Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

TheScott2K posted:

The animations are terrible, the voice acting is terrible, the city levels are all just giant hallways, the only part of the story that ever actually works is when you bust out of the prison and it turns out you're in UNATCO HQ, the "stealth" relies on enemies that are more retarded than the goombas in SMB and man-sized grates acting like transit systems in top-secret facilities, the only projectile weapon that is the least bit satisfying to use is the sniper rifle that is useless until you're halfway through the game and even then you're using it to zoom in on terribly-animated retards you could just as easily walk up to and karate chop, Unreal Engine 1, the main character has nothing resembling an arc, and the multiple endings are basically the same "press X for Ending 1" poo poo everyone bitched about in Human Revolution. All of that made a 7.5/10 game in 2000 and it hasn't gotten better since.

:agreed:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur

TheScott2K posted:

The animations are terrible, the voice acting is terrible, the city levels are all just giant hallways, the only part of the story that ever actually works is when you bust out of the prison and it turns out you're in UNATCO HQ, the "stealth" relies on enemies that are more retarded than the goombas in SMB and man-sized grates acting like transit systems in top-secret facilities, the only projectile weapon that is the least bit satisfying to use is the sniper rifle that is useless until you're halfway through the game and even then you're using it to zoom in on terribly-animated retards you could just as easily walk up to and karate chop, Unreal Engine 1, the main character has nothing resembling an arc, and the multiple endings are basically the same "press X for Ending 1" poo poo everyone bitched about in Human Revolution. All of that made a 7.5/10 game in 2000 and it hasn't gotten better since.
Ok, first, barely anything there has anything to do with gameplay in the first place, so responding to your other post, maybe it's not stuff that people "gloss over", maybe it's just people like me that mostly focus on gameplay.
Second, when people talk about weapons being satisfying I have no idea what the hell you guys mean, and it's usually different stuff every time, it's just a word you guys use when you can't describe something else, like saying the gameplay is visceral or something like that, but must of the complains about this game is because it tries to implement an RPG mechanic where your character starts shooting inaccurately and you have to level him up to improve his aim. Maybe that's what you're complaining about? I don't know. But the truth is, while you may not like such mechanic, there is nothing wrong with it in and of itself, and I personally like it very much. (the same applies to low accuracy weapons in borderlands 2 by the way).

Story, graphics and the other stuff I can't care enough to comment on, it feels beneath me.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
The blue glowy sword is also incredibly stupid and perfectly illustrates that Ion Storm themselves didn't really buy into the progression of combat abilities mechanic/lovely combat excuse.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

drat I can't believe I extensively used this overpowered weapon that broke the game.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

My fav part of Deus Ex is hovering my crosshairs for several seconds on a terrist's head and then hitting him with a tranquilizer bolt from my mini-crossbow, then having him proceed to not really be affected by it and instantly knowing where I am. I also like that you get the option to get that, a pistol you already have and a rocket launcher that can kill any human in one hit while having such a tiny sound radius that you can use it without alerting other guards.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

TheScott2K posted:

The blue glowy sword is also incredibly stupid and perfectly illustrates that Ion Storm themselves didn't really buy into the progression of combat abilities mechanic/lovely combat excuse.
the dragon tooth breaks the game but saying "Ion Storm themselves didn't really buy into the progression of combat abilities mechanic" just because of that is bizarre.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

The game basically goes from funneling you into sloppy kill -> hide in a vent -> sloppy kill to giving you license to glowy stab errbody while absorbing bullet fire. But hey, it has lots of dialogue and poo poo to read so it must be really deep.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Oh yeah, the dialogue sucks, even for games of the time.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
Complaining about JC Denton having a lack of character development is pointless since JC Denton is meant to be a blank player-insert protagonist.

The voice acting in Deus Ex in general is awful, but I think the voice actor for JC has specifically said he was told to put zero emotion into his dialog.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Really, what I've learned about Deus Ex over the years is that if you take its notions of stealth at all seriously instead of just nuking the odd guy who sees you with a rocket, you're gonna have a bad time.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

program666 posted:

the dragon tooth breaks the game but saying "Ion Storm themselves didn't really buy into the progression of combat abilities mechanic" just because of that is bizarre.

Right, because them giving you a game breaking weapon for no reason at all makes tons of sense.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

The Colonel posted:

Complaining about JC Denton having a lack of character development is pointless since JC Denton is meant to be a blank player-insert protagonist.

The voice acting in Deus Ex in general is awful, but I think the voice actor for JC has specifically said he was told to put zero emotion into his dialog.

Human Revolution managed to give you a character that was a fairly blank slate while still giving him lots of in-world motivation that actually fit into the game's narrative.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

TheScott2K posted:

Right, because them giving you a game breaking weapon for no reason at all makes tons of sense.

What's wrong with that

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

System Shock 2 meanwhile was a much better game with better dialogue and voice acting, despite it all being recorded on a tin can.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

System Shock 2 sucks rear end. Deus Ex is good. Glad we can put this all behind us.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
System Shock 2's last chunk is way way shittier than the last chunk of Deus Ex 1 and 3

Maybe not as bad as Invisible War, though

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

counterpoint: ss2 had even worse combat than deus ex, which is saying something

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

In Training posted:

What's wrong with that

It makes way less sense than the devs using it to put a bandaid over their game's sucking chest wound of a combat/stealth dichotomy. The combat was terrible and the stealth systems were rudimentary at best, so it was either give the player a glowy sword or risk nobody ever bothering to finish the game.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

StashAugustine posted:

counterpoint: ss2 had even worse combat than deus ex, which is saying something

It's like playing Deus Ex using only melee weapons without ever leveling up your melee skill past 2.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

TheScott2K posted:

It makes way less sense than the devs using it to put a bandaid over their game's sucking chest wound of a combat/stealth dichotomy. The combat was terrible and the stealth systems were rudimentary at best, so it was either give the player a glowy sword or risk nobody ever bothering to finish the game.

You could just not use the sword. Dumbass.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Lots of bad opinions itt.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I hated pretty much everything about this game, 7.5/10 lol.

I think a paid staff position at IGN is in your future.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

Great Joe posted:

Really, what I've learned about Deus Ex over the years is that if you take its notions of stealth at all seriously instead of just nuking the odd guy who sees you with a rocket, you're gonna have a bad time.

I would usually throw a flare to attract soldiers near me, in a way they would leave their backs open for me to whack them. I had a good time. You could divert soldiers attention with flares all the time like when you throw bottles in Last of Us. If it had good graphics, voice acting and super casual gameplay it could probably win two hunderd awards lolol

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

At least in SS2 they don't begin the game by telling you you're a badge-carrying augmented badass agent then giving you the choice of a gun with an oscillating barrel or a piece of farm equipment to rescue hostages with.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

exquisite tea posted:

I hated pretty much everything about this game, 7.5/10 lol.

I think a paid staff position at IGN is in your future.

It was still a game released 15 years ago that didn't have a high score list or floating powerups.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

lmao at complaining about DX1's jank then praising SS2.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzvw8uSWucM

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Iirc the opening f SS2 is walking through a series of branching tunnels for 30 minutes to build your character, which is way better than say. A menu. For some reason.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

gently caress yeah.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
Deus Ex still has a tiny, active multiplayer community full of people just loving around with admin tools

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Also how can you not love the borderline racist accents in DX1.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
I finished Deus Ex the first time some 3-4 years ago and it's still one of my favorite games of all time. Of course time has taken its toll and not everyone likes the same things, but objectively speaking that game was pretty groundbreaking at its time and became a classic for a reason.

I mean I never got into Ocarina of Time myself but I can still recognize why it's considered such an important and beloved game. Trying to claim that in reality it was actually a bad game back in '98 would be real dumb of me, even if I don't personally hold it in such high regard.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I still remember this song. Playing nonstop while I explored Hong Kong, which was basically the size of a shopping mall, like it was the theme to Super Mario Bros.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
If you're going to complain about the soundtrack to any Deus Ex game, even Invisible War kind of, then I'm afraid I am just never going to be able to take your silly, foolish arguments seriously.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Ekster posted:

Also how can you not love the borderline racist accents in DX1.
related:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8SC7z8W134

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
I hope Mankind Divided is going to be rad. If they can at least match the quality of Human Revolution then I'm gonna be all over that video game.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

The Colonel posted:

If you're going to complain about the soundtrack to any Deus Ex game, even Invisible War kind of, then I'm afraid I am just never going to be able to take your silly, foolish arguments seriously.

I bet you listen to game music in your car

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Kanfy posted:

I hope Mankind Divided is going to be rad. If they can at least match the quality of Human Revolution then I'm gonna be all over that video game.

I heard there's gonna be a NG+ mode which sounds like a godsend for doing the alternate routes and quests for getting 100% cheevos. Also speedrunning

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:

Kanfy posted:

I mean I never got into Ocarina of Time myself but I can still recognize why it's considered such an important and beloved game. Trying to claim that in reality it was actually a bad game back in '98 would be real dumb of me, even if I don't personally hold it in such high regard.

Deus Ex wasn't that big of a deal until well after its release, iirc. Like what started the discussion in the first place, the stuff that's janky today was janky back then, and there's a reason it took as long as it did to get a (mediocre, underfunded) sequel. Somewhere along the line "cult classic" got distorted into "critical darling and canonical Best Game" because people are easily wowed when older games let you approach levels in different ways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Halo was realeased like the very next year; so after about a decade of two-weapon-only linear corridor shooting deus ex starts looking pretty good in hindsight.

• Locked thread