Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

SineRider posted:

This is awesome! Really want to buy one of these but I'm out of room in my case.

The new Qu-bit Tri-ger module looks fantastic too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0iwwI5a9wj0

i insta-bought the tri-ger because it looked so amazing but it has a fatal flaw that makes it more or less useless to me: it has no clock in, and the clock out is not an even division of the sequence length unless you perfectly time your recording.

i don't understand why they shoehorned the concept of "bars" into it when it's supposed to be a fluid, organic type of sequencer. it seems to divide up the recorded sequence into 4 bars somehow as you are recording, and then the clock out is based on that. if the last bar in your recording is shorter than the previous three, the clock out isn't quantized correctly (when it loops, the first clock pulse will be slightly out of time with the last pulse)

what they should have done imho is let you record whatever, then apply the "bars" and clock division ex post facto based on the length of the recording. as it is it's essentially useless if you want to clock the rest of your rig off of it, unless you have perfect rhythm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

Scatterfold posted:

In any case: the Telharmonium. It loving owns. Serious recommendation if you have the cash to splash.

drat. this is the best sounding example of it i've heard. I really didnt like it from any of the samples i'd checked out this far.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Anyone here interested in a Mopho because I'm selling. Would like to check here with my synthgoons before eBay.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

Scatterfold posted:

:ocelot: n i c e. what's making the chords that come in at 0'59"? Was this recorded in one take, or have you edited as well?

Here's a thing I finished last night - https://soundcloud.com/scatterfold/telharmonium-one - using lots of the new makenoise Teleharmonium. Like sofullofhate's track it's 100% modular, recorded in two takes to tape (so two layers of Telharmonic). There's also a lot of the NonlinearCircuits Super Sloth - their 12-15 minute chaotic LFO - all three tracks have some sort of SS influence: the timbre of the fundamental drone, the Wogglebug influence acting as a very slow LFO on the burst rate on the right channel melody; the frequency of fluctuation on the Y axis of Rene on the left channel melody as well as it's timbre, e t c e t e r a....

In any case: the Telharmonium. It loving owns. Serious recommendation if you have the cash to splash.

gently caress. gently caress. That's gorgeous. I don't think it fits at all with my sound, but now I want one anyway.

I should have been clear about my track - heavily, heavily multi-tracked. Hard to imagine how much more than the $ludicrous amount I've already got in Eurorack I'd need to spend to be able to pull that off live... but maybe... :homebrew: :homebrew: :homebrew:

The sound you're asking about is four oscillators, with two tuned ~5th above the others. One fundamental and one +~5th are mixed and fed into a wavefolder, then the wavefolder output and other two oscs are mixed and sent to a vca, then through the delay. The EOC from the ASR envelope driving the VCA is sent to a second AR envelope, which has a slow-ish attack and is fed into the CV input for feedback on the delay, which is what gives it that really dirty "echo" after it releases. That sound itself is single-tracked.

Some of the other sounds are double-tracked and panned to give a "stereo" appearance (you can probably find them yourself). I have been using the MST Dual Envelope a lot since I built it; the end-of-cycle for each env being normalled to the trigger of the other env is loving rad and I really didn't realize how much use I was going to get out of it (that neat little triplet synth towards the end is an A-170 slew generator, with EOC to gate of MST Dual Env1, which triggers Dual Env 2 on EOC, and all of those resulting envelopes being mixed into the VCA CV in, but could just as easily have been, you know, played as triplets).

Goddamn I love modular. So nerdy. So awesome. :spergin:

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Scatterfold posted:

Here's a thing I finished last night - https://soundcloud.com/scatterfold/telharmonium-one - using lots of the new makenoise Teleharmonium. Like sofullofhate's track it's 100% modular, recorded in two takes to tape (so two layers of Telharmonic). There's also a lot of the NonlinearCircuits Super Sloth - their 12-15 minute chaotic LFO - all three tracks have some sort of SS influence: the timbre of the fundamental drone, the Wogglebug influence acting as a very slow LFO on the burst rate on the right channel melody; the frequency of fluctuation on the Y axis of Rene on the left channel melody as well as it's timbre, e t c e t e r a....

This is not at all my sort of thing and yet is entirely my sort of thing. Just fantastic.

Scatterfold
Nov 4, 2008

Thanks all :3:

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
Just sold my banjo and ordered a Volca Keys for the money :getin:

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

Is there a word to describe the incredible anxiety one feels when listening to old mixes through new higher quality speakers/headphones.

Thankfully stuff still sounds good (mostly).

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:

Mr. Sharps posted:

Is there a word to describe the incredible anxiety one feels when listening to old mixes through new higher quality speakers/headphones.

Thankfully stuff still sounds good (mostly).

hörenaltemusikneuelautsprechertraurigkeit , I think, is the old German word for that.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

I just programmed the Teensy for the Orgone Accumulator kit that should be arriving tomorrow.

I am such an idiot (but oh boy I cannot wait to play with it). :unsmigghh:

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
I think it's time. Could you guys remind me to buy a sonic potions LXR kit after I deposit my paycheck tomorrow?

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

sofullofhate posted:

I just programmed the Teensy for the Orgone Accumulator kit that should be arriving tomorrow.

I am such an idiot (but oh boy I cannot wait to play with it). :unsmigghh:

let me know how this goes for you -- i just put one of these together but i seem to be getting what sound like digital aliasing/crunchiness which makes me wonder if i screwed up the filter section somehow. haven't really played with it much yet though

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

Mr. Glass posted:

let me know how this goes for you -- i just put one of these together but i seem to be getting what sound like digital aliasing/crunchiness which makes me wonder if i screwed up the filter section somehow. haven't really played with it much yet though

Interesting. I will let you know how my build goes. The instructions make it look pretty straightforward.

Did you overclock?

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009
yeah the build was pretty straightforward. lots of resistors though. the manual gives you a lot of opportunities to test the build before you put all the chips in so you don't accidentally fry your op-amps (or worse, the teensy) as soon as you power it up; wish more build guides did that honestly.

did you order from synthcube? they're shipping a momentary switch for one of the push buttons so pay close attention when you're installing them. you also need to use the 2.0 beta firmware because of this.

haven't tried overclocking yet.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

Mr. Glass posted:

yeah the build was pretty straightforward. lots of resistors though. the manual gives you a lot of opportunities to test the build before you put all the chips in so you don't accidentally fry your op-amps (or worse, the teensy) as soon as you power it up; wish more build guides did that honestly.

did you order from synthcube? they're shipping a momentary switch for one of the push buttons so pay close attention when you're installing them. you also need to use the 2.0 beta firmware because of this.

haven't tried overclocking yet.

I did order from Synthcube - thanks for the heads-up on the beta firmware.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

I caved and ordered a Beatstep Pro. Should be here Friday. :3:

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

LOVE LOVE SKELETON posted:

I caved and ordered a Beatstep Pro. Should be here Friday. :3:

You have done a Good Thing. One of us! One of us! One of us!

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

sofullofhate posted:

You have done a Good Thing. One of us! One of us! One of us!

I keep deciding that I want one, then deciding I don't even have enough compatible gear to warrant it.

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Committed to burn twice as long and half as bright

snorch posted:

I have the Bass and Beats. I've been wanting to get a Keys for a while, too. This guy has been putting out pretty excellent little songs he makes with simple equipment like the Volcas, iPad, Microbrute, etc. Makes me want to try one out more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnVqYJHJYt8

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

MockingQuantum posted:

I keep deciding that I want one, then deciding I don't even have enough compatible gear to warrant it.

Get one, then you'll get gear to go with it! :getin:

It does lots of MIDI goodness too.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

I'm probably just gonna use it for VSTs mostly. Really want to be able jam something out quickly and have the MIDI of the performance there. Although I do have a Mopho that doesn't get a ton of love.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

sofullofhate posted:

Get one, then you'll get gear to go with it! :getin:

It does lots of MIDI goodness too.

That's the thing... I have CV sequencers, with two for the eurorack as well as the A4. I'm wondering myself if it's worth getting it when I could keep the CV with the stuff I have already and get a good MIDI sequencer plus drum machine with an Electribe, since I don't have much of a dedicated drum machine right now*.The only case I was thinking of is if I get a more portable eurorack case (there's enough of a community here that meets happen) and don't want to take up so much space with a sequencer, in which case the BS Pro is the way to go and I'll just find a drum machine eventually.

* I have an old and somewhat busted Korg ER-1 which is a drum machine, it's just really limited in the sound set.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!
if you think your er-1'is limited, try playing with the audio inputs. i run an oscillating filter into mine and it makes great kicks

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

stillvisions posted:

That's the thing... I have CV sequencers, with two for the eurorack as well as the A4. I'm wondering myself if it's worth getting it when I could keep the CV with the stuff I have already and get a good MIDI sequencer plus drum machine with an Electribe, since I don't have much of a dedicated drum machine right now*.The only case I was thinking of is if I get a more portable eurorack case (there's enough of a community here that meets happen) and don't want to take up so much space with a sequencer, in which case the BS Pro is the way to go and I'll just find a drum machine eventually.

* I have an old and somewhat busted Korg ER-1 which is a drum machine, it's just really limited in the sound set.

I replaced a hardware CV sequencer with the BSPro and have not looked back. YMMV.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

if you think your er-1'is limited, try playing with the audio inputs. i run an oscillating filter into mine and it makes great kicks

The er-1 is objectively limited in its sound set.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

snorch posted:

You should have gotten a Piston Honda instead. https://soundcloud.com/oldstench/chickenpickinpiston

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
I got the volca because it was under 100eur barely used and came with a set of eneloop rechargeables. That and I really like the idea of a tiny poly saw synth; I figure filtered saw waves cover about 85% of what most people do with synths nowadays.

e: keys came. Spent 45 minutes just messing with the touch ribbon playing through just the speaker. I like it.

snorch fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Aug 19, 2015

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

If anybody has a burning need for a copy of Reason 8, I put one up in SA Mart. Listed for $200 but I'd probably be willing to move on that for fellow synthgoons. I badly need to sell it now that I impulse-bought a used OP-1 off of a friend for way less than he should have been asking.

That being said, I've spent about an hour with the OP-1 so far and I think it may be the best impulse buy I've ever made. I haven't sat down with an instrument and actually produced something halfway musical in a long while.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
I've played around with VST synths in the past, but after watching "I Dream of Wires" on Netflix, I want a modular synth SO BAD :stare:

gently caress

What's the cheapest that one can get away with fiddling with patch cables and knobs?

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

COOL CORN posted:

I've played around with VST synths in the past, but after watching "I Dream of Wires" on Netflix, I want a modular synth SO BAD :stare:

gently caress

What's the cheapest that one can get away with fiddling with patch cables and knobs?

5 million dollars

e: real answer: you're gonna be really limited if you spend less than 1000-1200 or so. and that's not even counting case/power. metropolis+atlantis is a good starter combo, especially if you're coming from a traditional subtractive synthesis background, but you'll want to expand pretty quickly

Mr. Glass fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Aug 20, 2015

breaks
May 12, 2001

Realistically I wouldn't bother with modular unless you've got a couple grand to put into it.

Of course then you fall into kind of a haze and don't really remember much until you realize you've spent 5 million dollars.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx
If I were to go modular I would get this pre-configured system or this pre-configured system.

Thankfully I'm not and will be getting a JD-XA instead.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

COOL CORN posted:

gently caress

If you don't have your heart totally set on a modular, there are some good semi-modular options out there that still give you good modulation options (and actual wires because we all secretly want to pretend we're telephone switchboard operators). The Dreadbox Erebus, Kilpatrick Phenol, and Korg MS-20 spring to mind depending on what you're looking for and what you want to connect it to (if anything).

Speaking as someone who just got into modular, I currently have three modules sitting around doing very little and a bank account that can't support any more for the moment. It's significantly less satisfying than just buying a single unit that does cool things without needing multiple other less cool things to support it.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

MockingQuantum posted:

Speaking as someone who just got into modular, I currently have three modules sitting around doing very little and a bank account that can't support any more for the moment. It's significantly less satisfying than just buying a single unit that does cool things without needing multiple other less cool things to support it.

This is pretty good advice, and probably the reality check I need. There's a big difference between "gear I will love to look at" and "gear I will actually use".

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

COOL CORN posted:

This is pretty good advice, and probably the reality check I need. There's a big difference between "gear I will love to look at" and "gear I will actually use".

Yeah the best thing you can do is ask yourself, over and over, whether you really need a modular. If the answer is ever "yes", wait a couple of weeks and ask again. If at any point you find you actually do want a modular, then limit yourself to specific modules and a specific purpose. You'll cut your losses if you find it's not actually something you dig, and limit your initial investment.

I set out to build an effects box with a ton of modulation options, and so far it's panned out for me. But the only reason it's worked out so far is that I knew what I was limiting myself to, I knew what purpose I want my modular to serve, and above all I knew there were cheaper and more practical ways to achieve it. I got into modular because I had spare cash and I have literally no non-audio hobbies, so I felt kind of justified in putting one together for my own entertainment. If I was making music for a living, there are so many more practical ways to do it.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009
go to modulargrid and put together what you think would be your ultimate setup.

now look at the price tag. if you think that's a ridiculous amount to spend on a synth, don't even start buying modules because you will most likely spend at least that much even if you start off reasonably.

eurorack amplifies GAS because each module individually sounds so reasonable. $120 here, $200 there, and before you know it you've got an $8,000 system that probably isn't even that well thought out.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009
all that being said eurorack is awesome and i love it

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

COOL CORN posted:

gently caress

MS-20 Mini, or the Roland System 1m. Or maybe the Dreadbox Erebus.

There's also this thing that I've had my eye on for a little while.

utamaru
Mar 8, 2008

BRAP BRAP BRAP BRAP
speaking of eurorack :lol:

came across this demo on muff today: https://soundcloud.com/audio-damage-inc/psytrance-bassline-sidechain-pumping-with-kompressor
I don't own any hardware compressors at all. I need this in my life. What else is super cheap and fun? A 3630?

e: If you can afford a Shared System, do something else if you want to. Mutable stuff looks good, can only speak to braids and links but it should all be quality. Harvestman and Intellijel do tons of interesting stuff. A combination of either would always be dope. Get a cool sequencer! Get a huge-ish case or you will regret it!

utamaru fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Aug 20, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

Tayter Swift posted:

MS-20 Mini, or the Roland System 1m. Or maybe the Dreadbox Erebus.

There's also this thing that I've had my eye on for a little while.

That (the Pittsburgh 10.1+) might be a good place to start, honestly. Then you still have 42HP to stuff with other interesting things - but only 42HP, which limits the damage to your wallet.

You know, until you buy another case.