Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!
Yeah I have one very clear memory from when I was a toddler but that's because it was a traumatic experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014
I don't know why it never occurred to me that the actress Dominique Dunne was the daughter of journalist Dominick Dunne. She played the older sister in Poltergeist and her unfortunate death is part of that whole "The movie was totally cursed you guys!"-mythos. She was strangled to death by her abusive and possesive ex-boyfriend. :smith:

Dominick Dunne wrote this article about how absolutely terrible the trial was.

http://www.vanityfair.com/magazine/1984/03/dunne198403

:catstare:

That loving judge and defense lawyer.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Terrible Opinions posted:

Did you actually read the page you linked? I explicitly states almost exactly what I suggested. The only time it's completely impossible to retain information from is before your brain is fully developed, and that settles down sometime in your 2nd year of life, making memories from the 2-4 possible but unreliable and generally error prone.

go easy on him, maybe he's 3 and misremembered the article

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Sarcopenia posted:

I don't know why it never occurred to me that the actress Dominique Dunne was the daughter of journalist Dominick Dunne. She played the older sister in Poltergeist and her unfortunate death is part of that whole "The movie was totally cursed you guys!"-mythos. She was strangled to death by her abusive and possesive ex-boyfriend. :smith:

If you ask me, this is why a lot of judges don't want video in the court room, it would expose bullshit like this that the transcript doesn't show.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

nocal posted:

In terms of misremembering details of Mandela's life, how about something actually unnerving: research shows that the majority of people can be tricked into believing that, as a child, they were once lost in a shopping mall. It is basically trivial to implant a false memory into another person's brain.

Additionally, and nobody knows exactly why, but people do not retain memories from before 3-4 years old. Consider any "memory" you have from before the age of 5 -- it is likely not a real memory, but the result of a parent telling a story about you, which you manufactured into a "memory."

I dunno, I have a really, really early memory that had to have been from near-infancy where my mom was holding me at our dinner table, sitting across from her friend having a conversation. I know the address where we lived, who she was talking to, that it was overcast and drizzling outside with rain drops on the window, and even the names/faces of our neighbors. I was born in '81 and we lived in the apartment in question from 81-83 before moving to a different place across town, I even remember having fat sausage arms/legs.

My brain is either weird or awesome, even when people have tried to fool me and lie, I can almost verbatim tell them what happened, when/how it actually happened, and specific dates and times. People are always shocked, it's close to photographic memory but not quite, I've even brought up stuff that other people forgot I was around to witness.

Sierra Nevadan
Nov 1, 2010

Yea, people can remember memories pretty early still no matter what they say.

I remember seeing my sister for the first time after she was born and I was 2 and a half. My mom's tit was hanging out to breastfeed and it shocked me. I don't think that's a fake memory my parents instilled in me.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I remember a surprising number of things from 2 and on. The clearest memories are of course the traumatic ones, like 3-year-old me curious about the stove while my mom was cooking, and I was so single-mindedly fascinated that I wouldn't stop trying to touch the flames, so to get me to stop she slapped me a few times and then held my hand over the stove until I had blisters.

I surprised her with that memory when I was much older, since that was definitely something that she'd never brought up.

nocal
Mar 7, 2007
I think I know what the problem is with all those studies, it's that they never studied people with Aspberger's.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

I remember a surprising number of things from 2 and on. The clearest memories are of course the traumatic ones, like 3-year-old me curious about the stove while my mom was cooking, and I was so single-mindedly fascinated that I wouldn't stop trying to touch the flames, so to get me to stop she slapped me a few times and then held my hand over the stove until I had blisters.

I surprised her with that memory when I was much older, since that was definitely something that she'd never brought up.
Yeah, but in reality it was different. It was you that held your mother's hand in a fire, and it was last week. Childhood memories in my experience are always part of an ongoing mental breakdown in which your inner demons coalesce into physical actions directed toward hookers. Also the mother in your memory was really a hooker.

The next consultation will be $375.

Edit: sorry if that was a bit much we can do $325

SLOSifl has a new favorite as of 02:26 on Aug 19, 2015

RNG
Jul 9, 2009

nocal posted:

I think I know what the problem is with all those studies, it's that they never studied people with Aspberger's.

Asperger's. :spergin:

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

:stonk: That's...kinda hosed up. I touched an old electric stove burner when I was like 4 or 5 and had a cool spiral burn pattern in my hand, hurt like a motherfucker but my mom never did anything like yours to keep me from doing bad stuff.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Johnny Truant?

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Ozz81 posted:

:stonk: That's...kinda hosed up. I touched an old electric stove burner when I was like 4 or 5 and had a cool spiral burn pattern in my hand, hurt like a motherfucker but my mom never did anything like yours to keep me from doing bad stuff.

Yeah, she was pretty awful until I got big enough to push back.

Another memory I have is clogging some house drain by filling it with sand so I could make a birthday cake, confirmed by my dad later when I cracked up recalling it and asked him if that actually happened

So it's definitely possible, is my point, it's just gonna be rare and fragmented mostly

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Jack Gladney posted:

See also: kids who were interrogated by the police about satanic ritual abuse and confabulated crazy memories that they still have as adults.

See also: The former sheriff who truly believes that he was the leader of a satanic cult and molested his children and made them sacrifice infants and all kinds of poo poo (read Remembering Satan by Lawrence Wright)

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

You should definitely get hold of Jean Lafontaines' to speak of the devil, a surprisingly readable anthropological study of the satanic cult scare in the UK. There are some interesting parallels with the current situation in Britain too, as this article discusses

Edit: it's worth saying that I'm not sure I believe her conclusions in the case of child abuse by celebrities in the seventies, where there very much does appear to be a substantial and evidenced agreement to quash investigations into child abuse, but there are certainly some interesting and rather creepy conclusions made about the impact of evangelical groups on British society.

lenoon has a new favorite as of 09:03 on Aug 19, 2015

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

This is an interesting article I found on Longform, about houses that have been stigmatised in some way due to death or disaster. It's not as good as the Rogers' article, but I thought it was worth a read.

https://read.atavist.com/the-ghosts-of-pickering-trail

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Who the gently caress is roger.

Nouvelle Vague
Feb 16, 2011

Endut! Hoch Hech!

lenoon posted:

You should definitely get hold of Jean Lafontaines' to speak of the devil, a surprisingly readable anthropological study of the satanic cult scare in the UK. There are some interesting parallels with the current situation in Britain too, as this article discusses

Edit: it's worth saying that I'm not sure I believe her conclusions in the case of child abuse by celebrities in the seventies, where there very much does appear to be a substantial and evidenced agreement to quash investigations into child abuse, but there are certainly some interesting and rather creepy conclusions made about the impact of evangelical groups on British society.

I've always found it curious that child abuse rings seem to go hand in hand with satanic panic. Like, our brains cannot accept the first thing happening, so there must be something more "evil" at hand. I also believe there was something going on in Britain involving systematic abuse, but it had nothing to do with the devil.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Nouvelle Vague posted:

I've always found it curious that child abuse rings seem to go hand in hand with satanic panic. Like, our brains cannot accept the first thing happening, so there must be something more "evil" at hand. I also believe there was something going on in Britain involving systematic abuse, but it had nothing to do with the devil.

They were two separate moral panics that got fused because middle-class women started going to work regularly in the late 70s and were worried about their kids in daycare. The satanic panic was already in full swing because of Dungeons and Dragons and the culture wars generally. Then you have some high-profile rapists or killers of children getting busted and it all mixes together like a beautiful poo poo sundae on the evening news.

Like everything else wrong with America, Reagan is basically the cause.

Nouvelle Vague
Feb 16, 2011

Endut! Hoch Hech!

Jack Gladney posted:

They were two separate moral panics that got fused because middle-class women started going to work regularly in the late 70s and were worried about their kids in daycare. The satanic panic was already in full swing because of Dungeons and Dragons and the culture wars generally. Then you have some high-profile rapists or killers of children getting busted and it all mixes together like a beautiful poo poo sundae on the evening news.

It doesn't just happen in America, though. Look at the Marc Dutroux case, which people think was part of a ring, and pretty much most places you see it online connect it to Satanic worship.

I don't know, I find the whole Satanic Panic thing fascinating.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Sarcopenia posted:

I'd like to think that, we're I on that jury, the four minutes of silence top demonstrate the minimum amount of time to strangle that young woman to death would be enough to convince me to vote "fry this fucker like eggs in The Chair". I wonder how the jury felt post trial, finding out about Lillian and how Sweeney nearly murder her via physical abuse multiple times.

yoctoontologist
Sep 11, 2011

Sarcopenia posted:

If it's any consolation, the judge's career was mostly destroyed by Dominick Dunne's media campaign against him.

RNG
Jul 9, 2009

yoctoontologist posted:

If it's any consolation, the judge's career was mostly destroyed by Dominick Dunne's media campaign against him.

Yeah, he namedrops all of these powerful Hollywood figures (like asking Sam Goldwyn to "talk to" the California AG about the judge) and it seems like he's painting himself as a little more powerless than he is. He apparently tried to contract a hit on Sweeney ( http://www.slate.com/articles/arts/hollywoodland/2007/08/you_dont_want_to_do_this.html ), changed his mind, and spent the next few years ruining his career and family life instead ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dominique_Dunne#Aftermath ). OTOH, dude got off light, and I'd probably do exactly the same in that position.

Doctor_Acula
May 24, 2011

Nth Doctor posted:

Johnny Truant?

:hfive:

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Jack Gladney posted:

What's so crazy is the scope this was supposed to have. Even the worst child-abuse scandals we have seen had, at most, hundreds of victims over several years. But apparently there was a genuine belief that more than 4000 kids were being murdered by satanists every year in the UK alone. That's more than ten per day. And all without leaving any hard evidence whatsoever.

Buh
May 17, 2008
I think it's just an individual variance thing where most people's memory won't kick in before five.
My memory of being really young seems to be stronger than what most other people talk about. I have lots of distinct memories from before I started school (at 5.5 years). The earliest one I can date is the birth of my cat when I was 3.5.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Ha, House of Leaves could be this whole thread. I love stuff about non-euclidean geometry.

Infyrno
Jul 24, 2003

The Duke
Are there any pictures of the cat being born? Maybe with you in the picture watching? Have you seen other cats being born in your life? I am not disagreeing with you, I believe you. I am just playing devil's advocate here. A picture would prove to you it did happen and then you could have created the memory later. Another time seeing a cat give birth could be used in your mind as what you saw when you were 3.5.

Just curious. This is really fascinating. I started to read that scientific article right after reading some SCP and I had to keep making sure I wasn't still there somehow, really bizarre.

I didn't even think about [color="blue"]House[/color] of Leaves when I read that, I need to re-read again...(I know the bbcode won't work, Im too lazy to find an image the right size.)

Infyrno has a new favorite as of 15:01 on Aug 20, 2015

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Dec 28, 2007

Kiss this and hang

I read this story today about Cocaine Bear

Even with it's kind of Gonzo presentation I think it fits in this thread.

..."That’s a lot of the ol’ booger sugar, even for a bear. Can you imagine? One minute he’s trying to find enough berries to survive another boring day in the Chattahoochee, the next minute he’s ripping fat rails of Colombian disco dust off of tree stumps and water skiing in jeans with Alan Jackson."

edit: lookit this fucker

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING
And what kicked it all off was a plane accident on.. You guessed it, September 11.

nocal
Mar 7, 2007
Various studies: your memory is not like a video recording, and in fact can be faulty. You can be convinced that you have a memory of something that didn't happen. Eyewitnesses cannot necessarily accurately recall events that have occurred minutes earlier. Memories can change over time. You have no memories during a certain portion of infancy, and no one is sure why.

Most people: wow memory is not what I thought.

Goons: no

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

nocal posted:

Various studies: your memory is not like a video recording, and in fact can be faulty. You can be convinced that you have a memory of something that didn't happen. Eyewitnesses cannot necessarily accurately recall events that have occurred minutes earlier. Memories can change over time. You have no memories during a certain portion of infancy, and no one is sure why.

Most people: wow memory is not what I thought.

Goons: no

Nobody's denying it. It's just some goons are hearing "can" and "often" etc. in the studies, and interpreting it as "always the case." Other goons are responding with "well, as the studies themselves say, it's not always necessarily the case and there's some individual variance." For some reason, the first group takes issue with that.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

I have a couple of memories of when I was like 3 years old that I'm confident are real (because my parents weren't around), but that it's. It's like 2 vague memories (once I was looked out of the house while playing, the other one is watching a horror movie on TV).

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
Unsettlingly, I have a repressed memory of something that happened when I was around 10 years old, when I accidentally injured someone else while horsing around. I know it happened because lots of other people remember it, but for me it's a total blank. I just didn't want to remember it so I didn't - not the actual incident or even the fact that I had been involved in this person's injury at all - until 2 or 3 years later when someone brought it up and I thought they were totally imagining things.

So I don't trust my early childhood memories at all. They could be from dreams, or TV, or just made up, or they could be totally real but I know I can't be completely sure.

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
One day people are gonna be recorded from the minute they're squeezed out of momma's 'giney and their kids are never gonna understand why they can't remember anything in first person until a certain age.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Nobody's denying it. It's just some goons are hearing "can" and "often" etc. in the studies, and interpreting it as "always the case." Other goons are responding with "well, as the studies themselves say, it's not always necessarily the case and there's some individual variance." For some reason, the first group takes issue with that.

Exactly. Hell, sometimes you can't convince somebody that something happened, even though you know for a fact they were there.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

yoctoontologist posted:

It indeed is. Thanks :unsmith:

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
One of the best personal examples I had of the changeability of memory was seeing a couple of movies recently that I hadn't seen since childhood. There were a few scenes that I'd thought about over the decades and upon this fresh viewing realized that my memories had become quite different from reality. As someone who prides himself on having a good memory it was a reminder that we're all subject to the liquid nature of memory.

That said from time to time I'll bring up with family an event from the distant past and see shock when they realize they'd all but forgotten something meaningful. But at the same time I've talked about unpleasant stuff from our childhood with my brother (who's a little older) and he has no recollection at all. It's like I've become the guardian of all the lovely stuff from when we were kids. He feels much less burdened because he simply doesn't remember the bad things.

Nouvelle Vague
Feb 16, 2011

Endut! Hoch Hech!
I was hit by a car once and was unconscious for the better part of a day in the hospital. After coming out, I had a distinct memory of the accident itself, but everyone who was around told me that wasn't what happened (I remembered being in the middle of the road and it happened on the side, I remember the look of the car as different than what it was, etc.) It's like my brain saw this gap in my memory and decided to just fill it in with random things that might make sense. To this day, my false memory still feels very, very real to me.

Brains are weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nouvelle Vague
Feb 16, 2011

Endut! Hoch Hech!
Quote is not edit.