Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Irish Joe posted:

Except Treme was a lovely show that no one watches. Heck, some smart poster pointed out in the Daily Show thread that no one watches Last Week Tonight on HBO, and that because HBO gives the show away for free on youtube every week, its not even boosting subscription numbers. So what's the point of renewing the show except to promote HBO via prestige and brand awareness? The answer: there isn't one. No one will ever subscribe to HBO for Last Week Tonight, but LWT getting a half dozen clickbait articles and prime youtube placement every week ensures that the HBO is always present in people's minds when and if they make the premium cable buying decision.

I watch Last Week Tonight on HBO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Last Week Tonight is funny, and I like it.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

DivisionPost posted:

You only just started? And that's your reaction?

Hold on to your loving hat, son.

(Note, I haven't seen past episode 7, mostly time and mood but partly because holy poo poo I don't know if I can handle whatever's further down that rabbit hole.)
I've only finished 2 episodes.

Man this is what people who like being doms must feel, just watching people suffer is so goddamn entertaining.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
I just found out that Show Me a Hero is a true story which kind of blows my mind, because my question was going to be:

I'm liking the show, but I seriously don't get what the big deal is. It's 200 houses... Two Hundred. Does Yonkers have a population of 800 people or something? Why are they so up in arms about something that is

a) trivial in the scheme of things
b) going to fail spectacularly because the poor won't even want to live there anyway
c) could probably just be sold off in a couple of years and re-gentrified.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

corn in the bible posted:

I watch Last Week Tonight on HBO

It also gets decent ratings for an HBO show http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/john-olivers-talk-show-ratings-735187

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man

xcore posted:

I just found out that Show Me a Hero is a true story which kind of blows my mind, because my question was going to be:

I'm liking the show, but I seriously don't get what the big deal is. It's 200 houses... Two Hundred. Does Yonkers have a population of 800 people or something? Why are they so up in arms about something that is

b) going to fail spectacularly because the poor won't even want to live there anyway

Because the show is set in the 1980s and people were still very racist and in favor of segregationist policies.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

xcore posted:

The portion of Yonkers they're trying to build the low-income housing in is a middle-to-upper middle class area. It was classism with a heaping helping of racism.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Vanderdeath posted:

The portion of Yonkers they're trying to build the low-income housing in is a middle-to-upper middle class area. It was classism with a heaping helping of racism.

And anti-semitism. There are a couple of scenes where the locals talk about that rear end in a top hat Jew judge.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

xcore posted:

Poor black people absolutely wanted to live there, that was the point.

FYI the court case was finally decided in 2007, only eight years ago.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I wish to God that John Oliver had been given The Nightly Show instead of Larry Wilmore. Oh, what could have been...

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man

precision posted:

I wish to God that John Oliver had been given The Nightly Show instead of Larry Wilmore. Oh, what could have been...

The Nightly Show is a disappointment but John Oliver is doing real well with Last Week Tonight and he wouldn't be able to pull that off anywhere other than HBO.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
If you haven't been keeping up with Rick & Morty this season has been great and the newest episode was incredible.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

I also watch Bill Maher on HBO.

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat

corn in the bible posted:

I also watch Bill Maher on HBO.

He still has a show? Is it Politically Incorrect, or is that long gone now?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It's Real Time but it's basically the same show. It's kind of bad and he thinks he's way funnier than he is. He has this stupid smug look on his face and he gives his audience plenty of time to laugh with every joke.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
Basically Real Time's biggest flaw is there are so, so many people who could host it better than Bill Maher.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

xcore posted:

The big deal is racism. and honestly, it's not like it's any better today. Similar NIMBY things happen all the time in America, driven by fear of Those People, You Know, the Criminals and Drug Dealers.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Spatula City posted:

The big deal is racism.

Yeah, I've just started watching the Central Park Five documentary which is doing a pretty good job of painting a picture of the racial/social climate of New York when this series is set.

I don't doubt it's just as bad today. The whole thing echos the crazy "We the People" Mexican border miltia stuff going on today. I just expected a little better from educated, liberal New Yorkers (NYC is Blue yeah?) as opposed to bible thumping gun-toting southerners.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

xcore posted:

I just expected a little better from educated, liberal New Yorkers (NYC is Blue yeah?) as opposed to bible thumping gun-toting southerners.

What a colossal loving mistake that was.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

xcore posted:

Yeah, I've just started watching the Central Park Five documentary which is doing a pretty good job of painting a picture of the racial/social climate of New York when this series is set.

I don't doubt it's just as bad today. The whole thing echos the crazy "We the People" Mexican border miltia stuff going on today. I just expected a little better from educated, liberal New Yorkers (NYC is Blue yeah?) as opposed to bible thumping gun-toting southerners.

Yeah I mean I get it's a common misconception, but travel and talk to people more. People are idiots everywhere. Blue and Red state doesn't matter in local politics most of the time.

SunshineDanceParty fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Aug 19, 2015

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

thrakkorzog posted:

Supernatural has some loving crazy insane lady fans. At one point, the fans at a con tracked down the hotel room of one of the stars' pregnant wife, and made multiple calls to the cops accusing her of being a hooker so she would be arrested.

That said, Supernatural is a pretty good show. Not the greatest show ever written, but it's pretty good.

True story (i'll try and get a photo). I work with a 25 year old nazi. Or he thinks he is a nazi.

He's got the mark of Kane tattoo in the same spot as Deans and he's a HUGE :gay: fan of the show.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

precision posted:

LWT is almost certainly better than anything Oliver would've been allowed to do with a show on Comedy Central.

xcore posted:

I don't doubt it's just as bad today.

If you're talking about the one that was on PBS, based on that I doubt it ever ended, as evidenced by all the people involved who still refuse to admit they hosed up and gave in to racist social panic, because they all built their careers on throwing innocent men in prison.

And then of course there's the department the NYPD created solely to spy on Muslims, and who can forget the good ol' standby of Stop 'n' Frisk.

raditts fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Aug 19, 2015

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

precision posted:

Hahaha, nice. Set myself up for that one I did.

Right now is a great time for comedies about awful people. Difficult People, Another Period, You're the Worst etc

edit: when I was a kid in the 80s WGN was a great channel because they used to show a lot of good movies on weekends

Another excellent comedy: Catastrophe. It is on Amazon Prime streaming, is only 6 20-minute episodes, and is loving fantastic. Also, it's getting a second season which will air this fall.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

precision posted:

Why didn't you guys tell me how good You're The Worst is, holy poo poo.

Oh what, you mean my favorite show for all of 2014? The hell you say

Now stop doubting the hype about Bojack Horseman before it's too late

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Watching the 180 the TV crit community has pulled on Bojack is really funny. I know it's an artifact of the critics just seeing the worst parts of s1 due to the six episode screeners, but to compare the s1 previews vs the s2 previews it's bizarre.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

zoux posted:

Watching the 180 the TV crit community has pulled on Bojack is really funny. I know it's an artifact of the critics just seeing the worst parts of s1 due to the six episode screeners, but to compare the s1 previews vs the s2 previews it's bizarre.

There are still critics that still hate Bojack

precision posted:

Why didn't you guys tell me how good You're The Worst is, holy poo poo.

I`ve told everyone it`s great, in fact it`s time for a rewatch.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

bojack owns

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

i've never seen curb your enthusiasm before and im watching it now, it is funny

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

zoux posted:

It's also a testament to the value of Netflix's binging model. If BoJack was airing one episode a week, the general audience would've written it off like (sadly) Halt and Catch Fire. Instead that first season of BoJack is a six hour commitment that's easy to burn through in a weekend, a commitment most people feel rewarded for halfway through as opposed to six weeks of blind hope.

I doubt this is much of a hot take, but I think traditional TV is eventually going to circle back to episodic formats. A new short story every week with a defined beginning - middle - end, and significant character growth and evolution between each episode, is easier to sustain and can even be truly great if you do it right. The more serialized works that require major time investments and careful attention to fully appreciate, those are the shows that are gonna thrive on Netflix, Prime, etc. Bloodline is another excellent example of this; it's five episodes of setup and four episodes of fat, but they all work in service of the last four episodes, which loving cook with the weight of everything we know about the troubled history of the Rayburn family. (Incidentally, "WHEN'S IT GONNA FUCKIN' END DANNY?" is my line of the year.)

Take Halt and Catch Fire, again. There are many reasons it has trouble picking up viewers, but the early complaints about the show -- that the writers were just reusing the Don Draper and Walter White stereotypes for a quick buck -- would've fallen by the wayside far more quickly if it debuted on a streaming platform. Instead of everybody realizing what it was doing after two months, it would've taken some people a weekend, and they'd be knocking over the first social media dominoes that would have the critical community talking about the show within 3-6 weeks as opposed to 8-9.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

zoux posted:

Its not bizarre at all. If you watched a show and half of the episodes were absolutely abyssal, 25% were okay and the remaining 25% were fantastic, how would you rate it, overall?

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog

Sleeveless posted:

If you haven't been keeping up with Rick & Morty this season has been great and the newest episode was incredible.

I totally agree, epecially the giant middle finger Harmon and crew throw at the audience every week.

"Nintendo, give me free stuff!"

"It's like a Where's Waldo page!"

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The Rick and Morty thread taught me that some people care waaay to much about fidelity to continuity in an intentionally goofball show.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

zoux posted:

The Rick and Morty thread taught me that some people care waaay to much about fidelity to continuity in an intentionally goofball show.

Are they arguing about Mr. Poopy Butthole?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

zoux posted:

The Rick and Morty thread taught me

He said, when questioned by the police. Bail has not yet been set.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Regy Rusty posted:

Are they arguing about Mr. Poopy Butthole?

They are. Oh and everything else.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

the first episode of bojack was good, and then it sucked until halfway through. season 2, on the other hand, is good the entire time, so how is it surprising that people are more positive about it?

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
And the worst pun of the year award goes to... NBC

quote:

According to The Hollywood Reporter, NBC has given a script commitment to a legal soap opera titled Miranda’s Rights. Obviously inspired by ABC’s successful medical soap Grey’s Anatomy, the show will focus on 28-year-old Miranda Coale

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

less laughter posted:

And the worst pun of the year award goes to... NBC

That's a BBC sitcom-tier pun title.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

VorpalBunny posted:

I totally agree, epecially the giant middle finger Harmon and crew throw at the audience every week.

"Nintendo, give me free stuff!"

"It's like a Where's Waldo page!"

I love it because it's I think the fifth time a Dan Harmon show has done a clip show episode where the joke is that all of the clips are new stuff but it's arguably the best premise and execution yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

DivisionPost posted:

I doubt this is much of a hot take, but I think traditional TV is eventually going to circle back to episodic formats. A new short story every week with a defined beginning - middle - end, and significant character growth and evolution between each episode, is easier to sustain and can even be truly great if you do it right. The more serialized works that require major time investments and careful attention to fully appreciate, those are the shows that are gonna thrive on Netflix, Prime, etc. Bloodline is another excellent example of this; it's five episodes of setup and four episodes of fat, but they all work in service of the last four episodes, which loving cook with the weight of everything we know about the troubled history of the Rayburn family. (Incidentally, "WHEN'S IT GONNA FUCKIN' END DANNY?" is my line of the year.)
Traditional TV hasn't stopped being episodic, barring some exceptions (e.g. Thrones), and especially not because of streaming services doing originals now. Unless you mean that episodic stories need to become even more defined and have to hit the viewer over the head with the moral of the story/theme each week, which I feel they already do quite often already.

Streaming services don't care about episodic formats because they know people binge watch things and don't give a poo poo about quality or pacing or any of that as long as they hit the right plot twists and heel turns that's required for the viewer to keep interested, which frankly I'm not a fan of.

• Locked thread