Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Art.

e: Artists rendition of the next Splatfest: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7GeisRaias

what is there wonderful show i have never seen,(except for Beast Wars), do to not hating Transformers: Armada.

edit: That too.

Fix posted:

Fuckin Michael Bay, ruining this genius. God.

Jarogue fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Aug 19, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Ernie Muppari posted:

that's nice and all but this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElokgCX37-4

is the song of my people

That was in Transformers? I was 4 when it came out so I picked up movie stuff via cultural osmosis.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Bruceski posted:

That was in Transformers? I was 4 when it came out so I picked up movie stuff via cultural osmosis.

Yup, it was in a scene on the Junkions planet.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Fuckin Michael Bay, ruining this genius. God.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

The motion controls make a huge diference. I also thought for some stupid reason that the points you got at the end were related to what paint you had on the course AT THE END, which made me hunt for small stupid areas instead of just painting everything along the way.

I really am starting to get the love that Splatoon gets.

And then there's the rotation for maps, which is frankly infuriating. I could see this being an interesting mechanic if there were ANY variation in modes, but apparently the ranked battle mode itself is ALSO on a rotation timer.

That, plus the whole "LOL wait a day for new items" inventory horseshit really discourages me from playing Splatoon the way I want to.

The game basically wants me to boot it up and play a few matches every day, as opposed to sitting down and actually playing for a few hours.

The rotation fuckery, the randomized inventory nonsense, and some bizarre interface choices (I have to leave the group I'm currently playing matches against if I want to switch my weapon between matches? The gently caress?) really leave a sour taste with me.

The core mechanics are borderline genius. Its all the stuff around it that pains me.

Narcissus1916 fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Aug 19, 2015

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
The freshest e-sport player will get 1 million in cold hard cash

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Blue moon of Kentucky keep on shinin'...

Kurtofan posted:

Puzzles & Dragons is esports now? :psyduck:

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The JP Splatoon account posted some new details for their nationwide tournament: http://tokaigi.jp/gp/game/splatoon.html

The qualifiers will be held in 8 different cities over the next few months, with the winning teams from each tournament entered into the finals which will be held on the weekend of January 30 at Makuhari Messe.

Format: 4v4 Turf War; standard matches will be one game long, semi-finals and finals will be best of three

Weapon: any (weapons released within 24 hours of a tournament will not be allowed)

Gear: Squid Hairclip (Swim Speed Up), School Uniform (Ink Recovery Up), School Shoes (Ink Saver)

Maps: Arowana Mall, Blackbelly Skatepark, Saltspray Rig, Urchin Underpass, Walleye Warehouse (random)

Version: whatever the latest version happens to be 24 hours before each tournament

Kurtofan posted:

I, uh, didn't see any mention of prize money. Maybe I should read the fine print... that has to primarily be PAD money, surely.

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Aug 19, 2015

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
wait, you're required to use amiibo gear?

Narcissus1916 posted:

That, plus the whole "LOL wait a day for new items" inventory horseshit really discourages me from playing Splatoon the way I want to.

you can mitigate this by ordering stuff from spyke, although it'll be more expensive than buying it from the stores.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Rocketlex posted:

Actually yes, I misspoke. Beast Machines was my jam. Beast Wars was like a crappy unaired pilot except it...was aired...for multiple seasons...

Beast Wars introduced the best Megatron the entire franchise has ever known, had the not messed up version of Silverbolt, AND had the best opening song in that era of cartoons. DUH-DA-DA-DA-DAA DUH-DA-DA-DA-DA-DAA BAH-WAH-NAH. Beast Machines was a great closer to the most golden of TF eras, but do not front on the awesome Reboot-glory of Beast Wars.

arcsig
May 29, 2015

The tournament is Turf War? Seriously?

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

arcsig posted:

Hahaha what the gently caress.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

arcsig posted:

It's an open tournament and Turf War's designed so anyone can play and succeed. Besides, have you seen the average player in the Ranked Modes?

Caerulius
Jun 23, 2007

This was a waste of $5.
Beast Wars also had Dinobot, who was a cool dude.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Caerulius posted:

Beast Wars also had Dinobot, who was a cool dude.

Dinobot was an angry jerkface. I miss Dinobot. :(

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?
Have I been misremembering Beast Wars this entire time? I thought Dinobot WAS Grimlock.

JimsonTheBetrayer
Oct 13, 2010

Game's over, and fuck you Jimson. It's not my fault that you guys couldn't get your shit together by deadline. No one gets access to docs because I don't fucking care anymore, I hope you all enjoyed ruining my game, and there won't be another.
Rainmaker makes me scream at the children on my T.V. Like seriously, I don't care how old you are, if you are B rank and up you should have some vague idea of the strategy required to succeed in each match. WHY IS IT YOU INSIST ON TAKING THE ONE PATH THATS OBVIOUSLY DESIGNED TO GIVE THE OTHER TEAM THE ADVANTAGE.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Kurtofan posted:

That's, uh, not how it works. That 1 million will be split up across every game, and every paying placement.

For an example grabbed at random, G-League 2015 was advertised as having a $45,000 prize pool. The first place team got $32,700, second got $8,100 and third and fourth each got $1,640.

Those are also teams of five, so it's split five ways*.

*This almost never actually works this way. Usually you play for a team, and the team gets all reward monies and doesn't split it up across the players. In return, you get paid a steady income paid by the team owners, which comes from tournament rewards, sponsorship deals, etc.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Chill Penguin posted:

Have I been misremembering Beast Wars this entire time? I thought Dinobot WAS Grimlock.

Grimlock was the leader of the "Dinobots" Autobot subgroup, but Dinobot was a specific Beast Wars velociraptor Predacon.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Imagine tens (hundreds?) of thousands of dollars riding on the last 30 seconds of a turf war. Splatoon is the best game.

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?

Tender Bender posted:

Imagine tens (hundreds?) of thousands of dollars riding on the last 30 seconds of a turf war. Splatoon is the best game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5cLbj37wmE

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

Tender Bender posted:

Imagine, thousands of dollars , taken away from a team by a last second inkstrike.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Tengames posted:

Imagine, thousands of dollars , taken away from a team by a last second inkstrike.

Can't wait for the movie.

Coming soon... Inkvictous.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
If the tournament doesn't end with 8 simultaneous inkstrikes I will be disappointed.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Fooley posted:

Puzzles & Dragons is esports now? :psyduck:

Yeah, I'm kinda lost on how that's supposed to work too.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

OK, after sleeping on it, I have decided to join Team Decepticons. Purple is the superior color, after all! Incidentally, this'll be the first time I'm on Team Marie... I've always picked Callie's team up to now!

One thing they have to do though is make Autobots locked to Good Guys on the results screen and Decepticons locked to Bad Guys.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Kashuno posted:

If the tournament doesn't end with 8 simultaneous inkstrikes I will be disappointed.

That's what I was about to say.

Probably everybody just stack inkstrikes, game comes down to who picked where to strike and who waited until the last possible second.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Turf War

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

According to that old Transformers thread in CD the Autobots are villains so Team Decepticon all the way. I don't want to fight for Optimus Prime AKA brutal deathmaniac who refuses to save his people. Purple is the best color so that's just ink on the cake.

I mean who thinks this is acceptable behavior? Totally unfresh Optimus Prime.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tE3uMlC-tME

I did a lot better in both tower control and rainmaker when I switched over to weapons that had the specials designed for controlling space through invincibility, especially the kraken. It's amazing how long you can avoid a couple of people firing at you around the pole in the middle of the tower then use the kraken right when you're screwed.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Ive made a whole room of nerds extremely mad by saying Beast Wars is the superior Transformers show. I'm sorry for speaking the truth, assholes.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Gutcruncher posted:

Ive made a whole room of nerds extremely mad by saying Beast Wars is the superior Transformers show. I'm sorry for speaking the truth, assholes.

The truth is always painful to hear :hfive:. Transformers Prime is also fantastic.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

Gutcruncher posted:

Nearly anyone who has watched most/all of the shows will agree with this one

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Deceptive Thinker posted:

Nearly anyone who has watched most/all of the shows will agree with this one

No kidding. Beast Wars has the best villain in any TF franchise.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Gutcruncher posted:

Optimus Primal is the best Optimus.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Gutcruncher posted:

Beast Machines is better than Beast Wars.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

jivjov posted:

Beast Machines is better than Beast Wars.

In terms of HIPPIE AGENDA, yeah.

Caerulius
Jun 23, 2007

This was a waste of $5.
Didn't they transform using the power of feelings and obscure the actual transformation with colored lights?

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Beast Machines was odd.

Very, VERY odd.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
I rented a Beast Wars video game once only to find out you weren't allowed to play as the cool rear end robots with the guns you had to play as a loving rat or whatever because of the robocancer that only their beast forms could prevent or whatever the gently caress gently caress that game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

comingafteryouall posted:

According to that old Transformers thread in CD the Autobots are villains so Team Decepticon all the way. I don't want to fight for Optimus Prime AKA brutal deathmaniac who refuses to save his people. Purple is the best color so that's just ink on the cake.

I mean who thinks this is acceptable behavior? Totally unfresh Optimus Prime.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tE3uMlC-tME

More like who thinks this is acceptable movie-making

Get this trash out of here

• Locked thread