Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
Man I'm actually pretty close to being able to buy the new Pioneer mixer, but I also want a new laptop. :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic
Can anyone recommend a low price range stage mixer with both main and monitor outputs (TRS)? The number of inputs doesn't matter. I have an Alesis Multimix 8 but would like a backup. I'd prefer to not just split the cables as having gain control @ the stage mixer is highly ideal.

It would only be used if the Alesis fails (hint hint, this will be at Burning Man), so I don't mind some junky quality mixer. I can't seem to find one, though. Lots of the lower tier stuff only has 2x outputs.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I have the Yamaha version of your Alesis...

...and it's been perfect.

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Aug 17, 2015

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic
Yep, but it's the same price range as the Alesis. I'm looking for a bare bones unit that isn't expensive, since it will ideally never be used.

I'm about to either give up, or get a mixer that has a photo output instead of monitors and use a splitter for the monitors. Not ideal, but not the end of the world either

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Anyone have a Kontrol Z2? I'm digging it but I'd like to have an actual cue button to go back to the beginning of the track (how the hell did NI miss out on this critical feature?!?). I was going to trade my X1 for my buddy's F1, but if there's no decent way to cue back to the start of a track then I'll probably keep the X1.

Firaga
Jan 4, 2005
WHAT YOU SAY
Isn't cue 1 by default the start of the track?

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Firaga posted:

Isn't cue 1 by default the start of the track?

Yeah kinda. Not the same as CUP. Wish there was a fifth que button but whatever

Firaga
Jan 4, 2005
WHAT YOU SAY
Ah yeah I don't use my cue or cup much on my X1 just toggle between the 4 points unless I'm beatmatching something manually and need a different point in the track.
You could always custom bind something like shift+4.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Reading up on Traktor harmonic mixing--am I correct in understanding that it's identical to the Camelot scale except instead of A/B it's D/M?

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...

revmoo posted:

Reading up on Traktor harmonic mixing--am I correct in understanding that it's identical to the Camelot scale except instead of A/B it's D/M?

I think it's also 180 degrees off, so 1A = 7D.

The name for the system Traktor uses is called "Open Key", you can find it with a quick search.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
Yo so I'm at my buddy's house and we're using Traktor. I copied some tracks I bought in iTunes to an external hard drive, which is plugged into his laptop running Traktor.

The tracks in question will play in Windows Media Player and iTunes with no problem but when I try to load them into Traktor it will briefly flash the track info on the deck and nothing will happen. It's frustrating that the tracks will play fine in WMP with no problems but not Traktor. I'm not getting an error message or anything, the tracks just won't play. I've tried signing into my iTunes and it still won't work. I haven't had a problem with VDJ or Serato in the past, anyone know of any workarounds?

Edit: we updated Traktor from a non 2009 version

Gay Horney fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Aug 20, 2015

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
tuck fractor

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

If anyone needs me, I'll be in the Angry Dome

Sharzak posted:

Yo so I'm at my buddy's house and we're using Traktor. I copied some tracks I bought in iTunes to an external hard drive, which is plugged into his laptop running Traktor.

The tracks in question will play in Windows Media Player and iTunes with no problem but when I try to load them into Traktor it will briefly flash the track info on the deck and nothing will happen. It's frustrating that the tracks will play fine in WMP with no problems but not Traktor. I'm not getting an error message or anything, the tracks just won't play. I've tried signing into my iTunes and it still won't work. I haven't had a problem with VDJ or Serato in the past, anyone know of any workarounds?

Edit: we updated Traktor from a non 2009 version

What type of file? MP3 or something else?

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic
So I guess Sony has unfettered access to scan all soundcloud content. Got my first real "strike".

I never buy music from Sony. It was a mix I was hosting from someone else. I've taken all those down.

What scares me, is they didn't have to identify what copyrighted content was included. They just mark it as copyright, and you're hosed. No identification, no warning, no request to remove the content, no way to contest because they didn't identify. For all I know, there wasn't a single Sony track in there.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

A fair amount of people have moved to yungcloud as it's Soundcloud like it was back in the day, just super simple and straightforward.

http://yungcloud.com/

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

88h88 posted:

A fair amount of people have moved to yungcloud as it's Soundcloud like it was back in the day, just super simple and straightforward.

http://yungcloud.com/

No McDonalds advertisements at +30db? gently caress yes, finally.

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...
The logo is super :shobon: too.

gucci bane
Oct 27, 2008

I want to know more about yungcloud, not sure how sustainable it'll be once it actually is known as an alternative by SONY, ect. I put all my stuff up on there though. Jersey club producers are defs the driving force going to yungcloud, because so many like young luxenburg got banned and lost thousands of followers. :(

gucci bane fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Aug 22, 2015

MakeWarHarmlesser
Jun 29, 2009

Hey gang, I recently got a new laptop and it seems to have this weird problem where traktor thinks my resolution is only 1366x768 (instead of 1920x1080, so it only uses like 4/5ths of the screen). I can fix it temporarily by opening traktor, setting the resolution to 1366x768 then back up to 1920x1080, but that's starting to get annoying every time I want to start traktor. Has anyone dealt with anything similar?

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic
Starting to understand why people hate Traktor's file management, now that I am trying to 1) consolidate my Traktor collection (which is all imported from iTunes) into a single folder that I can keep all my Traktor-used files separately (for all practical purposes this is impossible to do with the way iTunes organizes music) and then 2) transfer this collection to two other laptops (not impossible but seems to require a bunch of consistency checks that I am not looking forward too).

It's not that I didn't believe the complaints, I just didnt have to deal with it first hand...

1) https://www.native-instruments.com/...-or-hard-drive/
"Note: Make sure to not only copy them, since TRAKTOR will continue to work with the music files in the original folder if they still exist." <--- gently caress this... I want my iTunes to work, AND my Traktor to work.

2) https://www.native-instruments.com/...ter-to-another/

If anyone has any suggestions for how to consolidate my Traktor collection to a single folder that doesn't involve navigating to each song individually in my iTunes folder structure I will pay you with infinite sexual favors

edit: ok, it seems like I can work around this. It's unfortunate, but it will work for my purposes with only some pain. My main computer will continue to use the iTunes folder for it's Traktor collection. Once I'm done analyzing anything new, I can make a copy directly from the Traktor browser into a folder. I can then use this folder for transferring to a new computer. For sure, this is NOT ideal (it only helps me with half my problem), but seeing as how I have two days to figure this out, it'll have to do.

mitztronic fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Aug 25, 2015

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

If anyone needs me, I'll be in the Angry Dome

For all my DJ music, I keep it outside of iTunes media folder, and I have iTunes configured to not auto-import or manage that folder.

The setting is Copy files to iTunes Media folder when adding to library. I have this unchecked

So effectively everything i have in my library is just pointers to the original files. If I manually put anything in that media folder it still gets organized appropriately but I only do that for non-DJ music

vanilla slimfast fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Aug 25, 2015

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
I'm going through a huge iTunes tag reorganization currently due to some fuckiness between syncing my iTunes library between my Mac and my Windows laptop (my mobile rig). Part of the problem is also being caused by latent ID3 info causing my newer tags to not stay consistent. Long story short, metadata management is hosed beyond any one single program, but in terms of library management I've found iTunes to be the lesser evil. Then again I don't know what the real alternatives are, there's definitely a better solution out there but no one seems to have made the crown jewel of library management yet.

Also to note, the newest iTunes version has been causing problems with viewing your iTunes library in Serato. Another strike against iTunes....

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

Isn't the Serato issue that you can't un-collapse the folders? It's annoying but it isn't that big of an issue for me.

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx
That's the only issue I'm aware of, everything else is working fine for me.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

Ah just remembered the other issue is that apps now show up in my Serato library because I use the same iTunes library to sync my phone. It's dumb but it doesn't get in the way for me.

MakeWarHarmlesser
Jun 29, 2009

mitztronic posted:

If anyone has any suggestions for how to consolidate my Traktor collection to a single folder that doesn't involve navigating to each song individually in my iTunes folder structure I will pay you with infinite sexual favors
Couldn't you put your Traktor library in one big playlist, then export that playlist to whatever folder you want with "Copy tracks to destination" checked? You'd have to delete the original files, but the new ones would all be in one place.

gucci bane
Oct 27, 2008

Sony are being dickheads on soundcloud atm, I think they have started analyzing track descriptions for artists mentions or tracklists because heaps of stuff has been taken down lately.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Soundcloud is dying, I don't see it sticking around for its original purpose much longer (rest of the year maybe). I think you might see the spotify crowd start using it, but it's pretty much dead for DJs and producers. Shame.

On another note, what do you guys think is going to be the next big thing after Trap? Seems like it's starting to get a little stale.

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

Harley C posted:

Sony are being dickheads on soundcloud atm, I think they have started analyzing track descriptions for artists mentions or tracklists because heaps of stuff has been taken down lately.

They took down a classic disco set I had up, bummer.

Two more strikes and my account is done so I guess I should start promoting my mixcloud more :v:

gucci bane
Oct 27, 2008

revmoo posted:

On another note, what do you guys think is going to be the next big thing after Trap? Seems like it's starting to get a little stale.

Club, check out #clubjersey on sc to listen to some. It is easy to produce relatively, you can do remixes easy and all the young people I know are into it. Sidechains and weird club Milan are worth a look if you wanna know more/see aesthetic poo poo. Either that or grime, but like grime can't work at a festival instrumentally really as far as I know so I don't think it'll be like trap but it will be big for rap fans/already is.

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic

revmoo posted:

The next "Big thing" doesn't matter. Plenty of good music out there that isn't what pop culture wants to shove down your throat.

Check out imaged herbal flowers. He's a really young it from Virginia (I think?). He's incredibly musically talented.

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

Harley C posted:

Club, check out #clubjersey on sc to listen to some. It is easy to produce relatively, you can do remixes easy and all the young people I know are into it. Sidechains and weird club Milan are worth a look if you wanna know more/see aesthetic poo poo. Either that or grime, but like grime can't work at a festival instrumentally really as far as I know so I don't think it'll be like trap but it will be big for rap fans/already is.

Definitely going to second grime being catapulted into the mainstream because of how much Drake is promoting Skepta and how massive Skepta has become.

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic
Removed all the content from my soundcloud. Sad day for me... 6+? years, 50,000 plays...

Sony did another takedown this morning. I know for a fact this time there was no Sony owned content in there.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

revmoo posted:

Soundcloud is dying, I don't see it sticking around for its original purpose much longer (rest of the year maybe). I think you might see the spotify crowd start using it, but it's pretty much dead for DJs and producers. Shame.

'future' bass is already the next big thing. trap has been dead dead dead for a long time around here. there will be clubs with residents who play trap til the heat death of the universe because it's scientifically proven to make white girls slutty but those clubs are where the 30 year olds who go out to try to get laid three or four times a year go, not anything trendy or big.

edit: for instance the trendy new club here has more people for loving trance of all things than when they bring out trappy dudes.

Gay Horney fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Aug 26, 2015

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
cloud rap

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

I can understand why grime was never a thing in the US, kinda cool it's getting noticed now though.

6 years old, still massive. If you play this and nobody moves, time to bust out the leng 'cos mans don't know.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZ6G7qwjom4

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames
I did a screwed/chopped version of a bleh Tori Kelly song, turned it into a pretty good Jeremih song. I'm very proud of this considering it took about twenty minutes to do.

https://soundcloud.com/jqam/tori-kelly-shouldve-been-us-jqam-houston-mix

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

Oh neat Serato released an update that fixes the iTunes issue.

Varicelli
Jan 24, 2009
I am making mixes in FL Studio... yes, actually. Right now I have almost 3 hours spread between 4 files and 13gb of RAM. Yes I know this is stupid.

Sometimes I use Traktor to record transitions with effects like delay freeze (is there an easy way to do delay freeze in FL?), and then move them into FL.

I am pretty poo poo with both programs and I am just doing this for fun, but I am finding it tough to use Traktor very effectively with just kb and mouse.

What controller should I purchase for use with Traktor? I live in Australia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

Varicelli posted:

I am making mixes in FL Studio... yes, actually. Right now I have almost 3 hours spread between 4 files and 13gb of RAM. Yes I know this is stupid.

Sometimes I use Traktor to record transitions with effects like delay freeze (is there an easy way to do delay freeze in FL?), and then move them into FL.

I am pretty poo poo with both programs and I am just doing this for fun, but I am finding it tough to use Traktor very effectively with just kb and mouse.

What controller should I purchase for use with Traktor? I live in Australia.

Numark's Mixtrack Pro series can be got for quite cheap and are durable. The basic Pro doesn't have a headphone jack but if you're doing stuff in your bedroom you probably have other outputs for that. Dunno about anything australia specific though