Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I don't normally watch unboxing videos, but I've been watching Northernlion cover indie games on YouTube for like three years now. Him and his wife LovelyMomo bought a Fat Pack after becoming convinced by a friend, and now they're opening an entire box of Origins. Northernlion hasn't played Magic since he was like 12, and LovelyMomo hasn't ever I believe. I didn't expect to watch more than five minutes of it, but it's really revealed a lot into how new players think. They're attracted to the build-around-me themes of Thopters and Elves, balk at cards that cost too much mana, love foils and mythics, and appreciate the reminder text on cards. It's like watching all of WotC's market research come to fruition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaan
May 24, 2005

It's pretty weird that Dack is going into the underworld of Theros. It would be hilarious if he managed to rescue Elspeth instead of Ajani.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

suicidesteve posted:

So it took me almost a year but I'm finally done with my Modern deck.

Now to finish Vintage!

:cry:

Is that a Foil Russian Hooting Mandrils? Good stuff.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Alaan posted:

It's pretty weird that Dack is going into the underworld of Theros. It would be hilarious if he managed to rescue Elspeth instead of Ajani.

Stealing someone's relevancy in a story sounds exactly like what the multiverse's greatest thief would do.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

mcmagic posted:

Is that a Foil Russian Hooting Mandrils? Good stuff.

Yep! I got it for like $2.50 on ebay. Everyone gave me crap for it back when I got it.

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

suicidesteve posted:

Yep! I got it for like $2.50 on ebay. Everyone gave me crap for it back when I got it.

Why would anyone give you crap for that?

Alaan
May 24, 2005

I was also unaware that Shiv and Zhalfir are still phased out of existence. So I guess that could be a future story anchor of any return to Dominaria. Because they'd be the only non-hosed spot on the entire plane basically.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Thisuck posted:

Why would anyone give you crap for that?

Because who's ever going to play Hooting Mandrills when you could play Bananaman or Zombiefish? Which is a fair point.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Chill la Chill posted:

Is Liliana yandere for Jace? :allears:

We really need anime versions of all planes walkers btw. Anime LOTV :3:

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Ramos posted:

Stealing someone's relevancy in a story sounds exactly like what the multiverse's greatest thief would do.

Daydo Fackman

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
The Gurmag Angler art is so loving bad...

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

B-baka I just made too much fire. It's not like I like you or anything.

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

mcmagic posted:

Whoa whoa dude, Jace I can understand but why you gotta hate on the zombie fish. He's legit as hell.

I'm about to play some Hooting dudes in the Modern BUG Delver deck I'm trying out.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

mcmagic posted:

Hating on Gurmag Angler is unacceptable.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Thisuck posted:

Whoa whoa dude, Jace I can understand but why you gotta hate on the zombie fish. He's legit as hell.

I'm about to play some Hooting dudes in the Modern BUG Delver deck I'm trying out.

Now that I'm playing the card in Modern and Legacy I'm just realizing how ugly it is lol

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

B-baka I just made too much fire. It's not like I like you or anything.

just give chandra a sword and change planeswalkers back to old planeswalkers and everything goes full circle on anime tropes

please kill this before shanadra is a thing tia.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Aug 19, 2015

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

mcmagic posted:

Now that I'm playing the card in Modern and Legacy I'm just realizing how ugly it is lol

Of course it's ugly, it's a giant zombie fish. Joe Gurmaggio has great art and I'll not hear another word of this!

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
i'm glad the duck is still kicking about.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Kawaii sugoi :3: I enjoy this art way more than the Steve Argyle backbreaking style.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Anime is good, people who complain about anime are bad.

"I'm the next card!" "I lost"

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Chill la Chill posted:

Kawaii sugoi :3: I enjoy this art way more than the Steve Argyle backbreaking style.

Its not all sunshine and rainbows. The place I found those three had a Chandra x Lili picture that would put the Sorin x Jace playmat to shame. :gonk:

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Alaan posted:

THE GREATEST THIEF IN THE MULTIVERSE steals the God of Death's most prized possession.....and during his daring escape, her heart.

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

Angry Grimace posted:

THE GREATEST THIEF IN THE MULTIVERSE steals the God of Death's most prized possession.....and during his daring escape, her heart.

Where can I sub to your fanfics?

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

suicidesteve posted:

So it took me almost a year but I'm finally done with my Modern deck.

Now to finish Vintage!

:cry:

I hope you win a ton of games from being able to consistently cut to your Blood Moons.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

Angry Grimace posted:

February sees the first set of the "Shipping" Block in time for Valentine's Day. All prerelease events are 2-Headed-Giant only. Instead of choosing colors for your prerelease box you choose a planeswalker couple with your partner.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

ThePeavstenator posted:

February sees the first set of the "Shipping" Block in time for Valentine's Day. All prerelease events are 2-Headed-Giant only. Instead of choosing colors for your prerelease box you choose a planeswalker couple with your partner.

http://www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/ld/136

thuly
Jun 19, 2005

Transcending history, and the world, a tale of MS Paint and animes, endlessly retold.

ThePeavstenator posted:

Uhhhh I want this to happen now

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

thuly posted:

Uhhhh I want this to happen now

Tsundere Walker Ships include Jace/Liliana, Gideon/Chandra, Dack/Elspeth, Garruk/Nissa, and the fan requested Bolas/Ugin.

:pwn:

E: lol @ the card choices

ThePeavstenator fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Aug 19, 2015

GlennFinito
Oct 15, 2013

Angry Grimace posted:

I actually think the idea of a W/B Elspeth with that mask is kinda cool

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

JerryLee posted:

I hope you win a ton of games from being able to consistently cut to your Blood Moons.

I've never actually drawn the dumb things.
If only they let me cut my own deck. :negative:

If they made that art in foil I'd be playing them, but I've got standards.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Oh gosh :3:

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Even Tasigur is blushing at all the kawaii. :3:

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

cheetah7071 posted:

Anime is bad , people who complain about anime are good.

it is
Aug 19, 2011

by Smythe
I play legacy (and various limited formats) and I'm looking at getting into standard. If money, rotation, and fun are no object and my literal only goal is to win as many games of Magic: The Gathering as possible, what's the best deck for me to play? I think the meta here has lots of mono-red and Abzan aggro.

Bonus questions: how would your answer change if I didn't want to buy a bunch of Theros/M15 stuff? Or if fun mattered?

Thanks!

Modest Mike
Oct 23, 2008

Upon your feet you have ten toes, they look just like...
po-ta-toes!

i am posting in the something awful dot com message boards magic the gathering thread about my dislike of anime because i am a cool guy. :banjo:

but seriously, gently caress anime.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Is it anime dump hour? Well, I'm never going to get a better chance to productively poo poo post than this.

And now a crossover with every goon's favorite series of technically not animes:

Thank you japanese fan artists. Japan loves Chandra, by the way.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
I...is that an anime sliver girl?

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

It's Chandra.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Angry Grimace posted: