Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Lord Waffle Beard posted:

Imagine being an adult and riding a bicycle around

I don't have to imagine, and it's actually a pretty great form of transportation here in Eugene.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
*builds all infrastructure around cars*

How come are country is so fat??

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Space Gopher posted:

Maybe, but there are an awful lot of devs out there who leave Amazon on very short notice - quickly enough that they're still on the hook to pay back their signing money. A <1yr stint as an Amazon employee right out of college on a resume doesn't even raise eyebrows.
Oh yeah definitely, it varies a lot depending on team. I remember a senior SDE from a related team getting upset that a question I asked him kept him past 5:30 (he had recently immigrated from France, which likely had something to do with it).

Anyway this kind of negative attention is good. People being more hesitant to take jobs there might force Amazon to improve their benefits and work culture. I read /r/cscareerquestions and there's definitely a common sentiment that you should be careful about accepting work at Amazon because of the potential to get overworked.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
http://www.kirotv.com/news/news/beloved-vern-fonk-pitchman-dies/nnMB5/

*21-honk salute* :(

quote:

Robert Thielke, one of the most recognizable faces in Seattle television advertising, has died.

The cause was cancer, friends said. Thielke was 50.

In the 1990s, Thielke became the face of Vern Fonk Insurance, the high-risk and DUI insurer known for late-night ads. Over the next two decades, he became one of the most recognizable faces on Northwest television – as much as car smashing salesman Dick Balch in the 1970s or appliance pitchman Jack Roberts in the 1980s.

One of Thielke’s first ads was a Forrest Gump parody. There was the Napoleon Dynamite one, the Back to The Future parody, the one modeled after Sham Wow, and Vern Fonk vision at a bikini barista stand where Thielke served customers in a pink top.

Don’t forget the Austin Powers parody, the Star Wars and Sopranos spoofs, the hair removal ad, the scary clown spot, the crash test dummies parody, or the annual holiday message.

And then there was the country dance spot that’s been viewed more than 345,000 times on YouTube. The catch phrase in that ad, Shapoopi, adorned T-shirts sold on the Vern Fonk website.

Thousands of people honked when they drove by Vern Fonk, as Thielke instructed at the end of their ads.

Though many thought he was, Thielke wasn’t the man behind the insurance company. Vern Fonk, which also has offices in Oregon, started in 1952 and the namesake died at age 75 in May 2007.

But Thielke, who worked during the day as a company office manager in Everett, quickly became the most recognizable face.

"It basically started out, I was just being goofy, silly in the office all the time," Thielke, who began as an insurance agent in 1989, told the Seattle Post-Intelligencer in 2007. "Vern says, 'Hey, I want you to go do some TV ads.' "

The spots cost between $3,000 and $5,000 – a moderate cost for TV ads – and strongly resonated with Vern Fonk’s target audience of 18-34-year-olds, according to the P-I story.

Thielke got help from his brother, Joel, an actor in California who would come to help film the commercials. Thielke told the P-I he wouldn’t make an ad he wouldn’t show his kids, and had focus groups of family and friends before hitting the late night airwaves.

“I just started thinking of weird, bizarre things that are relevant to society, and make fun of it or parody it," Thielke told the newspaper in 2007. "And I just did a couple of them, and the phones started ringing off the hook."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItWpoUMbqJE

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

That's really weird I was just thinking about him yesterday other day. I guess I always thought he was Vern Fonk him self.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
It seems creepy in retrospect since he somewhat recently did a commercial pretending to be heisenberg. Gonna miss that guy.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
Re: bikechat, do you think this guy will be moving to Portland, or to Seattle

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:

anthonypants posted:

next portland mayor

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

anthonypants posted:

I see bikes riding along the I-5 shoulder every two or three weeks or so. Not within any of the big cities, but in the suburban areas it's not that rare.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

gohuskies posted:

I see bikes riding along the I-5 shoulder every two or three weeks or so. Not within any of the big cities, but in the suburban areas it's not that rare.
You really ought to click that link, so that you can see the pictures, imo

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man

anthonypants posted:

Did Oregon legalize lane splitting recently? I've seen a lot of motorcycles using the shoulders to pass in rush hour lately.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

anthonypants posted:

Okay he's got some balls.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Around here, the freeway shoulder is probably the safest bike path between cities, since the shoulder is basically an entire lane of paved width, whereas the backroads have an inch of paved shoulder at best and people are still blasting through at 70.

Taking the lane on a bike on a motherfucking freeway, though, should not be a "get off with a warning" offense.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

SyHopeful posted:

Did Oregon legalize lane splitting recently? I've seen a lot of motorcycles using the shoulders to pass in rush hour lately.

I'm seeing this all over Seattle too.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

HEY NONG MAN posted:

I'm seeing this all over Seattle too.

How to spot a Californian.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

SyHopeful posted:

I'm fairly certain it isn't legal, but it happens way more often every summer

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man

anthonypants posted:

It doesn't really bother me, I'd hate to have to handle stop and go traffic on an 800lb Harley turd too, just curious because it seemed to start occuring out of nowhere.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

SyHopeful posted:

I've seen motorcycles drive between lanes since I was a child, and I'm sure it was happening before then.

I don't think it's necessarily a Californian thing, just an advantage people take when available. Used to bother me until I realized it was more "why not me???" than "whatta idiot".

Chenghiz
Feb 14, 2007

WHITE WHALE
HOLY GRAIL

anthonypants posted:

It's not expressly illegal and there isn't really any case law regarding it either iirc.

a rowdy mullet
Feb 12, 2009
A lot of people in north central washington are going to lose their homes over the next few days; entire towns are being evacuated right now and there's not nearly enough firefighters or equipment to get things under control. Predicted winds of 35-50 MPH for thursday/friday and no rain any time soon. Some of the coolest people I know are from the Methow valley, this is just brutal :sigh:

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

a rowdy mullet posted:

A lot of people in north central washington are going to lose their homes over the next few days; entire towns are being evacuated right now and there's not nearly enough firefighters or equipment to get things under control. Predicted winds of 35-50 MPH for thursday/friday and no rain any time soon. Some of the coolest people I know are from the Methow valley, this is just brutal :sigh:

Dude gets an A for effort.

:(

edit- Holy poo poo I had no idea. I stopped paying attention to fires when I left the SW. I guess this is a little outdated but:

quote:

All told, the fires have charred more than half a million acres across Idaho, Washington, Oregon and California

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting
Isnt that spot on the map where "Paradise" is near the loving rainforest? How is it on fire?

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

FRINGE posted:

Isnt that spot on the map where "Paradise" is near the loving rainforest? How is it on fire?

A rain forest is just a forest in a drought.

a rowdy mullet
Feb 12, 2009

FRINGE posted:

It's been burning since May 15th :stare:

Luckily it's burning on mountainsides in the middle of nowhere.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Yeah I'm going with some friends to a cabin near Lake Wenatchee this weekend. Keeping a drat close eye on the Chelan fires though since they're pretty close. I wonder what it's like in that area, around Leavenworth, etc.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

My friend posted:

I was literally one of the last cars to make it through. Passed the rangers zooming off to close the road in the other direction. Passed them setting up the road block on the way out. Got to play swerve around the smoldering road debris haha

Here are some pictures he took near Winthrop... pretty harrowing stuff.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
My brain isn't being tricked right - Seattle smells like smoke right now?

Flobbster
Feb 17, 2005

"Cadet Kirk, after the way you cheated on the Kobayashi Maru test I oughta punch you in tha face!"
Was going to go to Leavenworth in a couple weeks but cancelled the trip for other reasons... Might be a good thing, now. I didn't even realize this was going on. I need to read more local news.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Flobbster posted:

Was going to go to Leavenworth in a couple weeks but cancelled the trip for other reasons... Might be a good thing, now. I didn't even realize this was going on. I need to read more local news.

The fact that the entire country isn't going holy poo poo the northwest is a fireball is a testament to how much CNN is not a news org and actually an airplane murder mystery program.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

RuanGacho posted:

The fact that the entire country isn't going holy poo poo the northwest is a fireball is a testament to how much CNN is not a news org and actually an airplane murder mystery program.
They aren't even covering St. Louis right now

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Was out in Colville last weekend. They were surrounded on both ends of the valley by fires in Addy and Kettle Falls. The whole valley is pretty smokey all the way down to Chewelah and there's a general snow of ash in the air at all times. Luckily the farms in the middle are still well watered and green and the fires are staying on the west side. There were only a few homes in Addy lost, but there's plenty of people under stage 2-3 evacuation. Colville lost power and even 911 service for about a day there, which was eerie.

Family on the north side of the border in Midway BC is going through a series of fire refugees staying in their camper while they figure out what they're doing.

Positive Optimyst
Oct 25, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Mrit posted:

I like the $15/hour wage, with a few conditions.
1) Phase in over 3-5 years, then tie to inflation.
2) Tipping exemption. I tip 20% normally, $15/hour + tips is crazy high money. Maybe an exemption that says you can be paid $10/hour and then get tips?(tips must at least make up the difference to $15) Not sure, but its a bit extreme for restaurants.
3) I want the range where salary kicks in to be doubled. Otherwise you will see an even larger increase in bullshit managerial positions paying the same as minimum wage.
4) Probably some considerations for smaller businesses.

I'm from Seattle. I have family and friends there now.

$15 gross per hour in Seattle is a bare-survival wage.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
NWPR on 89.1 FM in Tri-Cities:

"Clear skies except for the smoke, with no forecast on when it will stop"

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Positive Optimyst posted:

That post is over a year old but part 3 has been implemented at least.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

3 wildland firefighters died out near Twisp yesterday. They're sending in the National Guard as well to fight the fires. Sounds like it's getting pretty crazy out there, as if it wasn't already.

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.

a rowdy mullet posted:

It's been burning since May 15th :stare:

Luckily it's burning on mountainsides in the middle of nowhere.

Fires in National Parks are generally left alone unless they are causing immediate danger to people.

WayAbvPar
Mar 11, 2009

Ah- Smug Mode.

My family and I like to drive over the pass to Orondo/Wenatchee/Cashmere/Peshastin/Leavenworth every September to load up on freshly picked apples, fresh cider, etc- we make a full day out of it. I am not sure we will be able to do it this year if these fires aren't under control. And if/when we do it will be sad to see all the devastation. There are still parts of Blewett Pass that are blackened from the last major fire outbreak a few years ago. Nature will make a comeback, but people who lose homes and businesses might not. Very sad.

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

Positive Optimyst posted:

Jesus, post necromancy. Also, I have changed my opinion on the issue, 15 an hour is needed in Seattle with no exceptions.

a rowdy mullet
Feb 12, 2009

WayAbvPar posted:

My family and I like to drive over the pass to Orondo/Wenatchee/Cashmere/Peshastin/Leavenworth every September to load up on freshly picked apples, fresh cider, etc- we make a full day out of it. I am not sure we will be able to do it this year if these fires aren't under control. And if/when we do it will be sad to see all the devastation. There are still parts of Blewett Pass that are blackened from the last major fire outbreak a few years ago. Nature will make a comeback, but people who lose homes and businesses might not. Very sad.

Those places are all perfectly safe right now and could use your business :) . The dangerous spots are in the Methow valley - the areas around hwy 20 and 97 are where Bad poo poo is going down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a rowdy mullet
Feb 12, 2009
Per KIRO , currently there are 100 uncontained fires in Central WA with 390,000 acres burned :stare:

a rowdy mullet fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Aug 21, 2015

• Locked thread