Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Can it really be any worse than what we got the first second time around?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

VitalSigns posted:

Yes. No Washington around to threaten a bunch of worthless pols into making a working government this time.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

VitalSigns posted:

Balanced Budget Amendment

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

Rogue operating systems on occasion spread lies and rumors about me.

xrunner posted:

Until the 1920s a woman lost her citizenship when she married a foriegn national. It only took an act of Congress to end that, so it would technically only take an act of Congress to reenact it. If marriage is enough to renounce, it seems like they can make it pretty broad.

Do you think that such a law would hold up post Afroyim v. Rusk?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Stop frightening me.

That wouldn't really happen right :ohdear:

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

VitalSigns posted:

Stop frightening me.

:laugh::cawg::laugh:

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

VitalSigns posted:

Stop frightening me.

Depending on who you ask, Congress may already be obligated to call an Article V convention on that exact topic. (However, some estimates suggest that we are still about 7 states away)

ComradeCosmobot fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Aug 20, 2015

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Depending on who you ask, Congress may already be obligated to call an Article V convention on that exact topic. (However, some estimates suggest that we are still about 6 states away)

It looks like the distinction there is "can a state rescind its call for a convention" and I think the answer has to be an obvious yes.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Depending on who you ask, Congress may already be obligated to call an Article V convention on that exact topic. (However, some estimates suggest that we are still about 7 states away)

If an article's headline is a question then the answer is always "no."

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

This is one of my favorite examples:

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Establishing Christianity as the National Religion

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Take that, logic!

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad

ComradeCosmobot posted:

I'm guessing that in the long shot that one of these conventions get called it would result in pro GOP amendments and policies given that they control most of the legislatures in the country, and in the hypothetical scenario in which one was successfully called it would mean that there were 37 GOP controlled states.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I'm kinda curious what kind of nightmare constitution the current congress and state governments would create.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Radish posted:

I'm kinda curious what kind of nightmare constitution the current congress and state governments would create.

The Gospel according to Paul, Reagan and full ammo clips for the Unborn, amen. King James Version LLC.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Radish posted:

Let me think:

• Unimpeachable right to buy, sell and manufacture arms
  • Full rights for the unborn, banning abortions & any drugs/activities that could harm the fetus
  • Nullification codified
  • Constitutional corporate personhood
  • Legislatively elected senate
  • End to universal jus soli citizenship, defer to states
  • End to universal jus sanguinis citizenship, defer to states
  • Primacy of religions with historical significance in America in speech and law
  • End to federal ability to levy income or capital gains taxes
  • Remove federal primacy on personal acts, substances, behaviors, commerce and speech
  • Create a framework where states that allow acts, substances, behaviors, commerce and speech can be compelled to ban said activity if other states nearby can provide any evidence of a loosely defined "negative" impact.
  • Create a framework where persons able to show significant ($1+ per person) "negative" economic impacts can block the implementation of any restrictions, requirements or bans on activities essential to their economic activities.

What else?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Trabisnikof posted:

Let me think:

• Full rights for the unborn, banning abortions & any drugs/activities that could harm the fetus
  • Nullification codified
  • Primacy of religions with historical significance in America in speech and law
  • Remove federal primacy on personal acts, substances, behaviors, commerce and speech
  • Create a framework where states that allow acts, substances, behaviors, commerce and speech can be compelled to ban said activity if other states nearby can provide any evidence of a loosely defined "negative" impact.
  • Create a framework where persons able to show significant ($1+ per person) "negative" economic impacts can block the implementation of any restrictions, requirements or bans on activities essential to their economic activities.

What else?

The full text is here.

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

Rogue operating systems on occasion spread lies and rumors about me.
The scary part is, unlike most of those hypotheticals, I can actually imagine the constitutional codification of pro-cyclical fiscal policy passing.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Trabisnikof posted:

Let me think:

• Nullification codified

What else?

what does this one mean? Is it the Weed amendment?

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

DOOP posted:

Yes, but it's also the "What Civil Rights?" Amendment.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

DOOP posted:

Sorta, the idea is that it is the no federal laws that do something the states don't want. So no NLRB, no EPA, no Civil Rights as our dear Comrade pointed out, no FDA, etc.

The idea is that the next clause forces states to criminalize weed etc because the neighboring states can claim harms.

The clause after that prevents states from regulating businesses and preventing states from using the previous clause to regulate industry.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
I think that Republican's only control though like 24 state legislatures so the possibility of them doing it is slim and none. It's basically just nightmare fuel for liberals.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Hollismason posted:

I think that Republican's only control though like 24 state legislatures so the possibility of them doing it is slim and none. It's basically just nightmare fuel for liberals.

31, actually. 24 is the count of those with a Republican executive as well.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Still just not something that is going to happen. Although who knows maybe that's the republican's long game, control legislatures then change the constitution through magic or some poo poo.

All just bullshit that's never gonna happen.

Democrats are getting hosed in State Elections though , seriously.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Trabisnikof posted:

Sorta, the idea is that it is the no federal laws that do something the states don't want. So no NLRB, no EPA, no Civil Rights as our dear Comrade pointed out, no FDA, etc.

The idea is that the next clause forces states to criminalize weed etc because the neighboring states can claim harms.

The clause after that prevents states from regulating businesses and preventing states from using the previous clause to regulate industry.

gotcha

that's terrifying

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Hollismason posted:

Still just not something that is going to happen. Although who knows maybe that's the republican's long game, control legislatures then change the constitution through magic or some poo poo.

You only need 3 Democratic/Split-legislature states to fail to repeal a prior call for an amendment though. This would include New Mexico, Delaware, Maryland and Iowa. And Delaware and Maryland have Democratic majorities in both houses and still have outstanding calls for a convention.

ComradeCosmobot fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Aug 21, 2015

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

It's pretty muddled though on who's done it and who hasn't. This whole Michigan thing is just smoke. Seriously it happened a year ago and guess what nothing.

Capt. Sticl
Jul 24, 2002

In Zion I was meant to be
'Doze the homes
Block the sea
With this great ship at my command
I'll plunder all the Promised Land!

Hollismason posted:

Democrats are getting hosed in State Elections though , seriously.
Even after a Constitutional Convention gets called, 75% of states have to approve amendments. 38 states have to approve. I can't see anything like that happening.

Although I do wonder about a direct trade: Balance Budget Amendment in exchange for GENDA amendment,.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

It's just this weird scenario like a tied presidency that's possible but never realistically ever going to happen. If republicans majorly controlled 40 States they'd also probably at that point control the presidency as well.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Capt. Sticl posted:

Even after a Constitutional Convention gets called, 75% of states have to approve amendments. 38 states have to approve. I can't see anything like that happening.

Although I do wonder about a direct trade: Balance Budget Amendment in exchange for GENDA amendment,.

Yes, protecting gender expression in the workplace to whatever degree is provable and enforceable is definitely worth wrecking the economy and destroying every social safety net in the United States. Good call.

Capt. Sticl
Jul 24, 2002

In Zion I was meant to be
'Doze the homes
Block the sea
With this great ship at my command
I'll plunder all the Promised Land!

Stultus Maximus posted:

Yes, protecting gender expression in the workplace to whatever degree is provable and enforceable is definitely worth wrecking the economy and destroying every social safety net in the United States. Good call.

Well, the short drunken response is that, with no real macroeconomic knowledge, I suspect there is enough financial fuckery leeway to make a balanced budget amendment meaningfully null. Depending on the specifics (in this imaginary scenario) why couldn't you call "future earnings" or something enough to balance a budget?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Capt. Sticl posted:

Well, the short drunken response is that, with no real macroeconomic knowledge, I suspect there is enough financial fuckery leeway to make a balanced budget amendment meaningfully null. Depending on the specifics (in this imaginary scenario) why couldn't you call "future earnings" or something enough to balance a budget?

Depends on how it's written, and any shenanigans are liable to be struck down by a sympathetic Supreme Court at any time. Not a gamble I'm willing to take.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
I'm imagining people like Michale Bachman being a part of rewriting the constitution from the ground up.

First off, I'm not gonna sleep tonight. :stare:

Second, they'd have to send people who knew what they were doing instead of just random idiots right?

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

Klaus88 posted:

Second, they'd have to send people who knew what they were doing instead of just random idiots right?

Who do you think would be in charge of sending delegates?

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Who do you think would be in charge of sending delegates?

New Mexico's laws explicitly state that the delegates to any such convention shall consist of members of the state legislature. This is for ratification only (i.e. New Mexico's ratification by convention is almost effectively the same as ratification by legislature, except that there's no division of chambers)

ComradeCosmobot fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Aug 21, 2015

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

This, basically

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Klaus88 posted:

Nope. :911: Any delegates the legislature chooses to send. Although as Cosmobot notes, there may be state-by-state restrictions.

Also, if you think all state legislators know what they're doing, I have a bridge to sell you.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Nope. :911: Any delegates the legislature chooses to send. Although as Cosmobot notes, there may be state-by-state restrictions.

Also, if you think all state legislators know what they're doing, I have a bridge to sell you.

:dogbutton:

I have no illusions about state legislators knowing what they're doing thank you very kindly.

God drat it, I don't think the founding fathers knew what they were doing either, but they knew they had no clue what they were doing and they planned for the long run. I mean, they did manage to write up a constitution without any mention of slavery in it, so they were able to conceive of a world in which the U.S. didn't have slavery anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Klaus88 posted:

:dogbutton:

I have no illusions about state legislators knowing what they're doing thank you very kindly.

God drat it, I don't think the founding fathers knew what they were doing either, but they knew they had no clue what they were doing and they planned for the long run. I mean, they did manage to write up a constitution without any mention of slavery in it, so they were able to conceive of a world in which the U.S. didn't have slavery anymore.
Did you forget the whole '3/5 of a person' thing?