Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Bottom Liner posted:

You're way too hung up on the idea that Stormtroopers should be an ominous scary threat and you're forgetting that an entire army of them got beaten by literal teddy bears.

I think he's hung up on the idea that there should be a scary threat in a game where you play superpowered superheroes and the problem is that there isn't one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Strobe posted:

I think he's hung up on the idea that there should be a scary threat in a game where you play superpowered superheroes and the problem is that there isn't one.

There are, they just don't cost 2 threat apiece.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.

Bottom Liner posted:

You're way too hung up on the idea that Stormtroopers should be an ominous scary threat and you're forgetting that an entire army of them got beaten by literal teddy bears.

Carnivorous, booby trap devising, hail of stones throwing teddy bears with a good knowledge of the field though.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Welcome to 'dor, I've seen things you wouldn't believe...

*has a thousand yard stare*

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
It's a couple of things. The campaign game is incredibly objective focused and the heroes so exceptionally tough that you regularly see weird things where heroes saunter into a room full of guys with guns and ignore them for the crate.

In the films stormtroopers can't hit anything but they drive the heroes back, or force them to employ trickery and cunning and that side isn't really represented at all. So the players making quick calculations on how beaten up they can get while still progressing.

It's a very gamey game in that sense, where I'm a firm believer in the idea that the logical choice behaviourally and the best choice mechanically should line up.

If im a party of 3 and I see my path blocked by an army flof gun wielding goons I want to distract it, or find a way around it. Not walk into the middle of it or brawl through it but thats but in this game the rebels take the empire head on while the empire desperately tries to slow them down.

Again, I'm mostly fine withe the game mechanically (the 3p and 2p rules I don't love but whatever.) I just think for a starwars campaign game they should have pulled back a little and put in a stealth element with cards to redirect and putz around with the empire rather than it being a game where you always go head on.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Well I played an Imperial Player with military might and if you let his Storm Troopers get close they were gonna bang you up a bit, with the occasional lucky shot that would take 3 or 4 wounds off.

The trick is not shooting at the big meat walls with the Storm Troopers. Ignore the Wookie and blast the poo poo out of the Smuggler, for instance. I had real problems keeping my character (the Smuggler) alive in missions, in fact she withdrew two turns before the end of the very last mission.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Well I played an Imperial Player with military might and if you let his Storm Troopers get close they were gonna bang you up a bit, with the occasional lucky shot that would take 3 or 4 wounds off.

The trick is not shooting at the big meat walls with the Storm Troopers. Ignore the Wookie and blast the poo poo out of the Smuggler, for instance. I had real problems keeping my character (the Smuggler) alive in missions, in fact she withdrew two turns before the end of the very last mission.

This Is my experience as well, a group of stormtroopers who stay close to each other to get rerolls can really be damaging to ranged characters. I played a campaign with the sniper guy and he was really hard to keep alive.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Has anybody ever had a good game with the Technology based one? Military Might is good because Stormtroopers become insanely powerful and Subversive Tactics is just crazy if your heros don't know how to deal with the constant strain.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Has anybody ever had a good game with the Technology based one? Military Might is good because Stormtroopers become insanely powerful and Subversive Tactics is just crazy if your heros don't know how to deal with the constant strain.

Subbing out an attack die with any other attack die is pretty god drat bonkers. I had to really take my foot of the gas pedal and I still trounced the rebels the entire last half of the campaign.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Ended up playing Armada last night and got my rear end kicked despite being second player with a great Hyperspace Assault play. Some of it was dice. Some of it was that I suck. At this point I'm slowly starting to get a feel for the game after 3 matches.

Any tips or tricks for the Imperial player much appreciated. Here's what I'm running next time we play.

1 VSD II
-Overload Pulse
-Gunnery Team
-Weapons Liason
-Expanded Hanger Bay

1 Gladiator I
-Intel Officer
-Engine Techs
-Expanded Launchers
-Insidious

3x TIE Fighters
1x Howlrunner
1x Darth Vader's TIE Advance
1x Major Rhymer TIE Bomber
1x TIE Interceptor
1x TIE Advanced

The overall idea here is to try to exploit the fact that I have a lot of fighters and can get a whole bunch of them going at once with double Squadron commands. I've also tried to configure my ships to have one long range blaster and one short range, more maneuverable brawler.

Fighter Gameplan: Howlrunner and her TIE Buddies screen the VSD. With a Squadron command of 4 on the VSD they can also barrel forward to become a more offensive tool if required. Darth Vader and Major Rhymer stay with the Gladiator and threaten to blow smaller ships to pieces with a Squadron command (4 blue, 3 black, all hits count) if an opening presents itself. The TIE interceptor and TIE Advanced are floaters who assist where needed.

The VSD gameplan is simple: it lumbers into range and unloads on everyone, using Gunnery Crew and Overload Pulse to try to maximize forward firepower, wear out defense tokens and blast down bigger ships in a couple of turns. I've tried to play these drat things with finesse and it just doesn't work so now I'm going for a "honk honk! here I come!" flying laser brick.

The Gladiator stays near the VSD until it's time to dart forward and burn a Navigate token to pull a Speed 4 sucker punch and go maximum ham on the rear of enemy ships. The Intel officer forces them to skip (or throw out) a Defense Token of my choice because the lack of accuracy on this guy and the effectiveness of Evade really hurts (part of Insidious is to try to get to use black dice at Medium range where Evades don't matter as much). The biggest problem with this guy is to anticipate when it's time to stop doing Navigate commands and start doing Squadron commands to get Vader & Rhymer into the mix. Gonna have to do that a turn early, wouldn't you know it.

Ok, that's my idea. Let me know how incredibly stupid I am.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Aug 20, 2015

TastyAvocado
Dec 9, 2009

Darth Vader and Major Rhymer stay with the Gladiator and threaten to blow smaller ships to pieces with a Squadron command (4 blue, 3 black, all hits count) if an opening presents itself. The TIE interceptor and TIE Advanced are floaters who assist where needed.

Are you adding their anti-squadron dice in there for some reason? Battery armament is the anti-ship dice, Vader and Rhymer are only going to put out 2 black dice against ships.

Canopus250
Feb 18, 2005

You guys are taking me along this time? Right? Wait Shaundi is going? This is bullshit man!

I haven't played as much as Imperial as Rebel but a few points/questions.

-Who are you running as Admiral? Screed would seem like the best option and he works better with the AssCon Missiles over the Expanded Launchers.

-If you are running engine techs why not use the Demolisher title on the Glad? It seems like you are much more likely to get more usage of that combo than the power of the other title.

-The three Ties plus Howlrunner is good (or her plus some Ints) but the rest of your fighter list is a little unfocused. If you are going to run Rhymer then you are wasting his power by not sticking him with more bombers and using them as area denial. You also have too many squadrons without ways to activate them if they don't wind up engaged by your opponent. You could also consider flight controllers if you face a lot of squadrons.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

1x Darth Vader's TIE Advance
1x Major Rhymer TIE Bomber
1x TIE Interceptor
1x TIE Advanced

Kinda repeating what other people have said, but what do these 60 points bring you over another Gladiator? Just a question that might help to put things in perspective. The Gladiator is generally going to be self sufficient, and not need outside help to get into position and fire.

My limited understanding of the game (4 matches so far), is that either your whole list is dedicated to making fighters work, or you take just enough fighters to slow down someone else's fighters. I have found that 2 interceptors and maybe a fighter or two is plenty to tie up most things.

If you only have a single Gladiator and Victory, then I guess you don't have much of a choice than to load up on fighters.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Wow! Ok, thank you for all the replies. I don't mind a dogpile or explaining myself.

Here's the thought process behind this stuff:

Rhymer + Vader: I'm dumb and didn't understand Rhymer's ability correctly. Ok. These are gonna be gone.

Lots of fighters in general: Every single game I've played my fighters get murdered and drat quickly too. Pound for pound, the Rebels have better fighters. Then, after my squadrons are space dust, Rebels start plinking away at my cap ships. Plink plink plink. A damage here, a damage there, and before you know it they're exploding a turn or two early. I'm sick of it. I want a way to make sure that the Rebel fighters get chewed up real good, allowing my superior cap ships to dominate. No more 3 - 4 Rebel squads hanging around at turn 4.

No admiral: I'm not impressed with any of these guys for the kind of list I'm running (2 ships). They are a lot of points if you only have 2 ships. If I had 3 ships I would think about one (and I did, I decided against it). The problem is that I'm having a lot of trouble getting 3 ships in at 300 points. At that cost you are pretty much running "stock ships" and I feel like I need those upgrades. A VSD without Gunnery Crew just plain sucks IMO. You need to be able to fire out of that massive front arc twice to really get your point's worth. But if you don't have Intel Officer or Overlord Pulse a lot of that damage just gets mitigated turn after turn. So you add Gunnery Crew and a way to mitigate defense and whoah! That's a 100 point ship. Admittedly this is a 100 point ship that can slug it out with the best of them, just last game I had it take on my friend's two assault freighters (about 200 points worth of ships) for 3 turns and nearly blow them both up. I'm not unhappy with the VSD but I feel like it needs at least a Gunnery Crew and a way to mitigate defense. So there's that.

I'm trying something new, I've revised my list based on what you guys have said. It's certainly given me something to think about.

VSD II
-Gunnery Team
-Overload Pulse

Gladiator I
-Engine Techs
-Expanded Launchers
-Insidious

Gladiator II
-Demolisher

3x TIE Fighters
1x Howlrunner
1x Tie Interceptor

Ok, I stripped Intel Officer from the brawler Gladiator. He's still gonna try to get in your rear arc and go nuts. The newly-minted Gladiator II has 2 blue anti-squad dice, my concession to throwing away all those fighters. The VSD is still doin' his thang, just with a few less bells and whistles. Howlrunner is still around and has 3 TIE buddies to shred Rebels.

If you're wondering why I keep the Engine Techs + Insidious + Expanded Launchers Gladiator around it's because I had great success with it last game. Same with the VSD + Gun Crew + Overload Pulse.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

You have to have a commander. You can't actually legally fly a list without a commander in it.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Also, you should put the engine techs on the Demolisher ideally, since they allow you to do the second attack after the engine tech move. I've done well against rebels with only a TIE Advanced, Soontir and a TIE Interceptor list: it's a bunch of guys with pretty good staying power that can dish out a lot of damage, especially thanks to Soontir/Counter. Assault Concussion Missiles are IMO better than expanded launchers and one of my favourite lists is 2 Gladiator I and a VSD I all with Assault Concussions and Admiral Screed.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Ok, I didn't know that about Commander. Thank you for the tip, I will work on that. I'll edit my list into this post shortly.

Edit: hell Tekopo followed your advice and I'm sure I just basically recreated your Assault Missile Madness list. I'm extremely low on fighters but what can I do? Hopefully this works. Really sick of losing.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Aug 20, 2015

Hackjack
Apr 1, 2013
Just a heads up that SW Armada core set is on sale at Cool Stuff Inc for $55. I think it's a daily deal type sale.

http://www.coolstuffinc.com/page/1175

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Has anyone tried running a cr90 as strictly a Luke carrier flown apart from your main fleet?

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

zVxTeflon posted:

Has anyone tried running a cr90 as strictly a Luke carrier flown apart from your main fleet?

I've had some luck running A-Wings alongside my corvettes. The 'vettes can go as fast as they please, and the A-Wings can easily keep up/get activated and move around to the back arc of whatever the corvettes were targeting.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Hackjack posted:

Just a heads up that SW Armada core set is on sale at Cool Stuff Inc for $55. I think it's a daily deal type sale.

Ok, god drat it. You got me.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I would love to buy Armada but if I told my friends "hey guys I got this Armada game! It's like X-Wing but with big ships instead of small ones and you have to learn a whole new rules system" they'd probably slap me and say let's just keep playing X-Wing.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

Hackjack posted:

God drat it, I can't resist anymore.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Ok, I didn't know that about Commander. Thank you for the tip, I will work on that. I'll edit my list into this post shortly.

Edit: hell Tekopo followed your advice and I'm sure I just basically recreated your Assault Missile Madness list. I'm extremely low on fighters but what can I do? Hopefully this works. Really sick of losing.
If you are wondering, this is what I usually work on:
1 • Victory I-class Star Destroyer - Victory-class Star Destroyer (73) - Admiral Screed (26) - Gunnery Team (7) - Assault Concussion Missiles (7)
• Total : 113
2 • Gladiator I-class Star Destroyer - Gladiator-class Star Destroyer (56) - Engine Techs (8) - Assault Concussion Missiles (7) - Demolisher (10)
• Total : 81
3 • Gladiator I-class Star Destroyer - Gladiator-class Star Destroyer (56) - Assault Concussion Missiles (7)
• Total : 63
4 • Soontir Fel TIE Interceptor Squadron - TIE Interceptor (18)
• Total : 18
5 • TIE Interceptor Squadron - TIE Interceptor (11)
• Total : 11
6 • TIE Advanced Squadron - TIE Advanced (12)
• Total : 12

You can replace the gunnery team with Intel Officer, but that's the basis of it. I do like insidious but it is only situationally useful. Screed is absolutely necessary to this list: he can make even the most flubbed dice useful and is pretty much my current favourite commander. He's especially good with black dice because of the hit/crit side. I've seen the Demolisher regularly one-volley a Corellian Corvette: if you manage to get range one, you are guaranteed a crit with Screed and if you dice roll nicely and you activate the assault concussion crit effect, your opponent can only negate a single one of your hits since that's the only thing that he can redirect. It's absolutely brutal. And if you don't manage to get the corvette in the first shot, you just move past him and fire from another zone anyway.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What should I be doing with the VSD? (and yeah, that is the list I came up with)

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Drive it up slowly and use the Gladiators to herd enemies into firing range of it. You'll need quite a few maneuvers sprinkled into your command tokens so that you can turn faster. It really depends on what your opponent is using. The VSD will act like a large threat zone: most of the damage will actually come from your Gladiators.

EDIT: Also, initiative is kind of crucial, enough so that I would almost consider dropping the gunnery team and getting a cheaper upgrade (for example, Insidious on the other Gladiator). If you allow your opponent to do hit and runs thanks to initiative advantage, you will struggle a lot.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Tekopo posted:

Drive it up slowly and use the Gladiators to herd enemies into firing range of it. You'll need quite a few maneuvers sprinkled into your command tokens so that you can turn faster. It really depends on what your opponent is using. The VSD will act like a large threat zone: most of the damage will actually come from your Gladiators.

EDIT: Also, initiative is kind of crucial, enough so that I would almost consider dropping the gunnery team and getting a cheaper upgrade (for example, Insidious on the other Gladiator). If you allow your opponent to do hit and runs thanks to initiative advantage, you will struggle a lot.

Good points, things to think about.

Pretty sure my opponent is always gonna run 300/300 so I should be ok.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

I don't know if there's been any kind of official announcement for it but Amazon says that Twin Shadows will be in on the 23rd!

Chance II
Aug 6, 2009

Would you like a
second chance?

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

I don't know if there's been any kind of official announcement for it but Amazon says that Twin Shadows will be in on the 23rd!

Miniature market just shipped my copy of Twin Shadows yesterday.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Tekopo posted:

That's pretty much exactly what I did earlier tonight running a list with the VSD and 2 gladiators.

VSD II:
Admiral Screed
Gunnery team
X17 turbolasers (limits redirect tokens on enemy defense)
Dominator title

Gladiator II:
Insidious title
Expanded launchers

Gladiator II:
Demolisher title
Expanded lauchers

Mission: superior positions.

Comes out to 299 points. He had a corvette, neb B, an assault frigate, and some squadrons (including Luke). I think the ships all had titles, and he had general Dodonna. A gladiator broadside with Concentrate Fire blew out the Neb B frigate in a single volley (1 shield on the side does all of nothing vs 4 black dice and a red), while the corvette somehow managed to survive in the front arc of the other. It ended up with one of the gladiators chasing the assault frigate to right in front of the VSD, and the VSD burning 2 shields to throw 5 blue dice and 3 red for the finishing move. The VSD was untouched by the end, one of the gladiators had 1 hull left, and the other had taken a single damage card. No squadrons of any kind, just an imperial wrecking ball looking for rebels to smash.

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

It's been on the shelves here in MN, at the FFG Game Center and other stores since Tuesday at least. Monday even I think!

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

Zoe Quinn is one of many women targeted by the Gamergate harassment campaign.

Support a feminist today!

Been getting into Armada and I've had a few games now (got my rear end handed to me in each one). Now that I've learned the rules, I'm trying to get fighters to actually work with this list.

Victory Star Destroyer I:
Warlord Title
Enhanced Armaments
Weapon Liaison
Admiral Motti

Victory Star Destroyer I
Corruptor
Flight Controller
Expanded Hanger Bay

Fighters
Howlrunner
3x Tie Fighter Squads
2x Tie Interceptor
2x Tie Bombers
1x Tie Advanced

The idea is that I'll use Howlrunner, the Tie Fighters, the Tie Interceptors, and my Victory Star Destroyer with the Flight Controller to Alpha Strike the enemy fighters. Then I'll use the Bombers and all of my surviving Tie's to help pick away at the enemy ships as my Victory Star Destroyers zero in. (Otherwise I think I'll be getting a Gladiator).

What do you guys think?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Icon Of Sin posted:

That's pretty much exactly what I did earlier tonight running a list with the VSD and 2 gladiators.

VSD II:
Admiral Screed
Gunnery team
X17 turbolasers (limits redirect tokens on enemy defense)
Dominator title

Gladiator II:
Insidious title
Expanded launchers

Gladiator II:
Demolisher title
Expanded lauchers

Mission: superior positions.

Comes out to 299 points. He had a corvette, neb B, an assault frigate, and some squadrons (including Luke). I think the ships all had titles, and he had general Dodonna. A gladiator broadside with Concentrate Fire blew out the Neb B frigate in a single volley (1 shield on the side does all of nothing vs 4 black dice and a red), while the corvette somehow managed to survive in the front arc of the other. It ended up with one of the gladiators chasing the assault frigate to right in front of the VSD, and the VSD burning 2 shields to throw 5 blue dice and 3 red for the finishing move. The VSD was untouched by the end, one of the gladiators had 1 hull left, and the other had taken a single damage card. No squadrons of any kind, just an imperial wrecking ball looking for rebels to smash.

I like the Dominator title but I really feel that you need to have Tarkin as your commander if you are going to go for it so that you can have 6 engineering points to refresh your shields every turn. The VSD lives and dies by its shields: once it runs out of them the ship is extremely easy to kill.

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013
Haven't had a chance to play Armada as much as I'd like, but with the next wave coming out (soon, hopefully), I've played a few more games. I've been using two Nebulon-B Frigates and a Corvette with fighters, but I've completely underestimated how useful the Turbolaser upgrades can be, and I need to squeeze some in on my list. What kind of Rebel lists without Assault Frigates are you guys seeing?

Depending on what everything costs, I think I'll just stick a MonCal in my list once the next wave is out. With lists going up to 400 pts, I might just stick with smaller ships and use more Nebulon-Bs/Corvettes/MC30s. Anyone else have thoughts about how they'll change their lists?

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
The torpedo MC frigate with blue and black dice is going to be a monster if it gets in range. No ships right now get blue and black together outside of a dominator titled Vic I.

With H9 turbos, you can guarantee an accuracy result on a blue die, for your black dice to exploit. It's going to be nasty.

The raider for Imps will finally give them a chance to have 3-4 ships without totally sacrificing all upgrades or fighters. And it's nose also has a decent amount of blue and black. Plus the two large ships are going to be nuts I'm sure.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I doubt that the mc30c is gonna have a turbo laser upgrade. Roughly speaking, red dice are turbos, blue ions and black are missiles. If you notice, the blue only corvette doesn't have a turbolaser upgrade slot.

Canopus250
Feb 18, 2005

You guys are taking me along this time? Right? Wait Shaundi is going? This is bullshit man!

The other MC30 might. The card in the preview shows a turbolaser in the front arc while the one on the actual model shows all ions/missiles. Could also just be a misprint or a placeholder.

God, I just want to see the new upgrade cards and such so bad.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Tekopo posted:

I doubt that the mc30c is gonna have a turbo laser upgrade. Roughly speaking, red dice are turbos, blue ions and black are missiles. If you notice, the blue only corvette doesn't have a turbolaser upgrade slot.

True it might not. There's an upgrade card in the pack though, so I'm hoping it might. Even without, the blues will add a decent chance at getting a natural accuracy result to shut down braces.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Chomp8645 posted:

I would love to buy Armada but if I told my friends "hey guys I got this Armada game! It's like X-Wing but with big ships instead of small ones and you have to learn a whole new rules system" they'd probably slap me and say let's just keep playing X-Wing.

If I only want to pick one to get into, which should I choose and why?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
X-wing has larger variety and more frequent and numerous community involvement and events, if that's your thing. It's also cheaper to buy into to start, and games go much quicker.