Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

I've had about two bottles of Reisling and just lost 3 games 9x9 against a 12k, nice to see I'm back in this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

o.m. 94 posted:

I've had about two bottles of Reisling and just lost 3 games 9x9 against a 12k, nice to see I'm back in this

I play a lot of 9x9 against the godroid AI, and every time I think I have a decent philosophy in place I lose a bunch in a row.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
that was a really cool game

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

:patriot:

uranus posted:

that was a really cool game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3O-lwNzN0G0

A mod on ogs modded my account to 2k for some reason.

AdorableStar fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Aug 9, 2015

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
i'm thinking about trying to memorize a pro game, but i dont know how to pick. should i go for a more simple one? if there is such a thing?

Whistling Asshole
Nov 18, 2005

B to play to save the top. really easy but I blew it and lost the game because of it

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

uranus posted:

i'm thinking about trying to memorize a pro game, but i dont know how to pick. should i go for a more simple one? if there is such a thing?

does anyone have advice on this? is this even a useful thing to attempt at my level?

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

you could pick any pro game you like blood.

literally, look out there on the youtubes or game databases, pick a player that appeals to you. i love yoda norimoto. so i picked one of his games and studied it every night.

i looked at this ghostly man: http://senseis.xmp.net/?MaXiaochun

study pro games and find someone who appeals to your sensibilities

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

I reccomend eventually buying invincible.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
its so expensive though

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
i downloaded the gogod database. over 84000 games to read weeee

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

uranus posted:

its so expensive though

That's why I said eventually. One good thing about it is that it's still available for use without electricity because it's a book and you have basically 80+ fully commented games of essentially the highest quality. I mean, even if you don't get that much benefit from reading the commentary, I STILL like it for all the extra bits of history and storyline added throughout the book as well as the semi-lengthy "Go in the Edo period" and "life of shusaku" chapters.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

quote:

"In Go World issue 24 (March-April 1981) Fujisawa Shuko stated that:

...[Shuei] was the strongest of the Meijins and Honinbos. There were many strong players, like Shusaku and Shusai, but I definitely think that he was stronger than those two.

and

He had superb positional judgement. There's nothing unnatural in the flow of his moves... I always have the feeling that I'd be no match for him... I'm far below his level, but I like his go. The brilliance of his play from the fuseki to the middle game is outstanding.

Everytime I read something like this I feel unsettled - to think that the same way I might think of someone like prodigious a top player like Fujisawa Shuko would think about Shuei just feels wrong. I know that the difference in stone handicap and amount of skill/effort/ability/knowledge/whatever needed to gain one more gets exponentially bigger, but aren't all top players like 1-2 stones apart in reality? It just feels weird

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Is KGS still the place to play? Been thinking about playing some go again.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

House Louse posted:

Is KGS still the place to play? Been thinking about playing some go again.

Tell me your name and I will add you to ITGO ITGO

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Huh, seems my old account is still open and I'm in ITGO. Cheers though.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

House Louse posted:

Huh, seems my old account is still open and I'm in ITGO. Cheers though.

Message someone if you're online and no one responds. It's been twice now I've only seen your message when you're already offline.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

I've been online at like 2am US time; I thought I'd just been pushing my luck. I'll try again when I have a free morning.

On the plus side I've played my first proper game in ages, got crushed :toot:

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

House Louse posted:

I've been online at like 2am US time; I thought I'd just been pushing my luck. I'll try again when I have a free morning.

On the plus side I've played my first proper game in ages, got crushed :toot:

All the good wing places open at 11:00 and I loving hate that I have to wait until that late to get food, so I'm going to look at your game and give my sdk opinion because this thread is dead.

I like the idea with w10 but maybe just a one space jump is better - I can't say.

I'm not sure about w14 but I know b13 was bad. Maybe you should just one space jump. But the good thing about your move is that you can play k3 now and kill black's one stone later on since he can't push and cut you. I'm not even sure if f3 is a good respond because this move is so drat weird.

At w26 I think you should extend and then if black protects, net the stone. If B g15 then you can atari D14 and capture the two stones to connect - white has this ladder. The way you played you gave black a ponnuki which is probably not a good thing.

With w30 you're scared of ghosts. I think move such as R5, K3, D5 (Which makes this corner look weird as gently caress to me), O17, Q18, R17, and R14 are considerable. Or at least, they're what pop up into my mind.

I think a hane on the outside at w32 might be better. I think if black crosscuts you atari both sides then play B6? If black takes E7 atari to take the one stone you could recapture B8. I'm not sure if that's good, but if black grips your stone at B8 in response you fix your shape with a move like E7. Normally I would avoid double ataris in a crosscut but the fact that your corner seems to be better either way...:shrug:

I'm not good enough at reading or fighting to find a good response to b39 beacuse black can kill your 3 stones really easily and it's "gote" to atari your way out and connect giving him another move in the corner.

B57 should be at C1. Don't play this habit.

For w62, try the hane at N3 for fun.

I don't think the rest of the game is as important.

Oh my god I'm 5k and I have no clueeeeee

AdorableStar fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Aug 19, 2015

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

Am I being butthurt, or is it bad form for someone to play out a game to move 186 (about 2 moves away from being pass-pass) and only THEN resigning, when they were already at 0% chance to win at move ~110? I just don't get it. If you're going to resign, maybe do it 50 turns earlier?

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
The only excuse I can think of (and I'm guilty for this, but I'm a :shobon: newbie) is they weren't able to properly read out whether or not that the game was decided. What level was he?

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

17k. Like after I sealed off 100 points of territory and kept him constrained to maybe 50 it was kinda obvious but then the game went on 40 more moves around margins.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
some people like to keep playing to learn, especially against a stronger player. resigning right before counting is kind of annoying, though they may not have been aware of what is expected, maybe thinking 'well, im done playing now and i've clearly lost, so i better resign.'

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Mr. Helsbecter will you please stop shooting I am on the phone

Pander posted:

Am I being butthurt, or is it bad form for someone to play out a game to move 186 (about 2 moves away from being pass-pass) and only THEN resigning, when they were already at 0% chance to win at move ~110? I just don't get it. If you're going to resign, maybe do it 50 turns earlier?

If there's one thing Tygem can teach you, it's that it's not over even after it's over

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

Under 15 posted:

If there's one thing Tygem can teach you, it's that it's not over even after it's over

If you lose after it's over do the same thing to him and make it go to move 400 :getin:

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
reached 7k on kgs. now i can maybe feel safe calling myself SDK

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
after typing that i have to wonder.... after being stuck at around 10k for like 9 months, i suddenly rise 3 ranks in a couple months... right after starting to read fundementals of go.... . . . . a powerful book, it seems

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

uranus posted:

after typing that i have to wonder.... after being stuck at around 10k for like 9 months, i suddenly rise 3 ranks in a couple months... right after starting to read fundementals of go.... . . . . a powerful book, it seems

And now that you have learned more fundamentals you can look back at all the really silly moves at the 8-10k range while you continue to make only slightly less silly errors.

One year anniversary of my 5k rank :negative:

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

Pander posted:

It's not you that's butthurt , it's they

I can't count the number of times I've played a game to completion knowing full well it was over 50 moves ago. Letting go and accepting defeat is harder for some than others. This is the human condition

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

uranus posted:

I started reading it just before that round robin SA tournament. Tournament started and I was a 21k. Tournament ended and I was 13k. I credit the book (and dwyrin's videos) with giving me that long-missing sense of confidence when I play a move that I have an idea and purpose behind it. Connecting as life, not being afraid to sacrifice, avoiding small moves, and (critically for me) how to win without crazy fighting skills.

Got Attack and Defense now, so hopefully that last weakness in my game (terrified of fighting) can be brought in to reins.

So I guess what I'm saying is that reading is succeeding!

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

Pander posted:

So I guess what I'm saying is that reading is succeeding!

Fighting is bad.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

AdorableStar posted:

Fighting is bad.

Um, k. guess I'll never fight then! Should work out swimmingly

Prodigious
May 6, 2007
On an epic quest to find spiky rocks to upgrade my club
Something interesting I saw in a pro game on Tygem.

What is white's best endgame play on the right side?

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

mans is on some L9 sente poo poo
now we have reduced eyespace for N8 group, provided we can cut off Q4
so we follow up with Q5
black blocks at R5. but its too late. the wheels are in motion
white now plays Q8
black plasy R10 i guess to stop the linkup
but white charges ahead with R4, which b has to respond to because the follow up at Q3 is trouble
so black plays R3
and white takes the other side at R6, forcing black to fix the atari
white connects at R7, and kills black or gets seki or w/e
.... maybe not black still has lots of liberties i don't know
profit??

so yeah something like that that black has to defend

o.m. 94 fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Aug 22, 2015

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

Pander posted:

Theres a Bats lecture where he basically tries to do this (play as simply and peacefully as possible) and it works out well for him

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

o.m. 94 posted:

Theres a Bats lecture where he basically tries to do this (play as simply and peacefully as possible) and it works out well for him

Yeah, but several times during the lecture he bemoans the fact he can't fight and simply wipe out his opponent instead of playing only fundamentals.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

Pander posted:

Well you see, the joke is that the definition of reading you used applied to reading a book whereas you can equally interpret that to mean reading in games is where you suceed. Reading in games is usually during the fighting!

Prodigious
May 6, 2007
On an epic quest to find spiky rocks to upgrade my club

Prodigious posted:

Something interesting I saw in a pro game on Tygem.

What is white's best endgame play on the right side?

Here's the sequence from the real game:

White managed to reduce black's territory on the right side in sente. The main point of S10 is that black has no effective way of blocking it, since S12 threatens to cut off the Q14 black stones. For example:

It's a nice little endgame tesuji, quite hard to find in an actual game.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
i played a game on igs on my phone recently and had no misclicks and only lost about 4 minutes of my time when i accidentally left the game and couldnt figure out how to get back in for a while. over all, went terrific! i'd always avoided playing on my phone because i assumed it would be a terribly frustrating experience, but the client is actually pretty good. when you tap on the board it zooms in for you to tap again, to avoid misclicks, very handy. i sense more go on the go in my future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

uranus posted:

i sense more go on the go in my future.

You deserve a ban for this.