sweet to have the ranger carve a giant path through a bunch of goblins by moving between every hit and adding more and more targets.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I don't care about the meaning, just the way they wrote it is hilarious. Can you move between attacks when you have multiple? I forget.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

goatface posted:

I don't care about the meaning, just the way they wrote it is hilarious. Can you move between attacks when you have multiple? I forget.

Yes, ignore the NATURAL LANGUAGE you can take your move action and divide it up between the individual attacks of your multiple attack action.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Oh right, it says right there. They must just be morally opposed to film-Legolas style fighting.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Maybe they think spin to win heroes in games like Diablo and LoL are silly and don't want them dirtying up their serious elf game.

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

Mecha Gojira posted:

Greater Invisibility + T. rex combo for Polymorph. Level 8.

Note that the polymorph spell is itself Concentration, so you'll need your buddy to cast it on you.

It's worth noting that polymorph replaces all game statistics so if your wizard turns you into an invisible T-rex your int becomes 2 and by all means you should follow your new instincts and try to eat everyone in range :v:.

Successful Businessmanga fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Aug 18, 2015

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Well technically you also retain alignment and personality, so while you wouldn't eat your friends (in most campaigns), you should take advantage of low int/wis to make hilarious decisions.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Kibner posted:

Maybe they think spin to win heroes in games like Diablo and LoL are silly and don't want them dirtying up their serious elf game.

Considering that warriors in those games can actually be good at what they do, then yes - they don't want them dirtying up their serious elf game/bullied nerd wizard party.

captain innocuous
Apr 7, 2009
You keep your metal stats when you polymorph, which probably makes for potential abuse on its own.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

captain innocuous posted:

You keep your metal stats when you polymorph, which probably makes for potential abuse on its own.
My charisma is 666 :black101:

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

captain innocuous posted:

Unless there is errata, according to the 5E spell list it specifically mentions including mental stats.

5E handbook posted:

POLYMORPH
4th-levei transmutation
Casting Time: I action
Range: 60 feet
Components: V,S, M(a caterpillar cocoon)
Duration: Concentration, up to I hour
This spell transforms a creature that you can see
within range into a new formoAn unwilling creature
must make a Wisdom saving throw to avoid the
effect.Ashapechanger automatically succeeds on this
saving throw.
The transformation lasts for the duration, or until
the target drops to O hit points ar dies. The new form
can be any beast whose challenge rating is equal to or
less than the target's (or the target's leveI, if it doesn't
have a challenge rating). The target's game statistics,
including mental ability scores, are replaced by the
statistics of the chosen beast. It retains its alignment
and personality.
The target assumes the hit points of its new formo
When it reverts to its normal form, the creature
returns to the number of hit points it had before it
transformed. If it reverts as a result of dropping to
O hit points, any excess damage carries over to its
normal formoAs long as the excess damage doesn't
reduce the creature's normal form to O hit points, it isn't
knocked unconscious.
The creature is limited in the actions it can perform by
the nature of its new form, and it can't speak, cast spells,
ar take any other action that requires hands ar speech.
The target's gear melds into the new formoThe
creature can't activate, use, wield, or otherwise benefit
from any of its equipment.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Uh excuse me but making my character dumb is telling me how to roleplay and they put the roleplaying back into this edition so clearly that is unintended.

captain innocuous
Apr 7, 2009
Oh, my mistake. I was thinking of shapechange.

Sailor Viy
Aug 4, 2013

And when I can swim no longer, if I have not reached Aslan's country, or shot over the edge of the world into some vast cataract, I shall sink with my nose to the sunrise.

FMguru posted:

Nice to see the one new limit on spellcasters that was put into to 5E (limited concentration) is steadily being chip-chip-chipped away over time. That was as predictable as the sun coming up in the morning.

Sometimes it's kinda uncanny how similar the wizards > martials thing seems to mirror discrimination in the real world.

thefakenews
Oct 20, 2012
So a friend of mine has asked me to run a 5E game for his birthday, as he is usually a GM and wants a chance to play. I have agree to to run it, but from a GM perspective 5E isn't really my game. I'm planning to run Dark Sun and am planning to loosely convert monsters from 4E (with the aim of having more interesting monsters than the basic 5E stuff).

I've been looking at the monster creation table posted by Sanglorian, and hoping I can use that to come up with reasonable stats. Are there any posts explaining or testing the maths behind the listed hit point values. They seem awfully high compared to WotC's own monsters. I know the MM is full of glass cannons, but I want to make sure that table won't result in fights that are too grindy.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
I believe it is based off a fighter being able to auto-attack one dead on an average of four turns.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Sanglorian's monster creation table basically lets you create monsters according to the DMG's guidelines without going through the DMG's 22-step process.

The HP counts are high because the DMG's guidelines will really give you high HP monsters unless you gently caress around with the offense/defense balance to create the glass cannons that you see in the MM.

I'd like to put forward my own method for monster creation: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?action=showpost&postid=447144677

It throws out the official method completely, but I do explain where I deviated from the party line and how I got to my own numbers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quadratic_Wizard
Jun 7, 2011
Decided to go through and give all the classes without 6th level spellcasting some quality of life improvements, as well as collect my thoughts on houserules in general.

Some of this stuff is just "why, why would they do that?" like the comparison between a warlock's Dark One's Own Luck and the Fighter's Indomitable, or the Sorc's ability to fly at thanks to their 14th level subclass ability compared to the Barbarian's ability to "fly while raging, but fall at the end of your turn, so if you fly up to hit that dragon with your axe, you take 4d6 damage when your rear end hits the ground".

Basic idea is to just make all of the features work like they should have in the first place. Indomitable is on a short rest cooldown and works 100% of the time. Stroke of Luck recharges every round instead of every day because capstones should be loving awesome. Trying really hard to make the features powerful while also not making the characters then so powerful that the math breaks down. Not even trying to make them on par with casters in terms of pure burst and utility. Just...you know...not so full of suck.

Anyways, here's what I have so far, with comments added that explain my reasoning for each change/buff: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ROIsLEoB-3Ovlxmb7PA2G3gFBTkALmrgXAyHQdkTeMc/edit