Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

Baal posted:

Oh wait, I was wrong, these are the good jrpgs. These are the only ones I've played too, I'm sure some people are willing to speak up for Etrian Odyssey and a few of the Tales games. Maybe there's like one guy somewhere who'll stick up for Ni No Kuni, but he's crazy don't believe him.

I am that guy, I will stick up for Ni no Kuni. It is a good game for good people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013
The only JRPGs that I've ever played to completion in my life are Xenoblade and Paper Mario and I love them both to bits.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Davinci posted:

The only JRPGs that I've ever played to completion in my life are Xenoblade and Paper Mario and I love them both to bits.

Please play The World Ends With You

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

TheKingofSprings posted:

Not an emptyquote

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Xenoblade is what a new Phantasy Star would play like if they didn't go the MMO route.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

The Taint Reaper posted:

Xenoblade is what a new Phantasy Star would play like if they didn't go the MMO route.

Xenoblade plays like an offline PSO though? I've played Phantasy Star IV and Xenoblade might be similar superficially maybe?

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013

TheKingofSprings posted:

Your prompt and succinct reply has resonated with me. I've added it to my Amazon wishlist and will purchase it when I stop being unemployed.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Xenoblade is the best jrpg since Skies of Arcadia, the previous high point in the genre. Honourable mentions go to Persona 4, Radiant Historia and Bravely Default for also being pretty good.

The World Ends With You is good for the first two thirds of the game and then turns into unplayable trash, Beat can just go to hell

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Love the Skies of Arcadia Title Theme.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I tried to play Bravely Default twice and couldn't get into it. The combat system was fine, but the dialogue just bothered me. At least in Xenoblade, aside from the odd off the cuff inspirational speech, people talk like people.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Jsor posted:

I tried to play Bravely Default twice and couldn't get into it. The combat system was fine, but the dialogue just bothered me. At least in Xenoblade, aside from the odd off the cuff inspirational speech, people talk like people.

The British aren't people.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.

Baal posted:

Lightning Returns Final Fantasy XIII

Are you for real man.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Suaimhneas posted:

Xenoblade is the best jrpg since Skies of Arcadia, the previous high point in the genre. Honourable mentions go to Persona 4, Radiant Historia and Bravely Default for also being pretty good.

This is a great list of good but vastly overrated games, and I say that as somebody who loved Radiant Historia.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Xenoblade is a good rpg play that

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

don't play xenobladex though, it's an icecream tub with a core of literal pedophilia

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Suaimhneas posted:

The World Ends With You is good for the first two thirds of the game and then turns into unplayable trash, Beat can just go to hell

what even the gently caress

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Xenoblade is a good rpg play that

:hfive: agreed my man

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

Motto posted:

don't play xenobladex though, it's an icecream tub with a core of literal pedophilia

Oh no a feature that is completely avoidable how terrible.

Seriously is it that hard to not use the skimpy outfits and fully clothe your teammates.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

Seriously is it that hard to not use the skimpy outfits and fully clothe your teammates.

Based off Xenoblade it would probably be surprisingly difficult! The best armor I had for large chunks of the game amounted to either "barely clothed" or "literallly swimwear" for some character.

That said having Shulk running around in Oil armor during the dramatic stuff involving the Monado near the end of the game made it much much more hilarious.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I was joking.

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

I am aware of what the hands look like. I did my best. :(

Louisgod posted:

gently caress all of y'all.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Baal posted:

Several Atelier games
NIER
Valkyria Chronicles
FF Type-0
The FFXV Demo
Lightning Returns Final Fantasy XIII
Dragon Ball Z: Attack of the Saiyans
The Mario & Luigi RPGs
Tons of SMT games that are not named Strange Journey
The World Ends With You
Bravely Default
Fire Emblem Awakening
Fate/Extra
Kingdom Hearts Birth By Sleep

Oh wait, I was wrong, these are the good jrpgs. These are the only ones I've played too, I'm sure some people are willing to speak up for Etrian Odyssey and a few of the Tales games. Maybe there's like one guy somewhere who'll stick up for Ni No Kuni, but he's crazy don't believe him.

Type-0 is way loving worse than Xenoblade. It is not a good game.

I bought and beat the DBZ game as well but I wouldn't call it a good JRPG. It was fine and playable but is really only good if you're a DBZ nerd.

That's a pretty padded list if I've ever seen one. I'll give you credit for not trying to put trash like the Neptunia games on it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Black Stones posted:

I bought and beat the DBZ game as well but I wouldn't call it a good JRPG. It was fine and playable but is really only good if you're a DBZ nerd.

That's a pretty padded list if I've ever seen one. I'll give you credit for not trying to put trash like the Neptunia games on it.

The DBZ game was literally made by the same developer who made Xenoblade. :ssh:

Also it isn't really a padded list. It's actually missing quite a lot of games. Radiant Historia for example, most of the Tales games, anything Super Robot Wars related, the Rune Factory franchise, Fantasy Life, ect, ect, ect. Not every single one may be to your flavor but there's actually quite a lot of good ones. They're just largely handheld-focused because... well, handhelds are cheaper and more popular in Japan. There's a lot of poo poo too but the idea that Xenoblade is de-facto best because everything else is terrible is silly.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Aug 19, 2015

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

ImpAtom posted:

The DBZ game was literally made by the same developer who made Xenoblade. :ssh:

There's a lot of poo poo too but the idea that Xenoblade is de-facto best because everything else is terrible is silly.

Yes. I know it's by the same company. It also does not have the same staff, and can still be not that great of a game.

I never said Xenoblade is the defacto best because everything else is garbage. However I do take issue with people using Type loving 0 if all things as examples of good JRPG's. I love JRPG's and I agree that there are tons and tons of great ones since the PS2 era. Xenoblade simply clicked with me though and I loved almost everything about it but will readily admit it has some bad flaws. Most games do! Xenoblade is personally one of my favourite JRPG's but it's not out of some notion that the genre is poo poo like I'm now being told that's the only reason I like it so much.

Was Xenoblade overhyped because it was a Wii JRPG and Wii fans were starving for anything remotely good? I have no doubt about it. I still think it's a great game regardless.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Finally, the thread is negative enough to post this and get away with it.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

RareAcumen posted:

Nah this is still the worst post in the thread.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

RareAcumen posted:

This guy seems more mad that he has to interact with people who have different political leanings than he is at the video games themselves. This is unacceptable. There is nothing more worthy of being angry towards than video games.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

RareAcumen posted:

:cripes:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I won't have any liberal leftist garbage in my video games which have 90% plots about tolerance, understanding and the power of friendship and unity to overcome obstacles largely personified by the military-industrial complex, atomic bombs, evil corporations or a mix of the three.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Normalfag and proud

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Xavier434 posted:

This guy seems more mad that he has to interact with people who have different political leanings than he is at the video games themselves. This is unacceptable. There is nothing more worthy of being angry towards than video games.

I hate to demonstrate any knowledge about this sort of thing, but the oddest thing about the kind of people that would make images like that is that they complain about anime even more than goons, somehow classifying it under "casuals and normals ruining my videogames", but then throw a fit over the slightest edit in a localized game, calling it "censorship".

ImpAtom posted:

I won't have any liberal leftist garbage in my video games which have 90% plots about tolerance, understanding and the power of friendship and unity to overcome obstacles largely personified by the military-industrial complex, atomic bombs, evil corporations or a mix of the three.

Don't forget the guys that complain about modern sci-fi movies and the like being ruined by having political messages "forced in". :v:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Motto posted:

I hate to demonstrate any knowledge about this sort of thing, but the oddest thing about the kind of people that would make images like that is that they complain about anime even more than goons, somehow classifying it under "casuals and normals ruining my videogames", but then throw a fit over the slightest edit in a localized game, calling it "censorship".

See, for example, putting more clothes on one of the girls in Bravely Default's class change outfits. And I wanna say the same amount of bitching came from adding another three years to the ages of the girls in Senran Kagura but I'm not sure.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

RareAcumen posted:

finally, finally i can make a bad post

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

RareAcumen posted:

See, for example, putting more clothes on one of the girls in Bravely Default's class change outfits. And I wanna say the same amount of bitching came from adding another three years to the ages of the girls in Senran Kagura but I'm not sure.

Or editing images in Vita games that would literally get an AO rating otherwise.

e: Those kind of people's views on localization are so horribly warped that they think of 8-4 and the Nintendo Treehouse as bad localization groups.

Motto fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Aug 19, 2015

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
So the era of Working Designs was the golden age of good video games/JRPGs?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Fungah! posted:

finally, finally i can make a bad post

hey, shitpost on your own don't crib off of mine

Motto posted:

Or editing images in Vita games that would literally get an AO rating otherwise.

e: Those kind of people's views on localization are so horribly warped that they think of 8-4 and the Nintendo Treehouse as bad localization groups.

Perhaps I'm a bit of an rear end in a top hat but I don't think anyone unironically using the term 'Normalfag' is gonna have decent views on anything ever. That's my way of profiling I guess! And then that little cereal eating smilie would go here if I knew what the gently caress it was called, godammit

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Are you for real man.

I will fight you

The Black Stones posted:

And you

Andrast posted:

Calling Type-0 good is a bit too complimentary. That game is average at best.

And you

BrightWing posted:

I am that guy, I will stick up for Ni no Kuni. It is a good game for good people.

Not you though, you're a nice guy

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

RareAcumen posted:

hey, shitpost on your own don't crib off of mine

Perhaps I'm a bit of an rear end in a top hat but I don't think anyone unironically using the term 'Normalfag' is gonna have decent views on anything ever. That's my way of profiling I guess! And then that little cereal eating smilie would go here if I knew what the gently caress it was called, godammit

shut the gently caress up idiot

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Crabtree posted:

So the era of Working Designs was the golden age of good video games/JRPGs?

If you didn't like Lunar and Lunar 2, then you can just see yourself out the door, bitch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

Motto posted:

I was joking.

My bad, sometimes it's hard to tell who's joking or not in this thread.

Baal posted:

I will fight you

Come to Gaur Plain in 15 minutes if you want an rear end-kicking

• Locked thread