Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Stallion Cabana posted:

OOO's fight coreogarphy being kind of bad at first made sense; Eiji was a reluctant fighter who verged on pacifistic; giving him a super suit doesn't magically make him know Kung-Fu, all he was relying on was raw strength. Date never read Birth's Manual, either, and was just going on what he thought would work.

then Tajador shows up and Eiji tries to transition into this weird flowing martial artist that utterly clashes with his character.

Good Drive Episode; loving Banno.

The power of Ahnk is to make one beautiful, graceful, alive.

But yeah, Drive this week further proves that Heart has done nothing wrong and deserves to walk away from this clean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
I dont know, is Eiji the blankest slate Kamen Rider ever? I mean... what the gently caress is his alleged personality. This whole "Eiji has no ambition of his own" only shows up in like the last 4 episodes.

Im not saying he's bad per say, but he is boring as gently caress. Its not even bad acting, there's is no character to speak of. If it wasnt for Ankh I wouldve stopped watching OOOs like 3 episodes in.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Dre2Dee2 posted:

I dont know, is Eiji the blankest slate Kamen Rider ever? I mean... what the gently caress is his alleged personality. This whole "Eiji has no ambition of his own" only shows up in like the last 4 episodes.

Im not saying he's bad per say, but he is boring as gently caress. Its not even bad acting, there's is no character to speak of. If it wasnt for Ankh I wouldve stopped watching OOOs like 3 episodes in.

Dude has nothing going on. As we see late in the series, he's also utterly helpless without Ankh to make his choices for him. That's pretty much his entire character. he is just There.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」
A lot of Kamen Rider protagonists (including Eiji) are attempts at making another Godai without actually thinking very hard about why he worked, or was an interesting Rider to add to the franchise.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
The really tragic thing is that they came REALLY close in a couple episodes to really making something of the whole "he no longer has his own identity or desires so he clings to the dreams of those around him to give himself identity and purpose"... thing.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

drrockso20 posted:

hmm I'd have to say ZO & J do work fairly decently for introducing someone to the franchise in a more one-shot nature(also I just realized that I have a mighty need for Blu-Ray quality releases for Shin, ZO, and J, cause they'd look amazing in High Definition)

I have a really weird soft spot for ZO. It might be because of how ridiculous that fight with the claymation spider lady looked, but goddamn that movie charmed me.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Dre2Dee2 posted:

Well, since we've been bringing it up recently, there's Wizard.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
There wasn't even a whole lot of conflict in Wizard. He just straight up won everything and everything worked out.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Flameingblack posted:

There wasn't even a whole lot of conflict in Wizard. He just straight up won everything and everything worked out.

Sometimes it looks like he's not going to win, and he gets very sad and stops trying, and one of his groupies has to tell him how great he is.

Occasionally it even looks dangerously like someone else will save the day instead!

FeatherFloat
Dec 31, 2003

Not kyuute
Wizard isn't so much that it's bad, it's that it's boring. Which is, technically, a kind of bad, so here we are back at the start of the argument again.

The worst part about Wizard is that it could have been really good if the people involved knew how to write conflict or Haruto was given a smidgen more personality or was allowed to fail more often or any number of things. It takes great ideas and then doesn't do anything with them. It's a lazy show. Why was it so lazy? Was everyone just having an off year? Did the budget get cut? Did everyone just not care?

Eiji was bland, but one, that was kind of the point, and two, Ankh. Ankh's relentless Ankh-ness elevated the whole thing to something really special. I kept wondering if the show would ever wuss out and make the guy genuinely good in some fashion, but nope. He was an rear end in a top hat pretty much the entire way through. And it's great.

Caphi posted:

Sometimes it looks like he's not going to win, and he gets very sad and stops trying, and one of his groupies has to tell him how great he is.

Occasionally it even looks dangerously like someone else will save the day instead!

Christ on a cracker, I will never understand why he had to keep killstealing from the guy that literally needs to eat monsters to keep on living.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Flameingblack posted:

You could say the same of Fourze or really all Rider shows since at least Decade. And even before that it certainly it applies to Kabuto and I'm having trouble of thinking of any time Den-O really needed help.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Dre2Dee2 posted:

Eiji starts getting one in Megamax since he starts acclimating into a mentor sort of role for both Aqua and Fourze(also they really should bring Aqua back one of these days)

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

More Ghost casting news and footage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GFtlHFDSZs

We're also getting Shimamoto Kazuhiko to do monster designs this year. :syoon:

edit: replaced the video with a clearer one

Ignis fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Aug 18, 2015

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Potsticker posted:

You could say the same of Fourze or really all Rider shows since at least Decade. And even before that it certainly it applies to Kabuto and I'm having trouble of thinking of any time Den-O really needed help.

Well I mean Den-O always needed help, but not in the way you're thinking.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

FeatherFloat posted:

Christ on a cracker, I will never understand why he had to keep killstealing from the guy that literally needs to eat monsters to keep on living.

I heard once that it was because Beast and Phoenix had the same suit actor.

I mean, it doesn't excuse poo poo, and it still doesn't explain why Beast spends the rest of the show eating ghouls. Even then it's more funny than anything.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Burkion posted:

Well I mean Den-O always needed help, but not in the way you're thinking.

Den-O is one of my favorite acted Rider shows because of this.

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!

Caphi posted:

And then in the few cases where Haruto does lose, the people he couldn't save just straight up fix their own drat problem anyway.

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Blue moon of Kentucky keep on shinin'...

Are they saying at the end that Kishidan is going to do the theme? If so that kicked off my hype for the new season.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
So, in a nutshell, even if the fights in Wizard ARE good, it doesn't really matter because they have no stakes whatsoever. Nothing is at risk.

maybeflan
May 15, 2014

Fooley posted:

Are they saying at the end that Kishidan is going to do the theme? If so that kicked off my hype for the new season.

Yeah: http://tokusatsunetwork.com/2015/08/17/cast-members-plot-details-and-opening-song-announced-for-kamen-rider-ghost/

I checked out a song or two. They seem pretty neat.

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!

Poison Mushroom posted:

So, in a nutshell, even if the fights in Wizard ARE good, it doesn't really matter because they have no stakes whatsoever. Nothing is at risk.

Wizard is the only Rider show I can think of where the majority-of-show villains not only make no progress, but negative progress in their plans. Their goal is to create more Phantoms; instead they create more wizards.

This later turns out to be the goal of the "real" villain but the reveal happens like five episodes before the end of the show and is such an asspull I refuse to acknowledge it as the true endgame, because it is so loving stupid.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
So the last thing I'll say about Wizard is that it Wiz'd its potential down its leg.

seriously, that's it. No more Wizard talk from me.

Ghost looks neat, hope it won't suck rear end, but even if it does, I'm sure the critter design will be cool.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Shaezerus posted:

Wizard is the only Rider show I can think of where the majority-of-show villains not only make no progress, but negative progress in their plans. Their goal is to create more Phantoms; instead they create more wizards.

THIS. This was the entire reason that I stopped watching the show, some twenty-odd episodes in.

Every other Rider in recent memory, the villains actually make progress. The Greeed get their hands on more medals, Yggdrasil gets the heroes to field test their Drivers for them, and so on. The villains in Wizard did nothing.

Well, nothing except lose their Phantoms and get kicked into the sun. I'm still upset that Phoenix never grew strong enough after his infinite resurrections to be able to escape the sun, come back, and burn Haruto to ashes. :argh:

LightningKimba
Nov 5, 2010

Unleashing my best...

LUMINARY UPPERCUT!!

I want to bring up that the deal with Eiji is, is that he's supposed to have no real personality - He's a hobo. He goes around to different places, he tries to help them out, then leaves. That's why he always brings a pair of undies for tomorrow (He keeps looking out for tomorrow and making through that day), and why the OP of the song talks about him being a free man.

ADMITTEDLY, I haven't seen Kuuga. I probably definitely totally should, but upon rewatching OOO a few months back, I do like Eiji's character. He's bland for a reason, the show plays around with these tropes, and overall he DOES have a fun actor backing his personality. But then OOO in general has lovely actors, which could make up for some episodes being on the ehhh side of things.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

Dexie posted:

Well, nothing except lose their Phantoms and get kicked into the sun. I'm still upset that Phoenix never grew strong enough after his infinite resurrections to be able to escape the sun, come back, and burn Haruto to ashes. :argh:

Don't worry, he'll be back in a million years. They confirmed it in some net video or something.

It's almost like the writers realized they wrote themselves into a corner and made a joke out of it.

DICKS FOR DINNER
Sep 6, 2008

Stand Proud
The problem I have with Phoenix getting kicked into the sun is that he was the only villain in Wizard who was even a little interesting. And he wasn't even that good, everyone else was just that bad.

LightningKimba posted:

ADMITTEDLY, I haven't seen Kuuga.

Kuuga is one of, if not the, very best Rider series of all time. Granted, if you wanted to watch it, it would be on MCS' ancient, horribly timed yellow sub releases, but it's still worth it. Everyone watch Kuuga

maybeflan
May 15, 2014

DICKS FOR DINNER posted:

Kuuga is one of, if not the, very best Rider series of all time. Granted, if you wanted to watch it, it would be on MCS' ancient, horribly timed yellow sub releases, but it's still worth it. Everyone watch Kuuga

Actually the first twelve episodes have v3 updates.
The other update with the cracked Grongi cipher.

maybeflan fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Aug 19, 2015

DICKS FOR DINNER
Sep 6, 2008

Stand Proud

This is true, but odds are it'll still take quite a while for the v3s to come out - so if someone's looking to watch the series in full it has to come with the understanding that, unless they're really patient, they'll have to dip into the old stuff too.

Also, if anyone's planning on watching Kuuga for the first time definitely do not watch the ones with the Grongi script because all it will do is spoil plot revelations that come way later in the series.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Yeah, you're not actually supposed to know what the Grongi are saying and it's really more of a DVD bonus thing after you've seen it once.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Kinda makes the heroes look foolish out of universe because they just keep blabbering on about stuff we don't learn about for a while.

Does show how much they had planned though.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
It's weird that Kuuga-Kiva were made for children. They feel more like adult dramas. Don't get me wrong; I'm perfectly fine with loving children's media, and I love the hell out of "Neo-Heisei" stuff I've seen, but objectively, there is a huge tonal difference between the pre-W seasons and the post-W seasons.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Faiz is basically Degrassi High except with Karate Bugmen.

DICKS FOR DINNER
Sep 6, 2008

Stand Proud
Kuuga especially is weirdly dark for a kids' show, some of those episodes have body counts in the hundreds. It's not as explicitly violent as Amazon, but still, drat.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Their tone falls more in line with the more serious shows from the Showa Era, like X or V3.

Made for modern audiences anyways. Don't let the Drill Rhinos and Starfish Hitler's fool you, some of the Showa Series were screwed up.

The W and beyond era is far more...safe and friendly, I guess. Which says something since W had a bunch of drug abuse stuff as part of its narrative.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Shaezerus posted:

And then in the few cases where Haruto does lose, the people he couldn't save just straight up fix their own drat problem anyway.

Don't forget that one episode with the myna bird guy who fell into despair and didn't become a wizard.

Oh wait, never mind, it was all just a joke you were supposed to laugh at and ignore!

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

DICKS FOR DINNER posted:

Cough. Corin got real sick of waiting in the years between timing the series and that post replied to you, so he just released these, which all just work with the raws (sort of, since the only seeded raws now are 60fps, introducing occasional frame bleeding) Bunny Hat put out. As far as I know they're only retimed, no other edits, but that's like 90% of the battle to make it watchable.

Also yellow subs own.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Twelve by Pies posted:

myna bird guy

One of the top three worst Wizard arcs for sure.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

The absolute worst Wizard arc though was 'Let's spend 8 whole episodes slowly introducing Haruto's new Dragon forms one at a time'

I don't really even have that much ire towards Wizard compared to this thread but who the gently caress thought that was a good idea?

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Brother Entropy posted:

The absolute worst Wizard arc though was 'Let's spend 8 whole episodes slowly introducing Haruto's new Dragon forms one at a time'

I don't really even have that much ire towards Wizard compared to this thread but who the gently caress thought that was a good idea?

Still two less episodes than "Let's introduce every single cast member in two episode arcs for the beginning of Fourze which just dragged on when watching it week to week. There has been mention that it's not so bad if you binge through it, but it soured me on Fourze a little in the beginning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

WickedHate posted:

It's weird that Kuuga-Kiva were made for children. They feel more like adult dramas. Don't get me wrong; I'm perfectly fine with loving children's media, and I love the hell out of "Neo-Heisei" stuff I've seen, but objectively, there is a huge tonal difference between the pre-W seasons and the post-W seasons.

Japan is really weird about this sort of thing sometimes, like Fist of The North Star was intended for kids(well the anime was), or Gundam SEED having people get microwaved on-screen(that's still one of the most f-ed up violence related things in an anime I've ever seen, besides that dog getting exploded in the Battle Angel OVA, and everything about Blood-C)

• Locked thread