Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Winkie01 posted:

Cruz: "We should end granting automatic birthright citizenship to the children of those who are here illegally."'

Thank you Donald Trump.

When the Republicans finally emerge, bleary-eyed from their raucous primary, I can't wait to see how all these outlandish statements they've been making to grab the spotlight play with a general audience. Reminds me of that quote about not interrupting your enemy while they're making a mistake, but there's got to be things being said now that are getting a pass for being set next to Donald Trump that'll reemerge.

In the unthinkable case where Trump's the candidate I think his teflon status won't hold quite so well when he doesn't have such a large percent of the vote pool to fall back on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Nintendo Kid posted:

The Republican who investigated it, yes, are you arguing that Hillary actually is keeping emails still on that server or what? All emails, from all available evidence, have been deleted from the server, with prior backups being made of appropriate emails. This is standard procedure when you ain't going to use a server anymore.

Yes, and the apparently personal emails were deleted from the server prior to the investigation getting ahold of the server. That is the questionable action in this.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Neurolimal posted:

Yes, and the apparently personal emails were deleted from the server prior to the investigation getting ahold of the server. That is the questionable action in this.

That's not a questionable action. It's standard operating procedure for government work when your position allows you to have a personal email server.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Spaceman Future! posted:

Lets take it away from those impostors born in Canada too.

e.

http://theweek.com/articles/571830/why-ted-cruz-best-chance-becoming-gop-nominee

Bwhahahahaha ha ha

quote:

Not long ago, people were convinced that more moderate candidates were destined to win GOP primaries. John McCain's and Mitt Romney's victories indicated that conservatives had to make do with vice presidential nominees. But neither McCain nor Romney had to contend with someone as savvy and put-together as Cruz. You don't have to be an Oscar-winning screenwriter to visualize how Cruz would have brought the boom down on those two.

Cant, breathe, in, tears theyre so desperate man, so desperate to pretend that this circus hasn't gone completely off the rails

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Nintendo Kid posted:

That's not a questionable action.

It is; there is no way to confirm that these emails in question were harmless.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

In a thread full of delusions this may be the most delusional yet.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Neurolimal posted:

If Clinton is asserting that those emails were harmless and irrelevant, then she needs to prove it.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

stoutfish posted:

i bet there was real dank poo poo in those emails

Hillary definitely kept hentai where ninja chicks were being raped but turn the table on their rapists and snap their dicks off with their vaginas

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Neurolimal posted:

And there's even less way to confirm they weren't harmless. Since they almost certainly were, or were only going to be harmful to some dumbasses' feelings when she was being catty with some staffers.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Neurolimal posted:

The security breach in question was taking home classified emails

This is considered a security breach when anyone does it except the Secretary of State

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Brannock posted:

If Clinton is asserting that those emails were harmless and irrelevant, then she needs to prove it.

The content of those mails is only relevant if you can prove you have a right to view them, and since you cant they are irrelevant unless an agency who has that authority finds a reason otherwise.

Necc0 posted:

This is considered a security breach when anyone does it except the Secretary of State

yeah this seems to be a point of confusion here, the security protocols are to defend the information until the secretary of state declares what is done with it, they have free reign over it, its everyone else that has to keep it secure until the Secretary says otherwise.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
I figured goons would be a bit more privy to general email SOP than the fox news target audience.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
I know it's an IT breach, but I've dealt with several C-level executives who used both personal and work emails for work issues. This included confidential proprietary information. It doesn't seem that unusual, though of course Secretary of State is different than CFO of a tech company.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Nintendo Kid posted:

And there's even less way to confirm they weren't harmless. Since they almost certainly were, or were only going to be harmful to some dumbasses' feelings when she was being catty with some staffers.

This is the kind of double-standard I was talking about. If it were a republican candidate and presidential cabinet member nobody would be suggesting that the rapidly deleted emails isn't a red flag.

Forgive me if I feel the integrity of an investigation is more important than hiding "catty emails".

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Necc0 posted:

Thats cool dude, no really. It's not like I've said multiple times that the actual retaining of classified emails is a nonstory or anything. Reading comprehension is for nerds

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Neurolimal posted:

This is the kind of double-standard I was talking about. If it were a republican candidate and presidential cabinet member nobody would be suggesting that the rapidly deleted emails isn't a red flag.

Forgive me if I feel the integrity of an investigation is more important than hiding "catty emails".

Hiding the poo poo you talk about foreign leaders behind their back during negotiaion is more important than some people with an axe to grind trying to prove a negative, sorry.

point of return
Aug 13, 2011

by exmarx

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

George W. Bush received 44% of the hispanic vote in 2004, I don't see why Jeb couldn't match that.
Hispanics, as a group, are going to have an abnormally young voting age because if you're Hispanic, the older you are, the less likely you are to be a citizen. Given that Millenials who came of age in the Bush years and first voted for Obama are pretty solidly Dem, this works pretty strongly against the Republicans.

This is also why the Republicans want to get rid of birthright citizenship

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot

Lastgirl posted:

Hillary definitely kept hentai where ninja chicks were being raped but turn the table on their rapists and snap their dicks off with their vaginas

wut

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Neurolimal posted:

I do hate to agree with Chris Christie on most things, but he has a point here:

http://www.cnn.com/2015/08/17/politics/chris-christie-hillary-clinton-emails/

Chris Christie posted:

"Can you imagine, if after the bridge investigation began, I came out and said 'Oh, I've done all my business as governor on a private email server. And, I've deleted now 30,000 of those emails. But trust me none of it had to do with the bridge.' Give me a break," Christie said on CNN's "New Day."

Even if what Clinton did with her email server was perfectly legal, the optics of it aren't great.
Of course once again, my original point stands - nobody cares. I personally take a "meh" attitude it toward and wouldn't use it as an excuse to vote against her in a general election.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Spaceman Future! posted:

Hiding the poo poo you talk about foreign leaders behind their back during negotiaion is more important than some people with an axe to grind trying to prove a negative, sorry.

Do you think Putin is going to start a war if it gets out that Hillary called him a shorty in a private email?

Biden was caught going "who's the loving superpower here?" After Bibi shat on Obama's administration, it changed nothing. Politics, as absurd as they are, still aren't the equivalent of a political comedy you caught on Comedy Central once.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

I'm still holding out for the other Bush in the family

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

The Nastier Nate posted:

I do hate to agree with Chris Christie on most things

edit: I agree though that Hillary is under investigation.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

:bernin:

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Neurolimal posted:

Do you think Putin is going to start a war if it gets out that Hillary called him a shorty in a private email?

Biden was caught going "who's the loving superpower here?" After Bibi shat on Obama's administration, it changed nothing.

We're more concerned with the people who forgot we are dicks than the ones that actively hate us because they like to trade and let our soldiers accidentally kill their civilians in training exercises HTH

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Spaceman Future! posted:

We're more concerned with the people who forgot we are dicks than the ones that actively hate us because they like to trade and let our soldiers accidentally kill their civilians in training exercises HTH

And we will continue to "accidentally" kill their civillians even if it comes out that Hillary called their leader a worthless layabout who smells like poo poo in an E-mail. Because picking a fight with America over personal pride is a losing position both to their citizens and to the whole "not starving" aspect.

How many of the catty cable leaks lead to strained relations?

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Neurolimal posted:

And we will continue to "accidentally" kill their civillians even if it comes out that Hillary called their leader a worthless layabout who smells like poo poo in an E-mail. Because picking a fight with America over personal pride is a losing position both to their citizens and to the whole "not starving" aspect.

How many of the catty cable leaks lead to strained relations?

Thats a good question, how many closed door diplomatic meetings were you in where the leaks lead to negotiation issues? The rest of us want to know.

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

The Nastier Nate posted:

The problem for republicans is that no one cares. After 2 years of Benghazi and 13 congressional hearing, anyone who isn't already sour on :shillary: just sees it as more of a desperation witch hunt to keep our most-likely next president out of the white house.

But it's a potentially criminal matter now - the public could support her actions 98%, what actually matters is how the DoJ and the larger intelligence community feels about her actions and what else they'll find. I can't imagine canned "SNAPCHAT LOL" jokes are helping there.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Neurolimal posted:

What double standard? I didn't have any issue with what Colin Powell did either. Are you imagining things again?

Maybe they should have started an investigation before she'd been out of office for years then? What would have been improper is if she'd kept all the emails on the server in perpetuity.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
This also presumes that 1) it would still be a scandal one year from now, when the person who said it might be elected and 2) Hillary is elected to office.

I, personally, find it absurd that we should bend the rules for anyone running for president. Would you be ok with this if it were Joe Arpaio?

quote:

Thats a good question, how many closed door diplomatic meetings were you in where the leaks lead to negotiation issues? The rest of us want to know.

So your stance is "turn a blind eye to shady behavior, because it might harm trade relations (even though I have no observable example from a prior similar situation), if the person happens to be elected to POTUS", so I have that correct?

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Aug 19, 2015

funtax
Feb 28, 2001
Forum Veteran

Shageletic posted:

I'd argue against this. The primary point of what is considered the "Obama coalition" is that whites can overwhelmingly vote for the opposite candidate, and that candidate can still lose.

https://www.americanprogress.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/ObamaCoalition-5.pdf

This is not something that is likely to change for Presidential year elections. The white portion of voters are only destined to shrink, while minorities, who overwhelmingly supported Bill Clinton, still overwhelmingly support Hillary Clinton.

That explains WHY the Obama Coalition was successful. It tells you very little about whether or not it will remain largely unchanged in the future. As I've said repeatedly, it's simply too early to have any sense of how the likely electorate will be feeling in 14 months time. Generic support for Bill Clinton is not a good predictor of likely turnout for Hillary (much less Bernie or Biden). In addition, the reason they call it a COALITION is that it's made up of discrete elements. While black voters consistently support democrats 90+% of the time, Hispanic voters vary anywhere from 55% to 75% support for Democrats, depending on the candidate, specific election, etc. Turnout is also highly variable. High turnout one cycle is not a guarantee of high turnout in the next - especially when the top of the ticket is changing.

quote:

To overturn these numbers, you would need a once in a generation Republican candidate to push against this headwind, and brother, we sure as heck don't have it this go-around.

As I've said previously, this simply isn't true. Any viable Republican has a very good chance of winning in 2016 due to the preponderance of factors that are likely to dampen Democratic enthusiasm while emboldening conservative voters. That could change in the coming months and actual evidence of a legitimate Democratic "firewall" might appear. But for now, people are putting WAAAY too much faith in the idea that voters will absolutely, unquestionably turn out with the same force in 2016 as they did in 2008 and 2012.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Neurolimal posted:

Thats cool dude, no really. It's not like I've said multiple times that the actual retaining of classified emails is a nonstory or anything. Reading comprehension is for nerds

Yes but you're calling it a security breach when it's not at all that. It's a privilege explicitly granted to the sec. of state.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Neurolimal posted:

I, personally, find it absurd that we should bend the rules for anyone running for president. Would you be ok with this if it were Joe Arpaio?

The rules weren't bent. She followed the rules. Joe Arpaio's crimes don't require any emails to attempt to prove, incidentally. So if Arizona has some rules that say sheriffs can have private email servers then I don't care what he does with with his personal emails on there.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Neurolimal posted:

This also presumes that 1) it would still be a scandal one year from now, when the person who said it might be elected and 2) Hillary is elected to office.

So your stance is "turn a blind eye to shady behavior, because it might harm trade relations (even though I have no observable example from a prior similar situation), if the person happens to be elected to POTUS", so I have that correct?

You claim that there is no example because you are not in any position to be able to make that claim. You are also not able to specify what "shady" information you are upset doesn't exist anymore, because you are arguing wholly in the hypothetical that it existed at all but are upset that a hypothetical is provided in opposition to your argument.

Also, you must be having a stroke because Hillary is not a Potus so

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005
Classified and top secret information was sitting on a thumb drive in Hillary's laywer's desk drawer.

How is that not a security breach?

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Nintendo Kid posted:

The rules weren't bent. She followed the rules. Joe Arpaio's crimes don't require any emails to attempt to prove, incidentally. So if Arizona has some rules that say sheriffs can have private email servers then I don't care what he does with with his personal emails on there.

And if he might have committed additional crimes or illicit/shady behaviour on the server, its okay if he deletes some "personal emails" before handing it over?

Bob Ojeda
Apr 15, 2008

I AM A WHINY LITTLE EMOTIONAL BITCH BABY WITH NO SENSE OF HUMOR

IF YOU SEE ME POSTING REMIND ME TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

TheDisreputableDog posted:

Classified and top secret information was sitting on a thumb drive in Hillary's laywer's desk drawer.

How is that not a security breach?

well, we don't know how secure the desk drawer was

let's not jump to any conclusions here

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Neurolimal posted:

And if he might have committed additional crimes or illicit/shady behaviour on the server, its okay if he deletes some "personal emails" before handing it over?

For all we know you are injecting heroin directly into the eyes of trafficked Ethiopian children as we speak, does this unsubstantiated claim give anyone the right to demand you release your personal communications so that we can look for proof of the things we are making up on the fly?

point of return
Aug 13, 2011

by exmarx
The most terrible behavior Joe Arpaio has done is stuff that he does openly because the white people of Arizona love the heinous things he does.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Bob Ojeda posted:

well, we don't know how secure the desk drawer was

let's not jump to any conclusions here

Also have to check the vents to see if any bolts were loose, never know if people infiltrate through the vents as they often do.

We also have to determine how secure the room and the proximity of its location to any Arab consulates. I watched Homeland, I know how hard Hillary's gonna go down from this. Saul Goodman's going to sell her out to keep the status quo running in the long term.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

The Nastier Nate posted:

I do hate to agree with Chris Christie on most things, but he has a point here:

http://www.cnn.com/2015/08/17/politics/chris-christie-hillary-clinton-emails/

The difference being that Hillary doesn't have a bridge scandal, making the optics in her case, as you say, "meh."

• Locked thread