Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What will the Nightly Show be like?
This poll is closed.
A news parody, like the Daily Show 15 13.27%
A pundit satire, like the Colbert Report 7 6.19%
Something else entirely 91 80.53%
Total: 113 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

MikeJF posted:

Trump/Palin.

I never thought I'd say this, but I'm with Irish Joe, I think Trump/Cruz would be worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Cruz or Palin won't add or subtract from Trump. Trump is already perfect.

Trump/Cheney 2016

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Trump/Irish Joe

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

raditts posted:

I would argue that any "charisma" assigned to him just stems from the "rich" part and/or his long-running hour-long vanity commercial, he has a history of being a tantrum-throwing manchild who burns all his bridges. But apparently there are people that look at him and say "That Trump fella seems alright" so v:confused:v

The whole question of Trump's candidacy can be summed up in a bumper sticker slogan: "If you're so smart, why aren't you rich?" At least that's how he would put it....endlessly and without provocation.

Sair
May 11, 2007

IRQ posted:

Not really. Mike Rowe's pet issue is the working class and working class jobs. If you're referring to that letter to the Romneybot, it was in response to him perceiving Obama as not giving a gently caress (which he doesn't).

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Wow, that sounds like a great way to stay on the absolute bottom rung of a company and get completely exploited...?

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

We're all awash in a sea of blood, and the least we can do is wave to each other.

I'm pretty sure free market employment is a genuine religion to Mike Rowe and it can do no wrong, will always be moral, and anyone complaining or attacking it is ignorant, corrupt or malicious.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

I didn't say it was terribly wise to worship being a manual labor wage slave but if you've watched any of his shows it's clear he values people who do bitch work a whole lot.

I don't think he does that to the detriment of education and skilled work seeing as he's been in the arts basically forever, just he thinks most people look down on poo poo jobs.

Although he seems to be taking it a bit far with that dumb pledge to be a wage slave and not complain about it.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
I read it as more along the lines of thinking a poo poo job is better than no job, educating ones self is better than complaining, and self-reliance is better than dependence.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

kayakyakr posted:

I read it as more along the lines of thinking a poo poo job is better than no job, educating ones self is better than complaining, and self-reliance is better than dependence.

It's also basically stating that environmental factors aren't a thing, and that a generationally poor kid should blame himself if he fails while a rich kid from the OC gets into Berkeley without much trouble. I agree that whining and bitching can be annoying, but to say "we should accept that life isn't fair" is a hilarious simplification. It reads like something you'd see plastered on a poster in the slums in Bioshock Infinite.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Pander posted:

It's also basically stating that environmental factors aren't a thing, and that a generationally poor kid should blame himself if he fails while a rich kid from the OC gets into Berkeley without much trouble. I agree that whining and bitching can be annoying, but to say "we should accept that life isn't fair" is a hilarious simplification. It reads like something you'd see plastered on a poster in the slums in Bioshock Infinite.

It seems weird that Berkeley asks for your parents' income statements on admission applications. When I applied to college, they just wanted to know my GPA and SAT scores, and I remember being at a distinct disadvantage having gone to a private school with high standards because my GPA was like a full point lower than it would have been if I went to a public school.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Irish Joe posted:

It seems weird that Berkeley asks for your parents' income statements on admission applications. When I applied to college, they just wanted to know my GPA and SAT scores, and I remember being at a distinct disadvantage having gone to a private school with high standards because my GPA was like a full point lower than it would have been if I went to a public school.

I went to an a really competitive high school, they would give out a class ranking as well as a county ranking of where you compared to all the kids in the school district. I think my year the top 20 in the class were in the top 25 for the county.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Yeah the competitive private school thing, I was in one of those. 2.5/4.0 GPA (Post Weighting), still in the top quarter of my class. Schools like mine have whole offices dedicated to selling you to a college, and how better their students are then the other competing private schools. I'm pretty sure colleges also have their own weighting based on those working relationships; Eg, a 3.4 student from my school has nearly double the chance of getting into Stanford then a 4.2 student at the top public school in the state.

As far as income. The best colleges have caps for how many wealthy kids they can admit and how many poor kids they need at a minimum. Just like they need a curve of ethnicity. Harvard can't accept just rich white kids, if they did than all the other snobby schools would judge them despite wanting to do the same.

Pretty much to sum it up education in America is a black hole for your money.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I worked in the admissions office at a near NYU level private school on the east coast.

You're not at a disadvantage by going to a super competitive high school - you're always competing against those kids in roughly the same socioeconomic status and region.

A kid in Compton is in no way competing for the same "slot" as some posh douchenozzle in beverly hills.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

That doesn't seem too out of character for the "blue collar champion" who became a millionaire off his TV show where he rolls around in poo poo for half an hour at a time.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Yeah, Mike Rowe has a real blind spot for his "all I need is hard work" outlook. And every time he does a "kids these days" rant, he comes across as a complete dullard.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Yeah, Mike Rowe has a real blind spot for his "all I need is hard work" outlook. And every time he does a "kids these days" rant, he comes across as a complete dullard.

Yeah he glorifies blue collar work in a bizarre way. His opinion seems to be "yeah, rooting around in literal human poo poo is a bad job, but if it got eliminated because of a federal wage hike that would be a tragedy". And it's not like in a year or so there won't be a Buzzfeed article of "15 Niche Sanitation Jobs Boomers Won't Give Up".

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

I think this Nightly Show panel on Amazon has helped me realize what I don't like about these panels. When you've got 1 or 2 people on the panel that are comedians, the conversation is mostly going to be poo poo because they can never seem to settle on whether the discussion is supposed to be comedic or serious, and they try (and fail) to have it both ways from night to night. Then of course there's the times where they have people on whose views are just plain repulsive.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

raditts posted:

I think this Nightly Show panel on Amazon has helped me realize what I don't like about these panels. When you've got 1 or 2 people on the panel that are comedians, the conversation is mostly going to be poo poo because they can never seem to settle on whether the discussion is supposed to be comedic or serious, and they try (and fail) to have it both ways from night to night. Then of course there's the times where they have people on whose views are just plain repulsive.

I enjoy that Larry didn't actually bring up any of the really heinous poo poo in the Amazon story, like several people getting essentially tracked into being fired because their work suffered due to things such as a)their cancer-stricken father requiring them to stop working as much overtime b)recovering from thyroid cancer treatments c) recovering from a loving miscarriage.

If all you knew about this matter came from TNS, you'd think it was essentially just well-paid people being upset they had to work overtime, because 99% of discussion came down to "they're paid well, who cares. Besides, I need my Prime."

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Oh Snapple! posted:

I enjoy that Larry didn't actually bring up any of the really heinous poo poo in the Amazon story, like several people getting essentially tracked into being fired because their work suffered due to things such as a)their cancer-stricken father requiring them to stop working as much overtime b)recovering from thyroid cancer treatments c) recovering from a loving miscarriage.

If all you knew about this matter came from TNS, you'd think it was essentially just well-paid people being upset they had to work overtime, because 99% of discussion came down to "they're paid well, who cares. Besides, I need my Prime."

Exactly. It's like for a lot of things he doesn't go in depth enough for it to be serious and informative at all, which would be okay if the focus was on comedy. But then the commentary isn't really that funny either, so it fails there too and just seems like a bunch of assholes at happy hour and you're left wondering why the gently caress they're even spending 10 minutes doing this. If I wanted some low-info bullshit opinions, I'd just read a facebook comment section.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Sounds like Larry is making Bill Maher's show look loving amazing right now.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

raditts posted:

This is why I don't get all the praise Mike Yard gets here, on the panels he's always trying to clown the topic and winds up saying something that is, take your pick: smug, offensive, or the lowest hanging fruit possible. He's a comedian (allegedly), I don't blame him for trying to do that, it's just wrong for the show when you have a panel discussion on serious topics.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

He's usually just as awful as everyone else on the panels, but I think most of the praise for him comes from him usually being the best part of the bits on the non-panel segments (a low bar to be sure, but still).

jerichojx
Oct 21, 2010
The Daily Show is usually my source for messed up things in the US. Other than LWT, are there any other shows that try their best to cover such stuff without being pants-on-head stupid or lying?

I watched the Fox Rep debate and it was quite disappointing to see Jeb denounce "Obama's pull-out from Iraq".

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

jerichojx posted:

The Daily Show is usually my source for messed up things in the US. Other than LWT, are there any other shows that try their best to cover such stuff without being pants-on-head stupid or lying?

I watched the Fox Rep debate and it was quite disappointing to see Jeb denounce "Obama's pull-out from Iraq".

The Young Turks on YouTube?

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
Get ready.

Looks like they're giving him his own desk and backdrop.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Mike Yard's non-panel stuff is good.

Yeah, the panels aren't great. I don't fault the people on it. As much as I like to give Larry the benefit of the doubt still, I think it all comes down to Larry really wanting to hang out with his comedy friends and only softball semi-serious issues. Panels are only satisfying when there's one at least one guy on there cutting through the bullshit and saying the stuff that I pretend I would say if I were smart. This doesn't happen on Nightly.

I'm trying to imagine what one-on-one interviews with Larry would be like. I'm not sure if they'd be better than what we got now.

VagueRant posted:

Sounds like Larry is making Bill Maher's show look loving amazing right now.
At least the anti-vax, islamophobia, and "POLITICAL CORRECTNESS GONE MAD" isn't coming straight from the host himself on Nightly. So nah.

And John Oliver will always make Bill Maher look terrible.

Astro Nut posted:

Get ready.

I'll always give someone who uses Power in any context a generous shot.

Echo Chamber fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Aug 19, 2015

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Astro Nut posted:

Get ready.

Dat Booty though.

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

You guys ready to hear a satanic song?

Echo Chamber posted:

At least the anti-vax, islamophobia, and "POLITICAL CORRECTNESS GONE MAD" isn't coming straight from the host himself on Nightly. So nah.

And John Oliver will always make Bill Maher look terrible.

Maher was actually pretty important and one of the better leftist media figures during the Bush era, imo. He obviously struggled once Obama took over then the anti-vax and islamophobia stuff got shipped up to 11 sooo.

He used to be just anti-religion in general but he's just been focusing on Islam for the better part of 2-3 years now.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

Astro Nut posted:

Get ready.

Yeah. They're making a whole new set.

MrPablo
Mar 21, 2003

Chromatic posted:

Maher was actually pretty important and one of the better leftist media figures during the Bush era, imo. He obviously struggled once Obama took over then the anti-vax and islamophobia stuff got shipped up to 11 sooo.

He used to be just anti-religion in general but he's just been focusing on Islam for the better part of 2-3 years now.

He has strange ideas about GMOs that are contradicted by science as well.

What bothers me about Bill Maher is the hypocrisy: he regularly (and rightly) lampoons conservatives for rejecting science, but he does exactly the same thing whenever a topic trips one of his cognitive blinders.

I still enjoy watching Real Time in spite of the nonsense. I justify it to myself by calling the show "Real Time with Racist-rear end Bill Maher".

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Chromatic posted:

Maher has always been more poo poo than not. Didn't that "Religulous" or whatever movie he made literally end with a :godwin: drop?

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Religulous was a really weird movie. Most of it has Maher getting along with super nice religious folks, and then the ending is just a complete 180 swerve.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

raditts posted:

Maher has always been more poo poo than not. Didn't that "Religulous" or whatever movie he made literally end with a :godwin: drop?

Maher is very fond of the old "you know who else did X?":godwin: chestnut.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

IRQ posted:

Maher is very fond of the old "you know who else did X?":godwin: chestnut.

This is an understatement. I've watched a lot of Real Time, he loving loves that joke.

I really enjoyed the end of Religulous, but yeah it was a complete tonal shift. It wasn't a conclusion to anything the movie set up, but it was a drat strong closing point.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I remember Religulous started off with rather inoffensive stuff like "Scientology is crazy! Creationism is stupid!" and slowly eased its way to demonizing Iran. Religulous was also the thing that got Bill Maher to endorse SOPA because he was so butthurt people were :filez: his movie.

Anyone have any thoughts about last night's Nightly? I know there's probably a D&D thread about Black Lives Matter, but I've read one or two thinkpieces critiquing the BLM members for kind of dropping the ball a bit. If you had one chance to talk to someone who's probably going to be the next president, they should have had more to say.

As much as I wish I could condemn Hillary Clinton for whitesplaining how politics works, I've gotten pretty cynical towards the effectiveness of protesting in general after seeing OWS fizzle. I understand why some BLM leaders want to resist playing "the politicians' game", but (yes I have a "but") I am really concerned that efforts to sustain a political movement could fail because people have goldfish memory and are quite good at accepting an unjust status quo if it doesn't affect them directly. Having "uncomfortable conversations" seems to still be the same trap of "conversation" when I'd prefer urgency.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Echo Chamber posted:

Having "uncomfortable conversations" seems to still be the same trap of "conversation" when I'd prefer urgency.

The problem is that white people don't respond kindly to "urgency" when it involves setting cities aflame, looting, shooting cops--ie, things they find anathema to a safe, orderly and civilized society.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Echo Chamber posted:

Anyone have any thoughts about last night's Nightly? I know there's probably a D&D thread about Black Lives Matter, but I've read one or two thinkpieces critiquing the BLM members for kind of dropping the ball a bit. If you had one chance to talk to someone who's probably going to be the next president, they should have had more to say.

I really wish they'd come out and say what they want from Sanders other than some nebulous "but does he still walk the walk?!" thing. Clinton is a right wing corporate cocksucker, why sabotage the kind of progressive guy?

MrPablo
Mar 21, 2003

Echo Chamber posted:

As much as I wish I could condemn Hillary Clinton for whitesplaining how politics works, I've gotten pretty cynical towards the effectiveness of protesting in general after seeing OWS fizzle. I understand why some BLM leaders want to resist playing "the politicians' game", but (yes I have a "but") I am really concerned that efforts to sustain a political movement could fail because people have goldfish memory and are quite good at accepting an unjust status quo if it doesn't affect them directly. Having "uncomfortable conversations" seems to still be the same trap of "conversation" when I'd prefer urgency.

i haven't seen the Tuesday episode of The Nightly Show yet, but I did listen to an excerpt of the Black Lives Matter meeting with Hillary Clinton on the Monday episode of The Rachel Maddow Show. Melissa Harris-Perry (guest-hosting for Rachel Maddow) also interviewed a couple of folks from Black Lives Matter.

What bothered me about both interviews is that the Black Lives Matter folks seemed to have the wrong priorities. Specifically, getting Hillary Clinton to acknowledge her culpability for legislation that contributed to the current mess is not constructive.

A more constructive approach would be to use the media spotlight to provide concrete policies and legislation that candidates can commit to, and then making sure the candidates follow through on their campaign promises when elected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrPablo
Mar 21, 2003

IRQ posted:

I really wish they'd come out and say what they want from Sanders other than some nebulous "but does he still walk the walk?!" thing. Clinton is a right wing corporate cocksucker, why sabotage the kind of progressive guy?

I think the issue with Sanders is that when the Black Lives Matter folks confronted him a few weeks ago, his response was to basically restate his economic policies. Addressing economic inequality is obviously important, but it does not adequately address systemic racism in law enforcement and our judicial system.

I can't say I disagree with that assessment, but I do agree that focusing on Sanders seems kind of counterproductive.

• Locked thread