Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Drifter posted:

I think the quality difference between tuna packets and tuna cans are negligible, but the prices aren't. I don't know of any singular benefit for buying pouches other than to look cooler than your traditionalist, can-eating counterpart. Just make sure the cans are BPA free or whatever, I guess. Many are, these days.

Really? I'm not sure where I heard that the pouches are better but it was from some source I have trusted. Kenji, maybe? Oh well, I'll look into it. Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

GreyPowerVan posted:

Really? I'm not sure where I heard that the pouches are better but it was from some source I have trusted. Kenji, maybe? Oh well, I'll look into it. Thanks.

Cook's Illustrated was of the opinion that canned was better
http://www.atuna.com/NewsArchive/ViewArticle.asp?ID=4945

Captainsalami
Apr 16, 2010

I told you you'd pay!
I like my tuna sandwiches on the smooth side when i use it, also tuna salad so I prefer the pouches over canned. Also the pouches are usually the perfect size for a single sandwich for me.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Captainsalami posted:

I like my tuna sandwiches on the smooth side when i use it, also tuna salad so I prefer the pouches over canned.

I don't know what this means.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Drifter posted:

I don't know what this means.

I think it means he doesn't know how to drain and break up a can of tuna, but I am not 100%. Analysis ongoing.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Cans are an inch and a half thick. Pouches are half an inch thick. This means that cans have larger chunks, leading to a generally better texture. Captainsalami is saying he likes tuna to be mushier for his sandwiches.

Captainsalami
Apr 16, 2010

I told you you'd pay!
Also too lazy to dig out a can opener.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
I've never bought canned tuna that doesn't become suitably smooth with a good, strong forking. The best brand of tuna around here happens to be in cans, as well - it's packed in nothing, and the texture and taste are both far better than any pouch (or can) I've tried. No draining required, either, which is a plus.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

I've never bought canned tuna that doesn't become suitably smooth with a good, strong forking. The best brand of tuna around here happens to be in cans, as well - it's packed in nothing, and the texture and taste are both far better than any pouch (or can) I've tried. No draining required, either, which is a plus.

What brand

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Dolphin King.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
Usually the cheaper canned tuna is closer to the expensive bagged stuff. people pay a lot for that 45 seconds of draining the tin.

Whole white = chunkiest, most expensive, most mercury
Chunk white = flakier chunks, somewhat expensive, still a lot of mercury
Chunk light = wetter chunky pink stuff, cheaper, less mercury
Anything less than chunk, light or other = wet, 'smooth', cheapest, lowest mercury in tuna

Sardines are the poo poo. Eat sardines instead. Save the planet. :)

Sardine thread:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3618400

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

I would need to go to the store to check, sorry. I've seen it all over in Oregon, but never in Washington or California, so it might be only sold here.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I'm a big fan of wild planet brand tuna but it can be a bit more expensive, like $3 each at costco

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Number 1 Sexy Dad posted:

Usually the cheaper canned tuna is closer to the expensive bagged stuff. people pay a lot for that 45 seconds of draining the tin.

Whole white = chunkiest, most expensive, most mercury
Chunk white = flakier chunks, somewhat expensive, still a lot of mercury
Chunk light = wetter chunky pink stuff, cheaper, less mercury
Anything less than chunk, light or other = wet, 'smooth', cheapest, lowest mercury in tuna

Sardines are the poo poo. Eat sardines instead. Save the planet. :)

Sardine thread:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3618400

Doesn't the less light stuff taste fishier?

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

I got a SodaStream as a gift and I dearly want to replicate whatever wizardry is involved in making Polar seltzer. Where would I go about procuring flavored in small quantities (and of quality) like that?

Daedalus Esquire
Mar 30, 2008
Home brew stores often have flavor extracts for soda "brewing" that may work. I'm not sure if they are alcohol based like vanilla or almond extract, or syrups like what comes with a soda stream.
Mu also know nothing about seltzer or making seltzer, but I'd still say a home brew store might be the place to check.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

GreyPowerVan posted:

Doesn't the less light stuff taste fishier?

Yeah, I think so.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
Tuna normally goes OK with pasta, though it's more common to use sardines or anchovies. You could get away with a tomato sauce and tuna if you add some capers and fish sauce. Or do a lemon zest & juice, parsley + olive oil and garlic for kind of aglio e olio pasta dish

Try pasta alla pugliese, pasta alla siciliana, puttanesca or pasta con le sarde recipes, but with tuna+chilli+capers+olives. Or just buy some sardines and anchovies instead next time as mentioned.

E:You could always try the great Australian creation of the "tuna mornay" casserole/pasta bake.
Or do what I sometimes do in desperation, combine tuna with a wasabli and mayo mix, spread on white bread, add cucumber slices and roll it up, pretending I'm eating nori rolls.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Aug 17, 2015

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

I need to make a dill pickle dip for a thing, but I am stuck between two recipes, because I am an idiot.

Would people recommend http://www.food.com/recipe/dill-pickle-dip-222773 or http://allrecipes.com/recipe/pickle-dip/ ? I could also ask for other suggestions. I already have pickles, onions, sour cream, dill, cream cheese, and various basics.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

What uses are there for canned tuna other than tuna salad, tuna casserole, and tuna sandwiches? Besides feeding your cat or being 'that guy' who eats raw cans of tuna for lunch at his desk.

When I think eating tuna, I think some grilled steaks or sushi.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Bob Morales posted:

What uses are there for canned tuna other than tuna salad, tuna casserole, and tuna sandwiches? Besides feeding your cat or being 'that guy' who eats raw cans of tuna for lunch at his desk.

When I think eating tuna, I think some grilled steaks or sushi.

Here's AB's rundown of how to use canned tuna in a few things. Recipes start about halfway through.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyfbU7GiNoY

Croquettes, Tuna Lettuce Wraps and a Tuna Sauce/Dip

mich
Feb 28, 2003
I may be racist but I'm the good kind of racist! You better put down those chopsticks, you HITLER!
You can put a can of tuna into kimchi jjigae.

madkapitolist
Feb 5, 2006
I just realized my oven mits were lined with neoprene and not silicone. I do smell a little heated plastic smell when I use them, should I ditch them and replace with silicone?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I would.

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

Yep. Better to be safe.

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW
Is it true the "high" and "low" settings on a crockpot have the same final temperature, "high" only gets you there faster?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Not on mine.

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

Not so much a cooking question, but more of a food/supply one:

What's the over/under on egg prices coming down? It's at the point where a dozen brown eggs is only slightly less expensive than the free range ones at one of my local farmer's markets. :witch:

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Damned if I know, but I would guess you would need to find out if they are still killing hens, and how long it takes chicks to grow to laying size.

All I know is that egg prices by me have done nothing but go up for months.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Speaking of food supply, is there something going on with peanuts right now? Peanut oil has been weirdly hard to find for a couple months.

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
I have an embarrassing babby chef question. How do I stop my fried eggs from running all over the place? I crack it into the middle of the pan but it always seems to spread out to the edge. If I crack it in the edge, it just goes to either side. Either way I end up with long thin eggs with overcooked whites. Any time I managed to magically get it to stay in the middle they come out perfectly.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

sharktamer posted:

I have an embarrassing babby chef question. How do I stop my fried eggs from running all over the place? I crack it into the middle of the pan but it always seems to spread out to the edge. If I crack it in the edge, it just goes to either side. Either way I end up with long thin eggs with overcooked whites. Any time I managed to magically get it to stay in the middle they come out perfectly.
Your pan isn't hot enough!

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

sharktamer posted:

Use newer eggs

Psychobabble
Jan 17, 2006

sharktamer posted:

As was stated, your eggs are too old which is what causes them spread so far. Use a smaller pan, tip it away from you and crack the egg into the corner to help it stay tight.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
You can strain off the loosest white too if you want. The real watery stuff. I usually do with most egg applications.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
By the way, your eggs can be pretty "new" to you and still be old.

I get yard eggs from a coworker and they're still runny as poo poo all the time.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

If you've got old/runny egg whites, poach and give the water a really vigorous swirl the moment before you drop them in. Thanks to the conservation of angular momentum the whites will coalesce around the yolk as they set and it's generally one of the coolest looking things out there.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

sharktamer posted:

Drop your egg on a mesh strainer first, the loose egg whites will go through. Then you'll have a perfect circular egg.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
You guys are giving him all these weird advices.

If you want a round egg thing, easily, do one of two things. One, until you get better at it, break off the top of the egg (instead of breaking the egg in the middle) and pour the egg out slowly onto your hot pan. Two, cut a big round hole in a slice of bread and lay that down in the hot pan and break the egg into the center of that.

Eventually you'll get better at not opening the egg like a spastic retard holding a hot potato and you won't need either of those trainers.

Practice makes less imperfect. It always sucks in the beginning. Go slow. Relax. It's all money, honey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!
Or you can just stop caring if the white runs out a little. I find that to be the easiest way to deal with it.