Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

hubris.height posted:

diddy kong racing is really difficult, i remember getting really frustrated with the difficulty.

I find that a lot of fun racers are ruined by the racer AI being bs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
You win in Diddy Kong racing by mashing the accelerate button constantly and you will wind up going faster than any of the other racers.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
DKR is way less bullshit than MK64, because while the AI can maintain being really loving fast you at least have some chance of winning. It's all about abusing the trick where letting go of A as you pass through a booster gives you an even bigger boost.

In Mario Kart 64, the AI just beats you if you get too far ahead early in the race. One racer will get a ridiculous boost and stay there for the rest of the race.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
"Gamers who like gameplay have been starving since the early 2000's" is easily the dumbest thing uttered in one of these chat threads. Congrats program666, you did it

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

bloodychill posted:

"Gamers who like gameplay have been starving since the early 2000's" is easily the dumbest thing uttered in one of these chat threads. Congrats program666, you did it

And I helped!

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
You both said horrible things, but I can forgive program666, because he is the Strongest Man

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

The Colonel posted:

You both said horrible things, but I can forgive program666, because he is the Strongest Man

-Someone With An Anime Avatar

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
haha, yeah. avatars.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

TheScott2K posted:

-Someone With An Anime Avatar

I'm part garbage dick, you blind fool.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I seem to remember that the clock racer, whom you had to beat on every course to unlcok, was the biggest motherfucker in the world and that trying to beat him on one of the last couple of tracks was the hardest thing in video games I ever did.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
T.T. isn't really worth it because he's one of those "super duper amazing game-breaker" things you can only get after you've done everything else in the game.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Nate RFB posted:

DKC1 is good but largely overrated in the grand scheme of things. It's like the first Jurassic Park film, it had its time and place and is hugely important historically but it's hard to revisit if you didn't play it at the time. DKC2 is everything good about the first game but expanded and made more challenging and is overall excellent, one of my favorite platformers of all time. DKC3 isn't bad but it's easily my least favorite, just kind really weird and gimmicky.

jurassic park is a timeless classic pal. watch it again.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
The N64 was way worse than the Gamecube, Wii or Wii-U ever were. It and the PS1 suffered a lot by companies going for 3D games when they all looked like rear end and they hadn't figured out the camera, the controls, the level design etc.

DKC2 is the only Rare game I liked.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

INSPECTAH DECK posted:

The N64 was way worse than the Gamecube, Wii or Wii-U ever were. It and the PS1 suffered a lot by companies going for 3D games when they all looked like rear end and they hadn't figured out the camera, the controls, the level design etc.

DKC2 is the only Rare game I liked.

Gamecube sold signifigantly less than the Nintendo 64 and the gamecube games on the secondary market go for much less than the n64 games.

Gamecube was the only system I have collected for where most of the games I was buying were ringing up in cents.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

bloodychill posted:

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
N64 however, does not have Cubivore

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Nate RFB posted:

I seem to remember that the clock racer, whom you had to beat on every course to unlcok, was the biggest motherfucker in the world and that trying to beat him on one of the last couple of tracks was the hardest thing in video games I ever did.
I thought you were talking about Diddy Kong Racing, not Crash Team Racing.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Nasgate posted:

N64 however, does not have Cubivore

i keep thinking i want to replay that game, but it can't possibly be as good as i remember

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I think I would actually love to replay a lot of N64 games but I can't be bothered to dig up a CRT, emulation on the PC blows, and Nintendo has put like 5 games out on the Wii U.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Nate RFB posted:

I think I would actually love to replay a lot of N64 games but I can't be bothered to dig up a CRT, emulation on the PC blows, and Nintendo has put like 5 games out on the Wii U.

Strange Xbox One has way more N64 games on it's system than 5.

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug

The Taint Reaper posted:

And they are pretty accurate, Blast Corps even has transparency that N64 emulators on PC cant figure out.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
I liked playing deus ex.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

corn in the bible posted:

I liked playing deus ex.

An extremely controversial opinion indeed.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The Taint Reaper posted:

Shame they're all Rare games.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
Rare games are good.

Actually, no, Rare games are... bad...?

I... don't know anymore!

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

The Taint Reaper posted:

there's 22 n64 games on virtual console that can be played on the wii u though.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
The most important thing is whether those 22 games include Sin & Punishment: Successor of the Earth and Star Fox 64, which they do, so it's okay

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

The Taint Reaper posted:

Gamecube sold signifigantly less than the Nintendo 64 and the gamecube games on the secondary market go for much less than the n64 games.

Gamecube was the only system I have collected for where most of the games I was buying were ringing up in cents.

Path of Radiance and PSO1&2 are actually more expensive than most N64 games for some reason, excepting the gold cartridge Zeldas and maybe one or two others?

But yeah most of the rest of the library is cheap, which is good because I loving love me some obscure gamecube games. Gotcha Force is so much my poo poo.

EDIT: I just looked and PoR is 200 bucks holy poo poo. Maybe I should sell my copy, it does emulate fairly well...

Fajita Queen fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Aug 20, 2015

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

The Shortest Path posted:

Path of Radiance and PSO1&2 are actually more expensive than most N64 games for some reason, excepting the gold cartridge Zeldas and maybe one or two others?

But yeah most of the rest of the library is cheap, which is good because I loving love me some obscure gamecube games. Gotcha Force is so much my poo poo.

EDIT: I just looked and PoR is 200 bucks holy poo poo. Maybe I should sell my copy, it does emulate fairly well...

Yeah POR and PSO are the highest two gamecube games right next to the Zelda Anthology

Clayfighter's Sculpture's cut however hovers around that same price as does Harvest moon 64.

and I've got all of these with Sculpture's Cut being the exception....

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I sold my Zelda Anthology and put the money toward XBox One digital purchases

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I sold my copy of Xenoblade Chronicles and bought a digital copy of Xenoblade Chronicles with the money.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Sakurazuka posted:

I sold my copy of Xenoblade Chronicles and bought a digital copy of Xenoblade Chronicles with the money.

I sold Donkey Country Returns to purchase Xenoblade Chronicles, and I still regret that. Not really though because I 100% DKCR

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Sakurazuka posted:

this would be a good idea, but its hard to trust nintendo's current account system. if my wii u dies, i don't want to lose my game

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

The Colonel posted:

The most important thing is whether those 22 games include Sin & Punishment: Successor of the Earth and Star Fox 64, which they do, so it's okay

And yet they do not include Hybrid Heaven, 0/10

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

hubris.height posted:

this would be a good idea, but its hard to trust nintendo's current account system. if my wii u dies, i don't want to lose my game

Eh, from what I've heard it's a pretty simple process to gets stuff transferred, it's still dumb that you have to phone Nintendo to do it at all, but it's better than digital software being tied straight to hardware like the Wii.

Sakurazuka fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Aug 20, 2015

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I try not to buy any game digitally because I'm afraid of losing access to my copy. I don't bother with PC obviously but for everything else I still go disc

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I usually gets discs because it's still cheaper here, but sometime soon my game collection is going to start spilling out into the street and so I buy digital when stuff is on sale.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
i've been meaning to find a better storage solution for my games, if anyone has a good bookshelf or something i can get that will hold them well i'd appreciate the advice. i have filled up a couple of the small ones and half a large one

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

hubris.height posted:

i've been meaning to find a better storage solution for my games, if anyone has a good bookshelf or something i can get that will hold them well i'd appreciate the advice. i have filled up a couple of the small ones and half a large one

http://www.amazon.com/Atlantic-6313...antic+DVD+shelf

I have one of these and my game collection is in the thousands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

My storage solution is throwing them all over the floor like a filthy animal.

• Locked thread