Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tev
Aug 13, 2008

DevNull posted:

https://labs.vmware.com/flings/vnc-server-and-vnc-client

OK, now I can talk about it. :)

Probably boring to most people, but a lot of us use this for working remotely. I spend the last week in Seattle connected to my linux desktop in Palo Alto with it, and work from home with it all the time as well. I've also use it to play Skyrim over a hotel wireless during a convention with lovely networking. It was showing some artifacts with the compress during that, but still pretty impressive. It works really well with low bandwidth. It's the same VNC code that your VMRC connection uses now. There was a bunch of politics that kept this from launching for 7 months, so we already have a bunch of plans for another release. The main thing we want to add is a UI, and support for a Mac client.

Very cool man! I used to play WoW over VNC from a work machine. I can't imagine Skyrim on VNC, but it sounds like something fun to mess around with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

And sometimes is seen a strange spot in the sky
A human being that was given to fly

evol262 posted:

Will the next release be under an open license? This looks really nice, but I'm wondering about integrating the server with other stuff...

The license will basically be the same. I think we have used more open source stuff, but we just have to audit it to include the disclosures. I didn't even look at what VMware adds.

For all of our code, we only use BSD/MIT type licenses. I think LGPL is ok as well.

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

I just realized that I forgot to mention a cool with with using our server/client on both ends. We remote sound too.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

DevNull posted:

Probably boring to most people, but a lot of us use this for working remotely. I spend the last week in Seattle connected to my linux desktop in Palo Alto with it, and work from home with it all the time as well. I've also use it to play Skyrim over a hotel wireless during a convention with lovely networking. It was showing some artifacts with the compress during that, but still pretty impressive. It works really well with low bandwidth. It's the same VNC code that your VMRC connection uses now. There was a bunch of politics that kept this from launching for 7 months, so we already have a bunch of plans for another release. The main thing we want to add is a UI, and support for a Mac client.

Add support for a Mac client and I will literally .. do something .. install it, I guess. I mean I'm really excited about this but I can't think of anything outlandish to do. Nor will I :haw:

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

Martytoof posted:

Add support for a Mac client and I will literally .. do something .. install it, I guess. I mean I'm really excited about this but I can't think of anything outlandish to do. Nor will I :haw:

That is my number one request as well, we just have not had the time to make it happen. I spent the last week in Seattle connected to my machine in Palo Alto that runs the server on Linux. I use Jolly's Fast VNC on my Macbook Air, and it was really good. We have a crazy plan to make the UI much better moving forward, which will also give us a client for Mac. Now that we have done a release, we don't have nearly as much bureaucracy to deal with for updates.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I decided to install ESXi on my old computer for pure loving-around purposes. After some fun getting it to recognize the NIC (and it working successfully after that, yay), I was surprised by the need for a license. I guess the license was free, and it's already installed, but now I'm wondering: is there anything else about this (like maybe the admin client?) that's not actually free?

dhrusis
Jan 19, 2004
searching...
hey guys quick question that I thought I'd ask here -

I have a host machine with a VM guest, running Ubuntu 14.04. I have the guest running in NAT mode, and the guest can see IPs on the host's wired network. Problem is, the host cannot ping the guest. I think its because I am connected via OpenVPN on the host.

Is the host supposed to be able to ping the guest VM when the guest is NAT'd (sharing the Hosts's IP address)? I've searched all over with no good solution here - I tried adding routes with no dice.

Kachunkachunk
Jun 6, 2011

Ciaphas posted:

I decided to install ESXi on my old computer for pure loving-around purposes. After some fun getting it to recognize the NIC (and it working successfully after that, yay), I was surprised by the need for a license. I guess the license was free, and it's already installed, but now I'm wondering: is there anything else about this (like maybe the admin client?) that's not actually free?

Mostly just the stuff that vCenter Server offers. I don't really think you'll see more sign of that. What feature did you try to play with which wanted a license?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Kachunkachunk posted:

Mostly just the stuff that vCenter Server offers. I don't really think you'll see more sign of that. What feature did you try to play with which wanted a license?

None, I just saw the 60 Days Left message somewhere (I think it was when I launched the vSphere Client) and got worried.

I don't even know what half this software is. vCenter Server, vSphere Client, vSphere Web Client which is apparently completely different from vSphere Client??? :downs:

madsushi
Apr 19, 2009

Baller.
#essereFerrari

DevNull posted:

Can you compare it to existing VNC solutions? Better support for low bandwidth?

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

madsushi posted:

Can you compare it to existing VNC solutions? Better support for low bandwidth?

We do a lot of adaptive work on the server side to reduce the bandwidth used. I think some of the heuristics have changed since I worked on it, but I know we use to only send PNG updates for text regions and when there was low bandwidth. We also measure bandwidth and adapt the compression as needed. So we will compress JPG updates more if you have a low bandwidth connection. It will build to lossless. This is all done by the server, you don't have to select any type of connection like some VNC implementation.

We also support mouse grab like you get with a VM. And sound. This version unfortunately doesn't grab the sound from the linux server, but it will stream sound if you connect to a VM that has VNC enabled. The next version should have better sound support.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Ciaphas posted:

None, I just saw the 60 Days Left message somewhere (I think it was when I launched the vSphere Client) and got worried.

I don't even know what half this software is. vCenter Server, vSphere Client, vSphere Web Client which is apparently completely different from vSphere Client??? :downs:

The license it comes baked in with is the full Enterprise Plus in eval mode. When you register ESXi with your VMware account they give you the perpetual ESXi free license that locks down all the fancy features you have to pay for and stops bugging you. The vCenter server is what gets you the web client and those are entirely optional, paid components. The standard thick client doesn't have licensing per se, it just honors the licensing of whatever you are connecting to (direct ESXi host or vCenter instance). Until you're 60 days is up you could put up a instance of vCenter on a VM and manage the host through that, but you don't really get in to any of the good stuff until you have two+ identical hosts running in a cluster.

Kachunkachunk
Jun 6, 2011

Ciaphas posted:

You got it so far! So vCenter Server is a management application, to sell it rather short. When deployed and licensed, you get additional features, not just centralized management, and pretty much just interact with that to get to your hosts and VMs from thereon. With it you get all the stuff that multiple hosts would make sense for (such as High Availability).

The vSphere Client is a legacy client that runs on a desktop. You can use it with hosts directly, or with vCenter Server and its exposed functions/features will more or less adapt to whichever product you connect with (so a lot more stuff shows up when you connect to VC).

The Web Client is the "Next Gen Client" that depends on Flash. It's not the most favourite design choice around, but I believe it was formulated when HTML5 wasn't mature enough for adoption. I don't get why Flash made sense in such a situation, but here we are. In any case, it's installed for use with vCenter Server and includes access to even more features that the regular vSphere Client will not see (it's legacy after all).

You'll occasionally see exciting news and developments from the likes of DevNull when it comes to client stuff, including the HTML5 client. Lots of folks are real hopeful for that one.

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

Kachunkachunk posted:

HTML5 client. Lots of folks are real hopeful for that one.

Hopefully the success of the embedded host client (I hate the name) will convince the higher ups that we need to focus on html5 and dump flash fast. I've been watching this trainwreck for something like 5 years now.

So if you want to see that succeed, leave a comment on the Fling page saying how you hate the web UI, and how much you love the embedded client.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

I personally am a big fan of the massive memory leaks that are caused by the flash client running on Firefox to the point that I can't leave it open for more than an hour without all ram being exhausted and the system descending in the page thrashing hell.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

No the best feature of the web client is when you try to delete a VM from disk, and it says "are you sure you want to delete the selected VMs from disk?" but doesn't list it/them, so you look to the left to see what's selected but that panel has refreshed and isn't showing anything, or is scrolled to where you can't see the VM, and you just have to live on the edge and click yes and see what happens.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

DevNull posted:

Hopefully the success of the embedded host client (I hate the name) will convince the higher ups that we need to focus on html5 and dump flash fast. I've been watching this trainwreck for something like 5 years now.

So if you want to see that succeed, leave a comment on the Fling page saying how you hate the web UI, and how much you love the embedded client.

Can we still also love the C# client? Please....

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

Can we still also love the C# client? Please....

It has no future. It was kept on life support only because of the problems with the web client. The embedded client is more likely to get good support than the C# client.

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

DevNull posted:

It has no future. It was kept on life support only because of the problems with the web client. The embedded client is more likely to get good support than the C# client.

boo this man.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

DevNull posted:

Weird how a company that says that it listens to it's customers will discontinue a feature that is well loved by the same customers.

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

Weird how a company that says that it listens to it's customers will discontinue a feature that is well loved by the same customers.

There are a ton of customer that don't want to be stuck on a client that only works on Windows. Listening to customers doesn't mean building a solution that works just for you, there are other customers. Feedback will influence them though.

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

DevNull posted:

There are a ton of customer that don't want to be stuck on a client that only works on Windows. Listening to customers doesn't mean building a solution that works just for you, there are other customers. Feedback will influence them though.

It's depressing because its the most Microsoft move to make.

Why didn't they

A: wait till the replacement isn't painful to use before stopping support for something that works well ?

or

B: build a native OS X client and cover 99.9999999% of your customer base?

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

jre posted:

It's depressing because its the most Microsoft move to make.

Why didn't they

A: wait till the replacement isn't painful to use before stopping support for something that works well ?

or

B: build a native OS X client and cover 99.9999999% of your customer base?

This is a fair point. "B" would have been pretty expensive. Getting the basics to work would have been fine, but all the advanced stuff would have taken a lot of time and effort.

"A" was because of the project being poorly managed. It took then far longer to get the web client working than it should have. I'm talking years of works. It finally got pushed out because someone high up was convinced it was good enough by the people that worked on it. It should have never shipped in the state that it did. At this point, they have invested enough that it makes sense to keep the web based UI. It just needs to be html5 instead of flash.

The embedded client exists because the people working on the ESX side of thing were so sick of the official web UI. It started out as a few people doing a web server that would just do basic power operations and such for a single ESX machine. Another group did a project just for the console to come up. They merged the two, then spend the next year trying to get it officially supported. Eventually, it got enough support that they ESX team put two guys on it. They are the ones that did the fling. They are not UI guys. They just did it because they knew a solution needed to be done.

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

DevNull posted:

This is a fair point. "B" would have been pretty expensive. Getting the basics to work would have been fine, but all the advanced stuff would have taken a lot of time and effort.

"A" was because of the project being poorly managed. It took then far longer to get the web client working than it should have. I'm talking years of works. It finally got pushed out because someone high up was convinced it was good enough by the people that worked on it. It should have never shipped in the state that it did. At this point, they have invested enough that it makes sense to keep the web based UI. It just needs to be html5 instead of flash.

The embedded client exists because the people working on the ESX side of thing were so sick of the official web UI. It started out as a few people doing a web server that would just do basic power operations and such for a single ESX machine. Another group did a project just for the console to come up. They merged the two, then spend the next year trying to get it officially supported. Eventually, it got enough support that they ESX team put two guys on it. They are the ones that did the fling. They are not UI guys. They just did it because they knew a solution needed to be done.

Thanks for the info, it's interesting to hear the background to it.

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

jre posted:

Thanks for the info, it's interesting to hear the background to it.

No problem. I think I mentioned before that the WebUI people put up flyers in the bathrooms a few years ago to get people to use it internally. Those flyers ended up cover in comments like "It sucks" and "too slow" written all over them. You know things are bad when that is happening. The embedded client gives me hope that things will get pushed in the right direction faster.

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe
I know that NPAPI deprecation kills the vmrc plugin, but why does vsphere 6 default to telling you to download the VMRC Application rather than just use the HTML5 console?

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

theperminator posted:

I know that NPAPI deprecation kills the vmrc plugin, but why does vsphere 6 default to telling you to download the VMRC Application rather than just use the HTML5 console?

There are limitations to the html5 console. It doesn't do modifier keys as well, keyboard LEDs, etc. As far as which one is the default, that was probably a decision by a PM that decided that most people want those features. I don't use the WebUI, so I don't know how hard it is to get the html5 vs the VMRC.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
I got pulled into this weirdness last minute tonight .. I am tired of OT, so can someone chime in to see if they know whats up?

ESXi 5.5U2 upgrade to U2E, server runs a QLogic ISP2432 based FC card that was (for some reason?) using the old qla2xxx drivers (5.5 went to native) but after the upgrade it has decided to use the new qlnativefc module.

However with this being the case, my adapters no longer show up when querying the storage adapters, however vmkernel.log indicates that qlnativefc is happy and talking to the driver (sees the WWPN's, does a login to the fabirc and is linked up @ 4Gbps).

dmesg indicates that qla2xxx gets loaded and then unloaded during boot.

Here is the pastebin of the vmkernel.log (wwpn's removed just in case, who knows .. :tinfoil: )

http://pastebin.com/7myANPMX

Anyone have any ideas?

Edit : Found the issue and its resolved with :

PR 1080282: Changing a BIOS device setting on an ESXi host might result in invalid device names if the change causes a shift in the segment:bus:device:function values assigned to devices. For example, enabling a previously-disabled integrated NIC might shift the segment:bus:device:function values assigned to other PCI devices, causing ESXi to change the names assigned to these NICs. Unlike previous versions of ESXi, ESXi 5.5 attempts to preserve devices names through segment:bus:device:function changes if the host BIOS provides specific device location information.

mAlfunkti0n fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Aug 19, 2015

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I've kind of had a change of heart about the WebUI. I prefer it to the thick client just for accessibility reasons but, as people have mentioned, the responsiveness and bloat leave a lot of room for improvement. I still choose it over the thick client, even on Windows machines, these days though; Just because I've become accustomed to it.

That said, I don't have a NEED for vCenter since I run a strict single-machine lab, so if we can get the host-based UI to market then I can free up that 6-8GB VCSA requirement.

Having said THAT, I do make extensive use of templates and such so maybe I'll have to keep VCSA. Who knows.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
the web client was just so poo poo to begin with, that they will probably never get that bad taste out of peoples mouths.

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe

adorai posted:

the web client was just so poo poo to begin with, that they will probably never get that bad taste out of peoples mouths.

Probably, and the current line being "Don't use the native client, use the webapp even though it's a piece of poo poo because someday it will totes get better I promise" is poo poo.

Users need it to work well so they can get poo poo done and make sure their infrastructure keeps working, it isn't some toy. that's why people keep using the windows app.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
Does the webui still use flash in 6.0? Been awhile since I used it in my lab. If so, I really really really hate flash.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

mAlfunkti0n posted:

Does the webui still use flash in 6.0? Been awhile since I used it in my lab. If so, I really really really hate flash.

Yep.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
They claim html5 someday, it's just held up in management!

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

mAlfunkti0n posted:

To be fair, it is WAY better in 6.0 though.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

mayodreams posted:

To be fair, it is WAY better in 6.0 though.

I remember it being much better but I am sick of flash to the point its disabled across my browsers or not installed at all.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

mAlfunkti0n posted:

I remember it being much better but I am sick of flash to the point its disabled across my browsers or not installed at all.

Sometimes (often), doing productive business work means using stuff you don't like. VMware doesn't care whether mAlfunkti0n likes flash. They care whether customers that pay tons of money are willing to use flash to use VMware (yes), and whether using a web client lowers the administrative overhead of requiring users of the client to need local admin (or software install rights) so they could keep up with the kajillion updates to the C# client that all needed admin (yes).

You are not as important as big clients and saving developer time. HTH

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
It's not like "flash us awful" is some kind of minority opinion. Hell, it's pretty much a fact. I don't think we need your corporate white knighting here evol.

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

FISHMANPET posted:

corporate white knighting here evol.

You realize he works for the competition, right? He is trying to explain how large companies make decisions. He is right in the regards of how decisions are made. I'm not happy that decision was made. I don't have to use it luckily.

It's ok, we can all be happy now that flash is dying and we can move to html5. Hopefully the Fling will show how important that move is, and light a fire under some people. I'll just be over here with my can full of gas and hand full of matches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

It could be worse. Imagine if the web UI was a JavaWS applet :unsmigghh: