Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Rare games belong in the trash. Sorry the bin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

In Training posted:

I'm gonna call in my friend Chunky Kong, because Chunky's my pal, and he's gonna beat you up.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

In Training posted:

RC Pro Am loving owned god drat it

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

In Training posted:

Nintendo fans are a bunch of bitter betties and have been trying to downplay the quality of Rare's old games because that's what people are nostalgic for now with the n64.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
DKC2 a good game

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

In Training posted:

Blast Corps, my friend

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

The Colonel posted:

DKC2 a good game

yeah. its pretty good. as a child, i used to play dkc2 a lot with my sister.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
rare really started to suck a lot towards the end, though

i wonder why so much of the snes / n64 rare stuff was so good but then perfect dark zero happened

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
Rare is still alive, and making an online cartoon Pirate game

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The only ones I know are the N64 games and they were always bad

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

hubris.height posted:

i wonder why so much of the snes / n64 rare stuff was so good but then perfect dark zero happened

Microsoft is the Isaiah Thomas of game developers.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I will never understand Banjo-Kazooie and Tooie's popularity.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

In Training posted:

I'm gonna Super Simian Slam you

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

In Training posted:

you didn't like og perfect dark or goldeneye? i'll grant that today they're garbage, but at the time there wasn't anything on the consoles for 4 player mayhem with your friends.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

In Training posted:

How do people like this cartoony collectathon platformer with goofy looking characters and gimmick moves - A nintendo fan, 2015

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

In Training posted:

They are good video games.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
Perfect Dark Zero looked so loving cool to teenage me and my friends, with its robot suits and sweet rear end katanas and online multiplayer.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Averge Well meaning Person: Man I wish I could still buy Rare's N64 games

Nintendo Fan: N-n-no you don't want that, BUY A GAMECUBE, A GAMECUBE! IT'S SOOO MUCH BETTER YOU HAVE WINDWAKER AND SUPER MARIO SUNSHINE AND DONKEY KONGA YOU DONT NEED RARE GAMES JUST BUYA A GAMECUBE THATS WHERE THE GOOD poo poo IS NONE OF THE GAMES RARE MADE FOR THE n64 WERE GOOD! *falls into pile of amiibos and has a shaking fit*

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

exquisite tea posted:

How do people like this cartoony collectathon platformer with goofy looking characters and gimmick moves - A nintendo fan, 2015

Lol

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
the taint reaps again

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
haha i remember Donkey Konga it was actually really fun

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

hubris.height posted:

the taint reaps again

September chat thread: Ask not for whom the taint reaps.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

hubris.height posted:

you didn't like og perfect dark or goldeneye? i'll grant that today they're garbage, but at the time there wasn't anything on the consoles for 4 player mayhem with your friends.

My friends and I all played smash instead. Or Excitebike 64.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The Taint Reaper posted:

Averge Well meaning Person: Man I wish I could still buy Rare's N64 games

Nintendo Fan: N-n-no you don't want that, BUY A GAMECUBE, A GAMECUBE! IT'S SOOO MUCH BETTER YOU HAVE WINDWAKER AND SUPER MARIO SUNSHINE AND DONKEY KONGA YOU DONT NEED RARE GAMES JUST BUYA A GAMECUBE THATS WHERE THE GOOD poo poo IS NONE OF THE GAMES RARE MADE FOR THE n64 WERE GOOD! *falls into pile of amiibos and has a shaking fit*

I would suggest they play Mario 64 because it isn't a joyless spreadsheet of a game.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
super mario galaxy > super mario 3D world > SMG2 > Super Mario 3D land > Super Mario Sunshine > Mario 64

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

precision posted:

super mario galaxy > super mario 3D world > SMG2 > Super Mario 3D land > Super Mario Sunshine > Mario 64

I would swap SMG2 and 1 but otherwise, agreed.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

In Training posted:

I would suggest they play Mario 64 because it isn't a joyless spreadsheet of a game.

Neither was Banjo kazooie, Diddy Kong Racing, Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, or even Banjo Tooie

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
Diddy Kong Racing, is better than Mario Kart 64.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The Taint Reaper posted:

Neither was Banjo kazooie, Diddy Kong Racing, Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, or even Banjo Tooie

Well, we will have to agree to disagree here Taint.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

The Colonel posted:

For the Racing Aspect yes it was, the battle mode left abit to be desired where as MK's battle mode was perfect.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

The Colonel posted:

It's definitely underrated. I preferred MK64's multiplayer at least but DKR has the better single player campaign.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
logigun was one of the underrated hits of 2014, imo. it had some impressive puzzle design overall, and i think the story was very cute.

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug
Dizzy Kong Racing was originally a RC pro am clone

theultimo fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Aug 19, 2015

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:

The Colonel posted:

DKC2 a good game

The music is pretty bad compared to the first one, imo, but the game is good.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
DKC1 is good but largely overrated in the grand scheme of things. It's like the first Jurassic Park film, it had its time and place and is hugely important historically but it's hard to revisit if you didn't play it at the time. DKC2 is everything good about the first game but expanded and made more challenging and is overall excellent, one of my favorite platformers of all time. DKC3 isn't bad but it's easily my least favorite, just kind really weird and gimmicky.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

hubris.height posted:

A lot of the good people at Rare left right around the Microsoft buyout or were making GBA and DS games.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Blast Corps rules, Jet Force Gemini is good, DKC is fine, DKC2 is good, DKC3 is fine, Diddy Kong Racing is good, RC Pro Am is good, Conker is fine, Deus Ex is poo poo.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
It's pretty clear that rare has made many decent and good games for two Nintendo systems and certainly contributed much more than many of Nintendo's current second party studio lineups.

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug
Rare made taboo the sixth sense. It's physic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

The Colonel posted:

diddy kong racing is really difficult, i remember getting really frustrated with the difficulty.

• Locked thread