Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

sheri posted:

We had one of those. It kinda sucked. Made you pedal with your legs out at a weird angle.
I have an older model, and while that part does suck, I still think it's more fun to have the kid in the middle. We actually use this one instead now, but your kid needs to be at least like 2 and a half or so to use it, I think, since there's no straps holding them in.

SiGmA_X posted:

My folks had a rear seat when I was a kid. Seems much easier to use!
Rear seats make for worse balance, plus they're just less fun. Can't really talk to your kid if they're behind you.

edit: it also feels safer to have them between your arms, although I have no clue if it's actually safer.

Cicero fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Aug 18, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

I'm actually shocked that one of the stock photos on that one you linked both the child and the parent aren't wearing helmets!

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web
You are kicking so much rear end, way to go! I love your thread almost as much as I hate that Star Wars hoarder thread.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

sheri posted:

I'm actually shocked that one of the stock photos on that one you linked both the child and the parent aren't wearing helmets!
Man, biking in Denmark and Germany sans helmets was the best. It sounds weird or petty, but it just feels better. I wish we had bike infrastructure that good in the US.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

moana posted:

that Star Wars hoarder thread.
Wait I need this thread. Link?

edit: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3722319 this one?

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.

Cicero posted:

Man, biking in Denmark and Germany sans helmets was the best. It sounds weird or petty, but it just feels better. I wish we had bike infrastructure that good in the US.

I just rode around Munich without a helmet last month, and it felt amazing.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web
It's awful. I hate it all, but I hate it worse when kids are in the picture

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

moana posted:

I understand why you hate it now. I just had to see it for myself.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

It is terrible.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
Huh. Thanks a lot guys. I'm really glad to hear the feedback.

Cicero that bike seat looks great. It does look like we'll have to wait until he's about a year for him to be able to get any sort of bike ride unfortunately yeah. Luckily he's 6 months today, so soon enough I suppose. I'm definitely looking forward to it. We want to start doing some family bike rides when we can.

I didn't realize it was considered safe to ride in Europe without a helmet. Interesting.

ExtrudeAlongCurve
Oct 21, 2010

Lambert is my Homeboy

moana posted:

Yeah it's so bad and I both want to stop reading it but also can't stop.

Thanks for being a bright spot in BFC, KG. My son is turning 6 months in 2 days, so exciting. You should post a new pic some time. Happy to hear your financial life is getting boring and mundane. :unsmith:

Robo Boogie Bot
Sep 4, 2011
Good job KG. I'm glad to see this mentality bring kicked to the curb.

Knyteguy posted:

I know it's kind of embarrassing! They're a little nasty yeah, and about the first mile or mile and a half is pure uphill. Alright well if it comes down to it I will absolutely investigate them further.

See that's what I was hoping - To condition myself I was bringing my bike to work every day, and commuting home, after trying a ride to work and getting my butt kicked. After a few weeks of this I again tried a ride to work, and it took me even longer somehow. I was actually like 10 minutes late that time. I haven't tried it again since, which I consider a bit of a disappointment. The ride home at least was enjoyable.

And I just want to thank this thread for bringing the Star Wars thread to my attention. I'm six pages in, and it is captivating.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Knyteguy posted:

Cicero that bike seat looks great. It does look like we'll have to wait until he's about a year for him to be able to get any sort of bike ride unfortunately yeah. Luckily he's 6 months today, so soon enough I suppose. I'm definitely looking forward to it. We want to start doing some family bike rides when we can.
Yeah family bike rides are great. It's a lot more interesting for the kid being on a bike than in a car. Sets a good example, too.

quote:

I didn't realize it was considered safe to ride in Europe without a helmet. Interesting.
Depends on where you are in Europe! The cities we visited in Germany were both pretty bike-friendly even by German standards I think (Munich and Lübeck). And Copenhagen is the second-most bike-friendly major city in the world. I don't think there are any cities in the states that are to the level of bike infrastructure we saw in any of those cities; Davis, CA is probably the closest from what I understand.

edit: this thread is now about the wonders of biking

Our primary means of conveyance in Copenhagen. Wifey pedaled while kid and I sat on the bench.

Dedicated bike signal in Copenhagen. You can find these in the states in a few places, but of course there these were all over the place. Notice how the bike lane is separated from regular traffic, its elevation is about halfway in between cars and the sidewalk.

Residential streets in a low-density zone in Haar, a suburb of Munich. Note how narrow they are. This means drivers can't really go fast, which is good for biking.

Sidewalk + bike lane in Haar on the right side of an arterial road. This is how most of the bike lanes were in Germany: an extension of the sidewalk, protected from cars.

Cicero fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Aug 20, 2015

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Cicero posted:

Good work on the biking. Now get one o' these:

:getin:

edit: y'know, once your kid is actually old enough (~1 year maybe?)

We can do better.

http://bikeportland.org/2012/06/28/with-six-kids-and-no-car-this-mom-does-it-all-by-bike-73731
I bet mom's got gnarly quads

Night Witch
Jul 20, 2015

Katya, my dear, we will live long.
You might want to look into a bike trailer for your son when he gets older. You can also use it for grocery runs!

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

ExtrudeAlongCurve posted:

Yeah it's so bad and I both want to stop reading it but also can't stop.

Thanks for being a bright spot in BFC, KG. My son is turning 6 months in 2 days, so exciting. You should post a new pic some time. Happy to hear your financial life is getting boring and mundane. :unsmith:

Sure. It's definitely been a boost hearing the positivity.

Nice to see you again EAC. I've been wondering how you and your baby were doing.

Here's our baby (on the left with the green car seat cover) and his cousin. They're 2 weeks apart.

Post a pic of yours as well if you want! Babies are awesome.

Robo Boogie Bot posted:

Good job KG. I'm glad to see this mentality bring kicked to the curb.

Thanks. The new tires definitely help. I feel like a teenager riding around again heh. I'm even taking my bike up curbs now and stuff.

Cicero posted:

Yeah family bike rides are great. It's a lot more interesting for the kid being on a bike than in a car. Sets a good example, too.

Depends on where you are in Europe! The cities we visited in Germany were both pretty bike-friendly even by German standards I think (Munich and Lübeck). And Copenhagen is the second-most bike-friendly major city in the world. I don't think there are any cities in the states that are to the level of bike infrastructure we saw in any of those cities; Davis, CA is probably the closest from what I understand.

edit: this thread is now about the wonders of biking

Our primary means of conveyance in Copenhagen. Wifey pedaled while kid and I sat on the bench.

Dedicated bike signal in Copenhagen. You can find these in the states in a few places, but of course there these were all over the place. Notice how the bike lane is separated from regular traffic, its elevation is about halfway in between cars and the sidewalk.

Residential streets in a low-density zone in Haar, a suburb of Munich. Note how narrow they are. This means drivers can't really go fast, which is good for biking.

Sidewalk + bike lane in Haar on the right side of an arterial road. This is how most of the bike lanes were in Germany: an extension of the sidewalk, protected from cars.

Hey cool thanks for sharing. Man that looks awesome. Very neat. I rarely see people riding bikes here, let alone with their babies! When we get out of debt I want to do a little bit of travelling for sure.

Night Witch posted:

You might want to look into a bike trailer for your son when he gets older. You can also use it for grocery runs!

I've been keeping my eyes peeled a little bit on Craigslist. The bike trailers don't seem to come down in price very much, so I haven't seen a bargain yet. I definitely would like a bike trailer if only to extend the things I can do in the future.

edit: making another post for all of this

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Aug 21, 2015

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
Quick work thing:
Talked to the boss about what I said I would. I wanted to know the future of the company, where I fit in it, etc. He says it's likely we'll move me over as an employee of the other company for the added security there, and that if the doors are going to close (which that's not in the cards right now), then he'll give me a month's notice or so and let me know I need to find something else. Kind of like DCB's wife's situation I guess. I asked him why he keeps advising me to interview and look around, and he just said it's important for me to keep my skills sharp.

So that's all good I think. However here's what I really wanted to talk to you guys about: he mentioned that he may want to pay me extra for doing after work stuff on the "start up", but that he can't afford to do so, so we're talking very very miniscule stuff. 2-3 hours a month extra pay or something; not really worth it imo. I said well maybe we can come up with something instead of pay (:goon:). He said "What do you want?", I said "I don't know right now," he said "OK well let's both think about it and get together after a bit to see if we can make something work."

Basically I was thinking of taking him a deal like: one more remote day a week, part ownership in the start up company (10-15%), and all of my extracurricular stuff I have the option of doing remotely. There's over a week until we'll get together again, so I was hoping to get some input from any of you guys who may have any. If accepted it would be a bit of a gamble obviously. That would make me the third partner (one is a very silent partner on the east coast). All of this would written and contracted and inspected by a lawyer of my own of course.

He could very well say no. I have no idea. I've never even hinted at being a partner even though I've wanted it for awhile. This wouldn't chain me to this place, so I could still do this after work even if I worked somewhere else.

edit: and I apologize if this fits in with the thread title.

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Aug 21, 2015

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Your boss is advising you to interview?

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

sheri posted:

Your boss is advising you to interview?

That was a reaction I had - like is he saying the doors are closing and I need to find something else or what? And I asked him that pretty directly. Close to verbatim: "I moved up very quickly in my career, and not all of that was staying at the same place forever. I think you should go try to get as much money as you can out there. If you get something for $86,000... well I can't match that. I'll be more than happy for you however."

He said that for at least the next 6 months there's a ton of work to do. I figure that's a pretty honest perspective. I think anyone who says "Oh yeah there's a decade of work here for you to do" is pretty much lying to the person asking and possibly themselves in many situations.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.
Sounds like you should plan on trying to find something else within the next six months, honestly.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

il serpente cosmico posted:

Sounds like you should plan on trying to find something else within the next six months, honestly.

I think that's a good idea. Now that my wife has weekends off I can spend time bettering my skills. I'll only look for remote work and local stuff this time though. I'll be starting with my wife's work since everything she told me is really awesome. I'm actually a little jealous even. I've wanted to do this even disregarding the conversation with my boss.

e: definitely would still like to hear input on that deal if anyone has any though.

edit 2: I'll be thinking about this over a period of time. Even deciding to look for a new job. I will be taking time to weigh the pros and cons of all of this.

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Aug 21, 2015

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Do not get involved in this guy's startup/business idea. Any free time you have should be spent with your family. Don't work for free and don't work for some nebulous future value. If he wants to pay you for a few hours a month of contract work, you should take him up on that.

ExtrudeAlongCurve
Oct 21, 2010

Lambert is my Homeboy
Hey I think we have the exact same (down to color) carseat! Seconding that you should prioritize time with your family. The last 6 months went by in a blink of an eye for me and now he's doing all these neat things and very close to crawling. :supaburn:

Here's a recent one of mine. You're right, babies are awesome!

I think based on everything you've said about your boss and company, your biggest priority is raising your income right now. I'm so glad to hear budgeting has been working better but budgeting perfectly still won't overcome income issues. I mean, your boss seems supportive of you leaving for a better job so definitely polish skills and keep looking! I'm rootin' for ya (and your cute baby). :)

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
KG, there is more entertainment needed in BFC, so I think it is time you start up on your Star Wars figurines collection. Thank you in advance for your sacrifice.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Did that thread get gassed?

RheaConfused
Jan 22, 2004

I feel the need.
The need... for
:sparkles: :sparkles:

sheri posted:

Did that thread get gassed?

Moved to e/n.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

RheaConfused posted:

Moved to e/n.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3722319

imabanana
May 26, 2006
If you believe in the start up, and can get the equity in writing, then certainly consider it. Probably don't do it, but sometimes taking a shot isn't the worst thing.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Some cute kids up in this thread! Here's my 9-month daughter

I'm not sure I like the sounds of your job security at the moment, KG. I guess it would be alright if you got absorbed into the main company and you could work remotely since that's exactly what you do now and the security of a company that can make payroll is tempting. It just kind of sucks, I hate for you to start the manic relocation chicken-with-head-cutoff-train all over again.

Not sure how tempting the startup thing sounds, to be honest. If it's not a lot of work I would consider at maybe like a "percentage of shares in startup that could be bought-out by your boss at 150% actual value" or something.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
Hey guys sorry haven't been browsing or posting much now that the thread has been in a bit of a lull.

Super cute kids! EAC that hair holy crap :3:. dreese your daughter seems super relaxed hanging on dad's back. I do this with my son every now and then, but he's a little piranha right now and he pulls and bites my hair.

I'm already like "hey... maybe we'll have another baby sometime..." but nah I can't think like that. We can reassess when we're out of debt, and we can actually afford something like a 529 or something. And when we're completely stable. I was just reading something on stability in the home and child development.

Work stuff: I still haven't come to a conclusion. On one hand you guys are absolutely correct that time is already valuable, and that there's a large chance that this wouldn't work out. On the other I could probably take up a greater role in the company which would help my career development. I could argue for a new title, new responsibilities, new frameworks and methods (I could use this to learn say Angular for example), etc.

I don't feel like there's a big rush here to make a choice. Even if he comes to me first I can ask for more time to think about it. A recruiter contacted me about some local jobs yesterday, so I'll probably follow up with him.

As always thanks for the replies.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Let's see those end of month numbers and next month's budget!

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
This thread makes me feel so happy after burning through the last few pages of Blue Story. You are an awesome person.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

spwrozek posted:

Let's see those end of month numbers and next month's budget!

I'm not sure exactly where we stand quite yet. We went over on pets a little bit (2 food orders month), and utilities was higher (thermostat has since been fixed by the landlord, a leaking junction was found also by them, and I fixed the sprinkler wires that my dog chewed up, so we'll be using less utilities moving forward). We still have money in the envelopes so we're good there. Budget next month will be higher as I said. I'm still making it, so I'll get it posted asap. I'm pretty much there but I want to see how the debt pay down will work with some forecasting first.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

This thread makes me feel so happy after burning through the last few pages of Blue Story. You are an awesome person.

Well 1) I'm still not sure if you're trolling. The Blue Story thread has me questioning your motives here, and 2) Any credit to be had goes mostly to everyone else in the thread. I can basically guarantee that we'd still be living paycheck to paycheck if it wasn't for everyone here. We'd have more luxuries and a lot less money. We'd have more debt too. Absolutely.

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Aug 28, 2015

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
GGGC I will respond to your pm when I get a chance.

So I made a decision on the work stuff. I'm not going to bother investing my time into a company on what I've decided is a million to one gamble. I've also decided to start looking for a new job and I'm going to forego working for that other company. I feel like I'm under appreciated despite my loyalty and going above and beyond, often working until 9:00pm or later, and even more often doing 10 hour shifts to "help out".

Do never be loyal to a company, as at least in my case, it never works out in one's favor.

Tldr gently caress my job. I've been entertaining some stuff, but I'll be looking very diligently for a new place of employment from here on out.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

Knyteguy posted:

GGGC I will respond to your pm when I get a chance.

So I made a decision on the work stuff. I'm not going to bother investing my time into a company on what I've decided is a million to one gamble. I've also decided to start looking for a new job and I'm going to forego working for that other company. I feel like I'm under appreciated despite my loyalty and going above and beyond, often working until 9:00pm or later, and even more often doing 10 hour shifts to "help out".

Do never be loyal to a company, as at least in my case, it never works out in one's favor.

Tldr gently caress my job. I've been entertaining some stuff, but I'll be looking very diligently for a new place of employment from here on out.

Even if your job is great and you're respected and appreciated the only real way to get ahead in tech is to job hop. It's also a good idea from a skills development standpoint as it's really easy to fall into the 'foo programmer' trap when you stay at a single job too long.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

I feel like I've heard you say this four or five times in this thread already. That being said- I hope you find something better.

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

Planning on paying down another huge chunk of car debt this coming month?

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

the talent deficit posted:

Even if your job is great and you're respected and appreciated the only real way to get ahead in tech is to job hop. It's also a good idea from a skills development standpoint as it's really easy to fall into the 'foo programmer' trap when you stay at a single job too long.

Yeah this is a concern, too. There's not much room to branch out here. Unfortunately that position at my wife's work filled up, so that's a no go. My old childhood best friend works as a software eng at a huge gaming company here in town. He's actually the guy who convinced me to get into the field and out of warehouse. I'll see what he thinks about the place. I used to work there as someone in production, and I left on good terms, so that could be a plus.

IllegallySober posted:

I feel like I've heard you say this four or five times in this thread already. That being said- I hope you find something better.

Well mostly it was the extra-curricular stuff I wanted to relay to you guys. Also I was pretty much fuming when I wrote that post. I got an off hours bullshit email from my boss that had me really pissed off. I was getting blamed for a problem I'd brought up to him weeks ago that is (still) 100% in his hands. It turned out to be a miscommunication, but still. I hate when he conveys this stuff over email because it's always a miscommunication. Like gently caress after nearly 3 years of working here I'd think I'd get a little benefit of the doubt and not some bullshit assumption email especially on my day off.

My Rhythmic Crotch posted:

Planning on paying down another huge chunk of car debt this coming month?

Not as big as last month. I'll finish up the budget with my wife sometime this evening and see what we're looking at. It has to include some child proofing stuff, and I'm not sure exactly what we'll need yet, and whether we'll do it in stages or just all at once.

Soon we should be able to refinance which will free up even more money for principal paydown payments. We should be looking at another really big payment on the 1st of October since we're not paying insurance from my wife's checks in September.

Aside: I invested $760 of our HSA funds into VFINX (the best fund option they had). We have a little over $1,000 liquid in the HSA to cover anything that may happen. We enrolled in my wife's insurance today and it will be live sometime mid November I think.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Duckman2008 posted:

KG, there is more entertainment needed in BFC, so I think it is time you start up on your Star Wars figurines collection. Thank you in advance for your sacrifice.

I've been wanting to reply to this post for awhile.

Well I'm not much into figurines. I could open a restaurant in a terrible location?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Be careful. The gaming industry has a reputation of usually being a horrible place to work. Compared to non-gaming programming jobs, you can generally expect less money for more hours, and less stability.

• Locked thread