Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

gallilee posted:

Holy poo poo!!
The trolling of Nick Breckon in GTA 5 on the latest idle thumbs is goddamn hysterical!
Watch it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMUe7qMxM1s

Somehow this is even better than I imagined it in my head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Sonic Dreams is legitimately the scariest game I've played in years

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
K/G*: You had the right series, wrong sequel. Wizardry IV was the one where you play as the villainous Werdna, and to this day I think it still qualifies as the hardest single CRPG, period. It was created as the ultimate test of series fans, "hard mode" for a punishing genre, and even making your way out of the first room requires intimate knowledge of series mechanics.

Then comes 10 floors of bastard traps. The mine field. The ziggurat. The shifting maze. All while the vengeful ghost of a dead king pursues you in real time. And then there's the actual puzzle of how to not just escape, but the true ending of "achieving enlightenment". This is not even counting the ancient interface and mechanics because it was still running on the W1 engine, or other massive dick moves.

It is loving great. But it's almost unplayable now.

* there is totally a "k/g ratio" joke to be made but I'm not the one to make it work

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

DARKSEID DICK PICS posted:

K/G*: You had the right series, wrong sequel. Wizardry IV was the one where you play as the villainous Werdna, and to this day I think it still qualifies as the hardest single CRPG, period. It was created as the ultimate test of series fans, "hard mode" for a punishing genre, and even making your way out of the first room requires intimate knowledge of series mechanics.

Then comes 10 floors of bastard traps. The mine field. The ziggurat. The shifting maze. All while the vengeful ghost of a dead king pursues you in real time. And then there's the actual puzzle of how to not just escape, but the true ending of "achieving enlightenment". This is not even counting the ancient interface and mechanics because it was still running on the W1 engine, or other massive dick moves.

It is loving great. But it's almost unplayable now.

* there is totally a "k/g ratio" joke to be made but I'm not the one to make it work

Aw dang. Yeah, I get those series mixed up sometimes despite having a general affection for them.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

gallilee posted:

Holy poo poo!!
The trolling of Nick Breckon in GTA 5 on the latest idle thumbs is goddamn hysterical!
Watch it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMUe7qMxM1s

Nick is going viral :)

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/08/13/gta-online-hacks/

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.
Another note about the 999 extrasode: FFXIV has had exactly one complete transformation, from a lovely game into a pretty good one. It's still an MMO through and through, with all the endgame timesink grind that entails, but it's probably the best one of those on the market right now, and the main story (especially in the expansion) is really solid. You could probably do a run of the hypothetical Final Fantasy podcast that just went through the main story content like it was a normal Final Fantasy (or, well, maybe more like a couple of normal Final Fantasies stapled together) and have it work about as smoothly as you could ask for.

The bigger stumbling block would probably be XI, since that's its own nightmarish beast of a game that's gone through a billion iterations and may or may not still be playable in the theoretical distant future where that podcast could actually exist.

Opposing Farce fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Aug 17, 2015

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

New Retronauts about A Link to the Past is now live! I haven't been promoting our stuff in this thread lately, but I REALLY like this episode.

http://www.usgamer.net/articles/this-week-retronauts-explores-a-true-legend-of-zelda

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Yesssss, something amazing to listen to while battling incoming freshmen at the gym who got lost on their way to the dinner hall.

Thanks for all of the hard work you guys at Retronauts do!

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Opposing Farce posted:

that podcast could actually exist

*stares unblinking at gary/kole*

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

Zombies' Downfall posted:

We're working on the logistics for the milestone goal as we speak.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

While I do have my suspicions I don’t think Gary and Kole are robots.

Androids who are carbon copy of humans? Maybe.
Pure robots with a nice skin job? Probably not.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
Referring to them as Gary/Kole just makes me think of those two headed ogres from Warcraft.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

bobservo posted:

New Retronauts about A Link to the Past is now live! I haven't been promoting our stuff in this thread lately, but I REALLY like this episode.

http://www.usgamer.net/articles/this-week-retronauts-explores-a-true-legend-of-zelda

This was a cool episode, and holy crap I never drew that connection between rabbit Link in LttP and Ravio in LBW :stare:

And thank God they didn't make Majora's Mask a 7-day cycle, that would have killed any tension in the game unless the world was way bigger.

E: That Sleep No More reader mail in last week's Thumbs reminded me of the sex cult scene in Eyes Wide Shut. God what they wrote about must have been weird to experience.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Aug 18, 2015

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Woffle posted:

We're working on the logistics for the milestone goal as we speak.

i'll make the website
:goonsay:

ElMaligno posted:

While I do have my suspicions I don’t think Gary and Kole are robots.

Androids who are carbon copy of humans? Maybe.
Pure robots with a nice skin job? Probably not.

the thing that boggles my mind about it is that they like, found each other; I've started actually recording a film discussion podcast and even assembling the troops on a biweekly basis with peoples' busy varying schedules and poo poo is tough

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

To keep things in perspective, a major project of that scale would require a lot of money. Cut back on hours at our jobs money, so don't expect it any time soon. I probably shouldn't even have said anything. I just wanted something to work towards.

Obviously, making a bigger part of our livings from this is the dream. We put a lot of work into it, maybe some day we'll get that out of it?

Woffle fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Aug 18, 2015

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
Kole, forgive my poor memory if you've mentioned it recently, but are you still playing NIER or did you bounce off it? I'd love to hear a debrief if you stick with it to the very end. Or, hell, a debrief about its failings if you don't.

HMS Boromir fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Aug 19, 2015

AllisonByProxy
Feb 24, 2006

FUCK TERFS/BLM/ACAB
Nier was so good. I hope he is still playing it!

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Nier has been on the list of games I've been boosting for the WOFF treatment for a long time. It's both interesting and flawed in ways that I think would specifically push Gary and Kole's buttons, and provoke a thoughtful conversation and possibly two different conclusions.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

Nier has been on the list of games I've been boosting for the WOFF treatment for a long time. It's both interesting and flawed in ways that I think would specifically push Gary and Kole's buttons, and provoke a thoughtful conversation and possibly two different conclusions.

Nier is on our list. It comes up a lot in relation to Dark Souls so we've talked about it for an off season of BSC. However, Bloodborne is going to carry us up through January, it looks like, so we may not have much room between the end of that season and DS3. So maybe we'll bite the bullet and do a WOFF on it.

I'm somewhat put off by what I've heard that you more or less have to beat it twice to get the effect but I'm fascinated enough by the good I've heard to be willing to give it a shot.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
I played through much of Nier then stopped for no particular reason and too long had passed when I tried to get back in that I just didn't remember how to play effectively. Is there a good [preferably video] LP anyone could recommend? I'm especially interested in one that also plays through the "second quest" which I hear is well done but ain't nobody got time for that.

Eponymous
Feb 4, 2008

Maybe I just want to be happy, huh?! Maybe I want my life to not be a trainwreck for five GOD DAMN minutes?!
The Dark Id's let's play is what you're looking for. He covers it comprehensively, all the endings, all the extra and cut content, everything.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

Woffle posted:

Nier is on our list.

Glad to hear it! I would've settled for a postmortem by Kole on The Level or an extrasode but if you end up doing it for one of the long form shows then so much the better.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Woffle posted:

I'm somewhat put off by what I've heard that you more or less have to beat it twice to get the effect but I'm fascinated enough by the good I've heard to be willing to give it a shot.

Kind of. You have to play through the second half of the game multiple times, but it's a New Game+ system so you can storm through it at higher levels and there's additional story content that recontextualizes the thing you already played.

AllisonByProxy
Feb 24, 2006

FUCK TERFS/BLM/ACAB
Real men beat it 4 times. :c00lbutt:

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Truly amazing people beat it 5 times.

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

Kind of. You have to play through the second half of the game multiple times, but it's a New Game+ system so you can storm through it at higher levels and there's additional story content that recontextualizes the thing you already played.

And it's worth emphasizing "storm through," we're talking 2-3 hours unless you dick around and even less time for further NG+ playthroughs.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Just powered through the 999 WOFF and extrasode yesterday; now I'm really, really curious and want to play through 999 and VLR.

I still think you guys would get a kick out of the Famicom Detective Club SFC port/fan translation.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
gonna have to give a listen to the 999 stuff when i get home, absolutely fantastic set of games there. I'm also going to take the time to link the announcement (re-announcement?) trailer they showed back in July at Anime Expo 2015 saying that the third (and i think final?) game of the series was being made after the indefinite hiatus it was put on a couple years back due to low sales in Japan.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uY9YujkQOqY

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Nier is the best game that has a backstory involving giant flying babies attacking a fantasy universe, forcing a dragonrider to travel through a time portal to fight the mother of the giant flying babies in modern-day Tokyo.

None of this is shown in the game. It's just how the apocalypse happened, and the entire game is dealing with the post-apocalypse.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Nier is the best game that has a backstory involving giant flying babies attacking a fantasy universe, forcing a dragonrider to travel through a time portal to fight the mother of the giant flying babies in modern-day Tokyo.

None of this is shown in the game. It's just how the apocalypse happened, and the entire game is dealing with the post-apocalypse.

I don't think this is even a spoiler.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

It's not. It is literally a) the back story and B) nowhere in the game itself.

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

I got burned out on the play of Nier so I never got to see all the cool stuff everyone talks about. I definitely wouldn't mind hearing a podcast about it.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
I honestly have no idea what people who complain about Nier's gameplay are talking about.

Like, there's one tedious necessary area and that's it. And some annoying sidequests, but you don't have to do that if you don't want to.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I honestly have no idea what people who complain about Nier's gameplay are talking about.

Like, there's one tedious necessary area and that's it. And some annoying sidequests, but you don't have to do that if you don't want to.

I just find it very boring. There's no depth there, and as a hack 'n' slash it isn't very satisfying either. I'm happy to have experienced it, but I don't think I'd ever play it again, soundtrack is the best part.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Hakkesshu posted:

I just find it very boring. There's no depth there, and as a hack 'n' slash it isn't very satisfying either. I'm happy to have experienced it, but I don't think I'd ever play it again, soundtrack is the best part.

You are saying perfectly comprehensible words, and I understand what you're saying, and you have no reason to lie, but I have no real memory of any of this being the case and several memories of the opposite.

Tomato Tomahto though

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Nier's gameplay is competent at best. I do kind of like when it mixes things up and becomes a side scrolling platformer or a top down shooter for a few minutes.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
Yeah, it isn't a standout for its combat, and some of the mechanics are basically jokes (see: levelling and the XP curve), but nothing is outright broken and the game shifts what you're doing on a regular enough basis that it can overcome being a bit flat as an action title.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

As an aside, Square's weirdest games like Hanjuku Hero and Drakengard/Nier are the ones that are strongly tied together by more than just theme.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

It's a spoiler for Drakengard, but I think by now everyone knows that game's reputation and nobody wants to play it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AllisonByProxy
Feb 24, 2006

FUCK TERFS/BLM/ACAB
This week's WOFF has the best sketch.

• Locked thread