Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

g0del posted:

On the other hand, calling two ships which everyone already saw in the trailer months ago "spoilers" is taking that term to an absurd level. And the whole "a giant corporation planned a surprise for you because they love you, not because they want to get money out of you" theme of his rant just screams mental issues.

A blue X Wing and two TIE fighters with whitewall tires. That was the surprise

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo

Tekopo posted:

Unless you are measuring for a Target Lock.

I've always wondered--- you can technically be a bit of a dickhole and Attempt to Target Lock someone clearly out of your range just so you can break out the range ruler, right?

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Long as you don't obviously try to measure the distance to something else, then yes.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

yellowjournalism posted:

I've always wondered--- you can technically be a bit of a dickhole and Attempt to Target Lock someone clearly out of your range just so you can break out the range ruler, right?
Technically, there is nothing stopping you from declaring a target lock, measuring, finding that it is out of range and the boosting into range.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
The fact that declaring a target lock that you're out of range to take doesn't lose you an action is probably tacit approval of doing exactly that, or something similar.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I don't really think it is. It's a way to be consistent with all other actions within the game. If you attempt to boost/barrel roll and find out you can't, you don't lose an action there. If not being able to target lock lost you an action, it would be inconsistent. The 'trick' is a side effect of this rule.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Yeah it's a little bit of a trick but ultimately only useful for a newbie (or spatially impaired like my friend is but that's why he doesn't play games like these). If it's close enough it's p obvious what the ranges are and if it's in range 3+ it only helps you with bank 3 and straight 5.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

yellowjournalism posted:

I do this all the time because I'm spatially impaired and want to win every game of X-Wing I play.

Fly casual my friends.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Me and the people I play with are all filthy casuals and we premeasure poo poo a lot of the time. It's a habit I should break, less because I want to be an elite tournament player (I don't even think there are any tournaments in my neck of the woods) and more because I want to rely less on crutches and actually get better at flying, especially since I want to play more with Wedge/Wes and you need to be on your game if you want to use X-Wings.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Kai Tave posted:

Me and the people I play with are all filthy casuals and we premeasure poo poo a lot of the time. It's a habit I should break, less because I want to be an elite tournament player (I don't even think there are any tournaments in my neck of the woods) and more because I want to rely less on crutches and actually get better at flying, especially since I want to play more with Wedge/Wes and you need to be on your game if you want to use X-Wings.

I'm hardly an "elite" tournament player (never broken to top 8 in a FFG sponsored one, best finish was 2nd in a small [16 people] escalation tournament), but I think it's a good idea to know the etiquette and conventions of tournament play. Stuff like not premeasuring, knowing the order dice rolls and modifications are supposed to go, etc.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Strobe posted:

I'm hardly an "elite" tournament player (never broken to top 8 in a FFG sponsored one, best finish was 2nd in a small [16 people] escalation tournament), but I think it's a good idea to know the etiquette and conventions of tournament play. Stuff like not premeasuring, knowing the order dice rolls and modifications are supposed to go, etc.

The one I wish that more people had a handle on is no, Imperial players don't automatically break ties for initiative, just flip a coin.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Nobody I ever play with reliably has a coin, so we use a red die and call hits/crits or blank/focus.

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

"It's a non-speaking role"

Strobe posted:

Nobody I ever play with reliably has a coin, so we use a red die and call hits/crits or blank/focus.

Yeah that's what we did for the tournament I was in, and I figured it was the norm.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
It's the norm around here, too.

At least, it was before initiative bids went out of control in the local meta. Had no fewer than three people in the last week come at me with a 95 or 96 point list for the explicit purpose of taking back initiative from Wedge. :smuggo:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Kai Tave posted:

The one I wish that more people had a handle on is no, Imperial players don't automatically break ties for initiative, just flip a coin.

To be fair, if you learned the rules early on, ties did automatically go to Imperials.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
That stopped being true back in Wave 2. Nobody new should be making that mistake, and nobody who's been around that long should be wrong about it anymore.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
My entire collection of ships is Wave 2 and earlier. I still play the game with my friends. If I didn't read about X-Wing on internet forum Something Awful dot com I would not have a reasonable way of knowing about the initiative thing.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Chomp8645 posted:

I still play the game with my friends. If I didn't read about X-Wing on internet forum Something Awful dot com I would not have a reasonable way of knowing about the initiative thing.

Yeah; this.

I've never been to an official tournament; my entire history of play is the most casual of flying. I learned about the initiative thing about a week ago because I was finally able to go to league night at my FLGS and someone called me on it.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I don't even have the FLGS angle because mine sucks. 24/7 Card players (mainly Magic of course) with the occasional RPG group. Nary a board or miniatures game to be found (in play that is, they have them for sale).

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Strobe posted:

That stopped being true back in Wave 2. Nobody new should be making that mistake, and nobody who's been around that long should be wrong about it anymore.

It's still in the rulebook that comes with the starter box.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Fair enough. I've been conditioned by previous games to look for errata or updates as a matter of reflex, so it didn't even pop up for me.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

grassy gnoll posted:

It's still in the rulebook that comes with the starter box.

I thought that was changed for reprints. Although it's very possible that if you buy one that's been sitting on a store shelf for a while, it's a older printing.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
It may be in the latest ones. Mine was old enough to have the Warhammer Conquest FFG catalog, while my friend got a newer one that was basically STAR WARS STAR WARS STAR WARS, but still had the old unerrataed rules. I dunno if that makes any kind of discernible timeline.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

I dont know how recent a print mine was but I got a starter set this year and it said Imperials win ties. Having someone be surprised by this is not something that is particularly crazy to find out. For example I found out just now reading this discussion that they dont.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
The reason I even brought it up in the first place is that I know the other people I play with have read the FAQ documents and stuff, they aren't all just totally new players who never visit the FFG website.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD
"Imperials get initiative" is a bad rule because it makes Whisper stronger and Soontir weaker. I played the game when the Phantom was just better at the TIE Interceptor's job, it was a dark time.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
How is FFG with replacements? I'm missing the plastic pegs on my Interceptor.

We've played a couple more games during the week and have another friend interested in picking up the Scum faction. That's three in our group, each one with a different army. :dance:

What's a good starting set? Most of the lists I've seen are either a Firespray and a couple of fighters (So Most Wanted, Slave 1 and maybe an Y-Wing) or 2 IG-2000s. The core is not strictly necessary, as he's always going to be playing against someone who has it.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Fat Samurai posted:

How is FFG with replacements? I'm missing the plastic pegs on my Interceptor.

They're super relaxed about it.

A friend of mine's Firespray was slightly crooked on his peg. He sent them an email with pictures, he got a new Firespray (just the model though), no questions asked.

quote:

We've played a couple more games during the week and have another friend interested in picking up the Scum faction. That's three in our group, each one with a different army. :dance:

What's a good starting set? Most of the lists I've seen are either a Firespray and a couple of fighters (So Most Wanted, Slave 1 and maybe an Y-Wing) or 2 IG-2000s. The core is not strictly necessary, as he's always going to be playing against someone who has it.

Technically every player needs a core set, because strictly speaking each player is required to have a separate damage deck. However, outside of tournament play, noone gives a poo poo and it barely matters. Just share a damage deck.

Firespray and Most Wanted is enough to make a competent Scum list. Add a Y-Wing and you can make a Firespray + 2 Y-Wing list, which is pretty good.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

kingcom posted:

I dont know how recent a print mine was but I got a starter set this year and it said Imperials win ties. Having someone be surprised by this is not something that is particularly crazy to find out. For example I found out just now reading this discussion that they dont.

I bought my starter box a month ago and it mentions "Imperials win initiative ties" as well and had to be informed otherwise by the local players.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Strobe posted:

The fact that declaring a target lock that you're out of range to take doesn't lose you an action is probably tacit approval of doing exactly that, or something similar.

It's a bit weird, I've been wargaming for the past 20 years and slowly most systems have gotten rid of guess ranges because it's dumb. If x-wing makes it a few years I suspect they'll change it but until then you'll have a lot of people 'measuring for target lock' just as in Warmachine a lot of people 'measure command radius'

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Geisladisk posted:

Firespray and Most Wanted is enough to make a competent Scum list. Add a Y-Wing and you can make a Firespray + 2 Y-Wing list, which is pretty good.

Cool, now to mod three way battles in.

Aramoro posted:

It's a bit weird, I've been wargaming for the past 20 years and slowly most systems have gotten rid of guess ranges because it's dumb. If x-wing makes it a few years I suspect they'll change it but until then you'll have a lot of people 'measuring for target lock' just as in Warmachine a lot of people 'measure command radius'

I'd say manoeuvres are different than "aim my catapult at exactly 53,48 cm", and measuring is less helpful in here than in other minis games, but there are probably some rules/upgrades/whatever I'm missing.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Aramoro posted:

A huge part of what makes X-Wing a Good Game is the movement mechanic (it's so good they've even licensed it out to bad games like Star Trek attack fleet, which is the only example I know of of game mechanics being licensed out), which would be made trivial by allowing you to pre-measure. Even if you were only allowed to use the range ruler while selecting movement dials, you could use the range ruler to find out exactly where your ship would land.

X-Wing lets you measure whenever you want, except when you're actually making decisions on how to move your ships.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Geisladisk posted:

A huge part of what makes X-Wing a Good Game is the movement mechanic (it's so good they've even licensed it out to bad games like Star Trek attack fleet, which is the only example I know of of game mechanics being licensed out), which would be made trivial by allowing you to pre-measure. Even if you were only allowed to use the range ruler while selecting movement dials, you could use the range ruler to find out exactly where your ship would land.

X-Wing lets you measure whenever you want, except when you're actually making decisions on how to move your ships.

This is the same argument that gets rolled out whenever a game moves from guesswork to premeasuring and it's as wrong here as it is in those games. The skill in the game is knowing which manoeuvres to pick, not to guess your ship will land 2mm beyond the one in front of you and be fine. That wouldn't make picking manoeuvres trivial, it would place more onus on picking the right manoeuvre which is the point of the mechanic. I would guess in high level tournaments no one ever gets the distance moved wrong, when we play at home we don't so by your argument the movement mechanic is already trivial.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

A large part of X-Wing is that everyone has to preset their movement without knowing what your opponent is doing. Premed during would give your opponent some critical information on where you plan on going, and then could set their movment up to take advantage of it.

Also, unless your ships move first, premeasuring is only going to tell you if you miss that asteroid, or you clear that ship that moves later. You are still going to get caught up by ships that move before you.

So I look at it this way, in tournaments, no one is going to premeasure for fear of giving away vital information. And if you are not playing tournaments, who cares if you premeasure. So why change the rules?

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Aramoro posted:

This is the same argument that gets rolled out whenever a game moves from guesswork to premeasuring and it's as wrong here as it is in those games. The skill in the game is knowing which manoeuvres to pick, not to guess your ship will land 2mm beyond the one in front of you and be fine. That wouldn't make picking manoeuvres trivial, it would place more onus on picking the right manoeuvre which is the point of the mechanic. I would guess in high level tournaments no one ever gets the distance moved wrong, when we play at home we don't so by your argument the movement mechanic is already trivial.

People definitely do screw up in high level tournaments, quite often.

There's no real reason to allow pre-measuring since it would make the game even slower. It makes sense in a 3 hr beer and pretzels game like Warhammer but X-Wing needs to focus on some semblance of fast play.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Armada is quite a lot slower since it allows you to pre-measure and the movement system isn't quite as straightforward (the click system means that during movement you have quite a selection of different move options).

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

I do not want to play a game of X-Wing where someone feels they can gain a competitive advantage by bluffing a pre-measure.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Poopy Palpy posted:

I do not want to play a game of X-Wing where someone feels they can gain a competitive advantage by bluffing a pre-measure.

Just out of interest what if they straight up told you what they were going to do? Would you throw down your toys in disgust at their gamesmanship?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Table flip right then and there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Aramoro posted:

Just out of interest what if they straight up told you what they were going to do? Would you throw down your toys in disgust at their gamesmanship?

The difference there is that they aren't slowing the game down to do it.

• Locked thread