Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
i get really upset when a book makes references to anything i don't understand or uses big words or fails in any way to spoon feed me like a babbling idiot child

i have never read anything besides genre fiction

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

End Of Worlds posted:

i get really upset when a book makes references to anything i don't understand or uses big words or fails in any way to spoon feed me like a babbling idiot child

Especially considering religious mythology is basically fantasy.
Greek, Norse and Indian mythology is actually pretty cool fantasy when you think about it.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Io9 has an exclusive excerpt from This Census Taker up on their site : http://io9.com/heres-a-first-look-at-china-mievilles-harrowing-new-nov-1724499907

They also have the synopsis :

quote:

In a remote house on a hilltop, a lonely boy witnesses a profoundly traumatic event. He tries - and fails - to flee. Left alone with his increasingly deranged parent, he dreams of safety, of joining the other children in the town below, of escape.

When at last a stranger knocks at his door, the boy senses that his days of isolation might be over.

But by what authority does this man keep the meticulous records he carries? What is the purpose behind his questions? Is he friend? Enemy? Or something else altogether?

Filled with beauty, terror, and strangeness, This Census-Taker is a poignant and riveting exploration of memory and identity.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
The US publisher really needs a better cover designer.

Hard Clumping
Mar 19, 2008

Y'ALL BREADY
FOR THIS

End Of Worlds posted:

I personally found Don Quixote to be complete gibberish. Seems like every single word was some outside reference they didn't bother to explain.

BigSkillet
Nov 27, 2003
I said teaberry, not sandalwood!

Hedrigall posted:

The US publisher really needs a better cover designer.

MountainThatKindaLooksLikeAGlans.jpg

I'm buying the hardcover and taking the dust jacket off because everybody I know is going to notice that.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Maybe that is exactly what it is supposed to look like.

Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

Drops: human teeth
Looking forward to eight pages of intimate mechanical detail describing someone making love to Bellend Mountain

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
BBC is going ahead with production for the 4-hour miniseries based on The City & the City!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/latestnews/2015/the-city-and-the-city

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I really want to see how they're going to pull off the whole premise of the book visually without looking completely stupid. I mean... careful yay?

Dirty Frank
Jul 8, 2004

anilEhilated posted:

I really want to see how they're going to pull off the whole premise of the book visually without looking completely stupid. I mean... careful yay?

If they go with the reading where there's nothing supernatural at all and the citizens ignore each other like we ignore the homeless then it's... well still not easy actually.
Looking forward to it.

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

Dirty Frank posted:

If they go with the reading where there's nothing supernatural at all and the citizens ignore each other like we ignore the homeless then it's... well still not easy actually.
Looking forward to it.

I'd like it to appear possibly supernatural at start, then it turns out it likely isn't. That shift in perspective I had while reading was one of my favorite things about the book and I'd hate for the show to miss out on that.

Hard Clumping
Mar 19, 2008

Y'ALL BREADY
FOR THIS
I was never clear on Breach specifically. The words Mieville used to describe how he moved around seemed very purposefully supernatural, but that could all have easily been written from Borlu's newly-hosed perspective.

Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

So I just finished (and loved) Iron Council, meaning I've finished the Bas-Lag trilogy completely now. Where do I go with Miéville from here? The only other book of his I've read (and also loved) was London's Overthrow, and I own the essay collection Red Planets.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Gertrude Perkins posted:

So I just finished (and loved) Iron Council, meaning I've finished the Bas-Lag trilogy completely now. Where do I go with Miéville from here? The only other book of his I've read (and also loved) was London's Overthrow, and I own the essay collection Red Planets.

I would go with either Railsea (because it has the same sort of fantastical setting, though with a slightly different tone) or Embassytown (It is science fiction, but it is another "big" book from him, that is comparable in quality to the bas-lag books)

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.
Where do you go from Iron Council? Guess it's time for favorites charts!

1. The Scar
2. Perdido Street Station
3. Kraken
4. Embassytown
5. 3 Moments in an Explosion
6. The City & The City
7. Iron Council
8. Railsea

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012
Ranking them is hard, because I think pretty much all of them are at worst still very solid books, but...

1. The City & the City
2. The Scar
3. Perdido Street Station
4. Embassytown
5. Kraken
6. Three Moments of an Explosion
7. Looking for Jake
8. Un Lun Dun
9. Railsea
10. King Rat
11. Iron Council

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
1. Perdido Street station
2. Embassytown
3. Iron Council
4. The Scar
5. Railsea
6. The City and the City
7. Un Lun Dun
8. Three Moments of an Explosion
9. Looking for Jake
10. Kraken

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
If you're interested, I ran a poll over at my blog where people voted for their 3 favourites: https://outtherebooks.wordpress.com/2015/08/09/poll-choose-your-3-favourite-china-mieville-books/

The top 5 have consistently been PSS, The Scar, TC&TC, Embassytown, and Iron Council.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.

Hedrigall posted:

If you're interested, I ran a poll over at my blog where people voted for their 3 favourites: https://outtherebooks.wordpress.com/2015/08/09/poll-choose-your-3-favourite-china-mieville-books/

The top 5 have consistently been PSS, The Scar, TC&TC, Embassytown, and Iron Council.

PSS, The Scar, and Iron Council should really just count as one, to give a more honest approximation of the other novels he's written.

Also if you don't like Krakren then I have a different opinion than you.

And I am subtly indicating that your opinion is wrong.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

People really like Three Moments more than Looking for Jake???

I loved Säcken and The Dowager of Bees don't get me wrong but Looking for Jake owned bones, guys.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Xiahou Dun posted:

People really like Three Moments more than Looking for Jake???

For some reason Looking for Jake is really forgettable to me, i have read it twice but most of the stories just don't stick out.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Oasx posted:

For some reason Looking for Jake is really forgettable to me, i have read it twice but most of the stories just don't stick out.
Yeah, I really only remeber that one story that began and ended with a Borges reference. And even the fact this is what I remember about it is rather indicative.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Huh. Maybe I'm weird then.

I loved Foundations, The Ball Room, Familiar, Details, The Tain, etc. Even that weird Christmas one.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I still think it is a good book, apart from Kraken i haven't read anything from Mieville that isn't good, i just think most of his other work is better.

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

Kraken is the only thing by CM that I haven't read because I hear it's so terrible. Why is it so bad?

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

Transistor Rhythm posted:

Kraken is the only thing by CM that I haven't read because I hear it's so terrible. Why is it so bad?

I really liked it, but I remember when it came out it got criticized because it's fairly fluffy and light. It's been a few years since I've read it but if I'm remembering it correctly it's really more of a fun comedic adventure story than his normal stuff. It doesn't have the unsettling creepy vibe most of his books have, and there isn't really a strong underlying social message.

If you think you won't get annoyed at stuff like Chaos Nazis and weird Star Trek shut-in ghosts, give it a shot.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Transistor Rhythm posted:

It's not. It is way more relaxed and less serious than his other books and generally a much more grounded urban fantasy.
King Rat is the terrible one.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
It's not BAD it's just not really in line with his other books in terms of literary merit, or gravitas. It almost reads like a mashup of neil gaiman and terry pratchett.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Kraken was a decent book, i just really didn't like it.

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth

anilEhilated posted:

It's not. It is way more relaxed and less serious than his other books and generally a much more grounded urban fantasy.
King Rat is the terrible one.

King Rat is legit pretty bad.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Embassytown
Iron Council
The first 1/3 of Perdido Street Station
Everything Else
the last 2/3s of Perdido Street Station
Kraken

I haven't read King Rat, Un Lun Dun, or The City & The City, though.

e: Kraken is terrible because it's indistinguishable from a Neil Gaiman novel. I can forgive Neil Gaiman for being Neil Gaiman, I can't forgive it in someone who can actually write.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Aerox posted:

Ranking them is hard, because I think pretty much all of them are at worst still very solid books, but...

1. The City & the City
2. The Scar
3. Perdido Street Station
4. Embassytown
5. Kraken
6. Three Moments of an Explosion
7. Looking for Jake
8. Un Lun Dun
9. Railsea
10. King Rat
11. Iron Council

This is my list too except I haven't read numbers 6 to 10. TC & TC is still my fav!

thetechnoloser
Feb 11, 2003

Say hello to post-apocalyptic fun!
Grimey Drawer
I'm a bit of a rebel, I guess, judging by the prior responses.

1) Embassytown
2) Perdido Street Station
3) The Scar
4) Iron Council.
5) Railsea

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I don't think I've done mine recently in this thread.

1. The Scar
2. IC
3. Embassytown
4. PSS
5. Railsea
6. TC&TC
7. Three Moments
8. Kraken
9. LFJ
10. Un Lun Dun
11. King Rat

Booooo anyone who puts Iron Council last. Booo, not cool!

Hedrigall fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Sep 18, 2015

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

Hedrigall posted:

Booooo anyone who puts Iron Council last. Booo, not cool!

1. IC
2. The Scar
3. Dial H (17 issues it sure counts)
4. PSS
5. Kraken
6. TC&TC (although thinking of it along the lines of a forced willful disassociation makes me want to re-read)

Prob should get on Embassytown and Railsea.

Also, Kraken was good because even though I love and adore Sandman and American Gods, Neverwhere is shite, and Kraken was a wilder, better version.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

SaviourX posted:

3. Dial H (17 issues it sure counts)

Hmm, on my list I'd slot Dial H in between Kraken and LFJ. It was fun, and it had its really clever moments, but just seemed a tiny bit shallow in its worldbuilding because it had to be shackled to all the DC crap. It really came into its own in the last 4-5 issues though, with all the reality hopping.

Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

I have Embassytown on order at my local bookshop, and I'm excited.

Speaking of Dial H, I only have the first trade - is the second one also China's writing? Is it worth getting either way?

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
All of Dial H was written by China, from go to whoa. The second trade is WAAAY better and more Miéville-esque.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Notahippie posted:

King Rat is legit pretty bad.

King Rat was his first novel: he was very much finding his feet with it. I think all the references to jungle music date it beautifully :3: